Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

IMPERIUM

This is the flag effective from 1st January 2010 - a stylised "I" in red superimposed on a white background with a black and a blue horizontal stripe.

era3hk.png

The closing time is near but due to unforseen family matters I shall be going out before then and might not be back until tomorrow (27 April). If anyone else wnts to set up the voting thread, please feel free.

Remember all flags should be 300px high...
Fine.

attachment.png
Flag as of 1900, deliberately shaped to imitate a Roman-sque flag.

Laurel = Roman Empire = The Imperium as Inheritor of Rome;)
Trident = Britannia = British Empire
Iron Cross = Germany = German Empire
Three Crowns = Swedish Empire
Bellerophon and Pegasus = The a symbol for wisdom, and triumph of good versus evil.

The Pegasus was the slayers of Chimera, an omen of storms, shipwrecks, and natural disaster. Moreover, it is an offspring of Poseidon. This creature, together with the red background, symbolizes British Naval Power's dominance in the Imperium.

The figure also nicely hints at the House of Hannoverand ancestral saxons either side of the North Sea, Scotland (unicorn), and Prussia (eagle wings)

attachment.png

Last edited:
The Pegasus was the slayers of Chimera, an omen of storms, shipwrecks, and natural disaster. Moreover, it is an offspring of Poseidon. This creature, together with the red background, symbolizes British Naval Power's dominance in the Imperium.

Also nicely hints at the House of Hannover and ancestral saxons either side of the North Sea, Scotland (unicorn), and Prussia (eagle wings).

The flag will also work nicely as a badge with 8pt star or in canton assuming any colonies change from their respective "parentlands"

Since people are throwing in extras, as a followup to my entry, here is the suite. If people think one of the other three flags should be substituted, I am open to it.

Imperium Flag Suite.png

I am going to change my entry before the voting thread is created. Griffin was chosen as the Imperium's heraldic figure because it was an amalgamation of the lion and eagle, representing the founding nations of England and Germany.

entry.png

Excellent! I didn't think of it.

Can I add that into my entry description?
By all means do :cool:

You mean this?
Well I was thinking more of the white pegasus on a red star than the police/order badge.
and this?
Yes but in full.
I am going to change my entry before the voting thread is created. Griffin was chosen as the Imperium's heraldic figure because it was an amalgamation of the lion and eagle, representing the founding nations of England and Germany.
Hmm that griffin+sword+shield idea seems familiar :p

The closing time is near but due to unforseen family matters I shall be going out before then and might not be back until tomorrow (27 April). If anyone else wnts to set up the voting thread, please feel free.

Anyone else have time to put one up? I think his family matters have detained him further.

Flag Challenge 92: Dragon Flag for a Republican China

[FONT=&quot]Fly! Dragon of Liberty! Republican Chinese Dragon Flag[/FONT]
AH Historical Background said:
During Boxer War, With the International Legations overrun and diplomats killed (POD, IOTL it stood firm), the invading Alliance of Eight Nations took revenge by killing a good part of the Qing royal house and abolishing the dynasty.
The provincial governors of China, fearing anarchy and possible foreign partition of China, activated a previously-made agreement and hastily declared a Chinese “Republic”, with Li Hungchang (
23089_100001074751204_2358_q.jpg
) as China’s new President.
This regime fared surprisingly well…
Despite starting as a de facto oligarchy, the regime had democratic trappings since its birth, and they were able to carry out gradual democratizing experiments. This is why their flag is called the Dragon of Liberty, especially during the Sino-Soviet Confrontation days.
Your task is to make a Republican Chinese Flag upon the creation of this republic in 1900.
Rule No.1: Do not recycle the Qing flag, use of this (
72_avatar_small.jpg
) dragon is strictly forbidden. The Qing had a bad press in those days so the Republican dragon should be different.
Rule No.2: The dragon featured on the flag can be of ANY form, but it must be recognizably Chinese. Dragons with wings are forbidden.
Rule No.3: Try to give this flag "something new", something that can differentiate itself from the Qing disaster. (e.g. Symbols of democracy##, of modernity, of nationalism et cetera.)
Rule No.4. Do not deface the flag with words.#
As for colour of the dragon, colour of the flag, the configurations, and addition of other elements on the flag, the choice is yours. ###

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES:
[FONT=&quot]Saturday, 18 May
4:47 p.m. GMT[/FONT]

VOTING (should :)) start 18 May and finish 25 May, midnight GMT.

# (Here is my "dragon flag" design... But national flags should not bear words)
## (RoC's 62 Airborne division used a blue-white-red background behind a dragon. And Blue-White-Red is precisely the colour for democracy.)
### (I personally prefer white dragon in blue sea wave, like this. But you can come up with a nicer colour combination.)

Last edited: