"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

Avskygod0

Banned
Any chance that the Republican Union realizes that differences between Melanesians, Micronesians, and Polynesians and, perhaps because of good memories from some sailors, consider them to be an excellent servent race who just need enough food to be cheery and bring plates laden with fruit drinks to their 'betters'? I also suggest something with the Guano Islands, as there is a distinctive chance that they will not want to sell the stuff from Chile.

They are not like that, these the RU is ruled by corporate imbeciles who hate everything that even has a speck of color that ain't white. Plus anyone who is catholic, any other christian, and basically everything.

Indeed; in a declared dystopia, the RUA are supposed to be the "bad guys" and a kinda-polar opposite of OTL's America (one with similarities, but utterly different outlooks).

Personally, I can't wait to see them get their uppity, racist, revanchist Yank teeth kicked in (and I say that AS an American!) but good.

@Nappy, keep up the good work!

They are not like that, these the RU is ruled by corporate imbeciles who hate everything that even has a speck of color that ain't white. Plus anyone who is catholic, any other christian, and basically everything.
That or they act that way to keep their voting population protecting the social order.

They do leave black people alone, though, at least officially, as part of their grand tradition of "Enlightenment." Which of course is another opposite from real history.

Personally, I can't wait to see them get their uppity, racist, revanchist Yank teeth kicked in (and I say that AS an American!) but good.

@Nappy, keep up the good work!

*Southern drawl* Here! Here! To Columbia!

Thanks!

That or they act that way to keep their voting population protecting the social order.

Both. :p Of course, after Custer, elections will probably stop even being real. That's the one bit of honesty Custer has is that he's not going to pull a Adams-Hamilton (mainly because they were hanged).

Hear, hear! Down with the Rep-Unionites (BTW what is their "non-complimentary" name here? Still Yankee, or something else?). And while I'm a bit late, hurrah for an independent, Celtic Wales!

Indeed, All Glory to Columbia!

In all seriousness, will Texas and Louisiana (perhaps later on) be considered part of Columbia as well? They're geographically close enough, and Texas was quasi-filibustered by Georgia after all.*

*As an aside to Nappy, I wanna thank your choice of who the leading Columbian nations are, as they're the ones my ancestors would've likely gone to ;).

Remember how months ago I hated how Bioshock Infinite came close to this TL, even though I had been planning this before I even knew what Bioshock was? Well, looks like this is a new screenshot from the new DLC for Bioshock, coming out in a couple weeks:

BioShock-Infinite-DLC-39-love-letter-to-the-fans-39-1097604.jpg

I swear, if they have a cultist white supremacist President Comstock in the late 1800s and early 1900s who acts like our favorite First Chief Consul, I'm suing Ken Levine for plagiarism. :p:D

Indeed, All Glory to Columbia!

In all seriousness, will Texas and Louisiana (perhaps later on) be considered part of Columbia as well? They're geographically close enough, and Texas was quasi-filibustered by Georgia after all.*

*As an aside to Nappy, I wanna thank your choice of who the leading Columbian nations are, as they're the ones my ancestors would've likely gone to ;).

I actually have a huge surprise coming up about Louisiana and Texas. :D

Remember how months ago I hated how Bioshock Infinite came close to this TL, even though I had been planning this before I even knew what Bioshock was? Well, looks like this is a new screenshot from the new DLC for Bioshock, coming out in a couple weeks...

I haven't been able to read this yet, Napoleon. I've been rather busy, unfortunately. However, it's not actually from the DLC. Ken Levine and 2K/Irrational haven't released any info on it yet. That's an image from way back in BioShock Infinite's development cycle (about E3 2011 or so), back when the game was much more focused on the eugenics aspect - which they ultimately dropped due it becoming increasingly irrelevant in the game's narrative - as opposed to the cult one they ended up choosing.

That said, we're hopefully going to get an update at the end of this month.

I haven't been able to read this yet, Napoleon. I've been rather busy, unfortunately. However, it's not actually from the DLC. Ken Levine and 2K/Irrational haven't released any info on it yet. That's an image from way back in BioShock Infinite's development cycle (about E3 2011 or so), back when the game was much more focused on the eugenics aspect - which they ultimately dropped due it becoming increasingly irrelevant in the game's narrative - as opposed to the cult one they ended up choosing.

That said, we're hopefully going to get an update at the end of this month.

No problem; read it when you can! :)

Oh, okay, the article I got that pic from was misleading then. Whew! :D I can't wait to see what they really do, then.

This chapter will blow your minds. Like the movie Inception, but with Stalin! STALINCEPTION! :p:D

BIRTH OF A MONSTER

attachment.php

The official story was told and printed again and again, memorized by every child in the Union: On Christmas Eve, 1878, a small basket was found on the Custer property in Shicagwa. The lid was covered in snow, and it very well could have been covered completely and forgotten if the snows had blown over it in the wind. It was brutally cold that night, but General Custer, always one for getting a robust breath of fresh air, stepped out on his porch and lit up a cigar. He stood there for a few minutes, just enjoying the smoke while watching some coaches go by on the cobbled street directly outside his fenced front yard. It was then that he noticed the basket.

George walked down the path a few yards and brushed the snow off the little wooden box. When he saw there was an ice-white newborn baby inside, he was shocked, and immediately rushed back inside. A few of his servants took care of it over the next few nights, and by a week later, it was doing fine. Custer was thrilled. His wife had died in childbirth, and so had the child itself, but he had always wanted to be a father. He saw this as his chance. He named named the baby Michael Goodyear Custer, and had Michael legally registered as his son.

Years later, in 1890, a 12 year-old Michael Custer stood on the stage next to his father and other Manifest Destiny Party officials at the Coliseum as Warren G. Harding and William Jennings Bryan delivered their famous speeches. The boy was wearing a spiked pith helmet and holding an Old Republic flag, and roaring out "All Hails!" as loudly and frequently as possible. It was that day that he knew politics were of his liking. As the MDP grew in strength over the years, he became a frequent mascot for the party, and when he was 16 in 1894, he delivered his first speech, calling for all Americans to "rally round the flag and shout the battle cry of freedom" in the wake of Custer's declaration of war against Mexico. The speech was a smashing success, and he was given a standing ovation.

Christmas, 1895, Shicagwa, Iowai, Republican Union...

Michael Custer rubbed his hands together as he walked down a street in an Inferior slum. Michael was a member of the Military Police, but he usually had soft, safe jobs in an office, since he was the only son of the beloved Union leader George Custer. This time, though, he had demanded to be sent in to a rough neighborhood to "do his bit." Michael wanted a rumble. He was out to crack skulls and beat Inferiors. He clutched his nightstick nervously as he looked out for trouble-makers.

An older man was walking down the same sidewalk, carrying a brown paper bag of groceries. The fellow was about 50 by the looks of him, with a dark beard and wearing a raggedy sports coat and a pair of factory worker overalls. Michael recognized the man. He had seen him before, over a number of years. The MP watched as the old man slipped on some ice and fell to the ground, sending cans of food rolling everywhere. As the man started to get up, Michael put a jackboot on his chest and fingered the nightstick. "Old man, why do I see you so often?" he demanded.

The man just stared at him and shrugged, "I don't know. I get around. You're Custer's kid right?" He had a sharp Slavic accent of the kind Michael detested, and also had a Russian Orthodox cross around his neck.

Custer slapped the man in the face as he was in the process of letting him get up. "I'm not 'Custer's kid'. I am Michael Custer, and you will show me some respect, Slavic maggot! Again, I ask you why do you always turn up around me? Are you some sort of Anarchist, waiting to assassinate me, Inferior?" he shook the man and threw him by his collar over into the nearby alley.

"You're the one who is disrespectful, you spoiled little brat!" shouted the man as he got up again.

"What did you say to me?! I'll give you one chance to explain that you said something other than what I thought you just said, maggot, and if you don't, I will beat you within an inch of your life!"

"I have nothing to explain. I should not have dropped you off at that house as a baby," the Slav declared in an indignant tone.

"You are a crazy old coot," Michael grabbed the man's collar again and raised his nightstick, ready to strike.

"I am your real father, Michael! I was an alcoholic and couldn't afford you anymore. I had no idea I dropped you off in that basket at Custer's house, of all places. I was half-drunk, so I didn't know any better."

Michael slammed the man to the ground and kicked him the stomach. "You liar! I am a Better of Society, and I ain't no stupid Slav, you piece of Orthodox sh*t!" He kicked him again.

The man spit in his face. "Bah! Yes you are. You even look just like me! You're a Slav all right, Ioseb. Ioseb Jughashvili your name is. And I am your Slavic father, Besarion. Didn't you ever wonder who your real father was? Or are you just that stupid? Maybe next time you beat the daylights out of a Slav, you'll think of yourself on the receiving end, you scum. Your adopted father was practicing ethnic cleansing in this neighborhood 17 years ago. He and his men wore white hoods over their heads and cloaks, saying they were the ghosts of Revolutionary War soldiers here to punish Catholics and subversives who were 'polluting the Union.' And they ripped through the ghettos, murdering and randomly shooting and lynching Inferiors like serial killers. He burned down our house. He murdered and raped your mother. Then, he shot her right between the eyes. He shot me and left me to die while he set the house on fire. I only barely escaped, and my legs are still scarred from the burns. You weren't any Baby Jesus miracle child from Heaven left on the Good General's porch like they feed you to give you some sort of Messiah mentality . You were fully one year old when he kidnapped you. Custer covered it all up because he wanted you as a son."

"That is the biggest lie I have ever heard, you stupid, blaspheming Orthodox monkey!" shrieked Michael. "And you can't prove any of it! Why wouldn't my father just adopt a Better, American baby if he wanted a son so badly? Huh? Why, you loathsome heathen?"

Besarion rolled his eyes and his face grew red with rage, and he answered, flailing his hands angrily, "Maybe because he doesn't actually believe in the inferiority of the Slavs? Maybe because he is a lying, godless, homicidal rapist who discovered the one thing to bring a nation together under his boot is the hatred and paranoia they can feel toward their fellow man! And do you really think Custer believes in that Fundamentalist garbage? That kidnapper of yours is a pure monster, the devil himself! He is controlled by Satan!"

"You sick piece of sh*t!" screamed Michael. He drew his pistol from his belt. "You're a subversive Anarchist scum. I'm going to kill you, you lying Slavic bastard! I hope you burn in Hell forever for insulting the name of my father!"

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Two hours later, American Fundamentalist Christian Church of Shicagwa...

"... Amen! And now will you all please rise for our final hymn before we return to our homes," the Fundamentalist minister said, closing his Burr Version Bible and picking up his songbook. "We will sing the hymn on page 244."

The organ began playing, filling the Custer family's favorite church with the tune of Bringing in the Sheaves, George Custer's favorite. Then, the large congregation started singing.

"Sowing in the sunshine, sowing in the shadows,
Fearing neither clouds nor winter’s chilling breeze;
By and by the harvest, and the labor ended,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves."

Michael Custer looked down from his hymnal to the piece of paper he had in his hand. He had found it in the old Slavic man's house after he had shot him. It was an old, poor quality photograph of Besarion, his wife, and a baby. That baby was the same baby from his childhood pictures with Custer.

"Going forth with weeping, sowing for the Master,

Though the loss sustained our spirit often grieves."

As Michael looked over at his father George, he thought about it all. It fit together. It had to be true. No! It couldn't!... Or could it?

"When our weeping’s over, He will bid us welcome,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves."

Michael Custer stretched the hand holding the photograph out over the coal heater at the end of his pew. Slowly, he let go, and the picture fluttered into the flames. The last evidence of Ioseb Jughashvili, the abducted Slavic Inferior child, ever having existed burned up in seconds.

Michael smiled slightly. It began to soak in. If he was a Slav, he had it made. It was not like Michael believed in a God either (he put on a show of it, but he kept it secret even though he knew Custer didn't care). After all, it was not like he ever knew those real parents of his. If he had stayed with them and Custer never had killed him, he would be an Inferior, starving in the ghetto with that creepy old codger Besarion.

"Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness,
Sowing in the noontide and the dewy eve;

Waiting for the harvest, and the time of reaping,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves!"

Ioseb Jughashvili grinned wide. And then he chuckled to himself...

"Good heavens, I am a heartless son of a bitch. I'll make an excellent politician some day, hah!"

The service concluded, and "Michael" accompanied his "father" back to their Shicagwa winter residence...

446px-Stalin_1902.jpg

:eek::D

It all comes together now, huh? Custer's ridiculously fake religious life (I dropped constant hints at that fact, as well as that almost no R.U. leader actually believes in the AFC, and use it as tool, like A. A. Lincoln did, and to "opiate the people"), how this universe's Joe Steele/Michael Custer would still wind up as a worse-than-OTL stone-cold heartless, mass-murderer, and just how Steele came into Custer's family. Seriously, this guy doesn't care his adopted father and leader of America murdered and raped his own mother, kidnapped him, and shot his father, all because he's become a spoiled, rich bourgeoisie little brat and has it made. He's willing to continue persecuting Slavs, his own kind, and promote AFCanity because it keeps him in power and he doesn't care what he has to do to stay there. He's a full-blown psychopath, just like George Custer has been revealed to be. :eek:

And yes, I did get the idea of having Michael/Ioseb/Joe in church immediately after shooting his real father from the baptism scene in The Godfather. :D

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty messed up.

Also, I can't help but substitute "sheaves" and say "cheese" instead for that song.

In the RU, what is the standing for other Protestant groups? Are they persecuted as well or are they ignored by the RU?

Wow, that's pretty messed up.

Also, I can't help but substitute "sheaves" and say "cheese" instead for that song.

In the RU, what is the standing for other Protestant groups? Are they persecuted as well or are they ignored by the RU?

Thanks for commenting! :)

Indeed. Supervillain-level messed up.

Thanks for making me never able to un-hear that in the song now. :p

The other Protestant groups are okay and fine. The gov't wouldn't dare mess with them; the AFC is still a minority (probably, say, 20%). The AFC is optional, at least for now, but is held up as the church "true patriots" join.

A hated figure in this TL dies a gristly, over-the-top (yet strangely hilarious) death. The century-long jig is finally up for:

BREAKING NEWS: May 9th, 1900...

"Oh the humanity! Colonel Charles Goodyear has left this earthly realm!"
-Talkiebox Host Gregory Hightower, Uncle Sam Talkiebox Station
8624010334_212289028a.jpg

Advertisement celebrating Charles Goodyear's 95th birthday (1895)

"Breaking news!" exclaimed the talkiebox* man, Gregory Hightower, on May the 9th, 1900, at 9:10 AM. "We are receiving a major alert from the government of our good Union. Hold on! Hold on! Oh the humanity! Colonel Charles Goodyear has left this earthly realm! Oh! Bless us all and bless the Goodyear family during this time of agony! Again: Colonel Charles Goodyear, hero to millions of God-fearing Americans, has passed away this morning, May the 9th, 1900! Once more: Colonel Goodyear has been taken from us! Too soon! Even at 100, he still had so much to give of himself for the betterment of our nation! Stay tuned to Uncle Sam's Talkiebox Station for more breaking news as it comes in! 'Uncle Sam's Talkiebox Station, Keeping America Informed!'"

9:30 AM: "We interrupt our scheduled patriotic music for this important and tragic news update. I am your host, Gregory Hightower. FLASH! More news is coming in about the demise of our beloved hero, Colonel Charles Goodyear. The Good Colonel passed away on his private airship today after suffering a fall from 1500 feet. He was sitting on the deck in his wheelchair accompanied by his dapper young son Charles Goodyear II when, as Charles II report to us, 'the Good Colonel's chair suddenly slipped toward the railing and crashed through a weak spot, sending him and the chair rolling off the nose of the ship.' He then plummeted a mile to his death. While it may seem horrifying and ghastly, Charles II comforts the nation by assuring us that the impact was so quick, Goodyear couldn't possibly have felt a thing. Remember this day, children! It is likely that one of you children listening will live to the year 2000, the New Millennium. Remember this day and be a link to the glorious days when Colonel Goodyear was alive and well. Be a link to history!"

11:00 AM: "News flash! We interrupt this talkiebox documentary, The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, to bring you an update on the tragic death of beloved icon and philanthropist, Colonel Charles Goodyear. Charles II has announced he is now in full control of the company and business shall continue as usual. He also says not to mourn his father's passing, but to rejoice that he is now singing patriotic praises with all the Patriots in Heaven. 'My father is bedecked in heavenly red-white-and-blue robes and is sitting near the Throne of God, glorifying Him and asking for Him to smile fondly and bring about the Manifest Destiny of this Union, our earthly homeland's Holy Endeavor.' More breaking news as we have it. Stay tuned to Uncle Sam's Talkiebox Station! All the news that's fit for the Betters of Society to hear!"

2:00 PM: "News alert, listeners! The nation mourns the passing of industrialist and philanthropist Colonel Charles Goodyear, who died this afternoon by falling from his airship in a tragic accident. All flags in the country today were lowered to half-staff to honor his passing. Black drapes and banners were hung from Independence Hall and the new Capitol Building in Philadelphia. All government offices, with the exception of Offices of Racial and Religious Affairs, police, and pire departments, have been closed. Citizens are encouraged to wear black, and to pin on a Foot of Mercury badge as a show of solidarity with the Goodyear Company and Family during this time of unmeasurable sorrow. Charles II has announced he is in intense grief and is 'simply mortified' and will not be able to talk to the 'press or police for at least a month.' Our prayers are with you, Charles II! God bless you!"

On May 12th, Goodyear's gristly remains (or what was left of them) were loaded into a pompously ornate coffin and sent to all of the Union's major cities by airship to make sure "all Americans can set eyes on their hero('s closed coffin) one more time." On May 30th, 1900, Colonel Charles Goodyear, the seemingly immortal, tyrannical, industrialist task-master--and intensely racist and xenophobic politician--was buried outside the Capitol Building, in a site known as Patriots' Rest. He joined the military and political dead that had been buried there for the past 100 years. His monument was ridiculously grand, and 50 Union troops from all branches were placed on permanent honor guard duty.

prod_30662.jpg

Goodyear's Tomb at Patriot's Rest, Philadelphia

19010900_McKinley_Funeral.jpg

Goodyear's casket is taken to a hearse after a service at Philadelphia in Aaron Burr's original AFC church

3390275909_3655f93e3b_z.jpg

Soldiers and Manifest Destiny Party Members march beside the funeral procession to Patriots' Rest. The new Capitol Building can be seen in the background.

mw08061.jpg

Photographic portrait of Charles Goodyear II as CEO of Colonel Goodyear Enterprises

365px-Mckin.jpg

William McKinley, Vice-President of Colonel Goodyear Enterprises

* Talkiebox is a static-y prototype radio ITTL. Quite audible, but not clear.

Last edited:
In light of recent events, let me just say; HAHAHAHAHA! I really wish there were a middle-finger emoticon for this now-dead toolbag*. Nice mini-update, Nappy!

*Disclaimer: I of course only refer to this bizarro Goodyear, the real one I have absolutely nothing against.