Red Star: A Soviet Lunar Landing

1973 formed a year of both an end and a beginning for NASA, with the final J-Class Apollo Lunar Mission, and the beginning of Skylab occurring in this year.
images

March 1973 saw the crew of Apollo 19 make their way to the Tycho crater, a relatively young crater (by Solar System standards) that hadn’t had a long time to be worn down by subsequent impacts, making it sharply defined. The crew comprised of Fred Haise (Cmdr) who would be the first astronaut to ever visit the Lunar Surface twice, along with rookies William Pogue (CMP) and Gerald Parr (LMP).
images

The flight to the most southerly point on the lunar surface the NASA had ever attempted had its risks - mainly that if the SPS failed, the crew would be dead - but the consistent success of the CSM/LEM gave them the confidence to take it well off the free-return trajectory in order to reach it.
images
images

Upon landing on the eastern side of the central peak, they found that this area was quite smooth and flat, and moving around would be fairly easy. Over the three days they were there, they worked tirelessly to obtain the maximum possible return value from their time on the surface. The samples they collected helped to confirm a theory made from Surveyor 7 unmanned lander that had landed on the rim of the crater that the area contained notable quantities of anorthosite.
images

When they ready to return to the orbiting CSM, they had a shade over 150 Kg of samples (of which some was deep-core samples), and had new seismometers set up, another group of geophones operating with another array of explosive packages ready for later. This final ‘J’ mission would also be only the second time that a LEM was seen lifting off from the lunar surface in real-time by the camera mounted on the Lunar Rover, managed by a carefully timed operation of the camera by a staff member in Mission Control.
images

The September of that year marked the beginning of the next step in NASA’s Manned Spaceflight Programme. The Saturn V that rolled out onto the Launch Pad was not like the ones that had preceded it, its S-IVB stage having been replaced with a large Space Station derived from it. Skylab.
images

When its F-1 engines reached full power, and the hold-down bars were released, it left the launch pad clearing the tower slightly faster than it normally did, carrying slightly less mass than the standard version, and for the first 60 seconds or so the flight went well. But as it punched through Mach 1, the supersonic airflow tore a chunk of the micrometeorite shield, pieces of it jamming one of the two main solar arrays, while the other remained attached only at its forward hinged end. The debris also punched a hole in the tapered interstage adapter that attached the station to the S-II stage, and also damaged the S-IC/S-II separation system preventing it from being jettisoned and it remained stubbornly attached to the S-II all the way into orbit.
images

By the time it was in orbit, the magnitude of the damage became clear. The jammed solar array refused to open at all, and the other one had been torn loose when the forward-facing solid separation rockets had pulled the spent S-II away from Skylab, leaving only the 4 “Windmill” Solar Arrays on the Apollo Telescope Mount (ATM) to provide power. Furthermore, since the micrometeorite shield was also used for thermal protection for the main body of the station, temperatures quickly rose to over 50° C.
images

To prepare for the emergency repairs that would be needed to save the station, the first manned flight to it, Skylab 2 (which had been intended to be launched the following day) was delayed by 10 days while the crew was hurriedly trained in the required repair procedures. The biggest problem for Skylab was that keeping the damaged section clear of direct sunlight meant that the remaining solar arrays deployed couldn’t get any meaningful power, starving the station of electricity. This led to the need to constantly move the station to keep a delicate balance between power and temperature, which consumed over half of the available station-keeping propellant.
220px-Skylab_2_crew.jpg

11 days after Skylab was launched, the Skylab 2 crew, Pete Conrad (Cmdr), Paul Weitz (CMP), and Joe Kerwin (Science Pilot) launched atop a Saturn IB to try and repair the station before anything else, vital if it was to be inhabited at all. Following a visual inspection and soft-dock with the station (as so to avoid station keeping while they ate), they undocked and manoeuvred to the jammed solar array to try and pry it loose with a 10ft hooked pole. Unfortunately, it failed and more of the irreplaceable manoeuvring propellant had been consumed in the attempt.
images

Skylab once they managed to make the needed repairs

After a difficult hard-dock with Skylab (taking 9 attempts) that certainly failed to improve the mood, they set to work deploying the collapsible parasol through a small scientific airlock to act as a sunshade, this succeeded and the temperature inside the station soon dropped to tolerable levels. It would be two weeks before a second EVA was conducted to try and free the remaining main solar array (since with only the ATM solar cells, the station would not have enough power for the Skylab 3 and 4 missions), which was successful in this instance, also testing the both nerves of Conrad and Kerwin along with the strength of their safety tethers, as the sudden deployment of the array flung them from the hull of the station.
images
images

With the station largely brought to a workable condition, they could now focus on the primary medical, Earth, and Solar science experiments, with over 29,000 frames of film of the Sun. After 28 days (a record for NASA), they returned home with the record for the greatest total mass docked in space at over 90,000 Kg, and Skylab fit enough to support the remaining assigned crews.

