Jesus Walks: A History of the War on Terror, 1979-1992

An excellent update my good man. As you say, some days everything goes right, but I suspect you have no intension of making that last. Keep up the great work. :)

Thanks for all the praise, everybody. I was actually a little unsatisfied with how this turned out. :eek: I mean, "The two sides exchanged fire until all of the guards were dead." is probably the worst sentence I've ever written, but I guess you're always your own worst critic.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm trying to not let Empire of a Hundred Millenia distract me too much from this TL. I want to get seriously down to business so that I can wrap up Act 1 (which in terms of the plot as a whole will be more like a prologue than a first third of the story). After the end of Act 1, though, I do want to take a brief hiatus from updating so that I can do some other stuff (namely, I'm a SA goon and I've been meaning to do a Let's Play of 007: Nightfire), which I'm hoping to finish in a month or so.

The take-away from this is that the next updates will be concentrated politics and intrigue, before Act 1 ends with a bang. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Thanks for all the praise, everybody. I was actually a little unsatisfied with how this turned out. :eek: I mean, "The two sides exchanged fire until all of the guards were dead." is probably the worst sentence I've ever written, but I guess you're always your own worst critic.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm trying to not let Empire of a Hundred Millenia distract me too much from this TL. I want to get seriously down to business so that I can wrap up Act 1 (which in terms of the plot as a whole will be more like a prologue than a first third of the story). After the end of Act 1, though, I do want to take a brief hiatus from updating so that I can do some other stuff (namely, I'm a SA goon and I've been meaning to do a Let's Play of 007: Nightfire), which I'm hoping to finish in a month or so.

The take-away from this is that the next updates will be concentrated politics and intrigue, before Act 1 ends with a bang. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Perfectly fine. My posts on my RFK TL will take a while due to end of the year school work.

Geon

Donor
Reagan and Roe v. Wade

And Reagan never did overturn Roe v. Wade. Funny that.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread and just got as far as this part. Good job so far but I do have a few comments.

First - As regards DStecks quote above, President Reagan could not overturn Roe v. Wade. That is a job for the judiciary branch, the U.S. Supreme Court. Reagan could appoint justices that would later overturn it but he had no power as president to actually do so.

Geon

First - As regards DStecks quote above, President Reagan could not overturn Roe v. Wade. That is a job for the judiciary branch, the U.S. Supreme Court. Reagan could appoint justices that would later overturn it but he had no power as president to actually do so.

I know that, but the religious right at the time saw a vote for Reagan as a vote to repeal Roe v. Wade, regardless of the possibility of that. They voted for him on that premise, a premise he made no overt attempt to achieve.

A mistake you can make in history is evaluating people's decisions based on reality. People don't do things based on reality, they do it based on their perception of reality. That is a critical and important difference.

I love this TL. Sometimes, everything goes completely and utterly wrong...

...and sometimes, they go exactly right.

The "hostages are trained killers" twist was AMAZING.

I love this TL. Sometimes, everything goes completely and utterly wrong...

...and sometimes, they go exactly right.

The "hostages are trained killers" twist was AMAZING.
Yeah. I don't know why I hadn't twigged that they were rescuing highly trained military personnel. The helicopter idea is truly inspired. As others have said, Marcinko is a magnificent bastard, but that's a very good thing in my book.

I know that, but the religious right at the time saw a vote for Reagan as a vote to repeal Roe v. Wade, regardless of the possibility of that. They voted for him on that premise, a premise he made no overt attempt to achieve.

A mistake you can make in history is evaluating people's decisions based on reality. People don't do things based on reality, they do it based on their perception of reality. That is a critical and important difference.
Of course, that's not as ironic as C. Everett Koop. He was nominated in part due to his ties to the anti-Abortion movement. He wound up attacking cigarettes (offending some major contributors), calling for more sex education and condom use to fight AIDS, and reporting there was no link between abortion and cancer.

You all might be interested to know that, come Friday night, I will no longer have employment. I should thus have a nice chunk of time on my hands to wrap up Act 1.

The next chapter will be a Jimmy Carter chapter, and will also feature a scene from the Soviet War in Afghanistan.

Bonus Material 5: Timeline of the James Bond Film Franchise

jwbonds.png

(Reposting an uncensored version of this image to make it official bonus material)

Japhy

Banned
I just read through all of this in one sitting, its a fantastic read and I have to say Billy Beer not being a Light Beer is probably the greatest POD in the history of PODs.

Subscribed.

Very interesting TL you've got on your hands here. My one question is regarding the Farsi in the last update (and perhaps future updates).

.شما زبان فارسی را میدونید؟ چون در محاورهتون کمی ناشی بود. اگر ندونید، من میتونم کمک بکنم
!بجز ان، خیلی خوب بود!من نمیتونم برای بخش بعدی صبر بکنم

(Although also worth nothing, if you do know Farsi, I could be totally wrong on some of the translations, in which case, I learned something new today!)

Very interesting TL you've got on your hands here. My one question is regarding the Farsi in the last update (and perhaps future updates).

.شما زبان فارسی را میدونید؟ چون در محاورهتون کمی ناشی بود. اگر ندونید، من میتونم کمک بکنم
!بجز ان، خیلی خوب بود!من نمیتونم برای بخش بعدی صبر بکنم

(Although also worth nothing, if you do know Farsi, I could be totally wrong on some of the translations, in which case, I learned something new today!)

Umm... I used Google Translate. :eek: So if it's not the most accurate, that would be why. It's meant to be more of an aesthetic thing, as well as letting the reader know that the people aren't speaking English while still letting them read the dialogue.