Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Republic of Nieuw Zeeland
Formerly Dutch Colony of Nieuw Zeeland

BOR_monarchy.png

WEST TOGOLAND
1884-1914 : Part of German Colony of Togoland (FLAG A)
1914-1915 : During the Great War, invaded by British and French forces
1914-1920 : Partitioned between UK and France, under military rule (FLAG B)
1920-1924 : Nominally under Society of Nations control, British Administration (FLAG C)
1924-1944 : SN mandate to UK, combined with British Gold Coast administratively (FLAG D)
1944 UK founder member of Union of European Nations [UEN]
1944-1965 : SN Mandate assumed by UEN (FLAG E)
1965 Plebiscite rejects union with an independent Ghana [Gold Coast]
1966 Plebiscite rejects union with former French Togo
1967 SN ratifies independent nation of West Togoland
1965-1967 : Flag for interim West Togoland introduce by UEN authorities (FLAG F)
1967 Independent West Togoland adopts its first flag (CHALLENGE ENTRY)
MAP:
(West Togoland in green, Togo in white)
ax16jo.png

FLAG A:
ir2dn7.jpg

FLAG B:
2z59f0k.png

FLAG C:
n5myj5.png

FLAG D:
2u5g66f.png

FLAG E:
2z87z46.png

FLAG F:
2v93vq8.png

THE ENTRY FOR THIS CHALLENGE:
2rdcly1.png

Last edited:
The Commonwealth of Hong Kong.
Formerly the British Overseas Colony of Hong Kong
I'd think that an independent Hong Kong would have some Chinese words in addition to (or in place of) those English ones and also that the dragon would have precedence over the lion (cf. the respective positions of the unicorn and lion on the royal arms of the UK in Scotaland, as shown below).
301lojn.png

Last edited:
You'd have to use Math, I suppose, to bring the height to 300 and still make it proportional.

I've not been following the last several dozen Challenges; is the height rule now standard for all of them?

Indeed. As someone commented earlier it was brought in a few challenges ago to standardise the entry sizes so that they could all be compared more easily and that noone's was overpowered by a giant entry (though in those cases the challenge maker usually resized it anyhow).

In brief it is height 300px for single flag challenges, 150px for multiples. Larger ones can be posted but would not be entered in the voting thread

I'd think that an independent Hong Kong would have some Chinese words in addition to (or in place of) those English ones and also that the dragon would have precedence over the lion (cf. the respective positions of the unicorn and lion on the royal arms of the UK in Scotaland, as shown below).

Interesting point. I think we need The Prof to comment.

Sort of.

It's a matter of resolving the order of inheritance and rank.
For Great Britain Scotland came in the Stuart inheritance first and since both Crowns were technically equal it was set on the LHS.
For Hong Kong you could argue that the British Empire ranks higher thus the British Lion Supporter would take precedence over the Chinese Dragon, unless the Monarch was claiming the Chinese Imperial Throne.

I would agree to the addition of, rather than replacement by, Chinese Characters on its independence - likely pinyin or some variant

Voting Thread for this flag challenge is up. We have ten entries this round.

Cheers xt828!