AHC: Right wing terror groups in the US

Wow, y'all do understand that there's already a terrorist group that bombs and held hostages of abortion clinics and gay pubs right? It's been there since the late 80s and throughout the 90s and 00s.

If you're talking about Army of God, they have nowhere near the status today of, say, the Weathermen, let alone the Red Army Faction.

Militant movements tend to do best when the powerful and well-connected are giving them weapons and legal cover. This is as true in America as anywhere else. In order to have a surge of right-wing terrorism, you need to have at least one powerful section of society or government who, if not exactly sympathetic with their values, at least wants to use them as tools to further their domestic power. ....

- Local bigwigs, feeling threatened by the power of corporate titans and the feds, begin to quietly shift money and resources to their favored proxies. Think along the lines of a violent Tea Party movement.

This is exactly what kept the KKK going in the 1950s, & perhaps earlier. Local leaders in politics & business who would have seldom been caught touching a white robe or in view of flaming cross, used working class KKK members to achieve local goals. In the 1960s the FBI investigations into the KKK threatened to expose some of this and other tools were looked for.

Neither is it much different from local leaders using the Mafia or other organized crime groups as muscle to terrorize their targets into submission, or eliminate them. It is not hard to see how either of these might be the model for one or another powerful individual or group to attempt terror as a political or economic weapon.

If you're talking about Army of God, they have nowhere near the status today of, say, the Weathermen, let alone the Red Army Faction.

The only time the Weathermen succeeded in killing anyone was themselves, by accident, while the Army of God succeeded in killing people far more often and repeatedly.

The Red Army Faction is also not a valid point of comparison since they were an active GERMAN organization and not an American one.

It is also worth pointing out that Timothy McVeigh, a solidly right-wing terrorist, was only beaten in his body count by 9/11 which to me says enough about the viability of right-wing and far-right terrorism compared to left-wing equivalents in the United States.

Yeah but you can increase that terrorists organisation. Say the US government shifted more to the left, legalising gay marriages earlier and allowing more abortion clinics to remain open. This would create a reaction from the right and the Army of God may just increase in numbers.

Morty Vicar

Banned
That statement reeks of Islamophobia.

I completely disagree with the notion that christianity was non-violent, however he is basically right on the second part. According to many hadiths and even the prophet himself, not to mention most current Islamic scholars, mohammed went to war to gather converts. In what way is that not violent? And why is it Islamophobic to point that out, when most muslims will agree that Mohammed went to war? This is why I hate the term Islamophobia, it basically means nobody can criticise any aspect of Islam for fear of being labeled 'Islamophobic'. What we need to worry about is Muslimophobia, people who attack muslims, not those who attack the ideology itself.

The problem is there is no tradition of right wing terror in the modern United States. Almost all right wing violence is of the hands of a lone extremeist. Even the anti-arbortion killings are not conspiracies.

Since the FBI is overly whelmingly white and male, if any such terror group did exist it would be quickily infriltrated and have the book thrown at it.

There would be no academics giving it intellectual cover, no USSR giving clandestine support, no ethnic fellow travellers giving it cover. If you think White people in Idaho would just look the other way for these guys you are very wrong. The IRA did receive plenty of low level support in the USA.

The international left is simply more sypathetic for these tactics. There really is no international right.

Note it would be very easy to create such a group. First you would need somebody or some activity to fund it. A right wing American based drug cartel or have Putin, who is the only major leader who could possibly give any sort of support for such an organization give it the green light.

Then there would have to be a cause. The Ruby Ridge people believed some really vile stuff, but they just really wanted to be left alone, which is why they generated so much sympthathy. So you need a cause where people could claim the victim even as they kill hundreds.

With a POD starting in the last couple of years, the most plausible is that one of the latin drug gangs drawing members from nations like Columbia and parts of Central America where there is a tradiotion of right wing death squads start preaching a strong Catholic/Evangelical Ideology in Prison. This major gangs kills people it deems anti-Christain and also as a matter of business goes after and intimidates other competing groups like blacks.