Bahamut, this is a brilliant TL.
While I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to really judge the probability of everything here, it certainly seems more than possible and it's very well written.
I don't really have anything constructive to add, I simply wanted to compliment you on the TL. :)

Bahamut, this is a brilliant TL.
While I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to really judge the probability of everything here, it certainly seems more than possible and it's very well written.
I don't really have anything constructive to add, I simply wanted to compliment you on the TL. :)

Well this is a Collaborative TL, between myself and SpaceGeek, so the thanks belong to him as well. ^_^

And yes, keeping it plausible, and believable is one of the aims in effect here.

The Soviets may have been growing hostile to the idea of female cosmonauts but has one landing on the moon inspired NASA to start training female astronauts for moon missions?

Mishin and the engineers at TsKBEM were proud of their accomplishments in 1972 and 1973. Despite being technically behind in lunar missions they still managed to inspire both admiration and fear of the Soviet Space Program. Now that the final J-Class Apollo landing had ended they temporarily had the Moon all to themselves for a few years, and they intended to put that time to good use.
images
images

The Zarya-1 space station was largely what kept the Soviet Union ahead in the minds of the public. For the first time people were living and working in space for months at a time but most importantly of all, they were cosmonauts. The Zarya had it's limitations however. It had a very limited amount of life support and could not be re-supplied, essentially limiting it's operational career to two long duration expeditions. With Soyuz 9's standing duration record of 45 days the Americans would still take time to catch up even with their planned Skylab space station. To protect their own record Soyuz was the job assigned to Soyuz 11.
images

Hence a 12 year streak of Soviet long duration records (dating all the way back to Yuri Gagarin!) would crashing down on top of them if Soyua 11 was unsuccessful. But Mishin was no fool. He realized that unless he continued long duration spaceflights they risked that the Americans could overtake them. This led to the acceleration of Zarya-2. While Chemolei attempted to push forward his "Almaz" design for future space stations his efforts were laughed at by the Soviet hierarchy. The Americans manned reconnaissance efforts (MOL) had been long abandoned (since 1969) and in any case the Zarya design had shown itself to be successful on two separate expeditions and had already been tested in space. Further Chelomei had fallen out of favour in the Soviet space program, he had lost his grand UR-700 lunar landing scheme, his LK-1 circumlunar proposal had been shot down, even his medium lift UR-500 proposal had been dismissed in favour of the N11 and as a result had done little to prove himself a reliable person to lead such a project as important as this one.
images

Zarya-2 took off to much fan fair on June 25th 1973 within the small fairing of it's N11 rocket. As expected the rocket performed well and the laboratory was placed into an initial 219 by 270 km orbit. While being slightly smaller and lighter (with a pressurized volume of just 90 cubic meter) it carried significantly more consumables.

The first expedition was aimed simply at testing the long term habitability of the station before any record breaking stays would be attempted on it. This aim made Soyuz-10 a somewhat shorter mission than the one planned to follow it with a stay time lasting just a single month. Even with this limitation the crew was able to gain enormous additional information about human adaptation to long duration spaceflight. Just a few hours short of a month since their first arrival Commander Vasili Lazarev and Flight Engineer Valeri Kubasov were back on the ground but receiving ever more experimentation than ever. They remembered the awe of their June 30th 1973 flight and longed to return. Luckily for them, both of them would.
images

Soyuz 11 was highly anticipated as the flight that would break the record of Soyuz 9 and bring the USSR ever so closer their prize of the dominant spacefaring nation. Just a week into their own spaceflight and still settling down the crew bore witness to a spectacular event that only a handful cosmonauts before them had had the privilege to see with their own eyes. A rocket launch from space, the N1 no less. As the L3-7's lunar bound LK shot off into the distance Aleksei Gubarev and Anatoli Voronov returned to their normal, everyday business. Zarya's living conditions were starting to degrade by October, with the environmental control system beginning to fail, windows fogged over and green mould growing on the station walls. The crew donned exercise suits and increased their exercise period to over two hours a day, and on 18 October began to prepare the station for unmanned flight. The Soyuz craft was activated on 21 October and the crew returned to earth two days later. While Zarya-2 had ended it's manned lifespan it continued to perform tests and experiments in an unmanned mode for over a year and a half after her last crew. Having achieved a 63 day duration record, the Soviet had protected their own duration record streak which had begun the minute Yuri Gagarin reached space, for them to have it taken away mere months later...
images

Last edited:
Why did the Soviets become hostile to female cosmonauts?
Their program was heavily military, compared to NASA which was civilian (though obviously all of the astronauts were military originally). They only had women to the extent that it was expedient for public relations--a total of two flights, one in the early program as an easy first, then another just before Sally Ride was flown to Salyut to be the first woman to do EVA and deny that minor first to the US. So it's less that they grew hostile to women in their program than that they were never really favorable to the Soviet program as more than stunts.

Their program was heavily military, compared to NASA which was civilian (though obviously all of the astronauts were military originally). They only had women to the extent that it was expedient for public relations--a total of two flights, one in the early program as an easy first, then another just before Sally Ride was flown to Salyut to be the first woman to do EVA and deny that minor first to the US. So it's less that they grew hostile to women in their program than that they were never really favorable to the Soviet program as more than stunts.

Likewise, in this TL the Soviets fly a Women to the Moon. Just so they can have another propaganda victory and gain some attention. It's also another milestone/first bringing them ahead of the Americans in the minds of the people. These are the only two women flights.

Last edited:
Hello! I don't know how I missed this timeline over the past month but I've spent the past several days catching up, and of course I'm subscribing!

I find the POD pretty plausible and the decision to develop N-11 for the reasons given quite reasonable. It strikes me as quite in his character that Nikita Khrushchev would commit the USSR to the moon landing goal; and that having done so the Soviet space establishment (or rather, Korolev's faction of it) would set about quickly determining how they were going to do it. Once that effort had a couple years' solid progress committed to it, Brezhnev et al would find it harder to pull the plug, and would ride with it, unless some terrible setback discredited Korolev's faction.

People who know my opinions here will understand that I appreciate the N-11 winning out over Proton because I hate hypergolic fuels, at least in the function of the main launching propellants. (I understand why they are nevertheless used in all manned spacecraft to date, for orbital maneuvering. Like Korolev though I think there is a difference between less than ten tons of the stuff, even right next to the crew modules, versus many hundreds or even thousands!:eek: So yay for the kerosene-oxygen N series!:)

That said, I was rather disturbed to see the cold-blooded Soviet assessment--that not only did the N-1 have a 50 percent failure rate in the early launches--so did the N-11.:( But it certainly makes sense that such an ambitious project would have some serious teething issues and it is gratifying to see that they stuck with it, having adopted a more methodical approach and a slightly more modest goal for the N-1 than OTL, the latter being driven of course by something akin to panic.

Presumably, although clearly not approaching NASA standards of fastidiousness, the Soviet engineers have perforce adopted some rudiments of quality control that were unfortunately to remain alien to their OTL programs. Otherwise they'd have a 100 percent failure rate as per OTL! (In the big N rockets that is--obviously they managed a higher success rate with the R-7 series derivatives OTL, and more success than failure with the several rival forms of heavy lifters such as Proton and eventually Energia).

Being someone prone to Soviet-wanking (albeit I do like to insist this go hand in hand with a more humane regime evolving, and doubt the USSR could have lasted longer than it did OTL without progress on both economic and civil fronts) I would have some hope that the greater success due to greater discipline in the Soviet manned (and unmanned, noting the success of the Mars probes) space program might somehow propagate to improve the civil economy and thus prolong or even preserve the Soviet Union indefinitely. But that is admittedly a long shot; it doesn't seem likely since the space program is a regime priority and special case. They would have to learn to be less wasteful and more efficient despite being lavished with resources to be this successful but still the lessons learned might not be deemed applicable to general cases, and even if they are the bureaucratic corruption that led to the failure of the regime OTL would tend to resist such reforms; with Brezhnev in charge lazy cronyism is in the driver's seat.

The unfortunate neglect of women cosmonauts strikes me as an example of that; if the USSR were enjoying (if that is quite the right word) astringent winds of change, there would be more and stronger advocates for more women in the program, if only because Leninism is in principle behind equality for women (if not quite feminism as such).

Still of course they remain at this point infinitely more advanced than the Americans on that symbolic front; until there are female astronauts flying for NASA the Soviets can well afford to be complacent.:rolleyes:

Even if the regime is pretty much doomed to stagnate visibly in the 1980s and fail early in the 90's if not before, there is still a lot of time for more impressive stuff, and for solid advancement of the state of the art.

