Red Star: A Soviet Lunar Landing

Mishin along with the program managers and engineers had received high praise and decoration from the Soviet leadership for their winning of the Moon Race and Brezhnev himself was looking at him in a very positive light.

images
images

However now was the difficult decision of how to continue the program. They had enough N1s for one final L3 lunar landing at the beginning of 1970. This would send a clear message to the United States that the Soviet Union was not behind or giving up in the Moon Race, even if they had already won it. Any missions beyond L3-2 would require the Soviets to wait for the completion of later N1 allowing them to fly a third mission in the third or fourth quarter of 1970.

images

The crew selection for the first three L3 landing missions starting with Leonov and Makarov was for the original L1 crews to fly again. The commander (Vostok or Voskhod veteran) would land while the flight engineer (having flown only once prior on the L1 itself) would remain in lunar orbit. While Valeri Bykovsky (commander) and Nikolai Rukavishnikov (flight engineer) were in the suiting up for launch, Pavel Popovich and Vitali Sevastiyanov were training for the already approved L3-3 mission.

images
images

Finally after much preparation (during which Apollo 11 and 12 took the spotlight) L3-2's first N1 launched carrying it's LK into lunar orbit, followed in sequence by a crewed Soyuz just a month later. Unlike prior missions this was different as it featured a significant amount of colour photography and filmography (although L3-1 had taken a number of stunning colour photos) in order to advance their propaganda aims. Also it was a kind of extended duration mission which lasted up to 24 hours (slightly beating Apollo 11 by minutes) . In an obvious move to counter Apollo 12 L3-2 landed just 350 meters away from Luna 9 (the first spacecraft to soft-land on the Moon). It managed stayed in orbit for slightly longer as well performing a two-day long lunar orbital stay as they mapped and imaged the lunar surface.

images
images

Once again the return was normal except for a now recurring problem that happened on the previous L3 mission. Just after separation of the Orbital module while preparing to re-enter the spacecraft would depressurize, forcing the crew to rely on their pressure suits. While this wasn't a necessarily fatal problem (the pressure suits would protect them from the vacuum) it was a serious issue that needed resolving. Luckily they would have the time as no L3 mission could launch until the restarted N1 production allowed for a third flight in 1970. Until then Bykovsky, Vatili along with Makarov, Komarov, Titov and of course most of all Leonov adapted to being worldwide celebrities of the Moon. It was to them as if they arrived on a completely different world as Yuri Gagarin experienced when he returned

Last edited:
Apollo 12 lunar surface stay time was 31 1/2 hours so the Soviets have to do a little more than stay just beyond 24-hours.

Exciting race.

Given that the N1 is working (astoundingly well, almost unbelievably), shouldnt the Soviets have produced a second run in time for a shorter interruption in missions?

Oh, and having the N11 as a reasonable launcher (with nontoxic fuel, right?), is likely going to stand them in good stead, replacing iotls Proton.

Exciting race.

That was the aim. :)

Given that the N1 is working (astoundingly well, almost unbelievably), shouldnt the Soviets have produced a second run in time for a shorter interruption in missions?

A miscommunication between myself and SpaceGeek. I meant to say that they went through their ready N1's fast and had to wait until new ones were finished before they could resume fights proper.

Oh, and having the N11 as a reasonable launcher (with nontoxic fuel, right?), is likely going to stand them in good stead, replacing iotls Proton.

It's been having more successes than failures (don't forget what the Soviet Media is like ;) ) and lessons learned from the N11 being carried over to the N1 helps to make it work better. As does sticking to 75,000 Kg to LEO, IIRC, it was pushing it up to 95,000 Kg that crippled the N1.

It's been having more successes than failures (don't forget what the Soviet Media is like ;) ) and lessons learned from the N11 being carried over to the N1 helps to make it work better. As does sticking to 75,000 Kg to LEO, IIRC, it was pushing it up to 95,000 Kg that crippled the N1.

Oh, sure, I agree that you've made some major improvements, but the sudden switch in A stages from lots of failures to universal successes seems, to me, to be stretching things a bit. And its not like an A stage blowing up can be hidden. Didnt the OTL ones show up on seismographs?

Oh, sure, I agree that you've made some major improvements, but the sudden switch in A stages from lots of failures to universal successes seems, to me, to be stretching things a bit. And its not like an A stage blowing up can be hidden. Didnt the OTL ones show up on seismographs?

IOTL, one N1 failure showed up on Spy Satellites specifically tuned to pick out Nuclear Detonations (N1-5L). And AFAIK, the US didn't think there had been an earlier N1 launch until a few decades later.

Though I'll point out that they've only mitigated some of the major modes of Block A failure, who knows what'll happen if KORD acts up...

The calm returned, it appeared as if the USSR had given up on moon landings, maybe it was just a one off stunt. That is, until L3-2 took to the skies.

I’m starting to wonder whether a possible ITTL version of the ASTP will involve a Soyuz 7K-LOK docking with an Apollo CSM in lunar orbit.

That's what I was thinking of.

With an orbital rendezvous if you miss by 10 meters, you've missed (and risked collision).

With a surface rendezvous you can miss by 20 km and still perform the rendezvous with the aid of an unpressurized lunar lander.

Further in this TL both L3-2 and Apollo 12 have both performed surface rendezvous. So that's quite a possibility.

Some great updates today despite the Lunar Lighting condition shenanigans. :)

Look forward to seeing more from this TL.

Right now the Soviets are ruling the war of opinion and probably the US public isn't happy with being beat. The fact that both SuperPowers went BEO for humans this could means that things could get dicey for whoever wants to retreat first. So neither Super-Power can really afford to back off their human BEO rocket production lines, Saturn V, N1. I don't think Nixon dares to pull back on the Apollo program or the Apollo Applications program. I could even see this current climate giving the Air Force MOL program a reprieve.

Currently the US has better flexibility in the more robust hardware and growth. The Saturn with it's high energy fuel upper-stages and F1 engines just has more growth capacity if needed to carry heavier loads. The LM with some modifications can go to 3-day stays. The US investment in better hardware is starting to payoff. Already with Dual EVA and 2-man landing teams. The ATL mentions a 2-day lunar orbit stay by the latest Soviet Mission. Apollo 12 spent 89 hours in Lunar orbit almost 4 full days. Apollo 12returned over 75lbs of moon rocks. Also the ALSEP package has been setup by Apollo 12 so the US now has active experiments on the moon for the next several years.

The Soviet's however have always know how to make do with less. I see probably a dual launch in the future. Basically a N1 launches and lands a Soviet Lunar Shelter that maybe allow 7-14 day surface stay. The Soviet Lander just needs to get the crewman down and back off the surface and stays in stand-by while they operate from the shelter. However in order to do that they need to develop a automated landing for the Lunar Lander and will need really good detailed photographs of the area to land on with automated lander. The other possibility to tweak the US is they land a woman on the Moon. Talk about how Communism isn't sexist (When it actually is).

Anyway 1970 is going to be a bad year for the US with Apollo 13. Could be really bad if the author's decide to make it worse than historical which could have easily happened. The next successful launch was Apollo 14 in February 1971. We really have to wait until Apollo 15 in July 1971 to see the program really hit it's stride.

Right now the Soviets are ruling the war of opinion and probably the US public isn't happy with being beat. The fact that both SuperPowers went BEO this could means that things could get dicey for whoever wants to retreat first. So neither Super-Power can really afford to back off their BEO rocket production lines, Saturn V, N1. I don't think Nixon dares to pull back on the Apollo program or the Apollo Applications program. I could even see this current climate giving the Air Force MOL program a reprieve.

While MOL may have a few flights ITTL, I don’t really think it can last. Reconnaissance satellites are simply far more cost effective. Speaking of MOL, I’m curious how ITTL has affected the Almaz/Salyut programs. The POD being in 1960 (and thus predating the start of the Almaz program), has the Almaz program been butterflied away, or is there still work being done ITTL on Almaz or a version of it?

I don’t think there’ll be that much of a focus on space stations ITTL, but lunar bases instead, and maybe lunar space stations. Of course, the resources poured into lunar exploration (and possibly manned Mars/Venus flybys ITTL) will have interesting economic and social effects, I think. After all, the resources for manned lunar exploration have to come out of somewhere. I just hope that when the cold war ends, the U.S. manned lunar program has enough inertia to continue ITTL.

While MOL may have a few flights ITTL, I don’t really think it can last. Reconnaissance satellites are simply far more cost effective. Speaking of MOL, I’m curious how ITTL has affected the Almaz/Salyut programs. The POD being in 1960 (and thus predating the start of the Almaz program), has the Almaz program been butterflied away, or is there still work being done ITTL on Almaz or a version of it?

I don’t think there’ll be that much of a focus on space stations ITTL, but lunar bases instead, and maybe lunar space stations. Of course, the resources poured into lunar exploration (and possibly manned Mars/Venus flybys ITTL) will have interesting economic and social effects, I think. After all, the resources for manned lunar exploration have to come out of somewhere. I just hope that when the cold war ends, the U.S. manned lunar program has enough inertia to continue ITTL.

I agree that it isn't as effective as recon satellites. However that doesn't mean that the US DOD will do the smart thing or the most cost effective thing. It could very well be that the US Government turns over LEO to the military and has NASA focused strictly on BEO missions, either manned or un-manned.

It could very well be that the US Government turns over LEO to the military and has NASA focused strictly on BEO missions, either manned or un-manned.

That….makes sense. I can see a “take space back from the reds” mindset. Of course, LEO is where all the most militarily useful applications (communications, reconnaissance, orbital bombardment) are. Continued Saturn V production might also give military planners ideas about heavy military satellites…..

Sheesh, I knew in my head that the N1 punched below its weight class intuitively, because of its use of less energetic upper stages. However, I hadn't actually ever seen numbers on how bad the difference was. The N1's payload to translunar injection in its 75-ton-to-LEO config? 16.5 tons! It would take just under three N1s to achieve the TLI (or really any BEO) payload of a single Saturn V. And, if the Americans hang in on a race for Mars or lunar bases, that can be very, very important.