The FBI can't infriltrate them since they didn't grow up in those neihborhoods and become a gang member at 15. Being a minority group that suffered discrimination they get a lot of syphathetic coverage. The dirty little secret is that terrorism works. So the more they kill the more mindspace the group achieves.

Lateknight

Banned
The problem is there is no tradition of right wing terror in the modern United States. Almost all right wing violence is of the hands of a lone extremeist. Even the anti-arbortion killings are not conspiracies.

Since the FBI is overly whelmingly white and male, if any such terror group did exist it would be quickily infriltrated and have the book thrown at it.

There would be no academics giving it intellectual cover, no USSR giving clandestine support, no ethnic fellow travellers giving it cover. If you think White people in Idaho would just look the other way for these guys you are very wrong. The IRA did receive plenty of low level support in the USA.

The international left is simply more sypathetic for these tactics. There really is no international right.

Note it would be very easy to create such a group. First you would need somebody or some activity to fund it. A right wing American based drug cartel or have Putin, who is the only major leader who could possibly give any sort of support for such an organization give it the green light.

Then there would have to be a cause. The Ruby Ridge people believed some really vile stuff, but they just really wanted to be left alone, which is why they generated so much sympthathy. So you need a cause where people could claim the victim even as they kill hundreds.

With a POD starting in the last couple of years, the most plausible is that one of the latin drug gangs drawing members from nations like Columbia and parts of Central America where there is a tradiotion of right wing death squads start preaching a strong Catholic/Evangelical Ideology in Prison. This major gangs kills people it deems anti-Christain and also as a matter of business goes after and intimidates other competing groups like blacks.

The FBI can't infriltrate them since they didn't grow up in those neihborhoods and become a gang member at 15. Being a minority group that suffered discrimination they get a lot of syphathetic coverage. The dirty little secret is that terrorism works. So the more they kill the more mindspace the group achieves.

No tradition ? You know that the KKK has existed in one form or another for around 150 years right I think all together they have killed more than four thousand people.

No tradition ? You know that the KKK has existed in one form or another for around 150 years right I think all together they have killed more than four thousand people.

Look at the POD which he gives as 2008. Or even the original post which has the POD in the 1990s.

By this era the Klu Klux Klan is a spent force. I thought it was in poor taste, but at a Halloween party I was at, somebody dressed up as a Klansman because it was a very cheap, very easy to make, and very outrageous costume. Thus the Klan joins pirates and witches as people who used to be scary but now are just figures of fun.

PS the guy was Indian, which was the joke. He was born here so he wasn't clueless about who these people were.

Last edited:

No, my statement reeks of historical fact.

Both the Christians and the Muslims have some violent history. However, religion plays only to rile up the uneducated in what is usually the desire to achieve political goals.

The fact remains, Christ wanted his story spread by word, Muhammad by the sword. One of the major differences between evangelicalism and fundamentalism. most Christians are evangelical but not fundamentalist. Muslims are more fundamentalist.

No, it's history -- something that most people here have some respect for.

You can draw different conclusions from historical facts, but trying to suppress factual discussion by tossing in the trusty old bias-accusation card is... disturbing.

You can draw different conclusions from historical facts, but trying to suppress factual discussion by tossing in the trusty old bias-accusation card is... disturbing.

I AGREE. Just stating this as Islamophobic without having to see historical references isn't really helpful to understand the whole Christian-Islam collision over the centuries.

ThePest179

Banned
I AGREE. Just stating this as Islamophobic without having to see historical references isn't really helpful to understand the whole Christian-Islam collision over the centuries.

No, my statement reeks of historical fact.

Both the Christians and the Muslims have some violent history. However, religion plays only to rile up the uneducated in what is usually the desire to achieve political goals.

The fact remains, Christ wanted his story spread by word, Muhammad by the sword. One of the major differences between evangelicalism and fundamentalism. most Christians are evangelical but not fundamentalist. Muslims are more fundamentalist.

I completely disagree with the notion that christianity was non-violent, however he is basically right on the second part. According to many hadiths and even the prophet himself, not to mention most current Islamic scholars, mohammed went to war to gather converts. In what way is that not violent? And why is it Islamophobic to point that out, when most muslims will agree that Mohammed went to war? This is why I hate the term Islamophobia, it basically means nobody can criticise any aspect of Islam for fear of being labeled 'Islamophobic'. What we need to worry about is Muslimophobia, people who attack muslims, not those who attack the ideology itself.

I admit I was wrong and I conceed the point. He just came off as insensitive at first. I apologize.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The problem with the original request is while both parties/left v right have extremists, the original poster stated fundamentalist/evangelical Christians be the terrorists. That's absurdly unlikely since the object of their religion, Jesus Christ, was largely non-violent. Unlike Muhammed, who cared a path of violence through the 880sAD. Most attempts of "Christian" violence in the US have usually vehemently discouraged by other Christians, who immediately chastise or distance themselves from anyone advocating that.

Most militias are nothing more than weekend shooting groups and or survivalist groups awaiting some sort of disaster or apocalypse (which both are and are not Religious or Christian based! More often not). Timothy Mcveigh was actually asked to leave the Michigan Militia Corp as being to violent and radical. I studied militia groups in college extensively (and this was before and after the OKC bombing and I was going to school in Edmond, OK) and found them ultimately , relatively harmless. I would caveat that some might consider direct reactionary action in the event of near total gun confiscation, but that's not a terribly popular idea in most of the Midwest and south and would cause issues among many in the populous at large.

No, right wing Christian violence, is for the most part, one big media/lefty wet dream.
Well, thanks for stopping by.

I think you should have taken a left at Albuquerque. This sort of BS doesn't play well here.

We divorce you.

To Coventry with you.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Anyone who claims:

1. Right Wing Militias are not violent because they are Christian

and

2. Talks about the blood soaked path of Islam in the 880s without the slightest trace of irony

Is both 1. Wrong and 2. Remarkably selective with the facts.

KKK is a "Christian Group". Until far too recently their main weekend activity was finding an African American doing something uppity, like walking down the street, and, if the poor soul was fortunate, beating the crap out of him. Oklahoma City was Christian Militia. The only thing different about McVeigh was that he actually had the guts to do what these groups all talk about doing. The fact that the rest of them are cowards doesn't mean his beliefs were any different.

Talking about Islam being a violent religion and not saying the exact same thing about Christianity is, to put it mildly, bullshit.

Two words: Crusades. Inquisition. Two more words Deus vult!

Recall how Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire in the course of winning a battle & war. The intramural Thirty Years War were not exactly a polite ice cream social. Despite what Christ and the Apostles preached their sucessors and history have played it differently.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Recall how Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire in the course of winning a battle & war. The intramural Thirty Years War were not exactly a polite ice cream social. Despite what Christ and the Apostles preached their sucessors and history have played it differently.

Absolutely.

For that matter you don't need to go back to the 30 Years War. 1980 Northern Ireland will do just fine as an example (and that is over when the Archbishop of Rome or the Archbishop of Canterbury is the leader, the dogma are pretty much identical otherwise).

Anyone who claims:

1. Right Wing Militias are not violent because they are Christian

and

2. Talks about the blood soaked path of Islam in the 880s without the slightest trace of irony

Is both 1. Wrong and 2. Remarkably selective with the facts.

KKK is a "Christian Group". Until far too recently their main weekend activity was finding an African American doing something uppity, like walking down the street, and, if the poor soul was fortunate, beating the crap out of him. Oklahoma City was Christian Militia. The only thing different about McVeigh was that he actually had the guts to do what these groups all talk about doing. The fact that the rest of them are cowards doesn't mean his beliefs were any different.

Talking about Islam being a violent religion and not saying the exact same thing about Christianity is, to put it mildly, bullshit.

Sad but damn true in both cases. No one religion is immune from extremist interpretations.