At this point, only cosmonauts who are actually going to the Moon have been rocketed to space on the N rockets, is that correct? Indeed, unless one is going to ship a literal busload of people into orbit, even the N-11 is overkill; a Soyuz orbiter on an OTL-type R-7 Soyuz rocket is just fine for bringing them to orbit; I'm a little surprised the Lunar missions did not simply use the N-1 to put a translunar stage up for the cosmonauts, who could get into parking orbit on a third, Soyuz, rocket and move their spacecraft over to rendezvous with the big stage. After all the Lunar edition of the Soyuz is essentially the same as the familiar workhorse orbiter of OTL, is it not? But I do appreciate adding an extra Earth orbit rendezvous to one that already depended on a Lunar orbit rendezvous with the lander craft adds some risk of mission failure (though it lowers the risk of a crew loss). The translunar stage had a time limit, and so did the waiting Lunar lander, due to oxygen boiling off while either waits. So I understand the desire to get the manned launch done in one shot, since even if the N-1 did fail in some spectacular way, the crew would likely survive, pulled out by their launch escape system.

So, albeit cautiously, the two N-rockets are man-rated, and so is the Soyuz; the Russians can indeed send a busload of people to a waiting large space station, or assemble a huge interplanetary rocket with several N-1 launches.
---
I would have to go back and skim the early posts to recall all my questions, but one sticks to the top of my mind:

The OTL Soyuz-LK lunar ensemble was not supposed to have a docking tunnel allowing the cosmonaut destined to land to enter the LK from the Soyuz in shirtsleeves; instead they would have to spacewalk from the Soyuz to the lunar lander. I gather in the OTL, 90-ton to orbit single launch N-1 version the lander would be nested just below the Soyuz in the launch stack, and since the last stage of the TLI stack was retained to brake the ensemble into lunar orbit, then stayed with the lander to serve as the crasher stage, presumably they simply were to stay in the stack until the landing cosmonaut boarded, so the spacewalk would be from the orbital module on top of the Soyuz, down its body past the reentry module and along the service module to the LK below. Once in, the Soyuz would cast free of the stack at last, and the landing cosmonaut would pilot the crasher-LK stack down.

Then, after ascent and rendezvous with the orbiting Soyuz, the "docking" would be a much cruder affair than the Apollo version--instead of a careful hatch-to-hatch dock, the LK had no second hatch at all, just the one used to first enter it, then later exit to moon walk. Instead of any pressurized tunnel, the moon landing cosmonaut would once again, for at least the third time (and the last!) depressurize the LK and spacewalk, the two crafting having physically merged via a probe in the center of the Soyuz orbital module spearing the mat of hexagonal gridwork on top of the LK; it would have been more like on of those safety dart boards, that have a surface covered in rubber or plastic nubs that can hold a blunt dart tossed at them with the right force. It was just to physically anchor them together so the two craft could not drift relative to each other, giving the spacewalker a firm footing.

All the pictures of the LK you show match the OTL design, including that aluminum "dartboard" on top that shows no sign of any sort of hatch, let alone more sophisticated docking port. And to add the pressurized tunnel, while obviously desirable, is also an unnecessary point of failure that might kill both cosmonauts (though it makes the job of the one using the LK both easier and less risky if all goes well) and would definitely be a mass increase for the LK, when the LK's design is very weight-critical indeed. I suppose the Soyuz orbital module might come out about the same if the dart probe were deleted in favor of something more like the Apollo hatch--more to the point, it doesn't have to rocket-land on the Moon and then ascend back into Lunar orbit! It has its own version of the same stage that serves as the crasher for the LK, that it used to brake into Lunar orbit, to boost it back out again toward Earth, plus whatever hypergolic propellant it carries in the service module as a back-up for that. But the LK can't afford the luxury of any unnecessary mass! The hatch/tunnel is dead weight going down to the Moon and even more critically, coming up.

Anyway while some of your Soyuz pictures do show what looks like a docking hatch, none of the pictures of LK show a corresponding one, even if the mass budget would allow for one. They all show the aluminum "dartboard" array instead.

Should we just assume that attempts to Photoshop in a suitable hatch (which perhaps would not mass all that much after all) proved unsatisfactory, and therefore we should simply use our imaginations for the hatch, and ignore the dartboard?
---
Regarding questions about polar orbits of the Moon which have recurred, most recently because Comrade Solovyova's landing required one, it is my understanding that as far as launching to the Moon is concerned it makes practically no difference--over the huge distance to Luna, a very tiny inclination--indeed, a simple choice of a slightly different point to begin transLunar injection from a highly inclined parking orbit, such as Soviet spacecraft launching so far to the north (and aiming even farther north to avoid flying over China!) would start from anyway, has the ship approaching right over the pole of one's choice. The nasty bit, as e of pi and others have tried to explain, is that once having looped around the Moon, such an orbit, unlike one in the plane of the Moon's orbit, cannot result in a free return to Earth--either one is successful in "braking" to Lunar orbit, or else doomed to be slingshotted into an orbit around Earth with a very high perigee--a wide ellipse, not the very narrow one necessary to return to atmospheric braking altitudes.

I suppose this is an acceptable risk for the Soyuz because in a successful mission, the final stage of its N-1 launch stack (I keep avoiding naming it by letter because I've lost count and forgetten the Cyrillic sequence--I forget if there is a Beh before or after the Veh (the one that looks like a Latin B) and if I'm talking about a fourth letter Geh (that looks like a gallows in the letter game of "Hangman") or what...I think it's the Geh stage? "Г"? I just used the Unicode special characters palette which does confirm "Ghe" is the 4th letter anyway).

*Edit--yes it is, but apparently the Ghe stage is for TLI, or part of it--a fifth, "Д" or De, stage is the LOI/crasher stage.:eek: I am editing all references to match that.*

OK the De stage has lots of delta-V left, half of it intended to brake the ensemble into Lunar orbit and then the other half to boost the Soyuz back to Earth, at the right moment. (If they arrive in Lunar polar orbit, and wait too long, the Moon will move relative to Earth, or from their point of view Earth will move, and the orbit's plane, which will remain approximately constant barring mascons and other perturbations, will no longer include Earth. But if they return soon enough this inclination change will still be small--otherwise they have to wait two weeks until Earth moves back into a convenient location again). So if the De stage rocket fails, the Soyuz can still ditch it and maneuver to go back to Earth immediately (perhaps--I think that would work?) So it isn't death for them though it kills the rendezvous with LK and landing; the LK's De stage crasher will boil off its oxygen and so become unusable before another Soyuz can be sent.

If the Soyuz De stage is indeed meant to achieve both LOI and TEI, then again the Soyuz's own fuel in its service module is clearly meant to be mainly a safety backup. I'm very confident that it can achieve TEI....Um, wait, no. At least not the 1962 Soyuz A design; it could only achieve a delta-V of 420 m/sec, which would be sufficient to break out of a Lunar orbit that is nearly 3 times the Lunar radius (which is still closer to Luna's center than the surface of our planet is to its own center, but still many thousands of kilometers from the Lunar surface). Now IIRC the plan is for the Soyuz not to go into a circular but an elliptical orbit; if the major axis is 5 3/4 Lunar radii, with perilune skimming at say 1 1/4 and apilune way out at 4 1/2 Lunar radii, the energy of the orbit is right for that design to be able to escape Luna on its own--but the greater the major axis, the faster the Soyuz is skimming near the surface at perilune, which means the LK has a tough job catching up to it. I think we want to minimize the work the LK has to do, it is marginal enough already!:eek: So I assume the Soyuz must seek as low an orbit as possible, where the LK is waiting for it. Also an elliptical orbit puts more constraints on the timing of a TEI.

So for a circular orbit about 100 km above the Moon, I estimate we need a delta-V more like 700 m/sec to escape it; let's make it 900 so we have a bit of maneuvering reserve for mid-course corrections and final approach to Earth. With engines that have an ISP of 282, we'd need over 1900 kg of fuel if the dry mass of the ship is 5000 kg, versus under 800 as designed!

However, the 1971 7K-LOK of OTL fits the bill much better--not only did it provide for over 3 tonnes of fuel, its engines also had higher ISP, 310 seconds--even allowing for its greater dry mass of 6700 kg, just 2300 kg of fuel, 850 less than the 1971 design allowed for, would suffice--to still have 200 m/sec margin to maneuver after escaping the moon that is; to just barely escape low lunar orbit with an initial mass of 9850 kg as this design provided, would 2040 kg, leaving 1112 that gives an additional maneuvering margin of 467 m/sec.

I gather the ATL Soyuz here is much more like this later design.

The reason the Soviets can do some things, like polar landings, the Americans can't, is first of all that their lander is far more tiny, and second of all that although each N-1 launch is considerably more marginal in mass to orbit, 70 tons versus over 100, and worse the throw weight to TLI is even more drastically reduced due to using kerosene rather than hydrogen for the TLI stage(s), still there are two launches and two De stages arriving along with the two manned vehicles; the LK's enables the lander itself to be so small and yet capable of landing and then returning to orbit, while the Soyuz's allows it to have all this massive safety margin, making two different engines available as the manned craft approaches the Moon.

If I am mistaken that the Soyuz's De stage is meant to be used both for LOI and TEI, and it is used up doing the former, so the cosmonauts are utterly dependent on the Soyuz's own fuel and engine to get home--still, I've just demonstrated that the 7K-LOK version would have been quite capable of that with margin to spare (margin, to be sure, that might be eaten up fast by the need for an inclination change after a couple days in Lunar polar orbit!)(*Edit--After 2 days, the plane would be out of alignment by 25.7 degrees, which if I have done the vector math right, raises the total delta V needed by over 62 percent!:eek: On the other hand, maybe it is possible to put some "english" on the original trajectory that one approaches polar orbit with, so that it doesn't arrive aligned with Earth and then starts drifting out, but arrives advanced by an angle that corresponds to mission time, so it is just coming into alignment at the planned time of arrival. If some such trick is not possible, then of course the LK, which arrived first, will be out of alignment with the Soyuz arriving some time later, unless the latter shows up some multiple of 14 days later--I gather this is not good either since the LK's De stage will be bleeding oxygen.*)

AND, come to think of it, if it turns out upon arrival in Low Lunar Orbit, that the Soyuz main engine has crapped out for some unfortunate reason (or say an Apollo 13 type event dumps all their fuel into space:eek:)--they still have a possible option--if they can maneuver on attitude thrusters to dock with the LK, the LK is mated to its own De stage crasher! If perchance the LK itself can be disconnected and discarded, and the Soyuz nested in its place (very doubtful of course unless this contingency were designed in) then perhaps the LK-De has enough fuel to return the Soyuz to Earth? Perhaps not, if I am wrong about the Soyuz-De being capable of both LOI and TEI; if braking the Soyuz into orbit exhausts one De, presumably although the LK is much lighter than the Soyuz, still most of its De's fuel must be gone too.

But the fact it was to be used as a crasher encourages me--escape velocity is just a bit over 40 percent greater than orbital; it is the latter that the LK-De has to kill, say it only takes off 80 percent of the orbital velocity (which is around 1700 m/sec, so say the De can just remove 1350 of that for the 5-ton LK)--still it ought to be able to impart something like 1000 m/sec to the 7 ton empty Soyuz (if the accident that cripples it doesn't drain the fuel, if the engine is useless they might as well dump it anyway). That's plenty to escape with lots of margin to spare! Obviously that's not true if as a crasher stage the De does a more modest job leaving more to the LK engines themselves. (*Edit--Encyclopedia Astronautica says the plan was for the De to cut orbital velocity down to just 100 m/sec 4 km above the surface!*) But if that's true, then an even more risky desperation scheme would involve trying to jury-rig the LK itself to shove the whole De plus Soyuz as hard as it can first, then ditch it to ignite the De for what it is worth--no matter how you slice it, the fact that the LK plus De is meant to be able to land on the Moon and return to orbit, a total delta-V of over 3400 m/sec, suggests there ought to be some way to shove the Soyuz back to Earth even without any of its own engines.

Using the two De stages then makes the game radically different than Apollo, which utterly depended on the SM main engine to brake the CSM-LM assembly into Lunar orbit and then push the CSM back home again. To be sure, as Apollo 13 showed, the LM engine and fuel was also available to them as backup--and if disaster struck the Soyuz main engine after the LK had departed for a Lunar landing, depriving the Soyuz of both the De stage and the LK's delta-V, it too would be marooned unless its own De stage still had some fuel left. (But considering how the LK's is meant to serve as a crasher, that suggests to me it would indeed).

*Edit--I Did The Bloody Research belatedly as I sometimes do. Here's Mark Wade on the N1 Block De (he translates De to "D")--I don't know if this version of the De is the same as designed in the mid-60s or is tweaked for the ill-fated 1970s 90 ton version. It masses 3.5 tons empty, with 14.7 tons propellant and a very impressive engine ISP of 349, so it would burn a bit over 5240 kg of that braking a notional 10 ton Soyuz to lunar orbit. Quite obviously that leaves more than plenty to boost it back out of orbit again--unless some of Block De's fuel was burnt up in TLI or mid-course corrections of course. This in turn suggests that the Soyuz can be a lot less than 10 tons, hardly needing the three tons of fuel I supposed it would have, except of course as a safety contingency should the De fail after achieving lunar orbit. By the same token, the LK's De should park the lander in low lunar orbit with even bigger margins of fuel--needed to brake the thing to a landing of course! When I try to figure that I come up with absurdly high margins of fuel left over, though, meaning either I'm underestimating the LK's mass or that several ton's margin were engineered in to allow for a ton or more of oxygen boiling off, or that several tons get used up during TLI or midcourse corrections.*
--------------
I am very impressed with this plausible path for a Soviet lunar first--I obviously like the robust options that a two-launch of the more modest N-1 opens up. And it is clear that the Soviets are already planning upgrades that would change the game radically--if they can indeed replace the upper stages with hydrogen burners, then the N-1 moves much closer to the Saturn V leagues, for instance. They could then consider replacing the two-launch Lunar missions with single launch, but since they have already evolved the capability of launching two N-1s within days of each other, I'd suggest that instead they continue to use two launches, of much heavier payloads.

