"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

Tprynn

Banned
I'm surprised this time doesn't have a TV Tropes page. Then again, there's only so many ways you can describe the grimness and barbarity of the RU without becoming it becoming soul crushingly depressing.

And while I might not be the most ardent Irish patriot, the Killorglan disaster defiantly made me wince

You're right! This TL does need a TVTropes page. :D We need to look into that sometime...

I don't know how to feel about Prussians in Frankfurt. I can't remember if Prussia is manically genocidal or not.

I don't recall anything about Prussia being genocidal.

Nope, they're a halfway decent place at the moment. There is the fascist, all-female Prussian Blackshirt Legion, however.

Nice sneak preview of the Europe update. Shits really hit the fan now what with Biochemical weapons being unleashed over the Irish countryside and beyond. :eek: Not to mention, the Scottish Flew, which I assume is an analog of the Spanish Flew. Lastly, I can't wait to hear about the Third English Civil War. Please tell me we'll be Beutelist English Republic. :D:cool:

Also, just thought I should tell people that I'm compiling this in Finished Timelines and Scenarios, with Napoleon's permission of course. :) I'm already up the eaerly 1830's.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=301192

I believe your spellcheck means "flu." :p;) And yes, it's an analogue of the Spanish one from WWI OTL.

Wow, amazing work with the compilation. :eek: Most excellent. Keep it up!

Wales, rise up in rebellion! :D

They are indeed achieving independence right at the same time as this stuff is going on, as shown in my previous Wales chapter. However, with the incoming, Wales-supporting Imperial troops, chances are high of the Scottish Flu spreading to mainland Europe. :eek:

Also is Chuckie Oswald going to order development of an Scud or V-2 missile?

They probably have had prototypes since the 1940s. I imagine Oswald will come across some valuable rocketry experts OTL Paperclip-style in his conquest of other nations...

BLOODBATH IN EUROPE
article-2226078-054D4D220000044D-474_638x459.jpg

Prussian Imperial troops march through Frankfurt, capital of the Confederation of the Rhine

DISASTER AND ANARCHY IN THE BRITISH ISLES:

In early 1956, English and Scottish forces began to make headway into Ireland. King Dominic's men were finally starting to lose hope on victory and were getting closer and closer to being pushed into the Atlantic. However, an apocalyptic event was about to occur which would all but stop the fighting in Ireland. Ireland's gigantic biological and chemical weapons facility in Killorglan was accidentally bombed by the English Aeroforce. This was a mistake of unprecedented magnitude. A anthrax-type weapon escaped, spreading rapidly among civilians and soldiers alike. It covered the countryside in days, killing thousands and sending the opposing armies into panic. Along with the anthrax, several other weapons were unwittingly released, including a cloud of mustard gas over five miles wide which blanketed Killarney and killed half of its citizens. Civilization broke down as people murdered each other over gas masks and canned food.

But the worst was yet to come. A fairly obscure 19th century illness was apparently making a comeback. Known simply as the "Scottish Influenza," the disease caused 500 Scottish soldiers in Glasgow to become deathly sick. In weeks, it was ravaging the British Isles. Wagons roamed the streets of every town to collect the bodies of the plague's victims. Ireland, already on the verge of breaking down into total lawlessness, was at last pushed over the edge. Dominic fled by boat to Normandy, and Churchill halted the invasion. A week later, on July 2nd, while the Battle of Gettysburg was raging in America, Churchill himself came down with the illness. Over the next several months, he battled the illness while still trying to control the war effort, but on November 5th, 1956, just days after the passing of Joseph Steele, Winston Churchill passed away in Oxford at the age of 82. As his followers and opponents began to turn violent in their attempts to take his place, the Third English Civil War was about to begin.

FALL OF THE RHEINBUND:
220px-War_Office_Second_World_War_Official_Collection_H28513.jpg

Only known photo of "Prussian Polly"

In the first three-quarters of 1956, the Confederation of the Rhine was still seemingly invincible to Prussian advances. Sweden was now trying to hold onto captured Denmark and could not help Kaiser Helmut Wilhelm I very much. But finally, in October, the Rheinbund's army was finally on the breaking point. The Prussian Army received orders for a general advance. Kaiser Karl II fled Frankfurt to Paris with his family and government ministers to manage the government-in-exile. In Berlin, celebrations erupted as the Kaiser proclaimed from the balcony of his palace, "Germania is on the path to being united for the first time in its history! Now, onto Austria and Holland!"

"Prussian Polly," a voluptuous-voiced, anonymous, radio girl from Berlin, started broadcasting around this time. She delivered messages of hopelessness to Napoleon's men who were still trying to retake the Confederation. As the 23 year-old Kronprinz Helmut Wilhelm von Hohenzollern-Wettin, sof the Prussian Kaiser, proved himself to be a military genius and routed several of Napoleon's finest regiments (some of which had never seen defeat since the Rise of Napoleon I in the late 1700s), the men began to believe the radio girl. As 1957 dawned, the Tripartite Imperial Army was a weeping mess, barely able to march back onto French soil. Over the past two years, over 6 million Bonapartist soldiers had been killed, wounded, or captured trying to keep the Rheinbund out of Prussian hands. Now, as Kronprinz Helmut Wilhelm marched his troops through Frankfurt in a massive victory parade, the sacrifice seemed to be in vain.

righitwilberg.jpg

Kronprinz Helmut Wilhelm von Hohenzollern-Wettin

THE BALKANS:

Bulgarian troops fire mortars at Serbian forces, circa August, 1956

Going into mid-1956, Serbia had held its own. The late Josef Kovac's nephew and successor, Supreme Chancellor Anton Kovac, was fairly good at fighting off the massive attacks on his country. However, like the Confederation of the Rhine, Serbia was about to fall to Grand Alliance forces. Tsarina Ivanka's Bulgarian Imperial Army and troops from her ally Romania marched on Serbia in October, taking it out of the war. The Romanian had to turn to face the attacking Hungarians and Austrians from the north, but the Tsarina swiftly announced total annexation of Serbia into the Bulgarian Empire.

Meanwhile, the Kingdom of the Two Italies were engaged in heavy fighting against fascist Greece. In June of 1956, the Italians signed a treaty with the Egyptian Empire, which secretly began supporting Italian efforts in Africa. Arab volunteer legions participated in the taking of Greek Cyrenaica. A new wealth of Cyrenaican oil was sent back to mainland Italy. Fueling its war machine on this, the Italian Army and Navy attacked Greece itself. Huge naval battles raged for months, with hundreds of ships lost. Finally, in November, the Greeks could continue no longer, and as Italian marines landed on Crete and the Peloponnese Peninsula, and as the Italian Royal Aeroforce strafed Athens, the Greek government surrendered unconditionally. King Massimiliano IV proclaimed that Italy would soon liberate Serbia. Instead, a brutal front opened up along the Greco-Bulgarian border. Massimiliano threw everything he could at Ivanka, and as 1957 approached, it didn't appear that Italian troops would be marching on Sofia any time soon.

800px-Bulgarian_soldiers_with_wire_cutters_WWI_%28contrasted%29.jpg

Bulgarian troops prepare to ambush Italian soldiers in southern Serbia, circa Christmas, 1956

All the while, the man single-handedly keeping Austria-Hungary and the surrounding Tripartite regions from falling to Prussia, Bulgaria, and Romania was the no-nonsense Austrian Field Marshal Adolf von Branau. While not exceptionally brilliant as a general, his men would have followed him through Hell. Many said that von Branau was holding Austria-Hungary from falling to occupation through sheer force of his iron will. He was determined to fight to the last man for God, Caesar, and Empire. As the Romanian Army made desperate attempts to achieve breakthroughs on the border, the Austro-Hungarian forces fought them off again and again. At last, Romania seemed to give up. Now it became a defensive war. Unless Prussian Kronprinz and Field Marshal Helmut Wilhelm could attack Austria from the north, Romania feared von Branau would come and occupy them. Von Branau and his generals had a new offensive planned for 1957. He was going to bet everything on it. Von Branau said to Napoleon VI January 1st, 1957, "If my plans work out, we may well just win this war after all."​

Deleted member 14881

Does the Tripartite Empire have any chemical or biological weapons program if they cannot beat Prussia they could just poison Europe forever.

Jesus, six million. It looks like the League is really on the ropes now, what with the NUSA atomic weapons, the fall of the Rheinbund and the deaths of tens of millions of soldiers and civilians. I also doubt this Adolf von Branau's (which, for some reason, feels like a good-guy version of Hitler) plan, unless the Tripartite has their own secret wunderwaffen that they could unleash.

Jesus, six million. It looks like the League is really on the ropes now, what with the NUSA atomic weapons, the fall of the Rheinbund and the deaths of tens of millions of soldiers and civilians. I also doubt this Adolf von Branau's (which, for some reason, feels like a good-guy version of Hitler) plan, unless the Tripartite has their own secret wunderwaffen that they could unleash.

Seriously doubt it, I think the Tripartite will fall, the only thing I really care is about the Union other Fascists defeats, Prussian And Sweden seems to be of the honorable type

Cool update. Its looks like the Empire is screwed on the Western Front, while it seems to be doing great on the Eastern Front with Adolf von Branau holding back the Romanians and Bulgarians. I still have hope that the Empire can win the war, or at least end up in one peace when the war is over. This war may end up ending in a sort of stalemate. Also, its nice to see Fascist Greece fall to Italy, and I hope Serbia will be liberated.

So is Adolf von Branau an alternate version of Hitler? On a similar note, his tough as nails and fight to the finish attitude reminds me a lot of Patton in that regard.

Also, whats going on in the war in Africa?

Does the Tripartite Empire have any chemical or biological weapons program if they cannot beat Prussia they could just poison Europe forever.

Caesar isn't that bad, at least not now. Even if they lose, they'll insist that "France shall rise again, just as always," so they're not going to try to screw everything for everybody yet.

So is Adolf von Branau an alternate version of Hitler? On a similar note, his tough as nails and fight to the finish attitude reminds me a lot of Patton in that regard.

Also, whats going on in the war in Africa?

Yep, it's good old Ady in the flesh. And yes, he's a Patton-type. :D

North Africa I've pretty much already covered. Why don't you send me some ideas for southern Africa? I can write the chapter, but I could use some creative ideas. ;)

ADOLF'S INGLORIOUS BASTARDS:
VON BRANAU STORMS THE BALKANS

attachment.php

Count Adolf von Branau in a photo from 1950

On February 5th, 1957, Austro-Hungarian Field Marshal Adolf von Branau launched his major offensive against Romania. His ragtag bunch of soldiers, many from Poland and Bohemia, had survived the repeated Grand Alliance incursions onto Austro-Hungarian soil, making them hardened killing machines. Romania's war machine was finally giving way and trying to scramble back to their own country to defend it. The February Offensive was an absolute slaughter. Instead of using fancy or elaborate planning or maneuvering, von Branau stated, "I have one objective: to kill Romanians." As the Romanian armed forces retreated and deserted the battlefields, Hungarian horsemen and Polish lancers, in one of the last effective use of horses on the modern battlefield, scythed them down with swords, lances, and small arms fire. Romania was shattered, and von Branau's "Inglorious Bastards," as the Tripartite Imperial media was affectionately calling them, became legends. Napoleon VI elevated von Branau to the position of Grand Marshal, something previously never awarded to a non-Frenchman. In his acceptance speech (in which he was awarded his gilded baton and medallion) later that year, he famously said, "It is not the Imperial soldier's duty to die for his country. It's his duty to make the poor damn fool on the other side of the battlefield die for his!"

Next, the Bastards maneuvered south, joining in an attack on Bulgarian-controlled Serbia with the Italian army coming up from Greece. Attacked from north and south, the Bulgarian army was routed. Over the next month, von Branau and the Italians won one victory after another. The Bulgarian Tsarina, Ivanka, was dying of stomach cancer at the time, and with over 8,00,000 Bulgarian soldiers killed, captured, or wounded since 1955, she begged for a peace treaty. On April 25th, 1957, Bulgaria exited the Grand Alliance, the war, and declared its neutrality. The Tsarina died on April 28th.

Bulgaria's problems were far from over, however. General Mladen Marinov saw the monarch's death as his chance for power. On April 29th, he led his soldiers into the Imperial Palace in Sofia and forced the Imperial Family to abdicate. He took it upon himself to publicly proclaim himself "Chief Citizen and Generalissimo of the Bulgars." He received support from the Prussian kaiser, whom many in Paris had accused of orchestrating the coup. This greatly angered Napoleon, who ordered von Branau to "take out Marinov." When Marinov learned of the impending attack, he said, "I am aghast at this violation of our sovereignty and neutrality! I have gathered my infantrymen, my cavalry, and my landships, and the Bulgars stand firmly behind me, their rightful ruler. This will be the mother of all battles!"

peronyelpinto.jpg

Bulgarian Generalissimo Mladen Marinov

Resize+of+MarchBGArmy

The Bulgarian Army salutes Marinov in a march past the old Imperial Palace

On June 23rd, 1957, the Polish Aerobrigade were dropped over Sofia by several of Caesar's most heavily-armored attack aeroships. The paratroopers landed atop the Imperial Palace. Surrounded on all sides by Bulgarian soldiers, the 248 Poles fought to the death through the massive complex, taking out hundreds in a brutal rolling firefight. Finally, with no place left to go, they held up in the courtyard of the palace. For the next ten days, the battle raged, and the event was later turned into the famous film Ten Inglorious Days in Sofia. In the end, the Poles were killed to the last man, but their attack firmly destabilized the Bulgarian government. Marinov was assassinated by a sniper a week later while attempting to flee to Prussia. With the Bulgarian Imperial Family too terrified to return and with no solid leader to unite behind (not to mention a growing outbreak of Scottish Influenza), Bulgaria collapsed into anarchy and chaos. Russia, claiming it could not allow such an "unruly and calamitous anarchy" on its borders, invaded Bulgaria in October and, after a small amount of fighting, annexed it.

158896668.jpg

Russian Republican troops participate in the "Liberation of the Bulgars" during the Russo-Bulgarian War of 1957

Following the defeat of Romania and Bulgaria and the Liberation of Serbia, von Branau settled in to defend his captured holdings from the Prussians in the north. Serbia, wracked with internal problems and instability, was absorbed into the Tripartite Empire, becoming the Kingdom of the Serbs, with Napoleon VI as monarch. Italy held onto Greece and finally drove the last Greek loyalists out of Cyprus in June. Before von Branau's offensive, the Tripartite Empire was on the ropes, surrounded on all sides by enemies and with Prussia occupying the Rheinbund and making headway against Holland. Now, with the League of Nations' gains in the Balkans, the stalemate had returned. Thanks to Count Adolf von Branau, the Tripartite Empire was quite possibly spared a Grand Alliance occupation.

Last edited:
AMERICA ASCENDANT
gasmask_m1_700.jpg

American troops on the advance in southern Virginia, 1957

Chuck Oswald was "extremely enthused" about the way the war was heading, according to an interview Jurgen Ailes did with the press on April 1st, 1957. Despite the Grand Alliance defeats in Europe, Ailes claimed Oswald cared little about it, for "the Prussian Kaiser has proved himself an unreliable and fair-weather friend of America, as shown in his reaction to the Nuking of Louisville." Virginia's government had evacuated to Cuba as the army tried to hold onto whatever scraps of territory they could in what was left of southern Virginia. Maryland was gone, firmly in Yankee hands. Kaintuck was in the same situation. Now, too, Virginia was about to fall to Yankee occupation.

9180388628_deb7550200_o.png

Virginian propaganda poster from early 1957

As thousands of Yankee troops fought like demented radicals every step of the way, sure that their faith in God, President, and the Peacemaker Bombs made victory inevitable, total defeat seemed inevitable to the Southron nations. On June 2nd, 1957, President Oswald himself landed in Richmond to plot an invasion of the Confederation of the Carolinas. Oswald said in a press briefing, "We are making excellent progress. We have Maryland and the Kaintuck Territory, Bonapartist California is on the ropes, and now we are preparing to take the Confederation. Smashing success all around, and we are greatly indebted to our loyal servicemen and servicewomen for fighting so hard to achieve this fulfillment of our Manifest Destiny. This war isn't over, but its conclusion is a foregone affair: The New United States of America will stretch from the North Pole to the tip of South America, a bastion of freedom, godliness, and purity."

On June 20th, the invasion of West and North Carolina began. The Confederation of the Carolinas, already low on troops thanks to losing so many supporting its allies earlier in the war, had extremely low morale going into its defensive operations. Greensboro and Raleigh, or what was left of them following intense Union artillery fire and bombing runs, fell on July 4th, 1957. After that, it was a rout more than a war. ORRA troops, including the infamous Bad Luck Brigade, burned down and slaughtered whole cities. Women's Action Corps leader General Charlotte Baker led her fighting girls in one attack on Fayetteville that ended with over 30,000 military and civilian "Cokie" casualties. The factory long famous for manufacturing Cokie-Cola, a popular soft drink world-wide, fell to Baker's forces on July 29th. Baker turned it into her regional headquarters. Despite rumors of having an affair with Oswald's highly-secretive wife, Sandra Walther, Baker was given medal after medal by Oswald personally when he flew down by jet to Fayetteville, which, due to its "French-sounding name," became Bakersburg.

Sandra-Dee-1950s-395x500.jpg

First Lady Sandra Walther Oswald, who allegedly secretly hated her husband Charles

p61.jpg

WAC troops await the arrival of President Oswald in "Bakersburg," outside the Cokie-Cola factory. Many sources said most of the members of WAC "had a schoolgirl crush on Oswald."

11810329633_01f77ceec6.jpg

Oswald on the runway after landing at "Bakersburg"

In the end, in a shocking move, Oswald named Charlotte Baker Consul of the Carolinas, a title making her occupational governor of three states (South Carolina had not fallen as yet, but was expected to). This has sometimes been used as evidence for the theory that Sandra Oswald and Charlotte Baker were lovers and that Sandra pulled strings for her. Oswald seemed indifferent to whole thing, probably because he was almost openly carrying on an affair with film star Mary-Jane Mundy. Politics, corruption, and sapphic affairs or not, the Oswalds' personal lives were wrecks, partly because of Chuckie's abuse of prescription medication, cocaine lozenges, and amphetamines, and one of the main reasons for Chuckie's persistent presence at the frontlines might have been the fact that his wife hated him. Another fact he did well to conceal was that every time he visited the WAC troops, the pregnancy rate skyrocketed.

All soap opera-ready material aside, Oswald was indeed maintaining a constant presence on the Columbian Front. Everywhere he was rumored to be at saw the average Southron soldier's morale plummet faster than if he had heard his hometown had been nuked. The "Beast of America" had other nicknames among Southron troops, too, such as "Satan," "Demon Oz," and the extremely original "Chucker-F*****." As South Carolina was on its last knees in early September, 1957, Oswald said to Jurgen Ailes, "These hillbilly Cokies think I'm meaner than Lucifer. Let's not disappoint them. Burn Myrtle Beach to the ground. Kill everyone you find." Myrtle Beach was promptly torched and most of its inhabitants murdered in one of the ghastliest deliberate genocides of the war. Over 20,000 men, women, and children were slaughtered on direct orders from the American President. On October 29th, 1957, South Carolina's capital of Columbia fell. On October 31st, Charleston fell.

atlantic-beach-1950s-04.jpg

86165.jpg

1967+Detroit+Riot+(10).jpg

Fires rage during the Genocide of Myrtle Beach

2013-08-30-detroit-leendo-sorsunk-kepekben7.jpg

Yankee troops take cover in downtown Rock Hill, South Carolina

detriots67-15_11.jpg

Bad Luck Brigade troopers on the move near Columbia, South Carolina

Now, with only Georgia and California left (not including Russian Alyaska), Oswald's New United States were ready to win the war and become the only independent nation in North America, and one of three in all of North and South America.

And then the Scottish Influenza hit...

Doesn't seem like it will be to much longer before all of the Black Sea coast line is Russian.

Edit: Also, the Scottish Influenza in North America. This will not be pretty.

Last edited:
Well Hitler is now Patton, frankly considering its OTL counterpart I'm not surprised even in OTL Hitler used Refuge in Audacity as an strategy

Also good thing Poland kicking ass in most TL Poland or is "killed" fairly quickly or it don't appear at all

Now tha Union is against the non-fascists members of the alliance? Holy Shit ... I TOTALLY EXPECTED THAT ... like really only the fascists are crazy enough to use The Bomb and be happy about it ... and they also continue the massacres ... hope the Alliance see reason and cut the relation with The Union or as it is now the New US

Funny, Hitler fighting AGAINST fascists. So the NUSA's on the brink of conquering all of the Americas, not surprising to say the least, they already have the Bomb for God's sakes.

Anyways, how long is it before the Russian Bear joins the fray?

I recognized that man on the horse the moment I saw him. Which surprised me, really. Peron's face is more memorable than I would have imagined. Whatever happened to him, by the way? He still went to Italy to learn how to ski?

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'
Well, even if the NUSA is burned to ashes to never rise again, the Columbian nations have been so scarred and violated I doubt they'll be able to go back to the way they were before the war. They'd probably go mad and go on a roaring rampage of revenge the same way the RU did after the British invaded.

And I think that the Virginian propaganda poster is the only time the propaganda is less severe than the truth.

Nice to see Von Branau kicking but in the Balkans. :D Looks like the Empire's winning that front, and it was also cool to see Russia annex Bulgaria. I can see Russia invading Romania and Union Korea pretty soon. :cool: When Russia invade Korea anyway?

On a much darker note, sad to see Virginia and the Carolina's fall to the RU. :( However with the Scottish Flew coming there is still hope that Georgia, whats left of CoCaro and the Virginian government in exile in Cuba can kick the Union where it hurts, but even if these nations do win, they will never be the same again as Zachanassian has said.

North Africa I've pretty much already covered. Why don't you send me some ideas for southern Africa? I can write the chapter, but I could use some creative ideas. ;)

Before you right the chapter, can I PM you some ideas?