Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, a map based on an old alt.history.what-if scenario pointed out by OttoVonSuds over at Deviantart. In this world neither Europe nor China developed gunpowder, kicking off various butterflies.

Technology is basically on an 1820s level, although early industrial technology is more widespread than OTL. Steam ships and locomotives have as not yet been developed. Germ theory and basic sanitation are spreading, which is both good and bad: good that it will lower the very high mortality rate, bad in that it will lower the very high mortality rate (Europe has been scraping against the Malthusian limit for a while in spite of the development of double cropping and other advances in agricultural technique: fewer children dying of disease will just make things worse). Asia too is getting overly crowded; the import of American crops such as potatoes having given some room for further expansion, but things going forward look a bit worrysome. Only in Africa and the Americas is there still a fair degree of room for growth.

With no cannon to knock down their fortresses or massed ranks of gunpowder troops to minimize the necessary skill level of soldiers, the European nobility has remained more powerful, although through means more subtle than “level their castles” most European monarchies have been able to establish their superiority to their noble subordinates. (France has had a hard time, and if it hadn’t been for the fecklessness of the great nobles France might have done better at standing up to the Holy Roman Empire).

Capitalism is underdeveloped by our standards, and old-style mercantilism remains the norm. Banking is fairly limited. Industrialization is taking off in a number of countries, but tends to be dominated by the nobility, which control the towns in which new industry develops, although usually working through commoner merchant intermediaries to avoid getting their fingers dirty with actual commercial dealings. The Holy Roman Empire is unusual in the number of industrial centers controlled directly by mercantile elites, thanks to the Hansa and their lack of feudal overlords save the Emperor himself.

Politics are regressive, with some Amerindian states being probably the closest things to republics in this world: enlightened absolutism is about as “liberal” as it usually gets, and the mercantile non-nobles only powerful in a few countries, more through bribery or alliance with kings and emperors than through institutional means: parliaments, where they exist, are weak. The wealthy commoner classes are further weakened politically by the tendency of their members to buy their way into the nobility. Serfdom remains widespread, and slavery is legal pretty much everywhere, although the much more limited presence of Europeans in tropical America means that the Atlantic slave trade is a smaller-scale affair than OTL.

Humanist thinking was weakened by a slowed transfer of Greco-Roman cultural heritage from Byzantium (the takeover of Constantinople by fellow Orthodox Bulgars led to a greatly reduced diasporah of Greeks to the west) and the Renaissance was a rather more subdued affair, intellectually speaking.

The great Ottoman success was butterflied, and instead the Karamanid Turks dominated everything between Libya and Iran for a while, although they never succeeded in taking Constantinople.

With weaker European navies (no cannon) and less effective armies, Europe never was really able to impose its will on the Asian mainland, so India remains under the rule of local princes and potentates.

The discovery of the Americas was a much slower process, with a number of intermittent contacts over two and a half centuries before regular travel and colonization began in the 18th century, giving Amerindian societies more time to adapt and early exposure to diseases and iron, pigs and horses. Native states still dominate in much of the Americas, most notably the Tlaxcala, who have used European wars and mutual distractions to establish themselves as masters of the Caribbean.

Catholicism remains supreme in Europe and the Papacy is immensely powerful, although the Popes have had sufficient lack of faith in their successors that they’ve stayed away from any declarations of Papal Infallibility. Heresy still flourishes and religious oddity is almost the norm in the *Americas, where a somewhat indirect transfer of Christianity to the locals has led to several variant Christianities at odds with Rome. (Quite a few European religious oddballs head out to the *American frontier, where they obtain glory through either successful conversions or through martyrdom at the hands of the locals).

Japan is about 50% Christian, divided into Catholics and odd local variants. Concern about their possible role as agents for a foreign power (the Papacy) so far keeps Catholics out of the top government jobs. Jews, seen as having a distinct role in the Apocalypse, are under the protection of the Catholic Church in Europe, and anti-Semitic dialogueis reduced to a low background hum throughout Europe, not yet having married itself to ethnic nationalism, scientific racism, and backlash from modernization.

