Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know we had one.

SReagan created the first version along time ago (comprised of just Europe and parts of the United States) and has since then done a bunch of major updates that, along with the input and additions of some others' has lead to the creation of a very good and useful nearly complete topographic CS Basemap.

Like I said, it shows what group is the majority of the country overall; while I do differentiate certain territories in some maps in this one all of the territories of a country are included as a single unit.

According to Statistics New Zealand, their national statistical body, only 51% of births are non-Maori/Islander/Asian. At the census, 47% of Maori did not identify solely as Maori and thus were not counted in that category (NZ handles ethnicity in a weirdly OCD way - if someone identifies as, for example, Maori _and_ European, they get their own box to tick that is neither Maori nor European) on the census. The NZ census results for Maori record only those who put "Maori only" as their response. Based on those figures, under the broader definitions accepted elsewhere, Maori would represent between 25% and 30% of the population, and in addition to that there is about 10% Pacific Islander and 10% Asian. As that puts solely European at a very slim majority if not a plurality, and "Oceanic" as the next largest at around 35-40% I think NZ ought to be striped.

According to Statistics New Zealand, their national statistical body, only 51% of births are non-Maori/Islander/Asian. At the census, 47% of Maori did not identify solely as Maori and thus were not counted in that category (NZ handles ethnicity in a weirdly OCD way - if someone identifies as, for example, Maori _and_ European, they get their own box to tick that is neither Maori nor European) on the census. The NZ census results for Maori record only those who put "Maori only" as their response. Based on those figures, under the broader definitions accepted elsewhere, Maori would represent between 25% and 30% of the population, and in addition to that there is about 10% Pacific Islander and 10% Asian. As that puts solely European at a very slim majority if not a plurality, and "Oceanic" as the next largest at around 35-40% I think NZ ought to be striped.

A majority is a majority, even if it's a small one.

Also, I may be reading it wrong, but looking at the list of ethnicities from the 2006 census (said list including all groups checked, including if people chose more than one groups), it puts the Maori at 15%.

OK, cover 2 of possibly 4: a cover of Rvbomally's Divine Wind Absent, http://rvbomally.deviantart.com/art/Divine-Wind-Absent-344648806 in which the Mongols succeed in overrunning Japan after 1274. Korea, a more favored vassal of the Mongols, ends up ruling large parts of Japan: although this does not stick in the long run, it creates a tradition of Korean interventionism in Japan.

The Yuan Mongol empire in China collapses as OTL, Mongols depart Japan by the late 1300s, butterflies go flapping all over. The Ottoman empire is butterflied away, and no single Ghazi states rises to fill the role. Under a Serbian dynasty the Byzantine (or East Roman, as they call themselves) empire revives, albeit as a majority-Slav, Balkans-centered entity. Somewhat later than OTL, a Persian empire arises from the wreckage of Mongol Persia (Timur, too, is butterflied) and becomes the dominant Islamic power of the modern age.

Lithuania expands into Mongol-wrecked Russia as OTL, but loses most of its home territories to the *Teutonic Knights, leading the Lithuanian nobility to "go native" and convert to Orthodoxy: the unification of Russia begins in the south, not the Muscovite north (indeed, squashing the northern Russian states is such a job that the last holdout, the commercial republic formed from the union of Pskov and decaying Novgorod, is allowed to continue as a vassal rather than being directly absorbed.)

The Americas are discovered, but the timing is a bit different and it's a bit of a free-for-all from the start, with the French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Nederalanders all putting in an oar. The wars and quarrels over choice bits delayed things enough for the native Americans to get a bit of a breathing space, and opportunities to play off on power against another, although in most cases this simply delayed the inevitable.

This world's version of the Reformation largely failed to get off the ground, and although protestants are still tolerated in some parts of the former HRE, the only states to actually have non-Catholic dominant religions are Sweden-Norway and Hungary, with Hungary having an Anglican-type "vanilla" Protestantism. They are considered "weird" by the Catholic major powers, but generally tolerated nowadays.

In the mid-18th century, the Big Four Catholic powers joined to defend central Europe from an aggressively expansionist Russia and its "Roman" ally. (This alliance also served the purpose of putting an end to a series of costly colonial wars between England, Portugal and France). Unfortunately, in the 19th century the Portuguese empire broke up as conflict arose between increasingly independent minded colonials and a centralizing absolutist homeland: the very unhelpful attitude of the French and British during this process led Portugal to dump it's long-standing alliance of convenience with the British, and eventually depart the Catholic League entirely.

It is now 1930 AD. Tech is roughly OTL 1910-1914, wee biplanes, airships, lots of rail-building and radio just starting to really catch on. A new threat to World Peace has arisen in the form of the Pact of Bronze, an odd alliance between two ambitious, rising Asian powers and the resentful *Fascist dictatorship of Portugal. Portugal wants to regain lost colonial territories, and crush the troublesome left-wing regime that infests Castile next door. Korea-centered Goreyo is hungry to "liberate" the European colonies in the area and put an end to any foreign meddling in "their" Japan/Nippon. Persia hopes to expand into the remaining Middle East and liberate Egypt from the Christian Menace (a badly decayed Mamluk Egypt was overrun by Byzantium in the mid-1700, and remains under the thumb of Orthodox colonists and their local Coptic allies: the Muslim majority is however improving it's insurrection skills, and the Persians are happy to provide education abroad...)

Currently there is a bit of a thaw between the Catholic and Orthodox powers, which strongly dislike eachother (The Polish War devastated half of Europe for a decade with no real victory), but are even less tolerant of these "upstarts." Conscious of the danger of the Catholic League and the Holy Alliance joining forces, the Pact is trying to recruit new members and run up a peace offensive with Russia, which doesn't really have too much territory worth stealing.

Politics are fairly authoritarian, if perhaps _overall_ not as bad as our world would soon be in the 1930s. England has universal male suffrage and a strong parliament, and while the French and Bohemian-Bavarians are less democratic, monarchic absolutism has had its day in the Catholic League. Not in the Holy Alliance - Byzantium is as absolutist as OTL Russia in 1914, Kievan Russia is even more so with added secret police, and while there is some internal democracy in the ruling Christian elites of Egypt, the Muslim majority is very firmly kept in its place.

The Pact of Bronze is Not Nice: Persia is as brutally authoritarian as Kiev, harshly efficient Goreyo is fond of Collective Responsibility and Death With Extra Torture Sauce for a great variety of crimes, while Portugal is Clerical-Fascist with a megalomaniacal supremo who is trying to make up for a dinky white population with mass African and Asian slave labor and slave troops.

Bruce

And here's a map.

Bruce

NoDivineWindRedone.png

Last edited:
Hm these covers make me think I should do a new version of one of my old maps, or more specifically my sole dystopic* map.

*Featuring a Greater South Africa that spent along time forbidding any non-interracial marriages, large chunks of Europe being run as long term occupation and 're-education' zones, annexation-happy Brazil & America and much, much more!

The first map I ever made, from a MOTF a couple of contests ago.

Sir George Remi never existed in OTL, so his birth on the 9th December 1901 is the first POD, really, although this led to no major consequences different from OTL. This fictional man was a lover of Balkan and Medittereanean cultures; their food, clothes, music, traditions and especially their women. He first experienced life in South-East Europe as a child, where his father had worked in the British Embassies in Athens, Sofia and Cetinje. His father then received employment at a higher salary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, back in London, when George was 13. His tutor was Macedonian, and it was he who taught George about the wider politics, history and geography of the Balkans. George's other passion was writing, and during his youth he wrote a lot about history and his experiences. Almost as soon as he returned to the UK, World War I broke out, and, at the age of 16 in 1918, George enrolled in the British Army, fighting in a few battles. After this, he gained employment at The Daily Telegraph writing weekly about his experiences and his view of the politics of the time, an unprecedented post for a young man, under the alias of H. Montgomery, a 45-year old Oxbridge educated man, a character created by the newspaper in order to conceal the fact he was a young boy with no formal training. Whilst writing, he enrolled at The University of Oxford studying History. Once he graduated, the newspaper revealed his true identity. He continued to grow in popularity and, when inheriting a sum of money from his great aunt's estate upon her death, he approached the editor of the Telegraph about resigning from his column as he wished to tour Southern Europe. They came to a compromise; George could travel on the condition that he continued to write for the newspaper, about his travels if he so wished. The column was a hit, and he repeated it in different locations twice after that.

Anyway, whilst all of this was going on, there were other things happening: most notably the End of World War I, and how the major powers dealed with it.
George Remi was knighted in 1963 for services to literature and to charity.
The major differences in this map are;

-Constantine of Greece marries a British Princess, and not a German one, and is therefore more willing to enter World War I on the side of the Allies.
-Italy is awarded North Tyrol and the Dodecanese Islands for its help in the War. Rise of Fascism is stunted.
-Greece is awarded Eastern Thrace, Cyprus and the North side of the Dardanelles. Because of this, Greeks are a lot more pleased than IOTL and the Monarchy, backed by Britain, stays in place.
-Prince Alfred of Lichtenstein attends the Council of Versailles, and ensures the territorial survival of the Duchy of Opava. He subsequently dies and the Council agree that the Duchy shouldn't be a territory of Lichtenstein after all. It is instead given to Prince Louis of Battenberg, pro-Allied German Prince and relative of the British Royal Family. (I thought a Duchy of Opava would be cool so I put it into the map before researching it. Big mistake. Just go along with this explanation, ahaha.)
-Nicholas, Prince of Montenegro, doesn't announce himself King in 1910. He dies in 1917. Not wishing to twist the balance of power in the Balkans, Montenegro is prevented from joining the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats & Slovenes.
-People's Republic of West Ukraine announces itself Free Galicia, amid rebellion from the Poles and the Jews living in the cities. It is backed by Bolshevik Russia, who intend to incorporate it into their young country, in it's war against the Second Polish Republic.
-North Epirus is in a state of revolt against the Italian-occupied state of Albania (No Treaty of London)

Thoughts? It is the first map I've ever made and I agree the POD's are a bit weird, but never mind.

okayokay.png

Heres an updated and fully Munroified map of the world in my Rationalised James Bond Universe as of 2013. If you have any questions, I am more than willing to answer them.

jamesbondmapmunroed.png

From the greatest map game I ever played, sadly defunct:

yBpUZi8.png

The red shade represents the Texan Confederation at its greatest extent, before its defeat by the Allied powers in World War II.

Heres an updated and fully Munroified map of the world in my Rationalised James Bond Universe as of 2013. If you have any questions, I am more than willing to answer them.

That's pretty darn cool, Mumby. Want to put in a link to the written scenario on Deviantart? (I think there was one, right? )

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.