"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

Read the last two updates, and its great as always. :D Clever how you had Custer seizing power, and with ORRA founded, I can tell shit has really hit the fan. Not like it already hasn't, it's just getting even worse. :eek:

I liked the chapter of the Bonapartes and European royal families as well. I may have to make a family tree of TTL's Bonapartes just so no one gets confused. Its a bit hard to keep track of by this point.

Last edited:
Read the last two updates, and its great as always. :D Clever how you had Custer seizing power, and with ORRA founded, I can tell shut has really hit the fan. Not like it already hasn't, it's just getting even worse. :eek:

I liked the chapter of the Bonapartes and European royal families as well. I may have to make a family tree of TTL's Bonapartes just so no one gets confused. Its a bit hard to keep track of by this point.

Thanks, Zoid! And it will get worse, just you wait and see. :eek: At least Custer has *some* sense of right and wrong, however xenophobic and such, for instance calling out Burr III on his fraud, so he's totally against that (after all, why does Custer need to cheat if he's by far more popular, just like when he ran against Burr III?). He genuinely think he's doing the right thing for the country. Other Consuls might not have that sense of justice at all. :eek: William Jennings Bryan, for instance, is most likely going to be a malicious cad.

By all means, do a family tree if you want! I'd love that, and you're right, it would come in handy. :cool:

ENGLAND AND RUSSIA
348px-Randolph_Churchill_in18830001.jpg

Randolph Henry Spencer-Churchill, 1st Lord Marlborough, President of the English Commonwealth

England in the year 1892 was a frightening place. Czar Alexander had been succeeded by his son Viktor (in England known as Prince Victor) in 1890, and in 1892 Queen Victoria died. Alexander and Victoria's romance had been highly unusual and unnatural, with each remaining sovereign of their own nations, with their own denominations, and each were the others' consort. Many saw the train wreck their deaths would cause coming from a long way away, almost as soon as they were married. Now, in 1892, the death of Victoria sent shock-waves through Europe. Viktor, as soon as he had ascended the throne in Russia, had immediately launched a war against Persia and China. He had subjugated the Afghan and Baluchistan regions through brute force and genocide, fighting his way down to coastline along the Gulf of Oman. He had begun pogroms against Jews that happened in the heart of Moscow. He was being called the Second Ivan the Terrible, and on no conditions were the English going to submit to his rule.

On December 2nd, 1892, two weeks after Victoria's death, the National Republican Congress met in London. At their head was Lord Randolph Churchill. He wasn't charismatic, but he knew how to get things done. He and the other Congress leaders prepared to declare an English republic, and they sent a request for support to the aging Napoleon II. The Bonapartes had hated and protested the awkward marriage of Russia and England, and they saw that now was the perfect time to annul it completely. France agreed to block Russia from trying to attack once Churchill announced the formation of the new government. On January 24th, 1892, the English monarchy was declared dissolved and dead, and the republic or commonwealth was declared. Crowds in London cheered and celebrated, saying it was long overdue and should have been done following George IV's fratricidal act decades before.

In Moscow, however, the people were singing a different tune. 51 year-old Czar Viktor was livid, and he swore he would "wipe out traitorous London to the last man, woman, and child." His loyalists in England immediately started opening fire on anti-Russian crowds and tried to storm the Congress.

France, meanwhile, sailed its North Atlantic Fleet into the Kattegat. Sweden was outraged at first, but once it realized its old nemesis Russia was up to something, the Swedish navy put out to sea and joined the peaceful blockade. With no where to go without going to war with France and Sweden, Viktor struggled with what to do. His only route for getting his navy out of the Baltic and over to subjugate England was blocked, and he would almost certainly lose in a war against France and Sweden, plus all the others who would certainly get in on it. For several weeks, the Russian Imperial Navy floated on the water, staring at the other navies (Denmark-Norway and also joined the blockade), waiting to see if the Pax Napoleonica would be broken.

BL_4_inch_naval_gun_1890sClipped.jpg

Russian Imperial sailors load a deck gun, in case hostilities commenced (1893)

Rumors had it that Viktor had indeed finally lost his mind completely and that he was going to attack the fleets gathered in the Baltic, essentially opening up the possibility of plunging the entire world into the deadliest conflict in history.

At last, the time ran out for the Mad Czar to do anything. On May 1st, 1893, officers of the Russian Imperial Army marched into the Winter Palace and shot him twenty times in his bedroom. The witnesses said Viktor "was like he was possessed by Satan himself" and was "frothing at the mouth and cursing in three different languages." He allegedly tried to strangle some of the soldiers, even though he was already shot numerous times in the chest, and it took the rest of the bullets to finally finish him. The picture of the bloody room only was captured in a single photograph, and it was printed by the tens of thousands in all newspapers in the world. When a photo was released of Viktor's and one of his generals' bodies lying in a dirty pit awaiting burial, it was even more shocking. The bodies had been stripped of all decoration and put in civilian clothes, making the dead men look like any deceased thugs (as was the purpose of the propaganda).

ed5article5illustration3.jpg

nychistory_042512~5.jpg

Russia's military took no time in declaring that they were now launching a full coup and a military junta. The leading officers sent a letter of congratulations and friendliness to Churchill's government, saying that Russia officially recognized the English Commonwealth and that Russia hoped to follow the same path.

attachment.php

Flag of the Commonwealth of England

The junta faced severe problems, however. Chief of these was the large amount of Imperial loyalists who believed it immoral and a rejection of God's will to murder or execute a monarch, no matter the reason. When some of the loyalists announced they were going to Karelia to declared a counter-revolution centered around Czar Viktor's only child Catherine. She shocked the world, though, by fleeing to Prussia and rejecting all offers of the throne. She said that the monarchy had run its course and had eaten itself alive and did not deserve to exist. Impressed, the junta sought to bring about peace by putting forward an offer to become Russia's first Prime Minister, a mainly ceremonial role that would be hereditary. A yet-to-be-elected President would be the real leader. She accepted, and an uneasy truce began to form in Karelia. Sporadic fighting still continued for years, but the Imperials knew their cause was lost.

Catherine arrived in St. Petersburg on May 1st of 1894, precisely a year after her father's deposing, and officially and legally refuted all claims to monarchical power. She was then sworn in as Prime Minister. Recently-elected President Aleksey Kuropatkin looked on with approval. A disastrous civil war and fracturing had been avoided, and Catherine was proclaimed "Catherine the Liberator," or "Lady Liberty."

Tatianalancers.jpg

Prime Minister Catherine Romanov wearing parade dress, 1900

Later claims that she had ordered the murder of her father were, of course, denied. Of course.

attachment.php

Seal of the Republic of Russia

Back in England, the Parliament had been done away with in favor of a Congressional system. The English Senate and House of Lords checked the President in what they thought was a well thought-out system. President Churchill's Charter of England, which was supposed to limit government power, would later be abused by his own half-American son, Winston. Winnie had been partially educated at Princeton, Harvard, and the University of Shicagwa in the 1890s during Custer's Rise to Power, and his time in the Union had... an unfortunate effect upon his political and moral thinking...

Last edited:
This chapter is written in a special style for this special occasion. And we're going back to 1890 in the R.U. because I didn't want to blow this plot point until the last chapter I posted. I especially think you'll enjoy Harding's "THAT'S WHAT!" speech. :D This is also the first mention of Joe Steele.

MARCH 5TH, 1890...
2163771218_9bf56a8be3.jpg

They waved the flag of the Old Republic in an almost crazed manner. Others struck up the chant of "USA! RU! USA! RU! USA!" and "All Hail the Union! All Hail Custer! All Hail the People!" Others just sat quietly, clapping every so often. One thing was true for the men and women gathered at the Coliseum, Shicagwa's largest meeting place: all were overflowing with patriotism. Hundreds upon hundreds of people flocked in to hear Custer and Bryan speak. Some wore normal clothes, others wore the militia uniforms typical among Manifest Destiny Party zealots.

In the crowd was a pointy-faced young man from England. His hair was slicked back, and his long-tailed suit and top hat showed his wealth. His name was Winston Churchill, and he was on an educational trip to the Union. His father was the 7th Lord of Marlborough, and his mother was a native New Yorker. Needless to say, it was his mother who thought it a good idea to send him to America when he turned 16.