The military is less Nobleman-dominated than before, pike squares, longbows, sophisticated crossbows, etc. all having eroded the primacy of the Man in Armor on Horseback model. Steam power promises such exciting developments as the Steam-Powered Ballista or catapult. Guns based on compressed air have been developed, although the need for frantic pumping between shots somewhat limits its utility. Distilling has led to the development of a sort of Molotov Cocktail, mostly used for Applied Arson, and a form of Greek Fire has been redeveloped. In the meantime, the infant science of chemistry struggles along: in a few decades, they will make some bangs which will be heard around the world...

And here is the map.

NoGunpowder.png

Goldstein

Banned
A sliiiiightly wanky scenario, Goldstein. But definitely in the fine tradition of Sliders plausibility. :D

Well, in this case I first thought of the setting, and then came up with an er... I guess so? justification, so it is much less balanced than usual. I specifically wanted my hometown to be British to annoy one of the players. :D

Cool map, BTW.

What's that?
The definition of irrelevent. TTL, the Congo region's current relative stability didn't last, and the Democratic Republic collapsed. Initially, it was a war between greedy drug dealers, warlords, and the remnants of a corrupted government, but eventually it evolved into an ideological struggle. One element of the Right, founded on an quasi-fascist pan-African ideology, ended up seizing a large amount of territory on both sides of the Congo river. They were one of the 'victors' when the UN stepped in and arbitrated a peace, but in reality they've spent these last decades progressing/degressing to a second-rate dictatorship with technology that might make the Nazis just a little jealous on a really good day. Worse then North Korea ever was in a lot of ways, and friendless in the world. They hold their people in an iron fist but can't project power even into their neighbers, and most people outside Africa don't even remember they exist a lot of the time. The former Congo also hosts two tribal confederations, a failing Left-wing dictatorship, a relatively stable neo-colonial not-quite-protectorate of Brazil, and a UN controlled strip between the last two. One of the tribal confederations is ruled by a woman who thinks she's the Mahdi; the pygmies don't really care.

Dorozhand

Banned
Anglo-Mexican War, May 1872.

The British launched a major offensive in March which broke through the Mexican lines in two places and launched a pincer attack on the city of Tlaxcala.
The British hoped that this would destabilize the regime and perhaps cause a coup against Juarez.

They were quite mistaken. Instead, the Battle of Tlaxcala united the Mexicans against them as never before. Utilizing Mexico's extensive rail system to
quickly move men and supplies along attack routes, the Mexican Army engaged in relentless pushes, stopping the British army in its tracks and soundly
defeating it. The British commander, none other than Prince George himself, was killed in action during the retreat from Tlaxcala.

After one of the single greatest defeats in British military history, the armies would be severely demoralized and the trench warfare which reensued
would further the process. An abortive British attempt to cross into Oaxaca, take the rail junction and cut off overland routes of Mexican reinforcements
to the Belize front is thwarted by the skillful command of the now aging general Diego Muzquiz at Nuevo Ocotlan and in the bloody Third Battle of Tuxtepec.

In California the British fare better, the Royal Navy and marines captured the capital of Arista Territory and marched further south from San Francisco. An
effort to establish a beachhead in the state of Arcangel Miguel to capture the important port of Los Angeles initially succeeded but was repelled in the
Ventura Valley.

A stalemate continues in British Honduras as Mexican efforts fail to dislodge British lines around Belmopan, but British efforts fail to push back the Mexicans
out of the disputed territory. Efforts to capture areas of the Yucatan fail.

The Naval blockade of the Gulf Coast is still interrupted by The Breach, maintained by the Mexican Gulf Fleet, which has proven itself capable of standing
toe to toe with the Royal Navy in its tenacious defense of the Tamaulipas ports, and proven correct President Arista's famous speech urging Mexico to build
up its Navy. British blockades in the south of Mexico are abandoned or broken by the Sinaloa Fleet.

Guatemala's war is going increasingly south as Mexico pushes them out of Soconusco and Chiapas and into their own territory. The Mexican Marines,
established under Arista's presidency, gain some of their first experience landing in Guatemala and taking Puerto de San Jose.

Anglo-Mexican War Climax 2.png

Anglo-Mexican War Climax 2.png

Last edited:
Anglo-Mexican War, May 1872.

The British launched a major offensive in March which broke through the Mexican lines in two places and launched a pincer attack on the city of Tlaxcala.
The British hoped that this would destabilize the regime and perhaps cause a coup against Juarez.

They were quite mistaken. Instead, the Battle of Tlaxcala united the Mexicans against them as never before. Utilizing Mexico's extensive rail system to
quickly move men and supplies along attack routes, the Mexican Army engaged in relentless pushes, stopping the British army in its tracks and soundly
defeating it. The British commander, none other than Prince George himself, was killed in action during the retreat from Tlaxcala.

After one of the single greatest defeats in British military history, the armies would be severely demoralized and the trench warfare which reensued
would further the process.

In California the British fare better, the Royal Navy and marines captured the capital of Arista Territory and marched further south from San Francisco. An
effort to establish a beachhead in the state of Arcangel Miguel to capture the important port of Los Angeles initially succeeded but was repelled in the
Ventura Valley.

A stalemate continues in British Honduras as Mexican efforts fail to dislodge British lines around Belmopan, but British efforts fail to push back the Mexicans
out of the disputed territory. Efforts to capture areas of the Yucatan fail.

The Naval blockade of the Gulf Coast is still interrupted by The Breach, maintained by the Mexican Gulf Fleet, which has proven itself capable of standing
toe to toe with the Royal Navy in its tenacious defense of the Tamaulipas ports, and proven correct President Arista's famous speech urging Mexico to build
up its Navy. British blockades in the south of Mexico are abandoned or broken by the Sinaloa Fleet.

Guatemala's war is going increasingly south as Mexico pushes them out of Soconusco and Chiapas and into their own territory. The Mexican Marines,
established under Arista's presidency, gain some of their first experience landing in Guatemala and taking Puerto de San Jose.

View attachment 236519

If there's one thing I'd like to see, I hope that Oregon gets taken from the British and sold to the (Union!) Americans; we could use those Pacific ports! :D:cool:

A simple map I made. Backstory pretty much goes like this, Germany and Austria-Hungary decide to unite into a single empire, creating a new economic and military bloc in Europe.

Dual_Alliance_in_1914.png

I'm posting this without a write-up right now, but the basic gist of it is that the British-American colonies fail to fully unite after their actually quite successful rebellion against the UK. Butterflies ensue, the current year would be somewhere in the early-ish 20th century. Enjoy!

Criticism, comments and questions are of course welcome (as always).

Disunited States Weird Europe Iserlohn.png

Last edited:
I'm posting this without a write-up right now, but the basic gist of it is that the British-American colonies fail to fully unite after their actually quite successful rebellion against the UK. Butterflies ensue, the current year would be somewhere in the early-ish 20th century. Enjoy!

Holy Portugal, Batman!

Also, my my the Prussians got quite the spanking from Austria, didn't they? Or was the French Revolution butterflied and this is the result of more perennially-shifting alliances?

Holy Portugal, Batman!

Also, my my the Prussians got quite the spanking from Austria, didn't they? Or was the French Revolution butterflied and this is the result of more perennially-shifting alliances?

Yeah, I love wanking Portugal's colonial empire and I won't stop doing it.

Also the Prussians lost their territories in Westphalia and the Rhineland due to a VERY different mediatisation but at least they got all of the former Electorate of Saxony out of the deal.

The French Revolution kinda did happen but thanks to Necker being more successful at persuading Louis XVI to accept his reform proposals, eventually leading to the establishment of a constitutional monarchy. France also did expand during this period but they didn't attempt to get the Rhine border.

Well, at least you had North Carolina separate from that...whatever state that is in the Deep South, a map trope I've really come to dislike for several reasons.

What's up with Louisiana, a monarchy? A colony? I assume that blank state to the north of it is a Native Tribe reserve or country of some sort? Also, is that brown country next to the Netherlands Hanover?

Arkocento

Donor

I spent the last ten minutes scrolling back over twenty pages, you posted a WIP of this a while ago didn't you?

Well, at least you had North Carolina separate from that...whatever state that is in the Deep South, a map trope I've really come to dislike for several reasons.

What's up with Louisiana, a monarchy? A colony? I assume that blank state to the north of it is a Native Tribe reserve or country of some sort? Also, is that brown country next to the Netherlands Hanover?

Well, I came up with North Carolina being seperate after hearing about a rather strong Quaker influence, which in my mind justified it to seperate them from the die-hard slavers of Appalachia (btw, I came up with the name after reading about it coming from Floridian natives). North Carolina is even surprisingly progressive, with them abolishing slavery rather early (I envisioned the 1840s for that) and other nice things. Also do you have something against NC being grouped with the Deep South or Deep South federations (or both)?

Louisiana is a republic which rebelled against Spanish rule during the late 1810s, which sparked the end of the Spanish colonial empire in the New World. It has moderately good ties with France due to a common heritage but it is very proud of its American-nes and republicanism. That blank state is indeed a Native American state, which is mostly dominated by the Lakotah. Also that brown Central European state is indeed Hannover, which has been wanked quite a bit in this universe.

I spent the last ten minutes scrolling back over twenty pages, you posted a WIP of this a while ago didn't you?

Yup, I did. IIRC I even posted two WiPs.

1) Well, I came up with North Carolina being seperate after hearing about a rather strong Quaker influence, which in my mind justified it to separate them from the die-hard slavers of Appalachia (2) btw, I came up with the name after reading about it coming from Floridian natives). North Carolina is even surprisingly progressive, with them abolishing slavery rather early (I envisioned the 1840s for that) and other nice things. 3) Also do you have something against NC being grouped with the Deep South or Deep South federations (or both)?

Louisiana is a republic which rebelled against Spanish rule during the late 1810s, which sparked the end of the Spanish colonial empire in the New World. 4) It has moderately good ties with France due to a common heritage but it is very proud of its American-nes and republicanism. 5) That blank state is indeed a Native American state, which is mostly dominated by the Lakotah. Also that brown Central European state is indeed Hannover, which has been wanked quite a bit in this universe.

1) Fair enough, that aspect of North Carolinian culture seems to have largely been either forgotten or ignored in many people's minds both on this board and in real life. Granted it's not a huge presence in the Upper South compared to Pennsylvania or Ohio, but it's still a notable demographic in some counties. Having them be a major influence on political and social culture in NC is a neat idea that I actually think is pretty inspired.

2) Also a neat idea, and IMO probably one of the best "pan-South" demonyms out there considering that the mountains bearing said name in OTL were still called "Allegheny" up until the mid-19th. Century ("Appalachia" could be applied from the river up to the mountain range itself via the Chattahoochee); with a POD in the earlier half of the century, I could see the name be applied on a wider scale for that part of North America. I'd even imagined it could be a good alternative name for the S.C. in "For Want of a Nail".

3) Absolutely I have problems with it. North Carolina-Tennessee as a whole has less in common with the Deep South than it does with Virginia (sharing a naming scheme with South Carolina doesn't mean anything, they've always been mutually distinctive entities), and seeing it included in such a state sans VA is one of my major splinter-under-the-nails hobby-horses in AH mapmaking. That's not me having anything in particular against the Deep South (y'know, beyond the racism anyway), but me having an all-or-nothing preference for the region's politics in an alternate history setting. Just my $0.02, and please bear in mind I'm glad you went this way, as I find it more believable than throwing it into Appalachia without Virginia.

4) So I'm guessing it takes up OTL Quebec's role as the "France en Amerique"? I like this idea, and the fact that it plays an integral role in the revolutions against colonial rule gives me a good feeling for Latin American democracy in this ATL.

5) Would you say "Lakotahland/Lakotia" is actually an independent and functioning country, or essentially somebody's puppet?

-Also forgot to ask two other questions. First, what's the name of that British dominion in the Pacific Northwest, Cascadia? I'm surprised it's not part of Canada by this point (unless that's in the cards for later). Also, is Hanover still in personal union/alliance with Britain, or gone its own path?

Last edited:
Forget Portugal, Pakistan is freaking huge! And the fact that SE Asia is not colonized by anyone is amazing (unless Burma is French idk) I only wish that Scandinavia had the Hudson Bay and maybe stretch it to the beginning of the red river, maybe have Denmark keep Greenland and Iceland or something. Anyway Great map!

Forget Portugal, Pakistan is freaking huge! And the fact that SE Asia is not colonized by anyone is amazing (unless Burma is French idk) I only wish that Scandinavia had the Hudson Bay and maybe stretch it to the beginning of the red river, maybe have Denmark keep Greenland and Iceland or something. Anyway Great map!

That seems to be a Durrani Empire; but is it still the first one, or a revived one?

1) Fair enough, that aspect of North Carolinian culture seems to have largely been either forgotten or ignored in many people's minds both on this board and in real life. Granted it's not a huge presence in the Upper South compared to Pennsylvania or Ohio, but it's still a notable demographic in some counties. Having them be a major influence on political and social culture in NC is a neat idea that I actually think is pretty inspired.

2) Also a neat idea, and IMO probably one of the best "pan-South" demonyms out there considering that the mountains bearing said name in OTL were still called "Allegheny" up until the mid-19th. Century ("Appalachia" could be applied from the river up to the mountain range itself via the Chattahoochee); with a POD in the earlier half of the century, I could see the name be applied on a wider scale for that part of North America. I'd even imagined it could be a good alternative name for the S.C. in "For Want of a Nail".

3) Absolutely I have problems with it. North Carolina-Tennessee as a whole has less in common with the Deep South than it does with Virginia (sharing a naming scheme with South Carolina doesn't mean anything, they've always been mutually distinctive entities), and seeing it included in such a state sans VA is one of my major splinter-under-the-nails hobby-horses in AH mapmaking. That's not me having anything in particular against the Deep South (y'know, beyond the racism anyway), but me having an all-or-nothing preference for the region's politics in an alternate history setting. Just my $0.02, and please bear in mind I'm glad you went this way, as I find it more believable than throwing it into Appalachia without Virginia.

4) So I'm guessing it takes up OTL Quebec's role as the "France en Amerique"? I like this idea, and the fact that it plays an integral role in the revolutions against colonial rule gives me a good feeling for Latin American democracy in this ATL.

5) Would you say "Lakotahland/Lakotia" is actually an independent and functioning country, or essentially somebody's puppet?

-Also forgot to ask two other questions. First, what's the name of that British dominion in the Pacific Northwest, Cascadia? I'm surprised it's not part of Canada by this point (unless that's in the cards for later). Also, is Hanover still in personal union/alliance with Britain, or gone its own path?

1) Thanks! I always get inspired by stuff I read, so it made sense that it would eventually influence my work.

2) Yeah, that reflects my own opinion quite well since I'm tired of seeing Dixies all over the place. ITTL the northern portions of the Appalachians are still called Allegheny Mountains, by the way.

3) I can see why people do it: It creates an almost perfect straight line, which seems like a good idea to separate "north" from "south" (personally I blame Glen's TL "Dominion of Southern America" for this) but once you know that NC only joined the Confederacy after Virginia did, you should get the idea that NC is too different from SC (demographic maps also help).

4) Kinda. Since it is a fully sovereign state there is a different relationship going on than Quebec's OTL one. Also Louisiana definitely had an influence on the Latin American revolutionaries, with Mexico, Peru and Chile in particular being quite good examples of democracies. Of course there are/were black sheeps and dark periods but that's life/history for you.

5) The Great Plains Confederacy (while the Lakotah dominate, they didn't get naming rights) is an indepedent nation, definitely, but mostly on the virtue of not being worth the effort to subjugate them. Trade occurs almost exclusivly with its neighbors and they don't make an effort to make themselves that diplomatically visible beyond North America.

6) That's Oregon (Columbia was out of the cards due to the US-equivalent being called Columbia ITTL, Cascadia is a too modern term) and it isn't part of *Canada because Manitoba and the territories formed out of the old Hudson Bay Company were just recently added to *Canada (seriously, I have no name for that thing... OTL's Quebec province is called Canada ITTL, though) and they might separate from them again soon since Manitoba isn't pleased with the "you gain self-government if you join [*Canada]"-deal the UK imposed on them. Oregon is too distant from Quebec City, too, so that is out of the cards.

7) Hannover was dropped by the British ASAP, probably in the 1820s or so. London didn't care about European territories, especially considering how much Hannover had grown by that point thanks to mediatisation. However there are good relations between the two nations thanks to family ties but there isn't a formal alliance.

That "Pakistan" is the Durrani Empire, an Afghan state that managed to grow immensely and somehow managed to survive, too, so yes, Stuyvesant is right. Next to it are the Second Mughal Empire and Rajahstan, by the way, and both "came back" thanks to TTL's equivalent of the Sepoy Mutiny. The South-East Asian states are all independent, yes, mostly thanks to modernization efforts, clever diplomacy and luck.

Scandinavia couldn't own more of North America due to the old British presence and in fact the Swedish-dominated state only managed to grab Norway (together with Iceland and Greenland) thanks to a quite costly war with Denmark, which is a shadow of its former self by now (even though they still have Schleswig-Holstein).

Nietzsche's Children - map of the Tightrope Walker universe

A scenario I made for a RPG campaign, diverging in the 1760's

I love it - I'm guessing nationalism is dead in this world, given the lack of German-Italo unification. That Chinese voivodeship must be hell to control though.

And here is the map.

Really nice work - with your usual fantastic level of detail (albeit, I notice, no 20 :) ). Is OttoVonSuds also RoyalPsycho? I couldn't find the scenario on OttoVonSuds's account but did find a similar (in terms of the HRE-Russia thing anyway) map here.

I have to wonder whether something explosive wouldn't be found in the absence of saltpeter - even if we're talking a Dies The Fire-style laws of physics change, the tendency of flour to explode was known centuries before gunpowder, and once you start mining coal, the same principle allows for some pretty effective explosives (albeit in the form of big pots you have to put at the base of walls, not cannons).

---

"When wars were decided by armed forces alone - that is, by only a small part of resources of nations - all those resources which were not put into the game remained untouched in the case of both victor and vanquished. The effects of the war were relative, hardly felt by the people, simply the exaction of tribute from the vanquished with which to begin the game all over again. But the World War exhausted the resources of all the people involved in it; as a consequence of its having been decided by the complete disintegration of all the forces of one side under the pressure of all the forces of the other side, the victors were left prostrate and the vanquished stripped of everything."
Giulio Douhet, The Command of the Air, 1921

I've been doing some work on the Tightrope Walker setting, in particular how the alt-WW2 will play out. The below is an achronological map mapping out the main differences. The major POD of the setting is the establishment in Britain of a social experiment to create Slan-esque multidisciplinary geniuses through a programme of scientific nutrition, exercise and education. Minor PODs include the much wider distribution of Giulio Douhet's 'The Command of the Air' and British factories using a standardised multitool set. The Tightrope Walkers, the products of said social experiment, are covertly sent to Spain and manage to engineer a narrow Republican victory in the Civil War.

My principle challenge has been how to allow the Axis to respond organically to the different challenges they face as a result of the TWs' actions rather than just being a punching bag, Drakaverse-style, as well as seeing where the TWs would be just as blindsided as the OTL generals (Singapore being a good case - troops bicycling through terrain previously considered impassable). The Axis wages a much more successful propaganda war, keeping the Americans out until the :)cough:untimely) death of FDR, and boxing cleverer as a result of the lessons learnt from the Spanish Civil War.

Notable divergences:
- Successful Allied intervention in Norway, which gets used as an aircraft carrier for the rest of the war
- German occupation of Spain and subsequent occupation of Morocco by Britain (I have depicted Gibraltar as unoccupied because my initial ideas included the Rock holding out and being resupplied by air, but I have since been advised this is wildly unlikely and its loss would not significantly impact the Allied war effect given they now have Tangiers and the Balearics)
- De Gaulle doesn't make it out and France is given more favourable terms of occupation - attempts to organise a Free French movement fail
- Belgian Rexists are more successful and Belgium becomes a model collaborationist government. The Congo is under nominal Axis control (save for Ruanda-Urundi, taken by a British militia force). Katanga declares independence and begs for Allied assistance, but is ignored.
- With German forces used elsewhere, Italy is unable to force an overland route to Greece through Yugoslavia and settles for a separate peace establishing a Croatian puppet on the areas it controls as well as annexing Dalmatia. Greece remains an active front for the whole war, with Germany dismissing it as an Italian colonial venture.
- The TWs accelerate the timeline for Indian independence, creating a second, Hindu-dominated 'Indian National Army' of five million men alongside the British Indian Army (not to be confused with the OTL INA created by Mohan Singh with Japanese backing). Muslims are appalled by this move and Muslim-majority states refuse independence, creating the rather awkward situation seen below.

The map:

TW.png~original

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.