"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

Alright, I edited and re-uploaded the Missionary War Infobox above (added some commanders and other stuff) and added Jamaica's flag to the Colombian nations poster, plus I made it look more "old timey". I think it looks much better now.

Heres another wiki box for the last surviving Custer Youth Brigade veteran of the Missionary War. That photo in real life is off Harry Patch, one of the last surviving British WWI veterans.

Leroy Walker.png

Last edited:
Those look great, Zoid! I love how you used "Abraham Johnson" like in my Flickr pictures. :D Excellent attention to detail.

This is more of a set-up chapter, just getting the necessary details down, so it's not extreme excitement like most of the other chapters, but it's still pretty freaking creepy. :eek:
Next chapter is back to the normal style and will cover the Reservation Rebellions of the 1930s, and we'll get info on the increasingly independent-minded California. :D

THE EARLY YEARS OF

THE OSWALD BROTHERS
1917 - 1941
8339540_f260.jpg

Ex-mobsters Charles and Robert Oswald in Aeroforce uniforms circa 1945

On May 29th, 1917, in an Inferior ghetto in Shicagwa, John Fitzgerald Kennedy was born. His father, Joseph Kennedy, and his mother, Rose, were Irish and devout Catholics employed by Colonel Goodyear Enterprises as factory workers. As a young boy, "Johnnie Boy" and his older brother Joe ("Junior"), roamed the streets as petty thieves. The other children (Rose, Kathleen, Eunice, Patricia, Robert, Jean, and Teddy) disliked the two boys and refused to do anything with them.

It was on a quiet day in the ghetto, on April 4th, 1924, that seven year-old Johnnie was out for a walk. Unwittingly, he stumbled into a "middle class" neighborhood of Shicagwa. He saw, through a hole in a fence, a young boy playing teeball in a backyard. Johnnie was a baseball fanatic, and it was his favorite thing in the whole world. He called over to the other boy and the other boy let him through the gate. After all, he had no idea Johnnie was an "Inferior" who it was illegal to hang around. The boy introduced himself as Leslie King, Jr., age 11. The two played ball for an hour without any problems... until a brown-colored staff car pulled up out front of the King house. Jackboots clicked on the driveway as men dressed in ORRA and Custer Youth Brigade uniforms got out and started walking toward the children.

The youngest of the officers, a CYB corporal named Lyndon Johnson, came up and without a word picked up and threw Kennedy to the ground. "That's what you get for not playing with your own kind, Inferior!"

As it turned out, a neighbor across the street had recognized Kennedy as an Inferior and called up his local ORRA office to let them know. Another officer, Jack Williams, told King to go back inside his house. Williams then picked up Kennedy from off the ground and then screamed at him for about eight minutes, warning him to never, ever, ever play with his "Betters of Society" again. As Kennedy looked on in shock, Johnson joined in, telling him, "You filthy Irish aren't going to spread your disease among our future CYB members! Stay in the ghetto where you belong, or you and your whole family will be shipped out to Ohio Country and you'll never be heard from again!"

That day traumatized John F. Kennedy, who had had no real understanding of the segregation in the Union before then, and it remained glued in his memory forever. But it wasn't the abuse that upset him; starting when he was around ten, Johnnie began to see his life as unfair because his family was Inferior. He wanted to be a Better. By the time he was 13, he thoroughly planning out ideas for escaping the ghetto by any means necessary. As an older teen, in the early 1930s, Johnnie began doing work for the local mobs, and even met infamous crime lord Jay Edgar Hoover on one occasion. It was only natural that when Kennedy and his brother became adults that they started running absinthe for Hoover's syndicate. For years, Kennedy managed to earn quite the arrest record but the police and ORRA were never able to implicate him in anything major, so he usually walked after a few days in prison. He ran into CYB (and later ORRA) officer Johnson once more in 1935, when it was Johnson who arrested and turned him into authorities for absinthe possession.

In 1939, when he was 22, a large accidental furnace fire burned down the Shicagwa Police Department and the neighboring ORRA office, obliterating his and Junior's criminal records and all mugshots and information on them. After plotting over it with Junior, they agreed that this was the perfect moment to escape the slum life...

The two crafty brothers took up a job for the local mob to dispose of the bodies of two murdered Irish gangsters. They put them in the Kennedy family home under the cover of night and then silently strangled their family in their sleep. Then, they poured absinthe and gasoline all over the ratty house and lit it on fire. With that, the Kennedy family was legally dead. The two dead gangsters would stand in for Johnnie and Junior once authorities investigated the fire. All that was left of the clan was Johnnie and Junior, and they were legally dead.

Now, the brothers needed new identities. They stopped at the home of a forger and ordered two completely fake identities. John F. Kennedy took the names of his two favorite baseball players, Philadelphia Yankees pitcher Charles "Lefty" Lewis and Iowai Injuns catcher Mike Oswald, and combined them into the Scottish name "Charles Oswald," with "Custer" thrown in as a middle name. Junior became "Robert William Oswald." Then, they murdered the forger and burned down his lab. With that done, the Oswald brothers were now former members of their local Custer Youth Brigade and currently upstanding members of the Betters of Society. In 1941, both brothers joined the Union Aeroforce. Neither of them could have imagined what fate had in store for them...

Last edited:
Great update. :D I really liked the whole backstory behind the two "Oswald brothers". Of course, you're really good at making a story totally messed up. You know, John and Robert killing their entire family just to become accepted in the Republican Union's messed up society. :eek: I can see both Chuck and Robert Oswald becoming just as morally corrupt and willing to persecute their own for the sake of power as Joe Steele. With both Steele and Chuck Oswald running the RU (which we all know will happen) shits really going to hit the fan, even more than before.

Oh and your welocme for the latest info-box. I did indeed notice Abraham Johnson. :cool: I can actually see him as a major character by the present day ITTL. More info boxes are on the way. :)

Great update. :D I really liked the whole backstory behind the two "Oswald brothers". Of course, you're really good at making a story totally messed up. You know, John and Robert killing their entire family just to become accepted in the Republican Union's messed up society. :eek: I can see both Chuck and Robert Oswald becoming just as morally corrupt and willing to persecute their own for the sake of power as Joe Steele. With both Steele and Chuck Oswald running the RU (which we all know will happen) shits really going to hit the fan, even more than before.

Oh and your welocme for the latest info-box. I did indeed notice Abraham Johnson. :cool: I can actually see him as a major character by the present day ITTL. More info boxes are on the way. :)

Thanks, Zoid!

One thing I'm sure most readers are picking up on is the eerie coincidental tendency of the Union officials to be involved in the murders of family members:

Charles Goodyear II - Murdered father
Custer - Murdered adopted son's mother
Steele - Murdered father
Oswald Brothers - Murdered everyone in their family

It's just a creepy little trivia bit that was accidental by me at first, and then I just rolled with it. :p

I can't wait for more info-boxes! :D And you're right, Johnson the Newspaper Man could be some sort of extreme journalist traveling to all the battlefields of yesteryear and collecting information on the remaining veterans. Fun stuff.

Okay, back to the typical mad Madnessverse "history book format" chapters. :D I don't make any claim on being extremely knowledgeable on Native Americans, but I personally have a soft-spot for Indians since I could go to college free for being Cherokee. :D I did some research and I think this came out fairly well. It's definitely exciting and different! If anyone has any suggestions to make this better, toss 'em at me. The Prophet is clearly a nod to the Ghost Dancers from real history. This chapter also shows the black-and-grey morality of this TL, with the formerly "good guy" French eagerly working to keep the Indians backwards and isolated, even to the point of just outright mowing them down.

THE RESERVATION WAR AND THE BIRTH OF CALIFORNIA

mac_02_img0124.jpg

Californian Prime Minister Pierre Alphonse Belrose (in suit) signs a treaty in 1940 with Native elders, officially ending the Indian conflict

Since the American War for Independence, the Indians had collectively gotten the shaft by the outside world. Starting around the 1830s, most of the nations of North America found themselves agreeing on one thing: that the Noble Savage had to be put out to pasture to make way for the advancing tide of "Christian Civilization." This despite the fact that many Natives were, in fact, Christian.

In the First Louisiana Rebellion (1860 - 1861), Chief Red Cloud of the Lakota Sioux had fought on behalf of Caesar against the Louisiana rebels. But when the war was over, Red Cloud found himself backstabbed by the Imperial government. From 1870 to 1900, he and his followers waged a bitter guerrilla war against the French. In the winter of 1890, the French military finally tracked him down near the Canadian border. In a final weeks-long battle in the snowy mountains, Red Cloud was captured and almost of his followers were exterminated. Red Cloud was taken to Europe and put in a Roman-style victory parade, after which he was charged with treason, murder of Imperial citizens, and resisting arrest. He was executed by firing squad in Paris on January 13th, 1901.

In the following years, Red Cloud became something of a martyr for the Native Cause. As one tribe after another found themselves thrust into the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevada, the white governments worked to build border fences. By 1910, there was a gated off land in the middle of the North American West simply known as "The Reservation Lands." With little incentive to colonize, the whites simply "left the savages alone to tear each other apart in a grim, dark, apocalyptic society centered on tribal and family loyalties and blood-feuds," as Union historian Kenneth Jones-Moore put it in his 1958 tome entitled The Cruel Red Race: A Dismissal of the Myth of the Noble Savage.

And with that, the Indians found themselves on their own, with the only real place of contact and trading with the outside world being at the Great Salt Lake. Bitter wars followed, especially the Navajo-Ute War of 1922, which saw the first use of modern weapons like machine guns by Native warriors. With little clean water, alcohol became a substance worth killing for. Tribes built stills and defended them with their lives, and whites, especially Mexicans, ran whiskey across the border. Buffalo started going extinct in the Reservation Lands thanks to the use of belt-fed, vehicle-mounted "cattle guns," which scythed entire herds down in minutes. To make make matters even worse, white airship companies were offering "sky tours" of the Reservation Lands, with ad campaigns promoting "flying safely over a REAL war zone; never in human history as such a spectacle been available with no danger involved!"

Wovoka_Paiute_Shaman.jpg

But then came The Prophet. Also called "The Chosen One," "The Great Chief," and "Tom Smith." The Prophet was a Navajo shaman who was born in "Salt Lake City," the only "civilized town" in all of the Reservation Lands. He stayed there, living a life of solitude and meditation, studying various religions, even Islam and Buddhism, and contemplating on the meaning of life. By 1910, he had established a monastery of sorts in the Rocky Mountains, where he and his handful of followers practiced "The Ghost Dance," a ceremony to supposedly become one with nature and the spirits of the ancestors. He incorporated traits from all of the major tribal beliefs and religions of the world. By 1920, Californian newspapers were referring to "The Redskin Prophet of the Mountains" as being a cult leader. In the aftermath of the bloody 1922 Navajo-Ute War (which was actually more like tribal ethnic cleansing), he pushed his new faith as a way to bring together the Red Race and stop the killing. In a famous speech in Salt Lake City, he said:

"I urge my Red Brothers to put aside their hatred and rivalry. I urge them to put down their guns. I urge them to stop drinking the Tonic. I urge them to join hands, as one people, and bring forth a bright future for our peoples. You may follow my supposed religion, the Way of the Ghosts, you may practice the Ancient Beliefs of the Elders, or you may be Christian. It does not matter. Join me, and together we shall advance to a bright future and establish the Western Republic. We shall have a country. Where all are free, and where our children may come of age in a land where they are not born simply to replace those that were shot down before them."

This speech is considered by many to be the beginning of the Indian Reformation Movement. Thanks to many villages owning a communal and treasured talkie-box, The Prophet reached them over the airwaves. In 1925, the Navajo and Ute officially signed a "Forever Treaty," ending all hostilities between them. Beginning in 1927, a long string of tribes signed similar agreements and began to shut down their stills, give up their weapons to newly-established authorities, and finally build a functional society. Those tribes that did not cooperate with "The Prophet's Alliance" were "brought to justice." Out of the old wastelands and deserts and mountains was brought forth a new map, with specific tribes having their own "states." For the first time since the days of the ancient Mesoamerican Empires, the Indians found themselves establishing borders. White-style "police forces" were established to keep the new laws being drafted in Salt Lake City by the "Supreme Inter-Tribal Council of Chiefs" ("SITCC").

Carlisle_pupils.jpg

Native students at Salt Lake City Academy, circa 1930, the first-ever established school in the Reservation Lands

The white governments of North America were not pleased with the recent turn of events with their Native neighbors. Joe Steele's Union even sent in "military advisers" to train anti-Prophet warriors to fight. This was very ironic, as the anti-Prophet Natives tended to be the most anti-Christian, too, and were known for massacring Christianized villages.

California's colonial governors began writing to Paris to complain about the situation. Colonial Governor Fabien Cornett said in a 1930-dated letter to the Emperor:

"The natives are restless, Your Majesty. They are building up. We granted them local autonomy, but now they rebel with a high hand and are acting like an independent nation! I'm sure you will find this as unacceptable as I do, Your Majesty, and I ask you to help us deal with this Indian Mohammad and his cultists. I am asking Your Majesty for enough troops to go into the Reservation Lands and crush these cretins once and for all. California's meager army cannot support a war effort of such magnitude alone."

The Imperial government was reluctant at first, hoping the Indian nation would dissolve. But in 1931, The elderly Prophet took to the Talkie Box to announce the signing of the Declaration of Western Independence:

"Today, on January 13th, 1931, the 30th Anniversary of the Martyrdom of Red Cloud the Great, the Supreme Inter-Tribal Council of Chiefs signed a document in Salt Lake City. This document is an official announcement of our sovereignty as the Western Republic. Yes, my children, we have declared full and complete independence and sovereignty from all white governments. We are are now a nation. Rejoice, and thank the Spirits for this triumph of our people!"

Back in Saint François, the Californian capital, Governor Cornett spoke to crowds of angry citizens outside the capitol building:

"January 13th, 1931. A date which shall eternally live in infamy. On this day, the Red Man has stabbed his master in the back! The cultist savages have had the gall to rebel against the Imperial government! We granted them autonomy, and now these pagans have run with it and declared themselves independent! My fellow citizens, what is the Californian Bear going to do to these rebels? We are going to crush them! They are going to hear the Bear of California roar! I have consulted already by long-distance phone-call with our good Caesar, and he is at this very moment preparing the Imperial Army for action. God bless California, God bless Caesar, and God bless the Empire!
Vive la Californie! Vive l'Empire!"

Within one week, Californian troops, cavalry, and landships crossed the border and attack several large villages with relative ease. But when the natives managed to pick themselves up from the shock of war, they halted he advance. A wave of brutal winter snow storms bogged down the Californian advance and made the use of landships impossible. Native snipers knew every inch of the terrain and picked off Californian soldiers almost non-stop. As the Imperial Army realized the massive tactical problems with waging a war halfway across the world, they struggled with a way to transport troops over. The Union would not allow them to use the Panama Canal as Steele and proclaimed himself neutral in the war, and it was illegal for military invasion forces to use the Canal. Shipping around the tip of South America would take forever. Finally, it was Imperial India which ended up providing the bulk of the invasion force. 50,000 Asian-Indian troops landed in California in April of 1931 with landship regiments and airships to boot. In June and July, with the snow now gone, the Prophet's meager little army found itself drastically outnumbered. To make it even tougher, Brazilian troops were showing up, too, making a thrust toward the southern border. By late October, 1931, Imperial aeroships were flying over Salt Lake City and bombarding it into ruins. On October 31st, The Prophet was killed by Imperial Aero-Marines, and the Empire declared victory.

640px-2nd_Indian_Cav_Div.jpg

Asian-born Imperial cavalry troops in north-western Navajo State, 1931

2933_Maharaja-Bhupinder-Singh_Belgium_Generals.jpg

Imperial officers survey the trenchlines near Salt Lake City, 1931

Picture3.jpg

Foreign Legion troops are depicted in a firefight against Navajo Ghost Dancers in this famous 1943 painting

It was a bizarre conflict. It was definitely one of the most inter-cultural wars in the history of mankind. And it got even more bizarre when the Reservation Rebellion "ended." In 1932, thanks to the Indians refusing to give up, Foreign Legion troops were brought in from North Africa and they brought their camels along with them. The animals proved very reliable in the hot climates of the newly-christened Nevada and Utah regions, and soon even natives were learning to make use of the lumbering beasts. From that date onward, camels became a common sight in the North American west.

The official Imperial death toll of the Reservation War of 1931 was 1500, and the estimates for native casualties range from 8000 to 15000. In reality, since the conflict lasted long after The Prophet's demise and the official declaration of victory, the Imperial casualties were probably more along the lines of 4000. A never-ending period of occupation followed the declaration of victory, and by 1950, at least 7000 Imperial troops were killed. The Imperial government lifted the ban to settle the Reservation Lands in 1938, and the "cultural assimilation" of the Natives began.

In the end, if the war proved anything, it was that Paris was woefully incapable of managing a conflict in California. Napoleon fully admitted this, and in 1940 he signed the Californian Autonomy Order. It established the Kingdom of California, with Charles, Prince of Baden, as King. Pierre Alphonse Belrose was elected as Prime Minister of the new Californian Royal Parliament, and it was he who held most of the power. In that same year, he managed to drag and threaten a large number of chiefs and Native politicians into signing the Treaty of Saint François, officially "ending" all hostilities between Imperial-Royal and Indian forces. Guerrilla fighters would continue their "war for independence" well into the 1950s, with especially big flare-ups in 1953 and 1956.

Last edited:
I'll make a flag for California.

It will be shared by the good old Californian bruin and the bonapartist eagle. :D

I was really hoping that the Native American tribes would win the Rebellion, but oh well. The Reservation lands or individual tribes will probably be independent eventually, since you mentioned the Empire would fall by the present day.

On a positive note, independent Cali is pretty cool I guess. I can see Cali as both a mix of Francophone and Hispanic culture, or it more one than the other?

On a similar note, I can see Canada as the next Imperial Colony becoming a dominion like Kingdom.

Oh, and I recognized "the Prophet" as Piatue religious leader Wovoka. Are they the same guy or did you just use his photo?

I'll make a flag for California.

It will be shared by the good old Californian bruin and the bonapartist eagle. :D

Ossum possum! :D Can't wait to see it.

Hmmm... a Bonapartist Deseret would then have a Mormon bee and a Bonapartist bee? ;)

Even though that can't be used ITTL because there are no Mormons, that's an awesome idea. :D

I was really hoping that the Native American tribes would win the Rebellion, but oh well. The Reservation lands or individual tribes will probably be independent eventually, since you mentioned the Empire would fall by the present day.

On a positive note, independent Cali is pretty cool I guess. I can see Cali as both a mix of Francophone and Hispanic culture, or it more one than the other?

On a similar note, I can see Canada as the next Imperial Colony becoming a dominion like Kingdom.

Oh, and I recognized "the Prophet" as Piatue religious leader Wovoka. Are they the same guy or did you just use his photo?

I totally wanted them to win, too, but it'll actually come back to bite the Imperials. They basically have just gotten their own version of Vietnam in the desert and mountains.

California is probably mainly Francophone by now, with maybe a quarter Hispanic population. Probably almost a quarter are English, too, descendents of Canadians or immigrants fearing war in the eastern NA countries.

Your spot on with Canada. I am indeed planning that. :D

As for The Prophet, I guess it's up to the reader, really. :D It might be Wovoka or it might not be, but I didn't intend it to be, but it very well could be. :p

Now that the hopeful heir of Baden is gone, shall we see the remainder (Which wasn't really even part of Baden before the Napoleonic Wars) join the Helveticans or be disputed between the Rheinbund and Tripartite Empire? Heck, why not give it to the Pope?

Prior to becoming an ideologically Bonapartist country with strong French cultural and political influence, California had unilaterally adopted two national flags during the course of its early history:

attachment.php

The first flag, dubbed the "Pear Flag" or "Golden Pears Flag" was used for a number of years, though it still remains the shortest-lived of the Californian national flags. The lush and regnal colours of the vert pear tree and or/argent pears, seen in the centre field's national coat of arms and on the flag's side fields, were chosen to represent the bountiful agriculture of California.

attachment.php

The "Bear & Pear Flag" replaced the previous one and was longer-lived. It is noteworthy for being the first Californian flag to adopt the now traditional Californian iconography of the sable bear and the gules 'lone star', which dominate the later incarnations of the national flag and other national insignia. Despite greatly minimizing the presence of the pears, three of them still appear in the treetop of a simplified pear tree. The newly introduced symbol of the bear is seen leaning onto the tree.

FYI, I know that the "pear/bear flag mistake" is actually just a popular urban myth. Unfortunately, even the likes of Snopes.com fell for it. I've found multiple sources saying that such a mistake never took place in OTL. Still, in WMIT, it can work as a pretty neat allohistorical in-joke. ;) And yes, I'm working on the third, Bonapartist flag as well. I'll finish it soon, but it will take a bit more work.

FYI, I know that the "pear/bear flag mistake" is actually just a popular urban myth. Unfortunately, even the likes of Snopes.com fell for it. I've found multiple sources saying that such a mistake never took place in OTL. Still, in WMIT, it can work as a pretty neat allohistorical in-joke. ;) And yes, I'm working on the third, Bonapartist flag as well. I'll finish it soon, but it will take a bit more work.
Didn't you see where it was listed? In The Repository of Lost Legends.

Ever since becoming firmly a part of the Bonapartist sphere of nations, California's flag was "adjusted" in order to better reflect its new political regime :

attachment.php

The third Californian flag, "The Bear and Eagle", was a fairly radical departure from the previous two national flags, though it kept the sable bear, the vert star and the vert, gules and argent fields present in the second flag. But gone were the or and argent pears, now replaced by the or Bonapartist eagle. The number of stars had also grown from a lone one to four, a change made supposedly "...to represent California bravely looking towards its future, good or bad, in all four general directions...". In order to create more variety in the flag, its Bonapartist half had the colours of its stars and horizontal fields (stripes) inverted. Another interesting touch is that, unlike on other Bonapartist national flags, the Bonapartist eagle is inverted, looking towards the left, instead of the right. According to the designers of the flag, this was implemented in order to accentuate that the fellow countries of the Bonapartist alliance look towards little, young California as a faithful and equal ally. To further emphasize this notion, the sable bear passant on California's half of the flag faces towards the eagle - symbolizing that California and the other Bonapartist nations hide no secrets from each other.

Wow Petike, those are some awesome flags. :D Since Cali has been a Bonaprtist Kingdom from the get go, I think the first two would be proposed flags and just that. Still great though.

I'm curious to see what the flags of the RU's states are. Some might be similar to OTL, but all would probably be different, the newer ones more so than the older ones.

Petike: Those flags are nothing short of amazing! Well done, my good sir. :D They look very unique and still definitely California-appropriate. Make sure you post them in the flag thread!

Now that the hopeful heir of Baden is gone, shall we see the remainder (Which wasn't really even part of Baden before the Napoleonic Wars) join the Helveticans or be disputed between the Rheinbund and Tripartite Empire? Heck, why not give it to the Pope?

Oh, I'll detail more in the next "Bonaparte Generation" chapter. The King of California is one of the heirs who is not expected to become the leader of Baden. Like Britain's Prince Harry now. Also, in the next Bon. Gen. chapter, we'll see Baden get a rank up and become the Kingdom of Baden.

I'm curious to see what the flags of the RU's states are. Some might be similar to OTL, but all would probably be different, the newer ones more so than the older ones.

You know, I hadn't even considered that. Definitely something we'll do in the future.

Last edited: