Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
Well, it's past the original deadline for MotF 79, but I finally got the roundel done! :D

attachment.php

Krall

Banned
Nice Rhodes homage.

Thanks! :D I wanted the image to be something more than just a map, and that particular image seemed to communicate the idea behind the challenge well.

Anyway, we do need to choose a challenge for MotF 80. There are a number of challenge suggestions (including a list I posted - which I'll repost if people want) on the last page, but do feel free to post new suggestions and resuggest old suggestions from in the thread or from the Wiki list. :)

Well, I quite like the idea of:

Risorgimento: An alternate national unification along the lines of Germany or Italy OTL.

but that might be a tad specific, in which case I wouldn't mind Per Astra ad Aspera or This land is ours (map of an international border dispute)

Krall

Banned

Risorgimento: An alternate national unification along the lines of Germany or Italy OTL.

but that might be a tad specific, in which case I wouldn't mind Per Astra ad Aspera or This land is ours (map of an international border dispute)

When you say you support "Per Astra Ad Aspera", do you mean you support the challenge as posted by WeissRaben or a rerun of "Castles Made of Sand" under that name? The only differences are that WeissRaben's version specifies that it must be the "greatest nation in the world" and that the decline must take less than 50 years - neither of which I'm particularly fond of, as they seem unnecessarily restrictive.

And here's the full challenge text for "This Land is Ours":

This Land is Ours

Make a map showing a border dispute between two or more countries.

Krall

Banned
Ah.

I'd prefer the less restrictive rules.

Okey-dokey.

Just so everyone knows, as I announced in the Renaissance thread I'm planning to reverse the decision to allow discussion in the entries threads as of MotF 80. If people disagree with this decision then I won't go ahead with it, but at the moment I've heard no one say it's had good results and it doesn't appear to be stimulating a lot of discussion of the contest entries.

Risorgimento has my support

I think I'll be able to shoe-horn in an entree this round. I'm doing something quite different, and I'm not sure it'll work. Look forward to the power of a Germany which colonizes China and invents the Internet*, though!

Krall

Banned
I think I'll be able to shoe-horn in an entree this round. I'm doing something quite different, and I'm not sure it'll work. Look forward to the power of a Germany which colonizes China and invents the Internet*, though!

That definitely sounds interesting - I'm looking forward to your entry! :)

Now, as some of you may have realised, I've forgotten to announce the winner of MotF 78. I'm afraid I've simply been forgetful the past couple of weeks (hence why the Roundel for MotF 79 was late too), so I apologise. I'll post the announcement some time tomorrow (as in tomorrow tomorrow, not Krall Time tomorrow - which would mean next week :eek: ).

Another thing I'd like to announce is the fact that I'm planning to run the first 4-week long "Map of the Month" contest come this July. The MotM round will start immediately after whatever MotF round ends in July (at the moment that would be MotF 82, which would end on July 6th - if there's an extension between now and then that means MotF 82 would actually start on the 29th of June, in which case we'll just start the MotM contest then instead).

I'm still on the fence as to when to schedule the other one (currently I'm leaning toward January, as it would be at the start of the "MotF year" after the break in December). I'm also unsure of how to choose the challenge for the MotM rounds - we could have them be chosen by vote (yes, with an actual poll and everything), or have them be "Overseer's Choice" and have me pick one. Both of these would allow us to ensure that the challenge is chosen well ahead of time. My birthday's in July, so we could have that round be an "Overseer's Choice" and theme it as "Krall's Birthday Challenge" or something like that, but should the other round be "Overseer's Choice" too, or should it be voted on?

Oh, and keep nominating challenges for MotF 80! MotF 79 only ends in a couple of days! :)

I'd like to do a challenge that's less grandiose for #80, something a little simpler. I'm expressing my full support for:

This Land is Ours …a border dispute between two or more than two nations.

I'll mention it again, since this was a week and a half ago I mentioned this.

This Land is Ours …a border dispute between two or more than two nations.

Krall

Banned
It looks to me like "Risorgimento" is the current favourite - if that's still the case tomorrow then it will be the challenge for MotF 80!

I vote for

A Little-Known Fact

Make a map about a person, place, or idea which is well known in OTL but only a footnote in the world of the map. (The campaigns of Alexander, the king of Macedon who got himself killed at the Granicus, surviving communities of that weird Jewish sect called Christianity, etc.)

Krall

Banned
It looks to me like "Risorgimento" is the current favourite - if that's still the case tomorrow then it will be the challenge for MotF 80!

When I said "tomorrow" I was thinking yesterday was Saturday, whereas it's actually today. :eek: So if "Risorgimento" is the most popular suggestion tomorrow then it will be the challenge for MotF 80.

Also, the voting for MotF 78 is now over!

oWgVTam.png

Martin23230's winning entry depicts the board used for the Imperial German game "Network", which puts players in command of the Imperial rail network in the 1920s following the Great War. The game involves building facilities in different cities in and near Germany and connecting them up via rail. Event cards introduce an element of uncertainty, with occasional War! cards changing the game entirely until the players are able to build the facilities needed to let Germany win the conflict. Players win by having the most capital (money + building values), or all players can win co-operatively in a "Fatherland Victory" by building the facilities needed for Germany to conquer all nearby countries.

Martin only talks about the history of the world briefly, but what he says tells us a lot about the history of this world. "Network" is mentioned as being made in Imperial Germany in the 1970s, and as being popular outside of Germany despite the propaganda common in Imperial games. The game board itself shows us that Germany has annexed Belgium and a slice of eastern France, as well as surrounding itself in allies such as Austria, Lithuania, and a much reduced Poland. From this we can infer that Germany has won the First World War, and has gone on to be a major power opposed to the western powers of the USA, the UK, and France.

These tantalising glimpses into the history of this world add a lot more character to the game. The rules are well thought-out, and honestly make me want to play it for real. The map itself is well made and looks great, too. All in all, Martin23230's entry thoroughly deserves this Honoured Victory. :)

Krall

Banned
And a pleasing draw for second place as well.

Indeed - Jajax's and your maps weren't bad by any means! I couldn't really justify giving either of you Honourable Mentions though, both because you didn't really fit into any of the categories for which I award HMs and because it seems improper to reward *everyone* who entered. :eek: