Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

I see there were some problems. No problem. If you allow me: I won with this flag in a quite tight round. Everybody deserved the laurels of victory. :)

The United Arab Kingdom was carved out from the corpse of the Abyssinian Empire after the Great War (1920-25). Historically the Arabs never had an unified state. Their territories were subjugated and governed by Aksum, the Sassanid Empire, the Mongols, the Red Khanate, Gujarati and many other Indian empires, the Spanish, the Hansa and, ultimately, a burgeoning and reformed Abyssinian Empire. Eight different kingdoms formerly under the Solomonid dynasty have accepted to unite in a federal constitutional monarchy that, despite some foreign-backed secessionist and revolutionary movements in the XX century, managed to survive with most of its liberties intact.

Due to many foreign dominations the Arabs have developed a syncretic religiosity. Mecca have become the, some would say, religious capital of the world, with gurus, scholars and people from all over the world and all over the history coming to the Caaba sanctuary. This is reflected in the flag of the empire, with a black-golden rectangle representing the Caaba. The eight-pointed star represents what are considered main eight systems of belief in Arabia¹² and also its eight kingdoms.

tumblr_n0um05mXW51swo4lto1_500.png

Today the UAK is a prosperous oil-rich country. The amount of wealth have attracted many immigrants, creating a issue that may endanger the multicultural character of the very Arab nation itself.

Below the map of the UAK and other countries created after the Treaty of Alexandria.

¹ Arab traditional beliefs, Zoroastrism, Christianism, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Gnosticism, Jainism.
² The definition of the Eight Major Beliefs is rejected by many Arabs who view Arab spirituality as dogma free, the conjugation of all religions into the true one. Despite those univeralists, a neo-pagan movement have been growing among the Arab youth similarly to their Western counterparts OTL.

Flag Challenge 108 - "The Indian State"

After winning the War of 1812, the British carved out a buffer Indian State from the US' red territory below.

You challenge is to design a flag for the present-day Indian State or its offspring; as well to briefly describe the current form in which it exists today, its history and its government.

1812_us_map_large.jpg

P.S.: The Indian State's offspring must have a population majority that identifies themselves as being Amerindian[-descendant]. No further requirements besides that.

Submissions open: 22 February
Submissions close: 1st March (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 2nd March
Voting closes: 7 March (Midnight GMT)

The deadline for submissions was extended to 2nd March GMT.

That's said, the new timetable is as it follows:

Submissions close: 2nd March (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 3rd March
Voting closes: 8 March (Midnight GMT)

Deadline extended a bit more, for the 6th March.

Submissions close: 6th March (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 7th March
Voting closes: 12 March (Midnight GMT)

Congratulations for the victory ah-sue! Looking forward the next challenge! :)

TEPEHKIIPA

The British “Indian Protectorate” was set up following the victory of the United Kingdom in the 1812-13 war with the United States. When John C Frémont (US President 1857-1861) declared war (1859) on the UK over the question of territory and international borders to the west and north of the old “Louisiana Purchase”, the cry was also to recover the Indian Protectorate for the US. “Frémont’s War”, as it became known was extremely ill-advised; his anti-slavery stance had upset many slave-owning states, which now seceded from the US (1860). Frémont responded, with the agreement of the rump Congress, by rejecting secession and using military force against those states, which formed the Federation of the South.

The US was now facing a war on all fronts. Though the British refused to form an alliance with the Federation of the South, they placed no restriction of their merchants supplying arms and materiel to the South.

With the war going badly for the US, in the 1861 election Frémont was succeeded as President by James Buchanan. The new President was an experienced diplomat and accomplished negotiator. Accepting that his nation could not win the war, Buchanan negotiated a humbling peace with the British (Treaty of Lisbon, 1862). The ruinous war against the secessionists, who were now supported by the French, rumbled on for another 15 months before the independence of the Federation of the South was recognised by the US on 1 November 1864 (Treaty of Port au Prince). Buchanan was assassinated in Boston on 15 April 1864 by opponents of the treaties.

The Indian Protectorate had fought valiantly on the British side and was rewarded by the creation of the Dominion of Transmichigan at the same time that the Canadian Confederation came into being (1867). Transmichigan was invited to join the Confederation in 1867 and again in 1904, but declined on both occasions.

In 1941, Transmichigan became an independent kingdom within the British Commonwealth, adopting the name of Tepehkiipa. The current flag was adopted on 1 January 1942.

Map - 2014
11jodj5.png

Flag of the Indian Protectorate (1814-1867)
2dsqpgz.png

Flag of the Dominion of Transmichigan (1867-1941)
2wlvmep.png

Flag of the Kingdom of Tepehkiipa (1941 to date)
(ENTRY)
sv6suq.png

I'd like to ask PARISII to set the next challenge, for 2 reasons:
(1) It looks like some people were unable to vote as the site was down. If they had voted it could well be that Parisii might have won.
(2) I'm likely to be out of action (the hospital's wi-fi tends to be slow and blocks some sites) for about 5 or so days.

Thanks Parisii (loved your entry) !!!

Thanks Parisii (loved your entry) !!!

Thank you ! :)

Flag Challenge 109 - "The fight goes on !"

"... I call upon the leaders, together with all soldiers, sailors, and airmen of our land, sea, and air forces, wherever they may now be, to get in touch with me.

I call upon everyone who want to remain free to listen to my voice and follow me.

Long live our country in honour and independence ! ..."

Your Challenge is to design a flag for a government in exile or a resistance organisation during the 20th and/or the 21th century.

Submissions open: 14 March
Submissions close: 21 March (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 22 March
Voting closes: 28 March (Midnight GMT)

Counterfictional won !

PRINCIPALITY OF CRIMEA GOVERNMENT-IN-EXILE

Crimea became a Principality within the Kingdom of Ukraine as a result of the Great Eastern War. Over the period of a decade or so, the existing ethnically Russian majority within the Principality soon became a minority (albeit a significant minority of some 35%) due the exodus of many of the ‘Russians’ and the Ukrainian policy of assisted immigration into Crimea of ethnic Ukrainians. But the defeat of the Ukraine in the brief but bloody war with the fascist Union of All the Russias (UAR) led to the annexation of Crimea by the UAR.

The terms of the peace treaty required that the Ukraine recognised the transfer of Crimea but it did not prevent them from covertly supporting the creation and existence of a ‘government-in-exile’ of the Principality of Crimea. This organisation had its headquarters in Berlin, despite repeated protests from the Union of All the Russias.

(The emblem is taken from the Coat-of-Arms from Our Timeline's Crimea)

i1bty8.png

Flag Challenge 110 - Dis. Topia

Design a flag for a sovereign nationstate, of any kind, that was established in a post-apocalyptic world, from the ruins of, inspired by, and with the capital in, any one of the Disneyland parks found throughout the world.

This apocalypse could have occurred at any point between July 17 1955, and the present day.

The submitted flag can be from any point in the nation's history.

Submissions will close on April 6, midnight BST.

Flag Challenge 110 - Dis. Topia

Design a flag for a sovereign nationstate, of any kind, that was established in a post-apocalyptic world, from the ruins of, inspired by, and with the capital in, any one of the Disneyland parks found throughout the world.

This apocalypse could have occurred at any point between July 17 1955, and the present day.

The submitted flag can be from any point in the nation's history.

Submissions will close on April 6, midnight BST.

ha ! good one !