Jesus Walks: A History of the War on Terror, 1979-1992

Fuck Phyllis Schlafly, is basically what I'm saying, I guess.

Also, here's something fun:

More_HRL_stuff.PNG

See the guy second from the left on the middle row? The one awkwardly leaning in because the guy on the far left is obscuring him? That's Andy Schlafly, son of Phyllis, founder of Conservapedia, and the Andy from the last chapter.

I don't need to tell you who the guy on the bottom right is.

while I agree the earlier mentioned request of India as a USSR sphere of influence is unlikely due to Soviet Favour in India and USA fear of handing India over I can however see Pakistan being grudgingly conceded to the USSR.

The *Ahem* "Militant Tourists" That journey from Pakistan to visit their Mujahideen "Friends" while bringing "Gifts" in "Neighbourly Assistance" do provide a Cassus Belli that would allow the Soviets to discourage such transit and potentially intervene under the umbrella of fighting Terror and preventing lawlessness etc.

the bauble of giving up more Westerly Middle East Clients should be more than enough to allow a grudging acceptance I think.

Yes, there is prohibition, and Nixon declared "War on Drugs," but the Drug War as we know it (the "Just Say No" New Jim Crow version) was begun by Reagan. Without Reagan, it is likely that marijuana is decriminalized outright, which was a possibility in the late '70s before Hamilton Jordan's cocaine scandal ended that. Without that connection, I see no reason why decriminalization wouldn't happen in 1981 or 1982, for instance. As for legalization? Pat Robertson backs legalization IOTL as being "smart on crime." So a President Robertson won't derail momentum towards that. It actually would probably strengthen it.

In short, this TL will probably make you very happy on the drug policy front. No New Jim Crow!

There was already pressure to tighten drug laws and alcohol regulations even without Reagan.

Chapter 24

Chapter 24: Drain You

“One baby to another says -
I'm lucky to have met you
I don't care what you think
Unless it is about me”

---------------------------​

October 15th, 1981:

The convoy rumbled through the streets of Tehran, carrying its precious cargo. The streets were barren, the people having long learned to duck into their houses at the sight of military vehicles. Fighting in the city itself had largely ceased; of course, that was the purpose of the convoy.

General Chuck Beckwith rode in an armoured personnel carrier with the young Shah, Reza Pahlavi. Their destination was the Niavaran Palace, the former residence of the Shah. Over a year of fighting had finally come to fruition.

Walter Mondale sat at the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office as the camera crew prepared to broadcast. He gave his notes a final read before being given the “three” signal.

“My fellow Americans,” the President said, “It is my pleasure to announce that, as we speak, the Shah of Iran is being permanently installed in the royal palace. We have accomplished a milestone in the Iranian War, one which is both the end of the beginning, and the beginning of the end.”​

Beckwith was checking his watch when the RPG hit the side of the APC. The whole vehicle violently shook as the explosion rocked it, though the armour protected the people inside. The tires, however, had been completely destroyed.

“What the fuck?” yelled Beckwith, his ears ringing from the explosion.​

Out the windshield, the driver saw a dozen fighters spill out from the buildings and open fire on the convoy. Without warning, the windshield shattered inward, and the driver’s head exploded. Beckwith reasoned that it had to be an anti-materiel rifle to break through the glass, for what good that insight did him.

The shah quickly unbuckled his seatbelt while Beckwith was still stunned. Frantically, he scrambled for the rear door, and unlocked the heavy metal hatch.

“What?” Beckwith yelled at him, utterly confused, “What are you doing? Stay in the vehicle!”​

Ignoring him, the Shah jumped out of the APC and went running into an alley.

“Thor 1, what is your situation? What is the status of the VIP?” came in over the APC radio, though Beckwith was still deafened from the explosion.​

The general, desperate and afraid, jumped out of the hatch in pursuit of the Shah. He looked around, not knowing which direction he’d gone. There was no sign of Pahlavi. The anti-materiel round ripped through his chest, and Chuck Beckwith slumped to the ground, dead.

---------------------------

“It is now my duty to completely drain you”

-Nirvana​

Updates might be slightly more regular now, since I've been agonizing over how to do that chapter ever since Act 2 started. It was probably the biggest thing between me and just writing the damn story.

Something just occurred to me: am I forgetting something, or would this make Chuck Beckwith the first American general killed in action since the Civil War?

Ah, I forgot to account for there being a lot of Lieutenant Generals at any given time, so the death of one isn't necessarily something I'd be casually aware of. Thanks! :)