It was while studying political philosophy at the University of Shicagwa that his roommate Calvin Coolidge, two years his senior, had told him about Custer's rallies. Up to this time, Churchill was immensely bored by politics, and wanted to be an author and philosopher or perhaps a psychologist. "Cool Cal" was a popular man on campus, though, and anything he said was taken as something of value. Winston donned that suit of his and accompanied Coolidge to the Coliseum. Churchill was awe-struck by the sight that greeted him. Dozens of Manifest Destiny Party guards were singing "Bringing in the Sheaves" and it soon spilled over into the crowd lining up to get inside. When Winston asked what the song meant, Coolidge informed him it was one of General Custer's favorite songs. Adrenaline took over, and Coolidge began singing the song at the top of his lungs. Shocked, Winston found himself going along with the crowd and singing it in his heavily-English accent. When the song had ended, Winston and Coolidge and the rest of the crowd marched inside and took their seats. Coolidge was wearing a red, white, and blue cockade in his bowler hat at this point, and he offered one to Churchill, who put it on the band of his top hat.

William Jennings Bryan took to the podium and began speaking, but only after young MDP militia leader Warren G. Harding had harangued the crowd for twenty minutes, whipping them into a frenzy. Churchill said he was almost trampled at one point by the people surging forward when Harding lifted an actual Old Republic flag from Revolutionary War over his head.

"This flag flew at Valley Forge! This flew over your great-grandfathers as they fought off Redcoat Tyranny! This flag, by golly, belonged to none other than Aaron Burr I, founder of our faith! This flew over Reverend Burr's regiment when Captain Arnold leaped in front of him, saving the Reverend's life and dying for him! This was touched by American Fundamentalist Christianity's first MARTYR and his BLOOD!" bellowed Harding.

9273429081_a034c65453_z.jpg

The Valley Forge "Blood-Stained Banner"

"All hail Patriot Comrade Arnold! God Bless Benedict Arnold, Savior of our Reverend!" the crowd screamed.

"All Hail the Blood-Stained Banner!" shrieked Harding as he waved it reverently over his head. "Stained by the blood of patriot comrades who sought to establish AMERICAN FREEDOM AND UNION! Their blood watered the tree of liberty! And they spilled the blood of the Imperialist oppressors! And then, those DAMNED SOUTHRON TRAITORS ripped our UNION APART! When the pseudo-monarchist traitors Adam and Hamilton humiliated our country in front of the entire world with their SIN and the people of the North fought and bled against their loyalist PIGS, what DID the SOUTH DO? They pulled the hell out, THAT'S WHAT! They STABBED US IN THE BACK, THAT'S WHAT! And by golly we aren't going to forget or forgive what those HILLBILLIES did to us. And what did they do when the British TYRANTS came back for MORE in the War of 1812? They left us to DIE, THAT'S WHAT! Our cities burned, our men died, and our women and children starved as the HILLJACK Canucks and arrogant British marched over our sacred, God-given lands and set us back FOR GENERATIONS! And what did our Imperialist, Papist 'allies' in Paris do? What did Old Boney DO? He who promised to come to our aid? HE LEFT US TO ROT, THAT'S WHAT! And now, my Christian brothers and sisters, the Manifest Destiny Party has come. We are the ones who will be strong! We are the ones who will call the shots! Because when YOU vote for Custer and Bryan, YOU vote for AMERICAN SUPREMACY! You vote for AMERICAN FREEDOM! You vote for AMERICAN JUSTICE! You vote for AMERICA'S REVENGE! ALL HAIL THE REPUBLIC! ALL HAIL ALL PATRIOT COMRADES! ALL HAIL THE PEOPLE!" Harding's spittle practically pooled on the podium and he thumped his chest and raised his hand in a Roman Salute. The nearby militia band struck up Yankee Doodle on fifes and drums.

The crowd was going nuts. Churchill and Coolidge could barely even stay on their feet as the crowd surged forward again to salute "Patriot Comrade Harding" as he took his seat behind the podium and cleared the way for William Jennings Bryan.

It was then that Churchill noticed a young boy, about 12 years-old, on the stage, wearing a replica of a cavalry uniform and with a spiked pith helmet on his head. Churchill remembered who it was after a few seconds. It was Custer's adopted son Matthew Custer. It was a popular story in the Union how Custer had found a newborn baby in a basket near his home, and he had taken him in as "the loving father" he always wanted to be (Custer's wife died in childbirth, and he had never married again to focus on politics). Little did anyone know Custer also had numerous illegitimate children by at least seven different women.

When everything was over and done, Winston's views on politics were dramatically shaken. He no longer considered politics boring, and he was thoroughly convinced the complaints the Manifest Destiny Party had were legitimate and understandable.

"When I heard Harding and William Jennings Bryan's magnificent speeches in Shicagwa, I felt something magic in the air. The Coliseum there was a smashingly exciting place to be! Before I listened to Harding and Bryan, governments bored me completely. But by participating in the rallies all the young men attended at my colleges, something stirred within me. My fate became known to me. I decided to go into Politics."

-Memoirs of Winston Churchill, Oxford Publishing, 1932

young-winston-churchill.jpg

*Matthew Custer is indeed Joe Steele. The name change will be explained later.

Last edited:
I just read the England and Russia update, and well done. Now for some questions.

Will the new Russian Junta end the wars in Persia and Afghanistan?

Would France still be occupying Cornwall if their now on friendly terms with England?

Finally, on a semi related note, should the Tripartite Empire be the Quadripartite Empire instead? Considering that its France, Spain, Austria and Hungary, the latter two which would have been two nations within a dual monarchy already.

Some time later I'll read the latest update. Winston Churchill leading a quasi-fascist England? :eek: Will Oswald Mosley and Lord Haw Haw be in this?

Edit: I almost forgot. Almost ready with the next map, but when does Vermont cease to be an occupied territory and become a state of the RU?

Nice

I have a feeling that the RU will get really and royally screwed
by every civilization on Earth

Danke, and we'll just have to wait and see. They will fall eventually. ;)

I just read the England and Russia update, and well done. Now for some questions.

Will the new Russian Junta end the wars in Persia and Afghanistan?

Would France still be occupying Cornwall if their now on friendly terms with England?

Finally, on a semi related note, should the Tripartite Empire be the Quadripartite Empire instead? Considering that its France, Spain, Austria and Hungary, the latter two which would have been two nations within a dual monarchy already.

Some time later I'll read the latest update. Winston Churchill leading a quasi-fascist England? :eek: Will Oswald Mosley and Lord Haw Haw be in this?

Edit: I almost forgot. Almost ready with the next map, but when does Vermont cease to be an occupied territory and become a state of the RU?

Russia will probably try to hold onto the territory on the Indian Ocean (the Russian people have a LOT invested in the territory they took, and they don't want to make their sacrifices worthless). They probably will withdraw from Persia, though, and go "Woopsies, our apologies. Mad Czar and what-not." :p

That's an excellent point about Cornwall. Maybe to celebrate the new government, France will offer the territory up (maybe Napoleon III does it as a good-will gesture?). I really like that idea. France is about to pull its peacekeepers out of Finland, too, just like Napoleon II and Kaiser Wilhelm agreed to years ago.

I thought about the number of empires in the Empire, and thought three was the best way to go. Since whoever is emperor of Austria is "King of Hungary," that means Hungary is not an empire, but Austria-Hungary is. Napoleon III has the crowns of Austria-Hungary, the Imperial Austrian one representing kingship over Hungary. Good question, though! I'm glad I got a chance to explain that.

I'm not actually sure who will be in the future English government. Mosley has a chance. Not sure about anyone else (massive butterflies kill quite a lot of people by the 1920s-30s-40s.

I've been thinking about Vermont, too. I'll say they've been under military governorship in the next chapters, and eventually a Union Territory. Then, once the Union acquires another state, they also admit Vermont finally. Of course, partly I'm doing that because the R.U. flag will look stupid with a single star added to the rows. :p

Thanks for answering my questions Napo. A very good explanation for the Tripartite Empire especially. :cool:

I have one more question. Do you mind If I put this timeline/story onto a PDF file? I'll probably only post it when its finished, but its your call.

Thanks for answering my questions Napo. A very good explanation for the Tripartite Empire especially. :cool:

I have one more question. Do you mind If I put this timeline/story onto a PDF file? I'll probably only post it when its finished, but its your call.

'Welcome!

Sounds fine to me! What does a PDF file entail exactly? Is it just saving it on your computer or something? I'm not good with technology. :p

Hmm, on one hand, the English Commonwealth strikes me as awesome* and fills me with optimism, but then again there's that godd**ned RUA striking up the ol' jingoism (with a Churchill possibly at or near the helm, no less). Dangit, but I wanna see what happens next!

*Not that I have a problem with the British monarchy particularly, just monarchies in general :p

Hmm, on one hand, the English Commonwealth strikes me as awesome* and fills me with optimism, but then again there's that godd**ned RUA striking up the ol' jingoism (with a Churchill possibly at or near the helm, no less). Dangit, but I wanna see what happens next!

*Not that I have a problem with the British monarchy particularly, just monarchies in general :p
Hey, if not for Cromwell's religious tolerance he would have made a decent role model for the enlightened despots that are becoming common here.

I'm already writing the next chapter. :D

Stalin jokes already?

I didn't make any jokes in his introduction, but I assure you there will be lots of them in the future.

8431086554_6f7281534a.jpg

:p

THE MEXICAN-AMERICAN WAR
"The Mexies want a fight? Well, by golly, Billy Yank and his Uncle Sam are gonna give it to 'em!"
- R.U. Sec. of War Warren G. Harding
sunsoldiers.jpg

In the winter of 1896, Custer and Bryan were worried about their popularity. The economy had picked up, but the public had been given promises about Union supremacy over their neighbors. Not a single soldier had fired a shot in the term so far. Custer realized what he needed to do: he needed to start a war. Not just any war, though. He could have it easily with the Columbian nations, or the Tripartite Empire, but he would lose. No, he needed a sure victory. He needed a war that would "be over by Christmas." He saw his target on the map immediately: the Confederated Empire of Mexico.

Mexico had, since the 1840s, been in a dire position. It started when France had beaten them decisively in an undeclared war for California. Then, when Emperor de Iturbide had died in 1853, a long series of generals had put themselves on the throne, only to be murdered or exiled in short order. In 1896, Mexico was falling apart. Custer saw it was his time to strike. But he needed an excuse to invade, and he saw exactly what it was going to be.

On January 15th, 1897, Custer sent an offer to the Mexican government to buy Panama for 50 million dollars. Unsurprisingly, Mexico rejected this offer. Custer, who already had the Union Navy on stand-by in the Gulf, then moved the R.U.S. Titania down near the Panamanian coast in the Gulf of Mosquitoes. The Titania was ordered to steam close to the Mexican ironclad squadron and flash a code to exchange news, as was common between international ships in this period, as they were deprived of instant land communication. During the routine event, an explosion went off on the back deck of the Titania. The crew instantly moved into action, opening fire on the outdated ironclads with heavy deck artillery and machine gun turrets. Within twenty minutes, nine ironclads were sinking beneath the waves and eight more were abandoned as the terrified and confused Mexican sailors dived overboard and swam for their lives. The massacre continued as the rest of the Union fleet trapped the rest of the fleeing ironclad squadron and destroyed or captured them all. Next came the pathetic wooden reserve ships that Mexico deployed to defend the town of Colon as a last ditch effort. Fifty Mexican ships were destroyed by the end of the day, effectively eliminating the Mexican navy from the Atlantic Ocean. The source of the explosion on the Titania was blamed on "Mexican Inferior Treachery." In reality, Custer had rigged the whole thing from the start with a small stick of TNT just large enough to create a show (no one had even died in the blast).

SuperStock_3039-372175.jpg

The Battle of the Gulf of Mosquito

The Union declared war on Mexico on January 18th, 1897, and it wasted no time in viciously attacking the country. 30,000 soldiers were devoted to storming the two cities Tampico and Cozumel alone, and another 20,000 deployed into Custer's main target: Panama. By end of February, most of the Mexican forces had been driven out of Central America as the new military junta of Mexico tried to gather enough men to defend Mexico City itself. Union general Nelson A. Miles pressed his men forward at an incredible speed and had taken Leon, Teotihuacan, and Pueblo by early April, and had long-range guns firing on Mexico City by June. Union casualties had been minimal, but Mexican deaths (including civilians) numbered somewhere close to 15,000, a staggering number for only a few months.

BloodyFord.jpg

Union troops land in Panama

One of the main reasons for the heavy casualties was the Union deploying its favorite new toy: the Colt Company "Coffee Grinder" Gun. The Colt Coffee Grinder could fire 500 rounds per minute and was fed ammunition through 250-round canvas belts. When a Mexican horse charge tried to break up a group of Union engineers digging a trench near Pueblo, a Coffee Grinder, hidden in some nearby trees, opened fire, annihilating every man in the 200-man cavalry group.

u-s-army-1911-maneuvers-in-texas-maxim-machine-gun-crew.jpg

Colt Company "Coffee Grinder" being manned by Union troops near the Mexican city of Puebla
dead_horses.jpg

The Mexican Cavalry lay slaughtered

On July 4th, 1897, General Nelson Miles commenced a full attack on Mexico City. US troops entered the city before noon, and commenced with mass executions of the Mexican government. Every politician who could be found was put to the sword. The Coffee Grinders came in especially handy for this, as they mowed down whole wagon-loads of prisoners. The Mexican people hated the Union, but every attempt during the entire war to fight back or join a resistance movement always ended the same: with dead Mexicans and a Coffee Grinder. The Union had full control of the city by the 8th, when the last group of Mexican soldiers surrendered. Huge detention facilities were set up to throw the most problematic citizens in (though most of these were usually executed) and the surrendered soldiers (who were treated half-way decently).

Custer wasn't stupid, and he knew he could never hold down Catholic, Inferior-filled Mexico, so he drew up plans to set up a new Mexican government. On August 1st, 1897, he allowed a group of Mexican traitors to proclaim a republic in Mexico City. Next he signed the Treaty of San Antonio (in neutral Texas), which ended the war and forced Mexico to surrender all of Central America, which were broken up into the Union Military Districts of Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama, and forced Mexico to pay 20 million dollars in reparations for over the course of the next ten years. The Union government, though, agreed to keep 5,000 soldiers in Mexico City at a permanent "embassy" to defend the Mexican puppet government from any future attempts at revolution.

Back in the Union, the government's popularity exploded. Upon the initial declaration of war, tens of thousands of Philadelphians rallied at Independence Hall and sang songs and waved flags. When the news came of the complete and total victory months later, the whole Union broke out into rallies and celebration. Fireworks were set off non-stop, guns were fired in the air, and huge parades occurred all over the country.

"I felt like my country was actually back on its feet. For the first time since Vermont, the Republican Union has conquered by the sword and laid utter waste to our enemies. The treachery of the Mexican Inferiors in the Gulf of Mosquitoes was justly and righteously punished by First Chief Consul Custer. From that point on, we knew the Manifest Destiny Party was invincible, and here to stay."
Memoirs of a Patriot, Warren G. Harding, 1936

Now things are rolling. Maryland still needs a colony of their own, though. Perhaps the Kingdom of California?

Indeed. :D Maryland is more like a Free State, of sorts, so they probably won't get a colony, unless Virginia gives them some little slice of some future conquest. They're very tiny, too, so they probably wouldn't want to take troops out to secure any colonies with the insane crazyland R.U. expanding like in the last chapter.

Indeed. :D Maryland is more like a Free State, of sorts, so they probably won't get a colony, unless Virginia gives them some little slice of some future conquest. They're very tiny, too, so they probably wouldn't want to take troops out to secure any colonies with the insane crazyland R.U. expanding like in the last chapter.
Since they have so many sailors just give them a Treaty Port or Settlement in China, Korea, or Japan like the Austrians, Belgians, and Italians had. Heck, why not give them a de facto economic alliance with the Sultan of Sulu or Brunei. After all, just because the area has an orange outline doesn't mean the Dutch can keep out the word of better offers being leaked in. The Dutch needed the local kings for labor and order, after all. Jeju from Korea or Okinawa would also work. Bonin Islands were also first discovered IOTL by Americans before the Japanese came in and annexxed the lily white islands so they are options. Same with the outer Hawaiin Islands and anything discovered by the shipwrecked.