"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

Heres a flag I made for this timeline for the Republic of China, which became independent earlier in the World War. The dark blue represents strength and bravery, the gold stripe represents brotherhood and unity, the star represents the national government, and the red and white stripes represent the blood spilled for independence and liberty respectively, and the red writing on the stripe is "Republic of China" in Traditional Chinese (Simplified Chinese characters having never been invented IITL).

Flag of China.png

Heres a flag I made for this timeline for the Republic of China, which became independent earlier in the World War. The dark blue represents strength and bravery, the gold stripe represents brotherhood and unity, the star represents the national government, and the red and white stripes represent the blood spilled for independence and liberty respectively, and the red writing on the stripe is "Republic of China" in Traditional Chinese (Simplified Chinese characters having never been invented IITL).
Looks surprisingly Swedo-American.

Sorry, guys, I've been tied up lately.

Edit: Also, the Scottish Influenza in North America. This will not be pretty.

Definitely not. Nightmare on unimaginable scale.

Heres a Buetlist Flag I made.

Awesome work, Zoid! :D Here's a flag of Beutelist Brazil I'm not sure I posted here:

attachment.php

Also good thing Poland kicking ass in most TL Poland or is "killed" fairly quickly or it don't appear at all

Now tha Union is against the non-fascists members of the alliance? Holy Shit ... I TOTALLY EXPECTED THAT ... like really only the fascists are crazy enough to use The Bomb and be happy about it ... and they also continue the massacres ... hope the Alliance see reason and cut the relation with The Union or as it is now the New US

Yep, the famous Polish Expatriates still fight for the Empire in this. :cool: If Prussia was ever to fall to Napoleon VI, you can bet they'd set up a Polish nation.

And yes, NUSA is rapidly alienating its friends and allies. But by this point it doesn't care. All or nothing for Chuckie Oswald, and the rest be damned.

By the way, Napoleon, what did you think of my second chapter?

I liked it! BTW, you don't have to PM your chapters to me for approval; anyone can write anything for this TL, but it's up to me to decide which things are canon. I'm going to start an expanded universe thread soon. :D

Anyways, how long is it before the Russian Bear joins the fray?

Russia doesn't have much reason to yet. They'll continue to let the other nations eat each other alive, and then they'll strike.

Ahhh, and what happened to the heirs of Goodyear and other Robber Barons?

That's a really good question, but I haven't forgotten about them. You'll see more Goodyears very soon. After all, someone has to supply all the medicine and equipment for combating the Plague.

Before you right the chapter, can I PM you some ideas?

Yep! :D

"AN AMERICAN HUMANITY"
12.jpg

It was late in the afternoon of December the 29th, 1957, when Oswald's phone rang. The N.U.S.A. dictator answered, "This is President Oswald."

"Good day, Mister President, this is Kaiser Helmut Wilhelm I of Prussia."

"Good day to you, too, Mr. Hohenzollern," Oswald said, careful not to give into the bourgeoisie urge to address him as "Your Highness." "How do things fare on your continent?"

Helmut Wilhelm's voice got lower and more somber, "Horrible. You know how things are going. The Influenza is spreading. It's getting worse every day. My scientists say it has mutated. As if this world isn't hellish enough already, now God himself is smiting us dead."

"Well, shucks, that's kind of a stinker, isn't it?"

"This isn't a game, Oswald! You thought what was going on in Britain was bad? Well, just wait till you see what's about to happen in mainland Europe. The virus has become more deadly and it spreads more rapidly. We are now receiving word of the first outbreak in the Prussian Congo. I've lost all contact with an outpost near Friedrichburg, just miles from a major port shipping trade goods and war supplies back to Europe. I've heard of cases now in South America. It's spreading far more rapidly than we are prepared for. It's on your doorstep, and it's a matter of days before it's on mine in Prussia."

Oswald was trying to size up the Kaiser's intentions. "What's the purpose of this call? I mean, I know about this. It's a perfect sh**storm of death, but why are you telling me something I already know?"

The Kaiser was silent for a moment. Then, he answered, "Peace. Prussia and the Grand Alliance are going to ask for peace. We can't continue the war while our homefront is being ravaged by the Influenza. I have consulted the other leaders of the Grand Alliance, and we have all agreed this is the best course to take for the survival of our nations. We are going to declare a truce first, and then we will send our ambassadors to meet with the League of Nations in neutral Sardinia."

Oswald grew red with rage, "You backstabbing traitor! America is in this to win it! First you find it your moral duty to condemn our nuking of Louisville, and now you call in to play Prince of Peace to me and tell me my allies are being m*****-f****** cowards and are going to kiss Caesar's ring in Sardinia?! Quitter-talk, m*****-f*****, you speak it!"

The Kaiser grew equally angry, "Shut up, you arrogant freak! The Alliance as a majority has decided on peace. If you want to continue being an atom-slinging barbarian savage, you can continue being as such. But, Gott as my protector, we will not be associated with such a crazed lunatic. The Alliance expected this to happen from the likes of you. As such, we took a vote. We are expelling the United States from the Grand Alliance!"

Oswald threw a chair across the room of his office, narrowly missing a black butler, before picking up the phone again, "You worthless Kraut bastard! You wanna play this way, well you can kiss your trade agreement goodbye forever! No more American petrol, no more American cars, no more American food, no more American weapons, no more American guns, no more American bullets!"

The Kaiser didn't answer. With a loud CLICK! he had hung up on the screaming American President. Oswald went into a seething psychotic rage. He turned to one of his generals, Eustace Joplin. "You, Joplin! We are going to show these bastards that you don't mess with the US! Get me on the line with our Atomic Facility. We're going to win this war by Christmas, dadgum it, with or without any goody-two-shoes European faggots helping us. And get me on the line with Doctor Goldberg, my pet monster. It's time to let him have his fun."

On December 30th, 1957, the concept of the gentleman soldier was destroyed. Beginning on that day, Oswald ordered a genocide of the Inferiors in captured territory on an unimaginable scale. In the Carolinas, thousands of Irish and Catholic citizens were arrested, taken to military forts and installations, and murdered in cold blood. Those who resisted were simply killed where they were found. Doctor Midas Goldberg, the infamous Jewish mad scientist from up north, was put in charge of a NUSA-wide purge on undesirables. As the American army advanced against the final ranks of the Southron armies, they were given orders to kill every single Catholic, Slav, or Hispanic they could find. Tens of thousands were being rounded up and shot in town squares all over Columbia. It was a complete and utter bloodbath the likes of which the world had never seen. As news reached Europe, the Grand Alliance proclaimed a cease-fire with the League of Nations, and then immediately kicked NUSA out of their organization. As diplomats gathered in Sardinia in the January of 1958, Oswald's nation sunk deeper into madness, proclaiming a total embargo of the outside world. No one was going in or out of the New United States from that point on, at least officially. To further slap the international community in the face and to prove he has the same amount of "guts" as the late Uncle Joe, Oswald decided to use up one more of his nuclear weapons. A 25 kiloton atomic bomb detonated over the Brazilian capital of Rio de Janeiro, wiping out the entire city, killing an estimated 3 million people, and doing irreparable harm to the South American ecosystem.

402px-Nagasakibomb.jpg

The "Husky Chap" atomic bomb explodes over Rio, killing three million people

Oswald took to the airwaves to announce to humanity that:

"This nation will not hesitate to further use the Peacemaker Bomb program to bring about the coming peace and fulfillment of our Destiny. As we speak, our boys and gals in blue and tan are marching on Columbia. They are marching on California. They are marching on the bombed-out ruins of Brazil. The Americas were given to our forefathers by Divine Providence, the Grand Architect of the Universe, and this land is good white Christian man's land. It's ours by divine right and by holy destiny. From the purple mountains of the Rockies, to the amber waves of Iowai grain. From the far corners of the Vermont woodlands, to the bustling cities of the Midwest. The only remaining step is to defeat the remaining pockets of resistance before claiming supreme power over this hemisphere. My brothers and sisters, our time is nigh. My brothers and sisters, our time is now. My brothers and sisters, our enemies are laid to waste by the glorious power that the Lord our God has seen fit to bestow upon us in the form of our nuclear arsenal. We are at the precipice of a new dawn for humanity. An American humanity. God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America. All hail!"

