Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
Is difference in timeframe (thus more time for polishing, etc.) the only difference between MotF and MotM?

The longer entry period is the only difference at the moment, yes. There may be some differences in how the voting works (since there may be more than 20 entrants, so we'd need more than one thread) and I might make special awards for second and third place, but the entry period length is the main thing - it's meant to allow people with less free time to enter. :)

The longer entry period is the only difference at the moment, yes. There may be some differences in how the voting works (since there may be more than 20 entrants, so we'd need more than one thread) and I might make special awards for second and third place, but the entry period length is the main thing - it's meant to allow people with less free time to enter. :)

What if we hypothetically got 5 people with 10 votes each and 5 with fewer votes to different degrees, would they get a Joint Reward or would we have a runoff election?

Krall

Banned
What if we hypothetically got 5 people with 10 votes each and 5 with fewer votes to different degrees, would they get a Joint Reward or would we have a runoff election?

If the winner is tied we'd have a Map Duel for Honour and Glory with a runoff election, if the second or third places are tied I think I'd just give them joint awards.

We could always do the vote "manually" in the thread (like how I did the Moderator Election), or we could use a site like this. More than one poll thread would be kind of...weird, since everyone can basically vote twice.

Krall

Banned
We could always do the vote "manually" in the thread (like how I did the Moderator Election), or we could use a site like this. More than one poll thread would be kind of...weird, since everyone can basically vote twice.

I imagine a lot less people will vote if we do it "manually" or use an external site. When I said that the voting would be different I meant that it would have to be different because having several voting threads, but still allowing one vote in each thread would allow people to vote several times - the actual difference would be that we would make the polls multiple choice, so instead of people voting once on each poll, they vote for all the entries that they liked, which essentially eliminates that problem. Er, if that makes sense - I think I may have explained that weirdly. :eek:

I imagine a lot less people will vote if we do it "manually" or use an external site. When I said that the voting would be different I meant that it would have to be different because having several voting threads, but still allowing one vote in each thread would allow people to vote several times - the actual difference would be that we would make the polls multiple choice, so instead of people voting once on each poll, they vote for all the entries that they liked, which essentially eliminates that problem. Er, if that makes sense - I think I may have explained that weirdly. :eek:

Oh, that makes sense.

Maybe we'd have a runoff, then?

Krall

Banned
I think he means that if we got more than twenty entries, we could run half of them in one poll and half in another, and then run the winners of each poll off against one another.

Oh, I see.

The idea is to allow for a multichoice poll, where you can select as many entries as you like - even all of them, if you so wish - so there'd be no issue with people having more than one vote, as everyone would be able to vote for all the entries that they liked. Votes in different polls would be counted as though it was all one, big poll, if that makes sense. :)

Oh, I see.

The idea is to allow for a multichoice poll, where you can select as many entries as you like - even all of them, if you so wish - so there'd be no issue with people having more than one vote, as everyone would be able to vote for all the entries that they liked. Votes in different polls would be counted as though it was all one, big poll, if that makes sense. :)

It does make sense, but then you've got to make sure that everyone votes in both threads :) (Unless they only want to vote for entries/an entry that're/'s in one thread.)

Krall

Banned
It does make sense, but then you've got to make sure that everyone votes in both threads :) (Unless they only want to vote for entries/an entry that're/'s in one thread.)

Well I'll bump both and put a big link to the other thread in the opening post. Hopefully that'll make sure most people know there are two threads and that they can vote in both.

Krall

Banned
As many of you know the voting for MotF 80 is over! And has been for about three weeks... sorry about that. Anyway, award time!

aoGMwoO.png

Nanwe's entry shows an alternate Iberian peninsula, where Portugal's bid for dynastic independence from Spain failed, resulting in a united Iberia.

Save for some hints about the later fate of Spain and its colonial empire, Nanwe doesn't give many details about the history, but their map itself is amazing to behold. With great colour choice and uncluttered-yet-detailed design of this calibre, it's surprising to note that this is Nanwe's first entry into the MotF contest. This amazing map more than earned Nanwe this Honoured Victory - well done! :)

QTd9xxF.png

In Alex Richards' map Greece has been fractured by an alternate Mongol invasion. After being dominated by foreign powers for some time, Romanticism brings a wave of nationalism to the myriad of Greek states, who unite in a confederation against their mutual foes. As the 19th century draws to a close this confederation has grown significantly, and has its eyes set on ancient Constantinople.

Alex's map depicts the expansion of the Imperial Confederation of Hellas over the years, providing plenty of detail on both it and its neighbours. The detail of both the description and the map - as well as the good design of the latter - made Alex Richards' entry a favourite of many, and earned him this Honourable Mention.

T08cgzh.png

Vizio's entry shows a world where the Portuguese royal family was captured by French forces before they could flee to their colonies in South America. Without a monarchy to unite them, Portuguese Brazil falls apart into a number of small republics. An authoritarian nationalist movement unites the colonies in the 1950s, but makes some powerful enemies in doing so. By 1961 Brazil is united, but increasing regionalism within and hostility from a variety of countries from without suggests that it will not stay that way.

Vizio's map is relatively simple, but this simply means that it is uncluttered and clean in its design, whilst also being informative regarding the gradual unification of the United Brazilian Republic. This great but simple design and interesting history earned Vizio's entry considerable popularity, and this Honourable Mention.

20vLVQz.png

Reagent's entry shows the Mediterranean in a world where Emperor Maurice was not overthrown, and his plans to have the empire divided peacefully amongst his sons went ahead - apart from the "peacefully" part. Their three maps show the Roman Empire united under Maurice, divided under his sons, and united again under Heraclius; an African noble who overthrew Maurice's son Justin before conquering the other, weakened Roman states.

The maps themselves are well-designed - uncluttered yet aesthetically appealing. This impressive first entry has easily earned Reagent this Honourable Mention.​

Welp, that took a lot longer to write than I thought it would. Sorry again that it's so late - I'm hoping to get back into a routine of updating this contest, announcing awards and so forth. I'm planning to post a new Discussion Thread soon, and post advertising threads soon after that. Hopefully I won't get stressed out and shut down for several days again before I get 'round to that. :eek:

Oh, as you may have noticed I'm using the new award roundels. I'm not 100% sure that they're without errors, so if you notice anything wrong with them please point it out so I can correct it. If you like the new designs, however, please say so - compliments are the fuel that keep my delicious creative juices flowing. :)

...If you like the new designs, however, please say so - compliments are the fuel that keep my delicious creative juices flowing. :)

Congratulations to everyone, plus I love the roundels, Krall. Keep up the good work! And I hope everything's fine or at least better at home!

Krall

Banned
Congratulations to everyone, plus I love the roundels, Krall. Keep up the good work! And I hope everything's fine or at least better at home!

Thanks! :D Everything seems stable at home at the moment - I just need to get into a normal sleeping pattern so I'm not too tired to do stuff all the time. :eek:

Krall

Banned
Would the topic of the current MotM allow for completely alternate countries, such as Borduria or Syldavia?

The MotM challenge would allow for countries that never existed in OTL, but Borduria or Syldavia from Tintin would be ASB unless you can figure out a PoD that could logically result in their existence. :)