Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

(I see some people could use a little more patience! ;))

Flag Challenge 100: Centennial Contest Spectacular!

Your challenge for this special anniversary round is to design a flag with a connection to the number 100, be it 100 states, tribes, founders, islands, years, planets, dimensions, lines in the national anthem whatever. The only restrictions are that you must make it clear how your flag is connected to the number 100 and no 100-star OTL US flags please - we want creativity!

Challenge begins: Monday 30 September
Challenge ends: Monday 7 October
Voting begins: Tuesday 8 October
Voting ends: Tuesday 15 October

Have fun AH vexillographers! :)

The 100th edition of the Flag Challenge is over and we have two winners!

Congratulations to King Alvar I "the Silent" (ahem :)) of Estonia for his entry marking a 100 years of the Kingdom of Estonia:
100th years of Kingdom of Estonia

New flag design that won the contest for new Estonian Kingdom flag and to celebrate 100th anniversary of Kingdom of Estonia and since then this flag has been used

0rzr.png

And also congratulations to Princess ah-sue for her completely non-boar-ing flag of the Burnham Hundred:
THE BURNHAM HUNDRED or AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

The Burnham Hundred (one of the three parts of the famous Chiltern Hundreds) was granted independence from England by King Richard III on 13 March 1484, in return for its allegedly fervent support of Richard’s claim to the English throne. Richard kept all his mediaeval royal powers and assumed the title Grand Duke Richard.

This proclamation was a matter of local folklore but was dismissed by historians, although a few believed it to have been supressed, with all documents destroyed, by the Tudor King Henry VII (1485-1509) who had defeated and killed Richard III on 22 August 1485.

Richard’s body being unearthed in a car park in Leicester (2012) led to further excavations which eventually led to the discovery in York of a number of documents from his reign. Amongst these was the decree granting independence to (the Grand Duchy of) the Burnham Hundred. Despite years of legal wrangling, the independence of the Burnham Hundred was finally confirmed in 2020. The independence ceremony took place on 1 January 2021, with Edward Abney-Hastings being proclaimed Grand Duke.

The flag adopted by the Burnham Hundred was based upon the county flag of Buckinghamshire, with Richard III’s white boar emblem replacing the county’s swan.

29bovvn.png

The Grand Duchy had no intention of remaining separate from England for very long and after enjoying 4 years of being a tourist curiosity attraction re-joined England on 1 April 2024. Grand Duke Edward was allowed to keep his title and devoted the rest of his life to writing alternate history novels despite suffering from acute sealionophobia.

71tqc1.png

Would you buy a used horse from this man?​

Here's some glasses of champagne for you both to enjoy while you bask in the glory of your triumphs!
zr9SBPeyDZi7DtN2a.jpeg

And lastly a thank you to everyone who entered this and any of the previous 99 contests! :D

Congrats! I was a big fan of the Burnham Hundred flag! And I am flattered to take default second.

Now, who was it that's choosing the next challenge? I've been bitten by the flag bug now! :)

Flag Challenge 101: Khazaria

Your challenge is to design a flag for a surviving Khazar polity. It doesn't have to be a Khaganate, or of Jewish character, though of course those are possibilities.

Challenge begins: Tuesday 15 October
Challenge ends: Tuesday 22 October
Voting begins: Wednesday 23 October
Voting ends: Wednesday 30 October

Here we go.

CHALLENGE 102

Brief: Design a flag for a dependency, territory, nation, federation, confederation, empire, free trade area or treaty organisation that is made up of a union of one or more present day OTL island territories in the Pacific Ocean.

Definition of Pacific: See Attachment.

The Pacific Ocean: Light Blue - as defined by the CIA factbook; Black Line - as defined by the International Hydrographic Organisation; Red Line - my inclusion.

Frankly I find both official definitions unacceptable. So, I will accept the IHO definition, but be lenient and extend the SW border of the Pacific from the Black Line to the Red. This allows a little wiggle room if you want to mess around with New Zealand and it's neighbours. However, I will be strict within these boundries, so don't go sneaking in a cheeky Aleutian or Philippine.

EDIT: Derp. Forgot times.

Submissions Open: 2nd of November.
Submissions Close: 9th of November.
Voting Opens: 10th of November.
Voting Ends: 17th of November.

I think that covers everything. If you need any more clarification, let me know.

Peace. W

Pacific_Ocean.png

CONGRATULATIONS TO VIPERHAWKS

Winner of FOTW Challenge 102, with this brilliant entry.

The current flag of the People's Republic of Transpacifica (a constituent republic of the Union of American People's Republics) was established on November 7, 1936. It consists of a light blue field, with four white stars in the fly, and a 24-pointed white star below a red canton with the Emblem of the UAPR. Between 1934 and the adoption of the new flag, a version of the Hawaiian flag with the UAPR emblem in the canton was used.

YCQQy1J.png

Commiserations to the losers, but know that the prize has no cash value whatsoever, and is basically a tremendous burden of responsibility to ensure the survival of the competition.

I shall PM VH to share the good news. Watch this space for the next challenge!

CHALLENGE #103

Children of Africa

Your challenge for the round is to create a flag for a sovereign nation in Sub-Saharan Africa which was never subject to colonization. White settler states like the Boer republics are obviously not allowed, nor are black settler states like Liberia. No Ethiopia, please.

Submissions open: November 18th
Submissions close: November 25th
Voting opens: November 26th
Voting closes: December 2nd

Weekly Flag Challenge #104

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT

1812: Russia resists Napoleon’s invasion but suffers huge losses and is riven by internal dissent and desertions. The monarchy is overthrown and a revolutionary government sues for peace. Given that the French also suffered losses greater than the Emperor anticipated, he imposed hard terms on the Russians.

Napoleon created one or more ‘new’ nations in the western parts of the area shown in green on the map below, finding a spare relative to become the head of state.

THE CHALLENGE: Apart from designing a flag for one of these nations, briefly describe its borders and the title of the head of state.

eject0.png

Submissions open: 8 December
Submissions close: 15 December (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 16 December
Voting closes: 23 December (Midnight GMT)

This was a joint win between What Am I Doing and myself.

What Am I Doing said:
Flag of the Kingdom of Ukraine. It controls Podolia, Volhynia, Zaporozhye, Prichernomorie, Naddnipryanshchyna and Slobozhanschina. Try to pronounce it. Ukraine was formed after the victory of Napoleon in Russia. Until 1815 it was in the sphere of influence of France and was formally led by Napoleon himself. After the collapse of the French empire, Ukraine gained its independence and new king was elected in Kievan Rada.

attachment.php

The Professor said:
Ruthenia is a founding member and Federal Region of the East European Commonwealth.
One of the many nations created during the Napoleonic Invasion of Imperial Russia it was not expected to survive Napoleon's Fall, however at the Congress of Vienna many members wanted to curb the rise of the reinstalled Tsar and the Kingdom of Ruthenia*, albeit with it's Bonaparte King removed, was added to the Duchy of Warsaw and other lands to form the Polish-Ruthenian Commonwealth. A constitutional semi-dual monarchy (the 2 parliaments sat together but had 2 separate Prime Ministers) was headed by Maximilian of Wettin to compensate for his (new) loss of Saxony to Prussia.
During WWI the PRC grew to include Galicia and Crimea and post WWII became the East European Commonwealth of Republics.
With the end of the Cold War the EECR was one of the few countries to reinstall the monarchy. The Republics became Federal Regions each with a Prime Minister who belongs to the Council of Prime Ministers, with the Presidency of that rotating among them.

EDIT: * initially created from the Governates of Kiev, Podolia, Volinia, Poltava, Chernigov, and Minsk

attachment.php
onward to the next challenge

Flag Challenge 105
"The Slavolingian Roman Empire"

A Slavic Charlemagne figure united various Slavic kingdoms and on conquering a Roman Capital he was declared Imperator Romanum.
Your challenge is to design the flag of this Slavic Roman Empire (which has survived the rise of heraldry and vexillary)

NB
This empire cannot by Muscovy derived
While predominantly Slavic other nations can be part of this empire
Any Roman Capital will do, even ones that were not OTL

Submissions open: 29 December
Submissions close: 4 January (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 5ish January
Voting closes: 12ish January (Midnight GMT)

Last edited:
And AH-Sue won.

OK, here's a quickly knocked up entry. Apologies for lack of details but for me it's been a hectic xmas/new year.

THE SLAVIC ROMAN EMPIRE

Roman Provincial capital captured = Sopianae, Pannonia

The Slavic Roman Empire at its greatest extent:
ftfvxl.png

The flag of the Slavic Roman Empire:
Central symbol = the Kolovrat, a Slavic swastika
Colours = the deep red and gold of the Roman Empire
2u6ky00.png

We look forward to your challenge

Weekly Flag Challenge 106

Major POD - 80% of Iberian Peninsula in Muslim control until the 17th century
1492 - Henry VII of England sponsors voyage of Colombus
1506 - To defuse rivalry of England and France in in the ‘New World’, Pope Adrian VIII promulgates Papal Bull ‘dividing’ the Americas between England and France along the 23rd Parallel North – North of the Parallel to France, South to England
1511 - Following meeting of King Louis XII and King Arthur, negotiations lead to the Treaty of St Helier, which makes various minor adjustments to the division in the Papal Bull

THE CHALLENGE:
It’s the year 2000 – design a flag for a nation in the Americas in TTL and briefly give background history.

Submissions open – 19 January, 1800 (GMT)
Submissions close – 26 January, 2400 (GMT)
Voting opens – 28 January, 0000 (GMT)
Voting closes - 4 February, 1044 (GMT)

Last edited:
Well, I won with this eyewatering rendition
ViceRoyalty of New Aquitaine / VisRoyaume de Guyenne Neuve

New Aquitaine is primarily derived from the Fort Bordeux settlement established in Northern South America c1500. Being located south of the Adrian Line it was at risk of conquest by the English until the Treaty of St Helier.
The treaty allowed ambitions governors to expand along the coast until 1537 when French (Roman) Emperor Eudes I established it as a Vice Royalty of the Roman Empire shortly after his election to the HRE.
New Aquitaine was is traditionally governed by 2nd or 3rd sons of the Emperor following the War of Electors that divided the HRE into French and Bohemian branches.
The flag has the Imperial Hoist over the RedandSilver Fleury field from the arms of Fort Bordeux

attachment.php

Flag Challenge 107 - "Arab Independence"

"...the Empire crumbled, the Arab peoples had their independence and set about nationbuilding..."

Your Challenge is to design a flag for an Arab (majority) state. Describe its current government, the extent of its territory, and the Empire it was formerly part of.

Submissions open: 6 February
Submissions close: 13 February (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 14ish February
Voting closes: 21ish January (Midnight GMT)