Alternate world Propaganda

Wow, so Spanish is your native language? I would never have guessed.

That Deseretian writing is awesome. :D I've never seen it used in AH before.

Here's a new one:

9289282139_6b7481fabe_o.png

"Carolinians! Every day ya'll take off and drink a cold one on your veranda gives Billy Yank and his Uncle Sam a big ol' break! Work harder! More production! This war can't be won if we're all sittin' on our hind ends!"

Once I saw that picture, I knew I had to say it was a southerner. :D:p "Billy Yank" in the lower half is giving the Romanic Salute the Union's been using since the 1840s (it's different from a "heil" in that they bang their fist against their chests Ben-Hur style before raising their hand).

9289513191_58d8b09413_z.jpg

"While Billy Yank is out fighting and dying in the Smokey Mountains and and the Appalachians, restoring our dear, sweet America, what are YOU doing? Are you drinking a cup of hot JOE? Billy Yank needs that, YOU DESPICABLE RACE-TRAITOR! Put that mug DOWN, and DONATE your coffee supply to Billy Graham's Crusade for Freedom and Bond Drive or your local Recruiting Station!"

:D

Last edited:
I have a question : Which country uses the "He's watching you !" poster (the one with Chuck Oswald wearing sunglasses) ? It was posted back many pages ago. My personal tip back when I started collecting the TL's artworks on the wiki was Virginia. Naturally, I could be totally wrong about this...

The poster says:
"Our guns await..."
"Bring it on, Godless Yanks!"

As you can see, it's war propaganda. Extremely defiant against the oncoming American onslaught, bent on taking all of North America, whether they want it or not. To be honest, I could have done better, but the lack of Deseret font faces kinda doesn't help at all on my goal.

You certainly are creative ! :eek: :) I didn't even know the Mormons had developed their own alphabet in OTL.

OK, to get stuff for my Sparrow Avengers setting going again, I'll slightly jump ahead to the end of the alternate 1930s and show you this lovely cautionary poster. Published by the Ministry of War of the Czech-Moravian-Silesian Republic in the last few months and weeks leading up to the start of the alternate Second World War. The poster warns the citizens of the Czech lands from the agression, espionage and skulduggery of the Fascist German Reich, the Falangist Free State of Silesia, and by extension, Fascist Italy, Falangist Spain and Integralist Brazil.

Propaganda ČMSR v predvečer druhej svetovej.png

Translation (from Czech):

"THEY ARE WATCHING US

Don't allow yourself to be fooled by them
Don't reveal a single word to them
Don't give them an inch of land

AND OUR TRUTH WILL TRIUMPH !
"

:D

The last sentence is a deliberate nod to the classic patriotic motto of the Czech lands - "Truth will triumph !" (or, "Truth will prevail !"). ;)

Last edited:
And, to show some more upbeat and chronologically earlier 1930s propaganda of the CMSR, here's a recruting poster for their proud and well-kept air force.

It still needs some minor graphical tweaking, which I will do sometime in the future, but for now, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. My sincere apologies to whoever did the awesome Crimson Skies illustration I used for the background. Kudos to you, dear artist ! Also : Dave McCoy and Jordan Weisman, please don't sue, I won't publish this poster anywhere, promise. :eek: ;) :)

OK, back to the content of the poster. It shows quite a bit of the usual "our air force is awesome" bragging, though with the well-known twist of "but it means nothing if we won't have the manpower to run it, so please enlist, men and women, young and old...". :p

Náborový plagát vzdušných síl ČMSR.jpg

Translation:

"We have the aircraft.
We have the zeppelins.
We have the AA guns.
We have the airbases.
We have the munitions.
We have the fuel.

DO YOU HAVE THE COURAGE ?

If yes, enlist in the CMSR Air Force !

Become the knights of the skies !
Help defend our dear homeland from air pirate vermin !
"

Small print at the bottom of the poster :

"Poster published by: The Ministry of War
Publication date: April 1935
"

Last edited:
I have a question : Which country uses the "He's watching you !" poster (the one with Chuck Oswald wearing sunglasses) ? It was posted back many pages ago. My personal tip back when I started collecting the TL's artworks on the wiki was Virginia. Naturally, I could be totally wrong about this...

I didn't even know the Mormons had developed their own alphabet in OTL.

Yeah, probably Virginia.

I know right? I only had read about the alphabet once. I'm quite surprised more AH's haven't used it.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia on the Deseret Alphabet. Not quite complete, but close enough for the basics.

Wow, so Spanish is your native language? I would never have guessed.

That Deseretian writing is awesome. :D I've never seen it used in AH before.
Yea, one of the tiny nitpicks that people tend to forget about the Mormons if they end up separating in a "Divided U.S. scenario". Seriously, this alphabet (and the Shavian) needs more love.

And yes, Spanish is my native language. While it gives me a lot of issues in regards to ATL terms (namely, it isn't as easy to craft new words as in English), it's overall less annoying to handle tenses in it.
You certainly are creative ! :eek: :) I didn't even know the Mormons had developed their own alphabet in OTL.
Thanks! :D It's quite an incentive for me to be said that. :cool:

As for the Deseret Alphabet, IOTL the mormons developed it at some point, more for cultural and educational reasons, as they did intend it to switch over from the Latin Alphabet to the Deseret alphabet. Even recent converts noted that it was quite easy to learn (once you get past of the somewhat unorthodox letter shapes) in comparison of having to struggle with bizarre diphthongs in English. However, they abandoned the project as the costs to print a book or a small library in said alphabet (due to low readership and small amount of type foundries that could make them) were way too high.

However, as I mentioned earlier, in this timeline of mine, they do develop the Deseret alphabet further, with some help of the Imperials in Mexico. Mostly as a way to further spite the guys at Washington about the Papist Indians in Mexico stirring separatism on their so-called territories (as if they weren't angry enough to lose against Mexico in a rather... interesting way).

9296517353_8e6124344d.jpg

"Lyndon Johnson and his Uncle Sam won't stop till every Catholic in Texas is deader than a door-nail! Enlist in the Georgian Armed Forces and punish the Cowboy fascists!"

9296747797_940dcf5ff6_c.jpg

The new 'S-S' by Hess & Himmler Motorworks is a beauty to be sure! With REAL air-conditioning, heating, surround-sound radio, and more groovy chrome lines on it than you can shake a stick at, this is a car that you can cherish and enjoy for years. Hess & Himmler would also like to announce the purchasing of it's competitor Mengele Motors."

LOL. In all seriousness, I was rather pleased with the logo I came up with for this. It almost looks like it could be a real company. :p

9300129252_ceb1d96041_z.jpg

I downloaded some 1950s fonts. :D This is the result.

"Cokie" in my Madness TL is slang for someone from the Confederation of the Carolinas, since the informal abbreviation for that country is "CoCaro."CoCaro" became morphed into "Cokie" after a while. "Columbia" is the alternate word for the collective Dixieland states in this timeline.

Annnnndddd... ANOTHER. :D I LOVE these new fonts I downloaded. The "Le Prix" and Mai" parts are done in "Sierra Madre" font, which I highly recommend for anything art deco or raygun gothic. It's the same font in the first two Bioshock games.

9297807849_cd56bde39c.jpg

An infamous piece of propaganda published by the Spanish Government in the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attacks, featuring a smiling Caudillo superimposed atop a picture of the wreckage of the U.S.S. Arizona. The Spanish, who'd joined the Axis several months prior to Pearl Harbor, no doubt found great amusement in the fact that the nation that had all but destroyed their navy in 1898 was now the victim of a similar attack. Franco gave a particularly bombastic speech praising the attacks as "punishment for America's cowboy imperialism against Hispanidad."

Franco_Saddam.png

(This poster was inspired by a similar one done by Iraq in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks.)

Last edited:
I downloaded some 1950s fonts. :D This is the result.

"Cokie" in my Madness TL is slang for someone from the Confederation of the Carolinas, since the informal abbreviation for that country is "CoCaro."CoCaro" became morphed into "Cokie" after a while. "Columbia" is the alternate word for the collective Dixieland states in this timeline.
Very nice. What fonts are you using?