By the way--another question I've just remembered--how exactly did the Soviets, OTL and here, cope with the shelter structure they'd need to assemble such a big rocket as any version of the N-1? The Americans of course made the VAB, a monstrously huge and expensive building. Limited space in the VAB is the major constraint on growing the Saturn V rocket much larger, and also the constraint on how many Saturn V's the USA can launch per year, even with a huge budget. With the N-1 comparable in size to the Saturn V, clearly the Russians have had to build something like the VAB, and it has to be capable of popping out two big rockets just about the same time, and then they have to move the things over to launching pads far enough from their construction site that if they blow up (as many of them have already!:eek:) they don't ruin the whole complex. Clearly the two pads also have to be really far away from each other, since you'll have a rocket on one as the other launches.

I've been a nag at Eyes Turned Skyward, recommending radical changes to ease assembly, transport and quick launch of the Saturn Multibodies developed there, to be told that I misunderstand how much it would cost to make the stages robust enough to survive the handling I suggest, and that there is no great advantage to be gained by going for horizontal assembly and transport and erection at the launch site.

It is because I figured that being able to do that with R-7 derived rockets was a plus for the Soviets, that therefore the way forward for Khrushchev and Korolev in 1962 would have been to make modest increments in the R-7 type to achieve something more capable but only modestly so--say 20 tonnes to orbit--and then do everything with EOR (and LOR too of course), launching dozens of relatively small standardized rockets a year to assemble whatever they desired. But then when I tried to work out what a "modest" increment to Saturn 1B capabilities would do to the R-7--holding it down to just tripling it would be a great achievement!:eek: I realized this was not such an easy thing to achieve, whereas the capabilities might still be too modest to allow timely assembly of a moon train.

Thus, I admire your stroke of genius in modestly downsizing (or strictly speaking, refusing to upsize!) the N-1, rather than trying to grow the R-7 so very far beyond its reach.

But I still regret that you can't possibly handle your N's the way Soyuz rockets could be, assembling them in modest (if long) hangars horizontally, hauling them in long truck beds that way, then swinging them up for fueling and launch. Nope, just looking at those bulbous, ponderous lower stages it is perfectly clear those puppies have to be assembled and moved just like Saturn rockets.

*Edit--no, going by a picture at Mark Wade's Enc Astro, apparently even these giant and elaborate rockets were meant to be assembled horizontally then hoisted up at the launch site!!:eek::cool:*

So perhaps someday, you can show off some pictures of the launch complex and show us a VAB and crawler, Soviet-style?

*Or their horizontal equivalents...*

Last edited:
Very interesting stuff Shevek. Now I am hoping that this TL includes a Soviet Apollo 13 so we get to see how they would deal with disasters in SpaceGeek and Bahamut-255's view. :-D

The unreliability of the N-1 is something of an artifact actually - the Soviets couldn't afford the test equipment Americans could, so instead of testing each part in a range of ways, then putting them together in a whole rocket which then performed well during test launches, the Soviets designed the thing as well as they could, then built a whole rocket and did a bunch of test launches to see what broke. The N-1 OTL performed about as well as any other test rocket the Soviets built, but alas they didn't have the time to iron out the bugs because they started so late. (The unreliability of early Soviet rockets is another reason that a UR-700 was a bad idea - like most other rockets it probably would have failed 2 or 3 times in its early days, with millions of pounds of toxic propellant getting sprayed all over the area each time.)

I can see a few ways that this TL could increase the chances of Soviet survival in TTL. The money for the Soviet space program has to come from somewhere. I reckon this TL requires a change in Soviet strategic thinking - say Khrushchev convinces the military that rather than adopting a strategy of victory through weight-of-nuke-fire, they need to upgrade their technology so they need fewer nukes because each nuke has a greater chance of getting through - and that the moon program is a worthy investment because it will develop these techniques and technologies while also generating prestige that the Soviet Union can use to strengthen its hand in the third world. So the Soviets build fewer ICBMs and nuclear warheads during the 60s (which substantially reduces their maintenance budgets during the 70s and 80s as well). Instead they put that money into their space program, with the promise that the military is going to get substantially improved capabilities in the 70s. So we get the moon program, a space station program and more robot probes during the 60s and 70s. The military gets harder to intercept hardware, manned military space stations and some cutting edge killsats in the 70s.

In addition, we might posit that the greater Soviet success in space, and even greater perceived success, inspires more young Soviet citizens to become scientists. Furthermore, we might posit that these successes serve to motivate the Soviet scientists more as well. It may also motivate ordinary citizens more, serving to offset the disillusion that was building up, since here, even though people will be able to see Communism working badly on Earth just as they were OTL, Communism TTL seems to be working very well in space.

A more successful space program may also have knock on effects on Soviet trade and influence. The space program serves as a very graphic advert for the power and utility of Soviet high technology, as well as a stimulus for the Soviets to improve their high technology. For example, we may see Soviet computers and electronics being much closer to the American hardware since in this TL, they'll be working harder to develop miniature electronics for their robot probes. That could translate into better sales abroad. More Soviet trade and more Soviet prestige could in turn lead to more Soviet influence in the world.

Also, the Americans need to spend more money on their space program, and the most likely place to take money from to fill the the 500 million to 1 billion dollar hole in the NASA budget is to reduce the American committment to the Vietnam War. That in turn could mean a stronger North Vietnam and higher Soviet prestige in the late 60s and early 70s, again reinforcing trade.

All these little factors could, with some helpful butterflies (such as things going better in Czechoslovakia), mean that the Soviets ARE stronger and FEEL stronger during Kosygin's premiership, allowing Kosygin to effectively counter Brezhnev's intrigues against him, since his policies seem to be working much better. So the whole Brezhnev period in TTL continues being a Brezhnev/Kosygin duopoly. This means that the USSR continues along the more liberal economic path that Kosygin favoured, and Brezhnev never gets enough power to corrupt the whole Soviet system as he did OTL.

Also, if the Soviets avoid Chernobyl (or a similar nuclear disaster) that alone might be enough to strengthen them enough to avoid collapse. The damage caused by the accident was absolutely huge and could, quite possibly, have been the death-blow that killed the Soviet system.

fasquardon

The unreliability of the N-1 is something of an artifact actually - the Soviets couldn't afford the test equipment Americans could, so instead of testing each part in a range of ways, then putting them together in a whole rocket which then performed well during test launches, the Soviets designed the thing as well as they could, then built a whole rocket and did a bunch of test launches to see what broke.

And ITTL we've just gotten to the point where they're putting together an upgraded N-1 with reusable engines, with the explicit intent of testing them BEFORE they put them into the rocket, and then only using the good ones.

I reckon this TL requires a change in Soviet strategic thinking - say Khrushchev convinces the military that rather than adopting a strategy of victory through weight-of-nuke-fire, they need to upgrade their technology so they need fewer nukes because each nuke has a greater chance of getting through - and that the moon program is a worthy investment because it will develop these techniques and technologies while also generating prestige that the Soviet Union can use to strengthen its hand in the third world.

So we could be seeing the Soviets invent MaRVs or MaIRVs?

And ITTL we've just gotten to the point where they're putting together an upgraded N-1 with reusable engines, with the explicit intent of testing them BEFORE they put them into the rocket, and then only using the good ones.

Ahh, I missed that.

So we could be seeing the Soviets invent MaRVs or MaIRVs?

I think the Soviets were already leading in MRV development. The advances in guidance systems could see them develop MIRVs earlier as well.

What I was thinking of was more along the lines of improved guidance improving the chance of each missile hitting its target (thus reducing the number of missiles you have to lob at the target to be sure of hitting it) and space-based warhead silos (the Soviets are making these decisions before the Outer Space Treaty was drafted, though I think when the Outer Space Treaty is proposed, they'll embrace it just as OTL - space based nuke silos are scary).

Another thought as far as economics go - more funding for NASA means no surge of mathematicians to the financial industry, or at least, the surge is deferred as long as NASA funding remains high enough.

fasquardon

What I was thinking of was more along the lines of improved guidance improving the chance of each missile hitting its target (thus reducing the number of missiles you have to lob at the target to be sure of hitting it) and space-based warhead silos (the Soviets are making these decisions before the Outer Space Treaty was drafted, though I think when the Outer Space Treaty is proposed, they'll embrace it just as OTL - space based nuke silos are scary).

So we could see the Soviets developing FOBS? You know, what could have allowed them to attack the US by launching nukes over the South Pole?

So we could see the Soviets developing FOBS? You know, what could have allowed them to attack the US by launching nukes over the South Pole?

As far as I am aware the Soviets were already the leaders in developing FOBS, and even if their progress were advanced by a couple years, the usefulness of the system would still decline on schedule as the American tracking systems advanced and FOBS warheads lost the advantage of surprise.

fasquardon