American morale soared and Columbian morale sank like a rock in the middle of the ocean. By late January, American troops were whistling Yankee Doodle as they crossed the border into the Republic of Georgia. The last forces the South had available were mustered for the final apocalyptic battle that the fate of the free world depended on. As the American generals eyed Atlanta through their binoculars, the last Southron men still able to fight on dug in, determined to fight to the last man.

On February 15th, 1958, the first shots were fired in Atlanta. On February 16th, the first batch of Union soldiers came down with the Scottish Influenza. By February 25th, it had spread up north all the way to Philadelphia. The Five Months Hell in Atlanta had just begun.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14881

So the Scottish Influenza has spread to America maybe the Columbian nations can be saved?

The NUSA just needs to cease to exist, but at this rate (much like was said earlier) it looks like it will only go down like the USA did in Fallout. I guess at least Europe is at peace. For now anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you, Napoleon. Here's the chapter.​

THE ITALIAN SIDE OF THE WAR
PART TWO: 1956

Spent the night in formation,
To the battle we marched in the dawn...
We were ready to die for our king
On the fields of Breitenfeld
-Sabaton, Gott mit uns

Greek Cyrenaica
Somewhere in a trench

Carlo and Aldo were standing in the trench with their comrades. They had arrived some hours before, after a travel where they had all been pressed like sardines, so they had decided to stretch their legs.

For all of them, it was the first time on a real battlefield. Despite having been there for a few hours, they already missed their homes. Most, like Aldo, missed the warmth of their beds, or the zénaïdes(1) they used to eat on Sunday.

Carlo missed Maria, his wife. The last time he had seen her had been some days before his departure, when she had visited him to "give you a memory that will warm your heart on the battlefield". Indeed, she had succeeded: they had made love in the Academy's garage, silently for fear of being heard, and it had been magnificent. If he concentrated, he could still feel the sensations: her smooth legs on his hairy ones, her soft, huge breasts in his hands...

...Suddenly, he smelt something rotten. He opened his eyes to see Aldo grinning like a spiteful child.

"Too many beans for breakfast" he said. Then he gave out a strange noise from his rear ranks and a worse smell invaded the trench.

"JUDAS BLOOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!"

"AARGHH, MY NOSTRILS ARE BURNING!!!"

"WHAT THE FUCK, LONGHI! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US ALL?”

"Yeah, I'm working for the Greeks!"

They all started laughing like madmen. After some minutes, a sergeant appeared.

"All right, lads! Stop playing with your dicks and get ready! The Colonel is coming for an inspection!"

After they had readied themselves, the soldiers saw Colonel D’Annunzio walking toward them with a mug of coffee in his hand. He looked eerie as usual. He first inspectioned their gears, and then started a speech.

"Soldiers! As you all know, I'm a man of a few words..."

Carlo shuddered: when the Colonel said something like that, he usually made them want to be deaf.

In fact, he started to talk for an endless time about how they had to defend the country against the barbarian hordes, ending with:

"...we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"(2)

He paused, and then he started to talk again, but was soon interrupted by an alarm and a voice from a loud-speaker:

"ATTENTION, EVERYONE. ENEMY TROOPS ARE APPROACHING OUR POSITIONS. ARRIVAL ESTIMATED IN FIFTEEN MINUTES".

The Colonel smiled.

"Good. Prepare yourselves, men! Looks like today we'll meet Madama Morte(3) earlier than we expected!"

Without letting themselves be seen, all the soldiers made the sign of the horns.(4)​

***​

Every human being has an Achilles' heel. In the case of Admiral DeCurtis, it was that typical of any man: women.

After his wife's death in 1947, the Admiral had tried to suppress his pain jumping from one bed to another. The Greek Secret Services had come to know this and, in the last days of 1955, they infiltrated a spy in Taranto.

This spy, a girl named Lydia, bore a strong resemblance to the Admiral's late wife. Little by little, she was able to seduce him and to earn his trust. Unfortunately, the Admiral didn't know that she was slowly poisoning his food: this poison, originally developed in the Republican Union, was designed to strike the cardiovascular system of the victim. Thanks also to DeCurtis's age, this was fatal: one night, while Lydia was riding him, his heart exploded. She then disappeared rapidly, leaving the Ionian Fleet Headquarters in chaos.

Unfortunately for the Greeks, the new commander, Vice-Admiral Alfonso Capone, was a close friend of DeCurtis, and he had learned everything from him. He was able to keep the Greeks at bay for months, using a combination of naval tactics and psychological warfare. In June, he had the idea to sign a treaty with Egypt, whose volunteer legions helped to conquer Greek Cyrenaica.

Thanks also to the amount of Cyrenaican oil, the Italian forces were finally able to go on the offensive: they first took Corfu at the beginning of July, declaring it an Italian territory. Then, the "Hammer and anvil" manoeuvre begun: Greece was attacked from two sides, with the Italian Army taking care of North-West and the Navy and Aeroforce aiming for Southern Greece.

These battles were described by later historians as "the bloodiest things ever seen in the Mediterrean since the days of Rome". The Greeks fought well, but they were soon overrun. Many wanted to continue the fight, but they experienced a sudden change of mind when the Italian airship Garibaldi destroyed the Parthenon. With its national symbol gone, and with Italian troops swarming from everywhere, Greece had only one option: unconditional surrender.

With a problem solved, Emperor Massimiliano turned his attention to Bulgaria. Unfortunately, his efforts were partially distracted by a new trouble in Sicily.

On November 21st Don Vito Corleone, head of the powerful Corleone Family, marched on Palermo. Helped by his men and by a group of foreign mercenaries known as the "Leonidas Brigade", he killed the governor of the island and declared the birth of the "New Kingdom of Sicily" under Leopold, last member of the House of Bourbon. Unfortunately (for Don Vito), most Sicilians didn't agree with him and soon, the picciotti(5) were clashing with loyalist forces all over Sicily, painting the streets with blood.

Emperor Massimiliano almost had a seizure upon hearing these news. However, he didn't waste his time and soon called one of his most trusted men: General Costanzo Ciano(6). Unlike many of his fellow officers, General Ciano knew what a war was: he had been in Africa as a private, where he had given the rebel natives a run for their money. Later, he had led a voluntary unit in the Missionary War and the Reservation War. He was put in charge of the Sicilian Front, but the situation soon evolved into a stalemate: the Italian forces were deployed on too many fronts and the enemies weren't going to give up easily.

With over 700.000 soldiers and civilians dead, 1956 will be forever remembered in Italy as "l'anno d'inferno"(7). At the end of the year, the only good news came from Africa, where the Italian Colonial Troops gained significant victories against their enemies (For example in December, after some months of siege, the troops on the Senegalese border were finally able to wipe out an American invasion force led by General Anthony "Iron Man" Stark(8).​

NOTES:

(1):ITTL the pizza with mozzarella and tomato sauce has been named after Queen Zénaïde of the Two Sicilies.

(2):With many apologies to Franklin Roosevelt, may he rest in peace.

(3):Madam Death. Why is the Colonel so eager to meet her? Simple: he's a bloodthirsty warmonger.

(4):According to a popular superstition, this sign, made extending the index finger and the little finger, helps to keep the bad luck away.

(5):The picciotti are the youngest and lowest-ranking members of the Mafia hierarchy. By the way, ITTL the Mafia was born from pro-Bourbon underground movements.

(6):IOTL Costanzo Ciano was an Italian admiral and politician. His son Galeazzo was Mussolini's son-in-law.

(7):Year of hell.

(8):Anthony Stark was born in Shicagwa in 1901. Scion of a rich and powerful family, he served in Mexico, Korea and the Pacific Islands. In 1949 he was involved in a scandal because of his "unnatural activities". However, thanks to his family's connections, he was able to avoid the reeducation camp and was instead sent to Liberia. He received the nickname "Iron Man" from one of his lovers.​

I wonder what the Prussians are going to demand to the League? They already have the Rheinbund (did I spell that right?) under occupation. A united German Reich, perhaps?

Also, cheers for Kaiser Helmut Wilhelm for kicking NUSA out of the Alliance.

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'
I think Oswald's personal motto should be I would see the world burn, so that I could be ruler of the ashes.

Though props to Kaiser Helmut for actually ending an apocalyptic war when there's nothing left to gain, thus proving himself morally superior to OTL Europeans. :p

MARCHING THROUGH GEORGIA
"And when he gets to Heaven,
to Patriot-Saint Gabriel he will tell,
one more trooper reporting, sir,
I've served my time in Hell."
battle-stalingrad-ww2-second-world-war-illustrated-history-pictures-photos-pictures.jpg

An unidentified soldier (likely a Georgian wearing a Prussian-style Carolinian helmet) looks at the ruins of Atlanta, circa March, 1958

It was not long into the fighting that Atlanta ceased to exist. By mid-March, intense bombing campaigns and artillery strikes had turned the city into a smoking crater. Any civilians that once lived there that were still alive had long since fled into the hills, far away from the Megiddo unfolding in their former parks, backyards, and stadiums. The Scottish Flu was hitting hard, spreading among the troops with an unbelievable ferocity and strength. But none of this mattered to the generals and leaders. Atlanta wasn't a city to them, it was an arena to finally see who would beat who in a straight-up, no-holds-barred, knock-down, drag-out, monstrously-bloody shootout. The Southrons didn't expect to win in the slightest, really, though. Instead, it was considered more honorable fighting for liberty against America than to go on and live under the star-spangled Oswaldian jackboot of occupation and tyranny.

images

Georgian infantry capture the pilot of an American landship

images

American troops pin down the French defenders of the Imperial Embassy in Atlanta

1931italian.jpg

Georgian infantry take cover on the streets of Atlanta

The rapid troop movements spread the Flu all across Columbia. Atlanta became the epicenter for the disease. By late March, 1958, 150,000 soldiers on both sides had died of the disease alone, with a further 800,000 killed or wounded in combat. Simple buildings became battlefields. The barbershop. The malt shop. The general store. The high-rise apartment building (or the husk of one). It was kill or be killed in the fires of hatred, occult fanaticism, and desperation. Chemical weapons were used every day by both sides. Landships steamrolled through the streets over the thousands of bodies. One Georgian officer simply put it, "We are doomed. If this is what humanity has moved toward all these thousands of years, God should come right now and wipe us all out. He should put humanity down like the dying dog it has become."

By April, the Georgian government had mostly been captured or killed by ORRA assassins or NUSA airstrikes. With virtually every Southron government official incapacitated, Virginian supreme dictator George Washington VIII declared Columbia-wide powers and took full command of every CEMA soldier on the continent. As the weeks dragged on, though, he began to run low on everything needed to keep the war running. It had finally reached the point where there were no remaining men to draft. There were no newly-raised volunteer militias. There were no more landships, planes, or aeroships. It was coming to an end. In late June, 1958, Washington finally left the continent and arrived in Cuba. There, in the waning days of the World War, he watched Columbia die. On the night of July 12th, the "Fighting Fives" 5th Canadian Volunteer Legion watched as several hundred of the remaining defenders surrendered. The 5th's band played Yankee Doodle on the fife and drums as the ranks of Southrons dropped their weapons and surrendered their regimental flags under the light of the fires of a thousand burning buildings. Witnesses testified that NUSA and Southron troops alike wept bitterly as they realized all they had lost in the siege. But it was over. For all basic pretenses, mainland Columbia as a whole was completely defeated.

iwo-jima-01-getty-3230822.jpg

Members of the 5th Canadian Volunteer Legion plant the NUSA flag on a hill deep in the heart of Atlanta

As the remaining Columbian patriots fled to the Caribbean, Oswald seemed content to let them go. The Caribbean could wait until later. Currently, he had to deal with the largest occupation ever seen and a major epidemic. In California, there was still fighting, but it had slowed down. It, too, could wait until later. If he wasn't careful, Oswald knew he would over-stretch his resources.

Declaring victory, Oswald wanted to put on a show and parade in Philadelphia, but was unable to due to a massive outbreak of the Flu there. This infuriated him, as it disabled him from resting on his laurels in triumph. So that was when he turned once again to one of the most twisted minds in American history, Midas Goldberg, and to Goodyear Enterprises, for a cure for the Scottish Flu...

And here's a preview of the next chapter. Yep, the Union is going to use the Flu as a "gift from God" to outlive the "Inferiors." Obtain a vaccine, but give it only to the wealthy or the "Fittest." Then, spread the disease as much as possible. The lower classes and the citizens of the occupied regions of NUSA can't rise up when they're dead. :eek: So basically, they're gonna literally let God sort 'em out.

And there will be a chapter about the Sardinia Accords which officially end the war in the rest of the world shortly, after Zoid posts a couple guest chapters about Japan and India. I could go ahead and do it now, but it'll be more fun knowing about all the little stuff going on and thus enable me to come up with the most realistic treaty (there will be a LOT of territory changing hands).

"A CURE FOR THE BETTERS OF SOCIETY"
97845.jpg

1958 portrait of Charles Goodyear III, owner and CEO of Colonel Goodyear Vaccines

Last edited:
Oh, just destroy the world. Hope has completely died.

Hope is lost in the Americas. But on the bright side Europe is still somewhat better, the Prussians aren't as insane as the Alt. Americans.

Also, the man in the picture looks like he's looking AT you. Its fucking creepy

Napo you somehow managed to make this Earth worthy of being on the 40k universe, well done

also gonna make a chapter about the Union campaign in the Caribbean and Peru after they use the NUS use the Flu in the continent after all you don't want possible enemies in your own continent

Hi, guys. This is the penultimate chapter of my contribution. The last chapter will be about the future of my characters.

THE ITALIAN SIDE OF THE WAR
PART THREE: 1957

Fast as the wind, the invasion has begun
Shaking the ground with the force of thousand guns
First into line of fire, first into hostile land
Tanks leading the way, leading the way
-Sabaton, Ghost Division​

***​

Bulgarian-controlled Serbia
Somewhere in the countryside

Carlo swore as he swatted a bug on his shoulder. Since he and his unit had entered the woods, they had been tormented by bugs of various types. It almost looked like a jungle! He was hungry, tired and angry at everybody he could think of: the Bulgarians, the Americans, Colonel D'Annunzio. He was really beginning to hate the War: it had even ruined the joy for the letter arrived from Naples the previous week!

He took a look at Aldo, who was in no better mood than him.

"You know Carlo, I have a strange feeling".

"What do you mean?".

"I don't know, it's...it's like when you know that something bad is going to happen, but you don't know what it is".

"Please Aldo, don't be a iettatore (1). I don't know if you have noticed, but we are already low on morale!".

"Hey you two, stop talking, or you'll alert the enemy about our positions!" said a sergeant.

Carlo and Aldo shut their mouths. Some minutes later, they arrived at the end of the woods. Then, Colonel D'Annunzio started to talk:

"All right soldiers, we're arrived. According to what General Broz's resistance movement has told us, the outpost we're going to attack is the seat of this part of Serbia's Bulgarian occupation force. The plan is simple: we jump on them and we kick their asses until they beg us to stop. And remember our unit's motto "Only death will stop us"!.

The soldiers were surprised: they were used to the Colonel's long speeches, and didn't expect him to use less than 100 words. However, they didn't waste their time, and soon readied their rifles, while the Colonel ordered the attack.

"FOR THE EMPEROR!".

They went out of the woods running like demons. The Bulgarians were so caught by surprise that they barely had time to fire back. In less than half an hour, they were overrun, and the commander of the outpost was personally killed by D'Annunzio.

The Colonel stood smiling proudly.

"Good, men. We've done our job. Now, we just have to wait for Broz to arrive and...". The Colonel wasn't able to finish his speech as he was silenced forever by a bullet to the throat. Soon, other shots came from who knows where.

"SNIPERS! TAKE COVER, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!" barked a sergeant.

The soldiers ducked for cover. Some of them weren't lucky, as they were hit by the hidden snipers. One of these poor souls was Carlo. He was hit to the back of his head, and fell to the ground as Aldo tried to help him.

"Shit, Carlo, don't do this. Don't die here, man. Please don't die..."

***​

An old Italian motto says "If Rome cries, Carthage doesn't laugh either".

The first months of 1957 could be considered an embodiment of these words: Bulgaria was losing battle after battle in Serbia against the Italians, and the arrival of von Branau's Bastards worsened things.

Italy, on the other hand, wasn't doing much better in Sicily: the loyalist forces led by General Ciano had barely been able to eliminate the pro-Bourbon groups in most of the island, leaving only the provinces of Palermo, Trapani and Catania in the hands of Don Vito Corleone. Meanwhile, the mercenaries of the Leonidas Brigade were doing their best to leave a mark in the history of bloodbaths. Pershaps, their most infamous action was the "Rape of Bagheria", where they butchered the whole town when it dared to rebel against them. It was something so terrific that it would have made even the Americans envious, with men and childred impaled and women raped in front of them. However, they had some troubles of their own: ever since the end of 1956, Don Vito and the Brigade had had to face a mysterious band of partisans simply known as "Legio Mortis" (2). Similarly to the American Bad Luck Brigade, this band left on its victims a card with a black skull on a white field, and played an important role in terrorizing the Mafia. However, this didn't stop the fightings, and as April ended and Bulgaria exited the War, it looked as if Italy would have to leave the Balkans to concentrate on Sicily.

Then, on May 1st, a miracle happened. A force of 50,000 men landed in Palermo. It was an Egyptian voluntary force, the Anubis Legion, led by Captain Isma'il Ar-Rahman.

The arrival of the Legion proved to be decisive: on May 18th, after days of bloody fightings, Don Vito and his men were killed. The same happened to the Leonidas Brigade. Leopold of Bourbon was nowhere to be found: somehow, he had managed to flee to Sardinia, and from there to Russia, where he died childless in 1998.

With this done, Italy was finally able to help von Branau to defend his holdings from the Prussians, and to wipe out the last Greek nuisances in June.

Then, on September 19th, another miracle happened. In Naples, the blood of Saint Gennaro, after having stayed solid since 1955, finally melted (3). Many people took this as an omen. Indeed, in a strange way, it was: after the miracle, the Scottish Influenza started to spread everywhere. To secure their survival, at the end of the year the European members of the Grand Alliance declared a cease-fire with the League of Nations, and soon sent ambassadors to neutral Sardinia to negotiate peace. Meanwhile, in Italy, people started to celebrate the cease-fire. Sure, the War was still going on America, and the Scottish Influenza wasn't a joke, as it killed people every day. The Italians on the mainland couldn't care less. Their side of the War was over.

NOTES:

(1): According to another popular superstition, the iettatore is a person who attracts bad luck, willingly or not. You Anglo-Saxons would say "Evil-eyed man" or "Bird of ill omen".

(2): Death Legion.

(3): Saint Gennaro is the patron saint of Naples. His blood, kept in a church, is usually solid, but it melts once every year, on September 19th.