"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

*slow, mounting, but terrified clap*

Congratulations, Nap. You've made an analogue of John Frikkin' Kennedy, one of the most idolised figures of American history, into a complete lunatic authoritarian in this TL. :eek: I've never thought I'd say this, but ol' Joe Steele is starting to look positively bareable right now ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

If there are any vaguely decent people left in the Tripartite powers, all I can say is: "Go, Tripartite Empire ! Go, and kick some authoritarian ass before you go down fighting ! You're one of our last, and not best hopes !" :(

Wake me up when the missiles launch and the world gets reduced to nuclear cinders. After all, it won't be the complete end of the world, not yet. *Ron Perlman voice* Only the beginning of another bloody chapter in human history. War... War never changes... :eek: :D

I second thine statement!

And I agree with you, compared to Steele and Custer, Oswald is REALLY starting to look like the anti-Christ and the Beast. Hell, I might even choose freaking HITLER over this... This freak!

At this point I side with the monarchists in general.

The Prussians/Germans and the Tripartite must be crapping their pants right now. Two military behemoths, one across the Atlantic and another sitting right next to Prussia/Germany.

Not to mention the growing Chinese and Indonesian empires north of their Australian and South Pacific holdings, both with hundreds of millions of people.

How populated is "Alyaska" anyways? IOTL, the Russians mostly just ignored it.

Not extremely populated, but there are people there. It's mostly military, with Russia being interested in the region solely to stick America in the eye.

There is no hope in this TL, only Oswald.

Oswald.gif

"I will kill all the foreigners with a bomb."

:D:p Sorry, I couldn't resist.

*slow, mounting, but terrified clap*

Congratulations, Nap. You've made an analogue of John Frikkin' Kennedy, one of the most idolised figures of American history, into a complete lunatic authoritarian in this TL. :eek: I've never thought I'd say this, but ol' Joe Steele is starting to look positively bareable right now ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

JFK's also my favorite POTUS OTL. :D

I second thine statement!

And I agree with you, compared to Steele and Custer, Oswald is REALLY starting to look like the anti-Christ and the Beast. Hell, I might even choose freaking HITLER over this... This freak!

At this point I side with the monarchists in general.

When Hitler seems like the best-scenario to save the world, you know you're close to creating the biggest dystopian hell ever. :D

When Hitler seems like the best-scenario to save the world, you know you're close to creating the biggest dystopian hell ever. :D

Had read worse universes (really) but yeah this is specially good made and REALLY dark ... and I can't help but love it

So you want a Tv Tropes page?, you deserve it

Really what is passing now in the caribbean?

Last edited:

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'
Oh my God, I am literally laughing manically at how insane this world has become. Authoritarian, Brave New World-esque United States invading Britain and building a wall on the Welsh-English border, white supremacist Indonesia invading the Philippines, pseudo-democratic Giant Russia invading Turkey in the name of "freedom", all while a grand alliance of the Über Napoleonic Empire and Super Prussia look on in (presumably) pants-soiling terror.

I love it.

...wait, what ever happened to Jamaica?

I have to give it to Nap: This setting is just believably dystopic enough to be featured in some future AH.com crossover fiction. Maybe even in an episode of the new series ? :p

You're not on the level lord and master of the grimdark Warhammer 40K yet. Insane, megalomaniac tyrants can't beat insane, megalomaniac gods. And at least in this timeline your suffering ends when you die, in 40K, dying just gets you into a fate worse then being sent to hell.

But other than that, keep this shit up! Its beautiful!

So you want a Tv Tropes page?, you deserve it

Really what is passing now in the caribbean?

I sure do! This TL is so laced with tropes, the page would be a mile long. :D

I promise to show more about the Caribbean soon. Basically, they're just trying to scrape by now, and all the Southron refugees have unified behind dictator Washington.

Oh my God, I am literally laughing manically at how insane this world has become. Authoritarian, Brave New World-esque United States invading Britain and building a wall on the Welsh-English border, white supremacist Indonesia invading the Philippines, pseudo-democratic Giant Russia invading Turkey in the name of "freedom", all while a grand alliance of the Über Napoleonic Empire and Super Prussia look on in (presumably) pants-soiling terror.

I love it.

...wait, what ever happened to Jamaica?

That pretty much sums it up. :D

Jamaica is a Southron region now. It's still "independent," but they will probably form some crude confederacy *ahem* with the other Caribbean holdings.

I have to give it to Nap: This setting is just believably dystopic enough to be featured in some future AH.com crossover fiction. Maybe even in an episode of the new series ? :p

I'd love to see crossover fiction. :D

You're not on the level lord and master of the grimdark Warhammer 40K yet. Insane, megalomaniac tyrants can't beat insane, megalomaniac gods. And at least in this timeline your suffering ends when you die, in 40K, dying just gets you into a fate worse then being sent to hell.

But other than that, keep this shit up! Its beautiful!

True that, but this TL isn't science fiction fantasy like WH 40K. Compared to Orwell and other dystopias, this is getting pretty darned close to being worse. Within the laws of nature and physics, this is pretty darned horrific. :D:eek:

Thanks, man! Will do!

Possibly the darkest chapter in Madnessverse history so far.

THE AMERICAN TAMERLANE
ea743c35c.jpg

The infamous Martin Jones picture of Oswald in 1967

"
Mr. Nixon. President Oswald would like to speak with you," said Chuckie Oswald's faithful black butler Sam over the phone.

The Chief Minister of the Manifest Destiny Party scowled and answered, "Fine, put him through."

"Hello? Dick?"

"That's my name, don't wear it out."

"Haha, that's a good one. Listen Nix, I'm going to be going away for a little while. To Oshkosh. Get some fresh northern air and get the red corpuscles pumping."

"Yes, Mr. President. That sounds like a good idea. I'll handle things while you're away," Nixon said flatly and without emotion.

"Yeah, well, I'll still keep in touch. I'm sure you'd not want to make any decisions without consulting me first," Oswald said cheerfully and matter-of-factually.

Nixon cringed. "You need to rest, Mr. President. Forget about politics for a while. I have this covered."

Oswald's personality suddenly changed. "Oh yeah? Think you're the big cheese, eh? Well, you're not, you're just the m*****-f****** Chief Minister of the Party and I'm the damn President. F*** you! F*** you! F*** you! Nix! Hey! Listen to this. F*** YOU, NIX! You will consult with me by phone before making any decisions, you pointy-nosed, balding punk."

Nixon was barely able to resist the urge to scream back at Oswald. All of Oswald's subordinates had to walk on eggshells at all times, for fear the President would randomly snap and have them executed or sent to a camp. Though it would be unpopular, who was to say Oswald wouldn't do the same to Nixon? Nixon took a deep breath and replied, "Negative, sir. I'm merely wanting to assist you in any way I can."

"Well, Nix, arrange my for travel to Oshkosh." Oswald's personality abruptly shifting again. "I'd prefer to go by plane. And make sure there are some good-looking ladies in the crew."

"Yes, Mr. President, of course. It shall be done. All hail!"

"All hail!" Oswald replied through coughs.

The year 1967 was to be the one of the most important in the life of John Kennedy and his alias Charles Oswald. His health was rapidly declining thanks to a mysterious, unknown disease eating him up and his massive abuse of drugs and alcohol, especially cocaine lozenges. His mind was completely fractured, giving him two personalities, one the charismatic political mastermind, and the other the seemingly demonic mass murderer hellbent on on killing everything in sight. Mental breakdowns were frequent, and due to a massive beer binge he was unable to announce the Comrade-Patriot Act to the nation, instead leaving it to his henchman Nixon while he was hospitalized. In fact, his health was so terrible that some in the American government secretly thought about deposing him and installing a new leader. But deep down, everyone was too terrified to really try something.

The world public was kept from ever knowing of Oswald's illness. Until August 13th, 1967, when Oswald was photographed on crutches by amateur newspaper reporter Martin Jones. It was revealed that much of Oswald's waking hours were spent on crutches or in a wheelchair. The picture was miraculously smuggled out of America and over to Europe, where it triggered a firestorm of controversy. Oswald was furious, and Jones was found dead in his bathroom on August 24th. Considered an international hero, the United Nations directly accused Oswald of assassinating the reporter.

By the end of the year, Oswald's health had taken yet another turn for the worse. He suffered a minor stroke which left him with a partially paralyzed right arm. The arm grew weak and withered, and he kept it hidden with a black leather glove. Now, the President of the New United States was a crazed, ill little man with a withered arm in a wheelchair, usually high on cocaine and amphetamines or drunk. And he always had his finger on the Big Red Nuclear Button. With a people to afraid too rise up and an officer staff too terrified to try to overthrow him, he had everyone right where he wanted them.

Meanwhile, in the occupied former Columbian nations, the natives were restless. Things had started getting out of control. In Miami, tensions between native Southrons and the authorities ended with the Miami Riot of 1967. Over 9000 civilians were brutalized by the National Guard and the military, and over 500 were killed.

7936743264_623c6abbf7_o.jpg

National Guard Military Policemen beat Southron nationalists during the Miami Riot of 1967

To make things more palatable and to appease the occupied Southrons (since he could not simply kill or imprison everyone), Oswald stabbed one of America's most loyal and patriotic groups: Negroes. For two centuries, the Northerners had championed the cause of black rights as part of their Enlightenment teachings. During the war, several black guerrilla groups had supported America within Columbia. The South didn't trust the blacks. The North secretly felt just as racist toward them as they did toward anyone (Nixon hated blacks as "lower than the yellow devils, and just one step above the Slavs) and wanted them wiped out as early as the 1950s). The blacks who had served in the war were forgotten and ignored.

On December 31st, Oswald announced a new system was coming to America. From then on, a new system called "Segregation" was instituted and followed by force, modeled after the Republican Union of South Africa's Apartheid system. Blacks could no longer live in the same neighborhoods as whites, could no longer visit the same restaurants or stores, could no longer own firearms, could no longer serve in the military, could no longer hold political office, and could no longer ride on the same buses, trains, planes, and aeroships as white Anglo-Saxon-Germanics. Blacks felt fully betrayed and up-rooted. ORRA troopers in body armor forced black families at gunpoint from white neighborhoods all across the country. Those who failed to obey government orders faced dire consequences. For the first time ever, truckloads of blacks began to arrive at Goldstein's reeducation camps.

The government knew it was only a matter of time by this point before race riots would begin. From January to March, 1968, the National Guard spent hundreds of millions of dollars on preparing and organizing for civil unrest. By April, the government wanted the blacks to act out. Even the disgruntled Nixon gleefully admitted he was "looking forward to spewing some Patriot's Fire on those Inferior darkie bastards."

1968-riots.jpg

An ORRA trooper mercilessly beats black rioters

10001322H11949820.JPG

The 13th ORRA Mechanized, the infamous Bad Luck Brigade, marches down a ghetto street following their deployment of Ultra-Chlorine against black rebels

fa43fb36b3ac97af4f0189d2438eee0d_three_column.jpg

ORRA officers beat and lynch a black man

On May 11th, 1968, it finally happened. All across the South, blacks rose up in huge numbers. White people were dragged out of their homes and murdered in revenge. NUSA flags burned in the town squares of Richmond and Atlanta. Portraits of Oswald, Steele, and Custer were ripped and stepped on. Richmond was the initial hotspot of the Negro Uprising of 1968. And one of the ORRA officers about to make a name for himself there was the 21 year-old son of British territorial military governor Augustus O. Romney. The handsome young man was known as "Mittens" by his fellow troopers, and he was the perfect example of a young American being brought up to be a future Party leader. Hadrian Mitt Romney rode with the ORRA Cavalry Division, the direct successor of Custer's beloved horse brigades.

9578493101_29bcf58c17_n.jpg

Hadrian Mitt Romney

On May 12th, 30 mounted ORRA officers under Romney's command were ordered to forcibly remove black protestors from Richmond Square. Suddenly, the sounds of small arms fire filled the air. A black militia was firing on the ORRA riot troops. Romney's horse, being at the front of the column, immediately was shot out from underneath him. There he lay for a good minute, struggling to get his now-broken right leg out from underneath the horse's body. All around, ORRA officers were falling, frantically trying to spot their bushwhackers. Finally, Romney pulled himself up off the ground and grabbed a belt-fed machine gun from a nearby overturned National Guard truck. Removing the weapon from its mounting, Romney draped the ammunition belt over his shoulder and began blazing away at the black rebels. Romney was soon shot twice, once in the broken right leg and another in the upper left thigh, crippling both legs. Now unable to stand and with his back to a wall, Romney just kept on firing. Soon, dozens of rebel corpses littered the street. When he ran out of ammo, Romney crawled back to the overturned truck, grabbed a bucket of fresh belts, and continued firing from there. Inspired and awe-struck, the ORRA cavalrymen rallied. Even when one of the rebels fired a rocket launcher at Romney and only narrowly missed, the ORRA troopers pushed on. The blacks were soon completely routed from Richmond Square, and the ORRA Eagle Banner was planted firmly by the overturned truck. News swept the nation of, as the New York Times put it, "Plucky Mitt Romney's heroic last stand against the negro hordes!" Romney was rushed to the Richmond Military Hospital. He would recover fully, and, during an interview with Uncle Sam's Talkiebox Station, Mitt said, "Golly gee, I can't wait to get out there and whip some more Inferior asses! Lemme at 'em, and we'll show those traitors how we do things in this country."

President Oswald personally requested to meet with Mitt as part of his broadcast series of interviews with "young Americans going above and beyond the Call of Manifest Destiny." Among other young men and women he sat down with were young North Lewisiana native William Jefferson Blythe, a Cadet-Colonel in the Custer Youth Brigade who many expected to shortly become the new head of the CYB itself, and young National Guardsman Albert Gore II, the son of a West Carolinian spy for America during the World War.

By the time Mitt had left the hospital, the Negro Uprising had been going on for two months, and showed no signs of letting up. Over 156,000 blacks had been killed in the revolt, and the United Nations was calling it a "grave humanitarian crisis and an extreme ethnic cleansing, but nothing unexpected from the dastardly Yankees."

Nixon was very pleased. He placed himself in charge of a large amount of the "war effort," and kept baiting the blacks to revolt again and again, to flush them out. The total shoreline protection provided by the NUSA Navy prevented any arms or supplies from coming in from America's enemies. The blacks could only use what they found, and the government made sure that wasn't much. The restrictive gun laws put in place by the Comrade-Patriot Act made sure only those the government deem the Fittest had guns. Thus, more and more massacres were committed by machine gun-toting government soldiers against blacks armed with pistols, rusty rifles, and knives and machetes.

By late August, the death toll of blacks was up to 250,000. ORRA estimated that 14 million blacks lived in the North American US. They left it up to Oswald to decide what to do with them. He chose genocide. In a meeting with his advisers, Oswald said something that shocked even Nixon: "We're gonna wipe 'em out. All 14 million niggers. Every last one of them. Cut that. We'll send some back to Africa to work our plantations in Liberia. We'll send some to Mexico, to work on our farms with the other Inferiors. But the rest, I'd say about 10 million or so, we're just gonna exterminate. I'll let ORRA decide which blacks should be sent to the work camps, and which to put down. But I expect immediate progress. I want to be able to go to Tupelo and not see a single darkie. Make it happen." The government then set out on their quest to annihilate the black population. This idea was wildly popular with the Southrons, and it helped cut back on civil unrest by white nationalists.

The slaughter commenced on October 1st, 1968. Tupelo, Georgia, the most heavily black populated city in America, was invaded by ORRA in a massive assault on defenseless civilians. The black population, some 895,000, was completely massacred. Over 895,000 men, women, and children were personally shot by ORRA troopers. One trooper, August McMillan wrote in his diary, "This is... hell. I cannot express my horror at what is taking place here. We are murdering tens of thousands. We marched into a schoolhouse and killed every black student and teacher in sight. We blew up a baseball stadium packed with blacks looking for a place to seek shelter. We have bulldozers pushing the tens of thousands of corpses into huge piles, which are then burned with Patriot's Fire by the Hellfire Brigade. Every day in Tupelo is a waking nightmare. Sometimes, I just want to end it all. I want to say something. But when everything you say can end up with you executed, it's easier not to say anything at all." The next day after that diary entry, McMillian was found at the ruins of the schoolhouse hanged from the rafters. Whether he committed suicide or his diary was read and he was killed by his fellow troopers for being a nonconformist will never be known. During the late 1960s ethnic cleansing, there was a noticeable jump in the rate of ORRA officer suicides.

By the end of 1968, over 2 million blacks had been murdered by the government. The stories of the massacres were never covered by the news, and it was barely known-about in the rest of the world. Americans knew full-well what was happening, and while there were those who secretly thought it despicable and demonic, there were many hardcore racists who totally approved of the entire genocide. The Uprising was completely crushed by December, but that didn't stop the government from continuing to mow down million of blacks. It was so much easier when they didn't fight back, after all. Now, thought, if only they could do the same to the rest of the Inferiors, and finally purify their entire nation...

faketwitter.jpg

An unknown member of the AFC Council of Jehovah secret society hails a crowd of Gulfport white supremacists (not pictured) in this infamous 1968 photographed

Last edited:
And this is the part where the *Americans finally crossed the final morality line (this is where Hitler and the Nazis stand) and finally into the bottomless pit of pure, unrelenting inhumanity and barbarism.

