Map Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see that happening. Salazar's "New State" put a great emphasis on Portugal's colonial empire, claiming that it was only the retention of the Portuguese colonies that gave Portugal the right to great-power pretensions.

I understand and for a time they retained it, but after thier economy fell out, they were bullied into relinquishing them. This was around the 50's.

Hapsburg

Banned
The same TL, but a global map, and one year later.
World Map, c.1841.
globe1841lx8.png

In the larger world, the United States of America, under Emperor George II, has engaged British troops in the Republic of Cascadia, which was formed in 1835 as a compromise over territorial disputes in Oregon. War has now broken out, and American professional soldiers move in to seize Cascadia. The troops are led by Robert, Prince of Virginia, a distinguished officer and adopted son (and heir) of Emperor George II. The United States is also on the brink of war with Mexico, as the Republic of Texas attempts to curry favor with the US. The United States, however, refuses to engage Mexico when they already have a war with Great Britain on their hands.
Nearby, Haiti is split between the northern Kingdom and the southern Republic. War is a constant part of life in Haiti, and America sends a force of Marines and naval ships to quell the conflict and bring stability to the Caribbean. In South America, Colombia begins to break apart, so the government compromises with rebels in Venezuela and Ecuador. Thus, the Federatl Republic of Grand Colombia is formed.
In North Africa, the Ottoman Empire attempts to maintain control of its rebellious Beys in the Sahara. Egypt especially is fighting against turk dominance. Mohammed Ali, ruler of Egypt, has declared himself to be Emperor of Egypt, and established a secular imperial government on the model of France. This garners for him the military support and diplomatic alliance of France. The sultanates of Tunis, Algiers, Tripolitania, and Cyrenaica bond together in a political federation what is called the Confederation of the Maghreb. Nearby, in Morocco, Sultan Mulay Slimane declares himself King of the Moors, and engages in military expeditions to seize land in the southwest Sahara. In the Levant, French and Egyptian troops capture land, and France forms the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the Kingdom of Cyprus, and the Kingdom of Antioch. Napoleon II takes for himself the Cypriot and Antiochid royal domains, but bestows the Kingdom of Jerusalem upon his uncle, the aging Joseph of Aragon. Egypt obtains the Arabian coast, and France buys Punt Province from Egyptian administration.
The US and Britain carry their war on in Africa, as British colonies and American Liberia fight a brutal guerrilla war. Minor African states in West Africa agree to alliances and confederations amongst each other, realizing that their only chance to survive is to unite, and they begin to choose sides, and West Africa quickly becomes polarized between America and Britain. In Canada, an Act of Union unified Upper and Lower Canada into the United Kingdom of Canada, a nation which has de jure independence, but de facto is controlled by Britain. Canadian and British troops prepare to invade America proper, while American forces in the northeast capture New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Some citizens in Canada actively collaborate with American soldiers, and help form the captured land into the Acadia Territory. This is in preparation for Acadian statehood. The Anglo-American War drags on...

Hapsburg

Banned
I wonder how Vietnam got wrangled into the RoC.
Anyway...

A map of the region of space in and around the conflict from 3848-3853 known as the War of Man, an uprising of pan-human nationalists and humanist separatists who form a radical nationalist state, supported by the Starfront Directorate.
map3848to3853ok6.png

Whats the pod? Future history?

I don't know exactly. It's sometime in the '40s.

The map is illogical:confused:

Thank you, Mr. Spock.

Bolivia in Brazil? Turkmenistan...TURKMENISTAN back under Russian rule? Israel obliterated?

Israel was never created.

I doubt that Turkey will be in the EU before the Swiss decide to join.

Who knows?

Maybe I should've posted this as a challenge?

Oh, and Hapsburg just got post #1066. He shall forever be known as... Norman.

Hapsburg

Banned
Another continuation...
World Map, 1900.
globe1900bc0.png

In the late 1860s, the Dutch and Flemish rebelled en masse agains their French overlords, and gained an ally in Germany. Seeing an opportunity, Prussia officially joined the German Union as a member state, and added thier military forces to the German Armed Forces. The French were defeated in 1869, and French Emperor Lucien II conceded to Dutch independence. The Dutch throne was given to Alexander I of Suriname and Indonesia, the Prince of Orange. He took the title William I, King of the Netherlands.
In the War of Lower Saxony, 1870-1871, Germany fought against Denmark for control of Schlesig-Holstein, and Mecklenburg. They won, despite heavy losses. In 1872, Joseph I, Emperor of the Germans & King of Frankfurt and Westphalia, dies from an assassin's bullet. A fervent German nationalist, Heinrich von Fallersleben, walks up to Joseph and shoots him twice in the face with a .45 caliber revolver, before turning the gun on himself. The King of Prussia, William I, is elected Emperor of the Germans. Though particular of his own nation, Prussia, his ministers have influenced to the cause of German nationalism. He uses the Germany army to eject the Bonapartes from Westphalia and Frankfurt, and annexes them to Prussia, taking their royal titles in the process. He begins an diplomatic campaign for a German colonial empire. He often comes into conflict with France and Britain, but the British more often than not work with Germany, seeing them as the lesser of two evils. Meanwhile, other nations expand thier colonial Empires. In 1881, the Conference of Utrecht settles much of the colonial disputes, and speeds up the Scramble for Africa. One settlement, the cession of Tunisia to the United Kingdom of Sicily, causes the creation of a new state: the Kingdom of the Three Sicilies, in 1883.
Across the sea, the US occupies Cuba and Hawaii by 1886, citing regional conflicts as a potential destabilizing element in the whole of North America; Hawaii is made a directly-administrated Territory in 1889, while Haiti becomes an autonomous Commonwealth in 1891. American businessmen and a battalion of Marines arrange the at-gunpoint purchase of Panama from Colombia in 1893. In 1895, the US and Britain urge Spain to relinquish its control over Cuba and its Pacific colonies. Spain refuses. In early 1896, the United States and Britain declare war on Spain, and directly aid Cuban Rebels. In a peace treaty later that year, Spain cedes all of her Pacific colonies to the United States, and most of her Caribbean colonies to Great Britain. Cuba is made an independent Republic. Britain and the US both vie to influence over the state, and in 1898, the destruction of a British battleship, the HMS Cornwall, near the Haitian-American port of Santo Domingo causes the British government to declare War on the US. The 1898 Anglo-American war is mostly a naval conflict, but there is a brutal and bloody ground campaign waged across Cuba and Haiti. The conflict ends in January of 1899, with American victory, much to the world's surprise. Britain concedes Cuba, and additionally relinquishes the Bahamas and Puerto Rico to American control. This is mostly at the will of the British people, who never wanted the war in the Carribbean in the first place. Many high-profile citizens had petitioned Parliament and the Crown to end the war, and were angered at the loss of so many British soldiers. Additionally, many social darwinists and imperialists saw the war against another civilized nation as against the colonial imperialist policy of Great Britain. Others say that Britain has other theaters of colonial power that it should be concentrating on, such as Africa and
However, another war is brewing. British and French rivalry for colonial power and global influence has reached a boiling point. As the new century dawns, the world teeters on the brink of a global conflict. Already, Britain and the Netherlands-supported United South African Free State are fighting for control, and the British support of Arab rebels in the Ottoman Empire has almost led to a state of war in the middle east.
The world prepares for a global war...

Another continuation...
World Map, 1900.
globe1900bc0.png

In the late 1860s, the Dutch and Flemish rebelled en masse agains their French overlords, and gained an ally in Germany. Seeing an opportunity, Prussia officially joined the German Union as a member state, and added thier military forces to the German Armed Forces. The French were defeated in 1869, and French Emperor Lucien II conceded to Dutch independence. The Dutch throne was given to Alexander I of Suriname and Indonesia, the Prince of Orange. He took the title William I, King of the Netherlands.
In the War of Lower Saxony, 1870-1871, Germany fought against Denmark for control of Schlesig-Holstein, and Mecklenburg. They won, despite heavy losses. In 1872, Joseph I, Emperor of the Germans & King of Frankfurt and Westphalia, dies from an assassin's bullet. A fervent German nationalist, Heinrich von Fallersleben, walks up to Joseph and shoots him twice in the face with a .45 caliber revolver, before turning the gun on himself. The King of Prussia, William I, is elected Emperor of the Germans. Though particular of his own nation, Prussia, his ministers have influenced to the cause of German nationalism. He uses the Germany army to eject the Bonapartes from Westphalia and Frankfurt, and annexes them to Prussia, taking their royal titles in the process. He begins an diplomatic campaign for a German colonial empire. He often comes into conflict with France and Britain, but the British more often than not work with Germany, seeing them as the lesser of two evils. Meanwhile, other nations expand thier colonial Empires. In 1881, the Conference of Utrecht settles much of the colonial disputes, and speeds up the Scramble for Africa. One settlement, the cession of Tunisia to the United Kingdom of Sicily, causes the creation of a new state: the Kingdom of the Three Sicilies, in 1883.
Across the sea, the US occupies Cuba and Hawaii by 1886, citing regional conflicts as a potential destabilizing element in the whole of North America; Hawaii is made a directly-administrated Territory in 1889, while Haiti becomes an autonomous Commonwealth in 1891. American businessmen and a battalion of Marines arrange the at-gunpoint purchase of Panama from Colombia in 1893. In 1895, the US and Britain urge Spain to relinquish its control over Cuba and its Pacific colonies. Spain refuses. In early 1896, the United States and Britain declare war on Spain, and directly aid Cuban Rebels. In a peace treaty later that year, Spain cedes all of her Pacific colonies to the United States, and most of her Caribbean colonies to Great Britain. Cuba is made an independent Republic. Britain and the US both vie to influence over the state, and in 1898, the destruction of a British battleship, the HMS Cornwall, near the Haitian-American port of Santo Domingo causes the British government to declare War on the US. The 1898 Anglo-American war is mostly a naval conflict, but there is a brutal and bloody ground campaign waged across Cuba and Haiti. The conflict ends in January of 1899, with American victory, much to the world's surprise. Britain concedes Cuba, and additionally relinquishes the Bahamas and Puerto Rico to American control. This is mostly at the will of the British people, who never wanted the war in the Carribbean in the first place. Many high-profile citizens had petitioned Parliament and the Crown to end the war, and were angered at the loss of so many British soldiers. Additionally, many social darwinists and imperialists saw the war against another civilized nation as against the colonial imperialist policy of Great Britain. Others say that Britain has other theaters of colonial power that it should be concentrating on, such as Africa and
However, another war is brewing. British and French rivalry for colonial power and global influence has reached a boiling point. As the new century dawns, the world teeters on the brink of a global conflict. Already, Britain and the Netherlands-supported United South African Free State are fighting for control, and the British support of Arab rebels in the Ottoman Empire has almost led to a state of war in the middle east.
The world prepares for a global war...

Rather surprised that neither the British or the Americans went for the Philippines. Interesting scenario, though. What about Alaska? Will the Brits or the Americans go after it eventually?

Hapsburg

Banned
Shit. I forgot about the Phillipines. Thank you, I will edit the map accordingly.

And about Alaska...I dunno. I suppose I could have a war between US & UK spring up after the Russian Revolution, when Russia loses control of Alaska, over the command of the region. Or, perhaps, the Tsarist government flees to Alaska. Then, if there's a war, there is the issue of who wins. Then, depending on who wins, there's the issue of, if Britain seizes it, will it become part of the Kingdom of Canada or be a separate Kingdom of Alaska? If America seizes it, will it become a Territory administered by the Federal/Imperial/Republican government, or be a commonwealth like Haiti (like OTL's Puerto Rico).

Shit. I forgot about the Phillipines. Thank you, I will edit the map accordingly.

And about Alaska...I dunno. I suppose I could have a war between US & UK spring up after the Russian Revolution, when Russia loses control of Alaska, over the command of the region. Or, perhaps, the Tsarist government flees to Alaska. Then, if there's a war, there is the issue of who wins. Then, depending on who wins, there's the issue of, if Britain seizes it, will it become part of the Kingdom of Canada or be a separate Kingdom of Alaska? If America seizes it, will it become a Territory administered by the Federal/Imperial/Republican government, or be a commonwealth like Haiti (like OTL's Puerto Rico).

I'd say Territory, myself. It's too big and too wealthy to remain a Commonwealth (unless you want a giant version of OTL's Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, where corporate entities had far greater leeway than in the USA proper).

I'd say the USA has a decent chance of winning (a large naval expedition from Seattle or TTL's American counterpart for Victoria or Vancouver could quickly take the place).

Hapsburg

Banned
Well, then, in that case...yet another continuation.
World Map, 1950.
globe1950nl2.png

First World War: 1910 to 1916.
Allied Powers: Germany, Britain, Netherlands, Romania, Slavia, Greece, Russia, Japan, Switzerland.
Napoleonic Powers: France, Poland, Bulgaria, Macedon, Aragon, Italy, Ottoman Empire, Austria.
Cause: French aggression in Africa and Europe, and French revanchism against the Netherlands and Germany.
Result: Dismantling of the French Empire, creation of the French Republic. Creation of the United Kingdom of Italy from French Italy and Savoy. Annexation of Bulgaria to Slavia to form Yugoslavia. Greek annexation of Macedon and Constantinople. Partitioning of the French Colonial Empire and the Ottoman Empire. Russian Revolution and the creation of the RSFSR. Creation of the Roman Republic. Partitioning of the Austrian Empire into the independent kingdoms Bohemia and Hungary, and the annexation of Austria proper to Germany.

Between the wars, there are short conflicts. The 1917-1919 Arab Revolt, the 1915-1921 Russian Civil War, the 1918-1920 Alaska War, the 1925-1929 Chinese Civil War, and the devastating 1931-1937 Sino-Japanese War, which united the Republican and Communist Chinese forces against a common enemy. The Sino-Japanese War and the expanding ambitions of postwar France led into a devastating conflict. Led by a cabal of revanchist generals, ruthless ultra-nationalists, fascist politicians, and vociferous antisemites, France invades its complacent and unprepared neighbor, Germany, in May of 1937.

Second World War: 1937 to 1944.
Allied Powers: German Union, Britain, United States, Soviet Union, Portugal, Three Sicilies, Scandinavia, Netherlands, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Republic of China, People's Republic of China, Argentina, Bolivia-Peru, Yugoslavia, Egypt.
Paris Pact: France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Persia, Poland, Lithuania, Livonia, Hungary, Romania, German State, Albania.
Cause: French nationalism and revanchism, Japanese imperialism, Spanish aggression against Portugal, and Italian expansionism.
Result: Defeat and dissolution of the French State, occupation of France. Creation of the Paris Free State, independence of the Republic of Aquitaine, the Democratic People's Republic of France. Establishment of the provisional government of the Republic of France. Cession of Albania to the Three Sicilies. Cession of Gallacea and Brazil to Portugal. Cession of Brazilian Guiana to Suriname. Occupation of Japan by the United States, and the formation of the JSSR from Hokkaido and the northern tip of Honshu. Formation of various Soviet satellite states in eastern Europe, and the formation of the Austrian People's Republic from the German State. Formation of the Italian Republic.

After the war, the United States overtook Great Britain and Germany as a superpower, due to its use of a nuclear weapon on the Japanese city of Tokyo. Luckily for the Japanese state, Emperor Hirohito was in Kyoto at the time, which quickened the decision for Japan to end the war in the pacific. After the armistice, conflict resumed in Asia, as the PRC and ROC vie for power in the new China. In 1945, Britain used the aid of Portugal to move a large amount of soldiers into China, and with American aid, sweep into the land. With the Communists and Republicans still engrossed in war, Britain easily captured large tracts of land. Their nominal intent is to put an end to the Communists in China, though the true reason is to continue the expansion of the British Colonial Empire. As India is released from colonial rule, and becomes a Dominion, with a King, in 1947, a true Imperial title lies vacant. King Edward VIII assumes an ancient title, one as old as the land of China itself: Huangdi, or Emperor of China. Though the British and Chinese Royalist forces capture Beijing in 1948, a fierce guerrilla war continues.
Britain quickly tried to rectify situations in her colonial empire, forming many of her more autonomous colonies into commonwealth dominions. Many north African nations are let loose of colonial reins, not just by Britain, but by other nations. Britain establishes Jordan and Iraq as separate Arab kingdoms, and creates Syria and Palestine as Arab Republics. Lebanon is established as a Phoenician Republic, at the behest of the Lebanese governing council. The Jews of Europe and the Middle East are feeling especially disenfranchised after the attempted French-supported genocide, which left 2 million dead Jews, mostly from Germany and Poland. As Palestine is made an Arab nation, the British are at a quandary. However, a suggestion, based on recent anthropological research, prompts Britain to form northern Abyssinia into an independent Secular Jewish state. The state is formed as the Republic of Israel. Though a controversial issue among radical Zionists, the majority of the Zionist leadership agree to the terms, and the mass voluntary migration of the Jewish people to the new Israel begins.
As 1950 dawns, however, the Egyptian Empire is in danger of crumbling into civil war, and Subsharan Africa teeters on the brink of a mass Pan-African Revolution.

Greetings.

The following map is based on an assumed “present day” in the TL arising from Turtledove’s AH short “Islands in the Sea”, in which Byzantium falls to the Arabs in the 8th century. As a result, the Balkans and Russia eventually go Muslim as well.

I assumed that the situation wasn’t quite as bleak for Christianity as the characters in the story assumed it to be: the fissiparous nature of Islamic rule in Spain eventually led to a Reconquista as OTL, while the pressures of Islamic attacks from the south and east led to a consolidation of the German state under the early emperors, especially after the conversion of the Magyars to Islam. Borders have fluctuated: all of Italy was under Islamic rule for a while, until the Burgundians advanced south from their mountain fastness: under Emperor Johannes (“The Great”) the 18th-century Germans managed to advance well to the east of Kiev for a while.

At present, things are shifting Europe’s way, although Germans struggling vs. the Khanate’s hordes might express doubts. Europeans have successfully shut the Muslims out of colonizing the Americas, most of which is now Frankish or Anglic (the Norman conquest was butterflied away in this TL: Angeland is still Germanic, and Ireland was eventually more-or-less unified by a Norse dynasty.) colonies, some now independent: and the Europeans have the edge in rule-of-thumb engineering, although no real science as yet.

(The development of the printing press in the 17th century has greatly expanded literacy, and in tolerant nations such as Angeland, Burgundy and some of the American colonies one can find a wide variety of philosophic thought and ideas – none as yet, alas, emphasizing repeatable experiments. Steam engines, some crude steamships, and even some very clumsy steam-powered “trucks” exist. Electricity is for electroplating and magic cures).

Christianity is fractious: after the Pope fled to Frankish (both the Germans and the Spanish/French have pretensions of being the successors to the Roman Empire) territory, the papacy lost much of it’s freedom of actions, and at present there are four different popes (and as poorly as the other three get along, they agree that the Angelic pope is a serious heretic). But then Islam has it’s own divisions: the Germans are fortunate that the Magyars like the Rus Khante’s Shi’aism even less than Christianity).

Islam is a bit different than OTL, due to greater influence from Byzantium. The ethnic background is a bit different, too. (Anatolia has a Turkic ruling class, but the majority is Arab-speaking west of the Kurds, with a large Christian Greek minority – think Copts in Egypt. OTOH, Persia is majority-Turkish nowadays, although Persian remains the court and cultural prestige language).

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.