"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

I believe that Andorra is independent and the Dutch are having far too much in the way of direct control. It would be impossible for them to run all of it. Far better to give them the lighter orange and have local kings crush the minor powers. I'm also iffy on Guam,

Direct control might also be done ETC-style or by European mercenaries Blackwater-style. The Dutch are just powerful in this, and can get by with it. Also, they'll slaughter dissidents. :p

I seriously found this by accident, but wow, does it look exactly like the Union Salute. Perhaps a poster in honor of all those killed in the subjugation of Mexico? :cool:

3f04114u.jpg

Napo, before I post the 1856 map, is Andorra a part of France or a puppet of France? If its the latter I can quickly edit the posts with the maps showing Andorra as a part of France on them and replace them with corrected maps showing the former.

I fixed Andorra on the previous 1838 map. Heres 1856, after the foundation of the Prussian Empire, the Balkan Wars and many more events. Also, Napo I just began planning out TTL's Scramble for Africa, and just started writing the chapter on it like you asked. I'll PM you the rough draft soon if you want.

WMIT 1856.png

Last edited:
I fixed Andorra on the previous 1838 map. Heres 1856, after the foundation of the Prussian Empire, the Balkan Wars and many more events. Also, Napo I just began planning out TTL's Scramble for Africa, and just started writing the chapter on it like you asked. I'll PM you the rough draft soon if you want.
I think it is unwise to fill in North America like that. There are still territorial disputes, restive tribes, the likely equivilant of Mormons, and a fair deal more to take into account. Filling in Australia and not south America makes it even odder. I frankly am holding out from states of some sort coming into existance in the Great Plains. Why is Breisgau independent?

Last edited:
I think it is unwise to fill in North America like that. There are still territorial disputes, restive tribes, the likely equivilant of Mormons, and a fair deal more to take into account. Filling in Australia and not south America makes it even odder. I frankly am holding out from states of some sort coming into existance in the Great Plains.

I approve of most of the filling-in. Canada might be a bit much, but hey, it makes it easier to tell who owns what, IMO. It won't matter soon, anyway, since the modern era has come and everything will be explored.

I approve of most of the filling-in. Canada might be a bit much, but hey, it makes it easier to tell who owns what, IMO. It won't matter soon, anyway, since the modern era has come and everything will be explored.
Still the Oregon Country to take care of. And Nappy, may I ask about a few minor things that I may have missed in past updates? Is Breisgau (southern Baden) independent, is the Netherlands almost out of the light-blue camp, and has French Italy taken a seperate route from the Empire?

And Nappy, may I ask about a few minor things that I may have missed in past updates?

Is Breisgau (southern Baden) independent,

is the Netherlands almost out of the light-blue camp,

and has French Italy taken a seperate route from the Empire?

Sure!

No, I don't believe so.

It's still a close French ally, but the Dutch are being treated with more respect, and not like an underling.

Do you mean French-occupied "blue" Italy, or the Italian countries (Sicily, etc)? For the first: it's under strict Imperial rule. For the second: the nations are still satellites of the Empire, but are slowly getting more nationalistic. Even if they go crazy nationalist they'll still be allied to France.

It's still a close French ally, but the Dutch are being treated with more respect, and not like an underling.

Do you mean French-occupied "blue" Italy, or the Italian countries (Sicily, etc)? For the first: it's under strict Imperial rule. For the second: the nations are still satellites of the Empire, but are slowly getting more nationalistic. Even if they go crazy nationalist they'll still be allied to France.
As close as the Rheinbund? And would the German areas of the French Empire warrant the same outlining as Imperial Italy(Tuscany and such)? I know you didn't make the maps of course, but looking at them you can see how well a Polish Kingdom could be set up and all the Germans unified. That landbridge between Holland and the Bund also looks like it could become a flashpoint in the future as the Germanic speakers grow closer and the French try to keep all river and ocean traffic going through French ports.

As close as the Rheinbund?

That landbridge between Holland and the Bund also looks like it could become a flashpoint in the future as the Germanic speakers grow closer and the French try to keep all river and ocean traffic going through French ports.

Yep, about as close.

Definitely. The French will probably have to give up and hand it over to the Bund eventually. Napoleon III might, as he's being weaker than past Caesars.

THE PANAMA CANAL
custer-portrait.jpg

"America shall only know its true destiny when it stretches from sea to sea, engulfing all of the Inferiors on this continent and eliminating Papist Imperialism forever. We will not do this in our lifetimes. But rest assured, dear America, our grandchildren will be able to get on a train or Goodyear airship in New York City and go all the way down to Panama City without ever being touched by a Papist race-mixer."
-First Chief Consul Custer, 1900

Beginning in late 1897, just mere months after the capture and annexation of Central America, Custer decided to embark upon one of the most ambitious construction projects ever. He set his engineers on the task of creating the Panama Canal, which would allow the Union Navy to strike easily anywhere in the world and would also increase Union income tenfold. Billions of dollars worth of trade goods would go through the Canal, and the Union could cut it off and economically strangle the nations of their choice.

The Mexicans had made an attempt at creating the Canal as a last-ditch effort to save their nation, but it was only about 5% finished. Custer demanded it be finished by the year 1900. His officers told him it was impossible. The First Chief Consul replied, "Nothing is impossible in America."

Blasting commenced on October 1st, 1897. Thousands of trucks loaded with dynamite, gunpowder, TNT, and other explosives began priming the narrow strip of land to blow. The Union was on a schedule, and they spared no expense and worried very little about safety; after all, the overwhelming majority of the workers were Hispanics and Indians local to the area and Irish and Slavs shipped in from Goodyear's factories (Goodyear, almost 100 years old, was very active in pushing for progress on the Canal). Thousands died over the next couple years. The Union tried to keep the exact number under wraps, but it was somewhere around 7,000. The huge daily explosions wreaked havoc on the surrounding environment, and the constant floods had wiped out whole villages. Nevertheless, the White Man marched on.

By late 1898, 65% of the Canal was finished, meaning they were right on schedule. Charles Goodyear II, now 33 years-old, personally came down to manage the project on behalf of the Union government. He was given the newly-created position of Secretary of Industrial and Agricultural Affairs (SIAA), and it gave him free reign as a colonial task-master. Worker deaths rose sharply under his administration, but the construction progress sky-rocketed. By Remembrance Day, 1899, the Panama Canal was deemed safe, secure, and completely usable. Custer, Bryan, and the barely-functioning Goodyear came down in person for the ribbon-cutting ceremony and official opening, when the R.U.S. Titania (the same ship that participated in the false-flag operation against Mexico) would be the first ship to sail through from the Atlantic into the Pacific. The construction would continue for years, building up concrete walls and such. It became Custer's favorite pet project, and he sunk more pork in it every time he could.

princeofwaleedward.jpg

Charles Goodyear II, Secretary of Industrial and Agricultural Affairs

The ceremony was massive, and one of the first to be captured on a new invention called the "motion picture camera." The Union press was there in full force, too, taking thousands of photos up and down the canal. All the workers were chased away by police and soldiers days before the ceremony, so the press only got pictures of the Great White Chief standing over his masterpiece with his New Englander cohorts. Warren G. Harding was there, too, railing against the "sluggard Mexies" and their "poor work ethics." Several miles off in the jungle, a huge mass grave held many of the bodies of the dead laborers.

Things at the Canal went into full operation in mid-1900. As the world welcomed a new century, they also "welcomed" a new Great Power to the world stage, the fascist Republican Union.

panama_canal06.jpg

A Prussian trade ship sails through the Panama Canal, circa 1900

THE R.U. INVASION OF HAWAII AND PACIFICATION OF THE PACIFIC

sesq1annexation_b.jpg

Manifest Destiny Party Zealots rally outside the Hawaiian royal palace

Since 1895, when the Hawaiian army had overthrown Queen Liliʻuokalani, Hawaii had been in a permanent quagmire of feuding politicians and military officers, but was slowly recovering. France announced it recognized the newly-elected Hawaiian Congress in 1899, but the Republican Union would have none of it.

Colonialism and Imperialism was strictly forbidden by the R.U. Constitution, but annexation and the formation of "military territories and occupation zones" was allowed if it meant "the securing of the nation's borders and destiny." Thus, Custer said his newly-declared war on Hawaii was deemed to be doing both.

In early 1900, the Union shipped 9,000 soldiers and "MDP Zealots" (actually private soldiers serving only Custer) through the Panama Canal, as well as an "aerofleet" comprised of eight heavy assault airships and a squadron of small, 10-man scout "blimps." They wasted no time terrifying Hawaii into submission.

On April 10th, the heavy assault airship Gustavus Adolphus commenced bombardment on Honolulu while marines established a beachhead and built Coffee Grinder nests. Over 400 Hawaiian soldiers and militias were ruthlessly mowed down and several dozen islanders were killed as "collateral damage." The marines pummeled the remaining fragments of the meager Hawaiian army and seized control of the 'lolani Palace, lined up the Congress against the back wall, and then opened fire with a Coffee Grinder, exactly as had been done in Mexico. The former queen and her family were tracked down and brutally murdered by ORRA men armed with swords.

US%20troops%20in%20action%20vs%20Filipinos%201899.jpg

American troops in Hawaii

ORRA had wasted no time in setting up "offices," and they then started rounding up Catholics (a fairly large amount were in Hawaii due to French influence). While not listed on official records, most of the Catholics were taken out in the jungle and shot, and their bodies dumped in a ravine later known by islanders as "Murder Ridge." Evangelists were sent in to convert the pagan islanders, which worked quite well. By 1902, a majority of "yellow" Hawaiians identified as members of the American Fundamentalist Christian Church. A massive church was built in Honolulu, and the old Catholic buildings were blown to rubble. Charles Goodyear II came and personally oversaw the occupational process, until Hawaii made the jump to from "Occupational Zone" to "Union Territory" in 1908 (the same year that the Central American regions did the same).

The Union celebrated the defeat of the "yellow pagan Inferior monarchy" by setting off fireworks and waving flags, and above all sending "fan-mail" to Custer. The Consul was thrilled with the latest events, and immediately shipped more men to the Pacific to "pacify" it. He declared all the little islands and kingdoms and atolls would be conquered by the Republican Union as part of its "manifest destiny to secure its future." Over the next few years, the Union Navy took one island group after another. One of the most important was Polynesia and, which had already been claimed by Peru. Secretary of War Warren G. Harding told Peru to "back the Hell down or we'll send you to Hell, by golly." Peru backed down. After that tense stand-off, the Union went on to take all of the South Pacific. Finally, the Dutch government told the Union any further western expansion in the Pacific would mean hostilities with the Dutch and their allies. Thus, the nations created the "Wall of Micronesia," which marked the border between their Pacific empires.

To finalize their authority, the Union conducted huge purges of their new islands, eliminating Catholicism altogether and furthering the AFC faith. In 1908, the same year Hawaii and the Central American regions became Territories, all the non-Hawaiian Pacific islands were declared part of the "Greater American-Pacific Co-Prosperity Sphere" in an attempt to make sure they were not seen as "colonies," which they were.

Nice update. I see that the RU has become the "Japan" of this world, or something like it. But how does the RU, being all the way in New England, control or even get to its Central American and Pacific territories?

Holy Shit the RU is an expy of the axis:eek::eek:

Pretty much! :D

Nice update. I see that the RU has become the "Japan" of this world, or something like it. But how does the RU, being all the way in New England, control or even get to its Central American and Pacific territories?

Danke! I totally saw this question coming, and I realized you could say the same about OTL nations, like Britain and the Netherlands, who controlled colonies thousands of miles away, like British India and Dutch Ceylon. The Union has a good navy by this point, and it's not too far away from Central America if it sails around Florida (plus the ability to use Mexican puppet ports. Thanks to inventions like the telephone, Philadelphia can call orders into C. America, which in turn send out the orders to Hawaii and the other islands. Logistics are key to keeping their affairs running smoothly. Plus brutality. A lot of that. :p

Pretty much! :D

Danke! I totally saw this question coming, and I realized you could say the same about OTL nations, like Britain and the Netherlands, who controlled colonies thousands of miles away, like British India and Dutch Ceylon. The Union has a good navy by this point, and it's not too far away from Central America if it sails around Florida (plus the ability to use Mexican puppet ports. Thanks to inventions like the telephone, Philadelphia can call orders into C. America, which in turn send out the orders to Hawaii and the other islands. Logistics are key to keeping their affairs running smoothly. Plus brutality. A lot of that. :p
Ah. I see. Here's hoping that Maryland joins Virginia, and then they go and conquer and annex the RU. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen, but the thing is, if they weren't so dang racist, I would actually be rooting for the RU! :eek:

Any chance that the Republican Union realizes that differences between Melanesians, Micronesians, and Polynesians and, perhaps because of good memories from some sailors, consider them to be an excellent servent race who just need enough food to be cheery and bring plates laden with fruit drinks to their 'betters'? I also suggest something with the Guano Islands, as there is a distinctive chance that they will not want to sell the stuff from Chile.