You know, considering the population of blacks in South America not even counting on the Inferiors, the NUSA government is planning to kill tens, no hundreds of millions. Yeah, you were right when you said this is the darkest chapter yet.:eek:

Any forthcoming chapters describing the rest of the world's reactions to this monstrosity?

Now if you would excuse me, I... I need to go to the wash.

Oswald's personality suddenly changed. "Oh yeah? Think you're the big cheese, eh? Well, you're not, you're just the m*****-f****** Chief Minister of the Party and I'm the damn President. F*** you! F*** you! F*** you! Nix! Hey! Listen to this. F*** YOU, NIX! You will consult with me by phone before making any decisions, you pointy-nosed, balding punk."
A good opening: I just thought of Tom Cruise's rant in Tropic Thunder :D:D:cool:
By the end of the year, Oswald's health had taken yet another turn for the worse. He suffered a minor stroke which left him with a partially paralyzed right arm. The arm grew weak and withered, and he kept it hidden with a black leather glove.
Put the man in a wheelchair and give him a German accent :p Mein President! I can walk!
To make things more palatable and to appease the occupied Southrons (since he could not simply kill or imprison everyone), Oswald stabbed one of America's most loyal and patriotic groups: Negroes.
Well shit :eek::eek: That came outta nowhere...with NUSA this cannot end well for the blacks :(
and young National Guardsman Albert Gore II, the son of a West Carolinian spy for America during the World War.
Honestly, I'm not even surprised. You've made Kennedy more evil than Stalin, Hitler, Big Brother and Walt Disney rolled together :eek::rolleyes:
"grave humanitarian crisis and an extreme ethnic cleansing, but nothing unexpected from the dastardly Yankees."
This actually made me laugh, if only at the thought of a cape-wearing Oswald twirling a moustache and cackling evilly :D Which made this...
Oswald said something that shocked even Nixon: "We're gonna wipe 'em out. All 14 million niggers. Every last one of them.
...all the worse. Yep, Featherston was bush-league: nobody's getting outta this one alive :( How long before we see ex-Columbian suicide bombers? Because really, there's no point living in this godforsaken deathworld for anyone west of Iceland. I'm just hoping the rest of the world comes to its' senses and Russia goes Red Dawn on America's ass :D never gonna happen, just wanted to say it :eek:

...oh God, what's going on in Ireland? I don't know if I want to know...

So the NUSA finally turned to something worse than the Nazis well done Napo you gave me something worse than the Draka and the TCB ponies

can't wait how the NUSA will go down

Can the NUSA just be ISOTed away now? Preferably to a world that can take it down and is willing to spend the next century fixing that mess?

Ok, that is hoping for to much with this world.

Well, there it is. The last "good thing" that the NUSA had going for it is gone. DAMN! KILL EVERYONE? :eek: All the black people in North America? You just had to add Featherston to the already scary-as-hell NUSA insanity, didn't you? I am just waiting for Oswald to die, and have everyone in and out of the NUSA go Feast For Crows over what's left. You're making me, a born and bred "Right-Wing-Commie-Hater" cheer for the freaking Beutelists!

Also, props for making Mitt Romney interesting.:D I thought that, with Mormonism butterflied out, there wouldn't be anything to set him apart from the other rich, scary, insane white people in this TL. Thanks for that. Even evil murderers can be pretty badass.:cool:

Last edited:
You've managed to make the Americans worse than the Nazis. :(

Also, am I the only one that caught the subtle reference to OTL Stalin(or maybe Darth Vader), with Oswald having a shriveled right arm?

Tprynn

Banned
I am just waiting for Oswald to die, and have everyone in and out of the NUSA go Feast For Crows over what's left.

"In that darkness, the Papists came. They swept through cities and the states, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale Inferiors big as hounds."
:p

Reading back, I noticed that aside from a few tidbits in the build up to the war and their war for independence chapter, California is barely mentioned. I know they get occupied by NUSA, but it seems a little anti-climatic considering the build-up. The natives americans at least deserve a heroic, if utterly doomed, last stand

EDIT: Don't mean to sound like such a demanding fan. I'm just a sucker for world building in great timelines

Last edited: