"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

It may surprise you, but I agree. It was really a bit of fanservice for a couple Welsh friends of mine who have asked me many times to have an independent Wales. :p;) Other than that, I'm trying to follow strict plausibility when it comes to geographical-political affairs.

You may have just given me another idea... Picton gets out of control and the French move in and give Wales over to England again after Edward promises to be a good little underling. That would solve the plausibility issue, while still providing that bit of fanservice. :D

Makes sense. But Britain, well by this point England, is totally subservient to the French Empire, so if the French wanted Wales Independent, England really had no choice. Not all that implausible when you look at it that way. Then again, the Welsh rebelled on there own didn't they? Well, the French certainly went along with it.

It may surprise you, but I agree. It was really a bit of fanservice for a couple Welsh friends of mine who have asked me many times to have an independent Wales. :p;) Other than that, I'm trying to follow strict plausibility when it comes to geographical-political affairs.

You may have just given me another idea... Picton gets out of control and the French move in and give Wales over to England again after Edward promises to be a good little underling. That would solve the plausibility issue, while still providing that bit of fanservice. :D

Haha fair enough. Just my input. As a Welshmen (though proud Brit!) myself I thought I'd weigh in. Really enjoying the rest of this TL btw. Keep it up! Interesting to see what happens next.

Makes sense. But Britain, well by this point England, is totally subservient to the French Empire, so if the French wanted Wales Independent, England really had no choice. Not all that implausible when you look at it that way. Then again, the Welsh rebelled on there own didn't they? Well, the French certainly went along with it.

Good point!

Haha fair enough. Just my input. As a Welshmen (though proud Brit!) myself I thought I'd weigh in. Really enjoying the rest of this TL btw. Keep it up! Interesting to see what happens next.

Thanks a lot! I'm having a ball writing this. :D

Just got up to "Liberty Day" aka "WI: Alex Hamilton had rabies" aka "Founding Fathers possessed by stars of South Park" (Alexander Hamilton is pretty much channeling Eric Cartman, especially at the very end. "Screw you guys!")

Very entertaining.

I came here by way of the stuff you're putting up in AH Propaganda ("Jack Might Not Just Be A Dull Boy..."), I was intrigued and googled "What Madness Is This" with Alternate History... and voila!

Alright, heres the map I promised. :D It shows the world on December 25 (Christmas Day), 1814, the date the War of 1812/Napoleonic Wars ended. Some minor parts were speculation, but I got everything else right, except for Canada, which hasn't been covered the yet. Napoleon I assume the rest is right. If anything is wrong let me know. :)

WHIT 1814.png

Please don't! Would Nappy really do that? After all, he wants England down, don't he? And that would be more implausible than an independent Wales!

All right, Blue, I'll probably leave it as a personal favor. Leave 500 US in a brown paper bag in the trash can in the park. :p:D

Just got up to "Liberty Day" aka "WI: Alex Hamilton had rabies" aka "Founding Fathers possessed by stars of South Park" (Alexander Hamilton is pretty much channeling Eric Cartman, especially at the very end. "Screw you guys!")

Very entertaining.

I came here by way of the stuff you're putting up in AH Propaganda ("Jack Might Not Just Be A Dull Boy..."), I was intrigued and googled "What Madness Is This" with Alternate History... and voila!

Glad to have you reading, MC! I cracked up reading your post. :D

I've put up a bunch more posters since then, too!

Alright, heres the map I promised. :D It shows the world on December 25 (Christmas Day), 1814, the date the War of 1812/Napoleonic Wars ended. Some minor parts were speculation, but I got everything else right, except for Canada, which hasn't been covered the yet. Napoleon I assume the rest is right. If anything is wrong let me know. :)

It looks right... Hmm... Yeah, I'd say it's correct, though I wouldn't be sure about Africa and Asia (my knowledge of those two in this era stinks!) Thanks for the hard work! :D

It looks right... Hmm... Yeah, I'd say it's correct, though I wouldn't be sure about Africa and Asia (my knowledge of those two in this era stinks!) Thanks for the hard work! :D

I see. I'll post a final version after the Canada chapter. :cool: Africa and Asia seem correct, but who should control the Gold Coast? Denmark, Prussia or the Dutch? Prussia is the last likely since they had no colonies in Africa, but they were promised land from the French. Also, is England a French puppet state or an underling? What about Scotland and Wales. They seem Independence from France and just allies/underlings. Lastly, should Portugal be a Franco-Spanish puppet?

I see. I'll post a final version after the Canada chapter. :cool: Africa and Asia seem correct, but who should control the Gold Coast? Denmark, Prussia or the Dutch? Prussia is the last likely since they had no colonies in Africa, but they were promised land from the French. Also, is England a French puppet state or an underling? What about Scotland and Wales. They seem Independence from France and just allies/underlings. Lastly, should Portugal be a Franco-Spanish puppet?

I'll have to research the Gold Coast again. ;)

England is an underling, really. Scotland and Wales are satellites. Portugal should actually be divided between Spain and the Portuguese Confederation (French Satellite).

I'll have to research the Gold Coast again. ;)

England is an underling, really. Scotland and Wales are satellites. Portugal should actually be divided between Spain and the Portuguese Confederation (French Satellite).

Denmark I believed owns forts along the Gold Coast during this era, the last of which was abondoned in 1850. I guess Prussia could get Lagos while Denmark gets the Gold Coast. Napoleon can say that Prussia at least got something. Also, thanks for the info.

There was actually a plan to divide Portugal between Spain and France during the Napoleonic Wars OTL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northern_Lusitania

I should say, I agree with Turquoise Blue, keep Wales Independent. It just wouldn't make any sense for them to be annexed back into England, the country France wan't to weaken.

Denmark I believed owns forts along the Gold Coast during this era, the last of which was abondoned in 1850. I guess Prussia could get Lagos while Denmark gets the Gold Coast. Napoleon can say that Prussia at least got something. Also, thanks for the info.

There was actually a plan to divide Portugal between Spain and France during the Napoleonic Wars OTL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northern_Lusitania

I should say, I agree with Turquoise Blue, keep Wales Independent. It just wouldn't make any sense for them to be annexed back into England, the country France wan't to weaken.

Oh, yes, that's right! Very well, Denmark gets the Coast.

Prussia's rewards are in the next chapter. :D

Wow, how I have never heard of this before. Give Spain their section shown in yellow on your link, but give the other two sections to Louis of Etruria (like OTL). Lisbon is French. That solves that quirk fairly well. :cool:

Very well, Wales will remain independent. ;)

Last edited:
This TL's answer to Graf von Zeppelin makes his first appearance in this chapter as the hotheaded representative of the Republican Union. :D I freaking loved writing this section; it gives the leaders way more character and personality. I particularly liked the running joke with Frederick Augustus and Louis of Portugal. :p

THE WORLD CONGRESS OF VIENNA
: PART I
Treaty_of_Tilsit.jpg

Napoleon I arrives at the Congress (1826)

In early 1826, after over a decade since the end of the Great Wars of the Empire and the beginning of the "Pax Napoleonica," Austria's Kaiser Franz I started to protest the way Napoleon had not broken up the British Empire among the Allies and rewarded them in other ways, as had been the promised arrangement and one of the main reasons the other countries fought for Napoleon in the first place (the other being blatant fear of total destruction). Thus, Napoleon, who was seemingly surprised by the anger and proclaimed to have just been busy conquering India from the British and East India Company holdouts and the native Indian warlords, agreed to hold a World Congress, the first of its kind, at Vienna.

The Congress's opening was full of pomp and circumstance. Several days were allotted for the monarchs and leaders to drown themselves in the praise and salutes and bows of the others, all given and received with doubtful sincerity. The following is a list of most of the leaders present (their dignitaries are not counted, which sometimes numbered in the hundreds):

France:

• Napoleon I, Caesar (also King of Andorra, King of Italy, Lord of Mann, Mediator of the Helvetic Confederation, Protector of the Confederation of the Rhine, and Protector of the Free City of Lisbon)
  • Michel Ney, Prime Minister
Denmark-Norway:

• Frederick VI, King
  • Otto Joachim Moltke, Prime Minister
England:

• Edward VII, King (traditional title of King of Hanover given to Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia six years prior to the Congress)
  • John Wallace, Prime Minister
Austria:

• Franz I, Kaiser (also King of Hungary and Bohemia)
  • Prinz von Metternich, Chancellor
Prussia and Hanover:

• Friedrich Wilhelm III, King
  • Count von Wylich, Chief Minister
Bavaria:

• Ludwig I
Kingdom of Saxony and Grand Duchy of Warsaw:

• Frederick Augustus I, King, Grand Duke
Württemberg:

• Wilhelm, King
Baden:

• Karl, Grand Duke
  • Stéphanie, Consort, Daughter of Napoleon I
Portuguese Confederation and Etruria:

• Louis, King (Powerless; ordered directly by Napoleon I)
Principality of Lucca and Piombino:

• Elisa Napoleona, Princess
Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (formerly Naples and Sicily):

• Zénaïde, Queen, Daughter of Joseph Bonaparte
Kingdom of Holland:

• Louis I, King, Brother of Napoleon I
Kingdom of Sweden:
  • Karl XIV, King (Jean Bernadotte, former grand marshal under and bitter rival of Napoleon I; the two openly argued with each other at the Congress until Karl suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack)
  • Oscar I, King
Spain:

• Ferdinand VII
Ottoman Empire:

• Benderli Selim Sirri Pasha, Ottoman Grand Vizier
Russian Empire:

• Nicholas I, Czar (also Grand Duke of Finland)
Republican Union:

• Charles Goodyear, Representative
  • Miles Romney, Representative
Confederation of the Carolinas:

• Andrew Jackson, Chancellor
  • John C. Calhoun, Colonel of the Confederation (unique title; essentially Prime Minister)
Virgin Islands Confederacy:

• Thomas Bragg, Governor-General (answered directly to Jackson and also brought young son Braxton with him; the Congress had a "profound" effect on the boy)
Republic of Virginia:
  • Henry Clay, President (also representing the Chesapeake Republic of Maryland)
  • Daniel Webster, Vice President
Republic of Georgia:

• John Hardee, Representative (also representing the West Florida Republic and the Republic of Jamaica)
Green Mountain Republic of Vermont:

• Jay Thomas Powell, Chancellor (stormed out after being ridiculed by Ludwig of Bavaria)

The Canadian Question and Goodyear's Tirade, July 5th-6th, 1826:

The whole reason that North American countries had representatives present was really Canada. The Republican Union had a fiery young businessman named Charles Goodyear as their chief negotiator, who was in turn balanced by the mild and moderate Miles Romney, a Consul of Massachusetts. Goodyear had become wealthy first in the rubber industry, farming the substance in French-occupied Brazil, and then in the growing steam engine business, and then finally a tycoon in a venture with Eli Whitney.

220px-Charles_Goodyear_portrait.jpg

Charles Goodyear

The millionaire ranted for over an hour on July 5th, the first official day, over how the Republican Union had been abandoned by France and its allies and how 50% of Canada should be theirs. Frederick Augustus, of Saxony and Warsaw, and Louis, of the Portuguese Confederation and Etruria, both stood up, along with their entire entourages, and booed him publicly. Goodyear's face "looked red as a hot coal" and he turned and launched a brutal tirade of anti-Polish, anti-Eastern European, anti-Catholic, anti-Portuguese, and anti-Italian slurs, until Henry Clay of Virginia told him to "calm down, you ignorant fool." Incensed, Goodyear stormed out and would not com back till the next day, leaving his job to Romney.

00000520.jpg

Henry Clay (standing, center) confronts Charles Goodyear (far right, sitting) while Romney (in brown suit), sits next to Goodyear

Romney calmly discussed Canada with the other parties concerned, and agreed to drop all other claims to to the French Colony in exchange for Nova Scotia. Goodyear would allegedly slap Romney in the face and call him a gutless coward to his face the next day.

220px-Charles_XIV_John_as_Crown_Prince_of_Sweden_-_Fran%C3%A7ois_G%C3%A9rard.jpg

King Karl of Sweden Dies and Oscar I Speaks, July 7th-9th, 1826:​

One of the most shocking episodes came on the third day of the Congress, on July 7th, when, following a heated exchange with Napoleon I, Karl (Bernadotte) of Sweden dropped dead, stricken by massive cardiac arrest. The decision as to who would be speak for Sweden had to be made immediately. War was brewing between Sweden and Russia over the Finland Question, and with no leader, the matter might spiral out of control.

The little-known Swedish heir, Oscar I, now an un-crowned king, stood up and shocked everyone in attendance with his excellent speeches and oratory. The fact that he was Napoleon's godson and that he, unlike Karl, loved and respected the French emperor did not hurt his case with many of France's puppets. Frederick Augustus, of Saxony and Warsaw, and Louis, of the Portuguese Confederation and Etruria, stood up, beckoned their entourages to do the same, and "openly wept like babies, as if their very thrones depended on this tearful action." The greying French Caesar nodded approvingly. The matter was then resolved so that Finland became independent and completely neutral. Trade was opened to both Russia and Sweden. If any country violated the treaty, they would have to answer to the European Alliance and the French Empire.

220px-Flag_of_Spain_%281785-1873_and_1875-1931%29.svg.png

The Spanish Bankruptcy Question, July 10th-15th:

Certainly one of the most pressing and potentially devastating matters undertaken at Vienna was the growing instability of Spain, its colonial empire, and its economy. Despite the gift of a good 60% of Portugal from France during the Great Wars, it was still a backward, poor country, a mere shadow of its former glory and power.

New Spain had experienced its first real revolt just five months prior to the World Congress, when 50 Spanish troops were killed by a mob of impoverished farmers in Cuba. Spain had responded with brutal and quick action, killing citizens senselessly in what Napoleon I called "a needless massacre." The open revolt that followed was still raging at the time of the Congress, where Spain was told to get its act together on the island and stop murdering the Cubans or suffer dire consequences. Little did Vienna know that Cuba had declared independence five days before, or that Virginian and Carolinian ships were currently peacefully blockading Havana to prevent Spanish troops from landing.

In the end, the Congress refused to help Spain if it suffered rebellions, as the nations feared a brutal, prolonged conflict in the jungles and deserts of North and South America helping an elderly empire no one really liked much anymore. It also didn't help that many nations were verging on declaring war with Spain since it wouldn't (and couldn't) pay back huge loans. Austria was the most angry about not being recompensed, and it showed when Prinz von Metternich personally threatened war. Napoleon barely defused the situation, but it was just prolonging the inevitable. Many were suspecting that multiple European countries would support insurrections in New Spain.

Last edited:
Great update. :D Loved getting to know the leaders better and very cool territorial changes. I also loved the comedic moments with Charles Goodyear and King Karl of Sweden. :p

So Canada was occupied by the French after the War of 1812 then? Makes scene, I'll add that to the 1814 map. But what happens to Rupert's land?

Also, is France conquering India from the British directly, or are they just occupying land nominally under control of the British/East India company?

One mistake I did notice was the existence of Sweden-Norway. With Napoleon victorious, and Sweden under his and Russia's thumb after the Finnish War IITL, Sweden-Norway would never exist. The Swedish Norwegian War, which led to the creation of Sweden-Norway began OTL becuase Napoleon was defeated in Russia. ITTL, Norway would still be in union with Denmark.

In all, Great update! :cool: Can't wait for part two.

Edit: One more question. Who owns Bermuda again? I don't think it was mentioned in the Carribean Theater chapter. Should Virginia own it? Seems logical due to proximity.

Last edited:
Great update. :D Loved getting to know the leaders better and very cool territorial changes. I also loved the comedic moments with Charles Goodyear and King Karl of Sweden. :p

So Canada was occupied by the French after the War of 1812 then? Makes scene, I'll add that to the 1814 map. But what happens to Rupert's land?

Also, is France conquering India from the British directly, or are they just occupying land nominally under control of the British/East India company?

One mistake I did notice was the existence of Sweden-Norway. With Napoleon victorious, and Sweden under his and Russia's thumb after the Finnish War IITL, Sweden-Norway would never exist. The Swedish Norwegian War, which led to the creation of Sweden-Norway began OTL becuase Napoleon was defeated in Russia. ITTL, Norway would still be in union with Denmark.

In all, Great update! :cool: Can't wait for part two.

Edit: One more question. Who owns Bermuda again? I don't think it was mentioned in the Carribean Theater chapter. Should Virginia own it? Seems logical due to proximity.

Thanks, Zoid!

Rupert's Land, though not heavily populated, is grabbed up by France. After all, it's pretty much right above Louisiana, and linking colonies is always a good idea.

They're just occupying land normally under British control and from Indian warlords who have gotten out of hand since Britain's power waned. More about them in the next chapter, but the British holdouts consider William and Edward illegitimate leaders.

D'OH! Man, I'm glad you noticed that. I remember thinking "remember it's Denmar-Norway", and then somehow I forgot. Definitely fixing! Thanks!

I forgot Bermuda? :eek: Darn, I thought I had covered all the islands. I'll cover it in the next chapter then. I'll say it was occupied by the French for the Invasion of Canada and such, but they're willing to sell it. :cool:

I believe I have fixed the Sweden-Norway gaffe. :D Working on a new chapter, and then probably a chapter for my Bruce Wayne TL.

Thanks, Zoid!

Rupert's Land, though not heavily populated, is grabbed up by France. After all, it's pretty much right above Louisiana, and linking colonies is always a good idea.

They're just occupying land normally under British control and from Indian warlords who have gotten out of hand since Britain's power waned. More about them in the next chapter, but the British holdouts consider William and Edward illegitimate leaders.

D'OH! Man, I'm glad you noticed that. I remember thinking "remember it's Denmark-Norway", and then somehow I forgot. Definitely fixing! Thanks!

I forgot Bermuda? :eek: Darn, I thought I had covered all the islands. I'll cover it in the next chapter then. I'll say it was occupied by the French for the Invasion of Canada and such, but they're willing to sell it. :cool:

Your welcome.

Thanks for answering my question's on Rupert's Land and India. Also your welcome for me finding that mistake with Sweden-Norway. :)

Bermuda occupied by the French makes sense, but I imagine Virginia would want it. Not only because of its proximity, but the Virginians never got around to capturing any of them thar tropical island colonies from the limeys. :p

I have to say, I like the idea of Finland being a Switzerland analog. :cool: How did they make king though?

Well with those questions answered, heres a completed 1814 map. :D The following in this paragraph is speculation, of which I think will be acceptable. The British Empire has only been partly portioned, so England still owns some tiny island colonies, plus the Gold Coast hasnt been divided up yet. In West Africa however, the French have occupied most British colonies there, save for one outpost which the Spanish took. OTL French and Dutch claims in the land down under are officially recognized, plus France occupies Bermuda like you said. Lastly, those islands of the coast of Brazil are occupied by France, Spain and (whats left of :p) Portugal.

All errors were fixed, plus I did that thing you mentioned with Portugal. All French puppet states are in the "French Puppet State color" for example. Wales is, but its hard to see cause the colors are so similar. :p

Man France has one huge as hell empire. :eek::D Seriously, I image by know the French Empire is officially recognized as the Third Rome. Wait, I just got a great idea. Could you mabye have Napo make himself Holy Roman Emperor? :D

WHIT 1814.png

I believe I have fixed the Sweden-Norway gaffe. :D Working on a new chapter, and then probably a chapter for my Bruce Wayne TL.

Good. Can't wait for the Bruce Wayne update, thought I've only read the first two chapters so far. :D:p What about Send in the Elvises? I thought you said that was next. Its fine, do them in what ever order you wish. :)

Your welcome.

Bermuda occupied by the French makes sense, but I imagine Virginia would want it. Not only because of its proximity, but the Virginians never got around to capturing any of them thar tropical island colonies from the limeys. :p

I have to say, I like the idea of Finland being a Switzerland analog. :cool: How did they make king though?

Well with those questions answered, heres a completed 1814 map. :D The following in this paragraph is speculation, of which I think will be acceptable. The British Empire has only been partly portioned, so England still owns some tiny island colonies, plus the Gold Coast hasnt been divided up yet. In West Africa however, the French have occupied most British colonies there, save for one outpost which the Spanish took. OTL French and Dutch claims in the land down under are officially recognized, plus France occupies Bermuda like you said. Lastly, those islands of the coast of Brazil are occupied by France, Spain and (whats left of :p) Portugal.

All errors were fixed, plus I did that thing you mentioned with Portugal. All French puppet states are in the "French Puppet State color" for example. Wales is, but its hard to see cause the colors are so similar. :p

Man France has one huge as hell empire. :eek::D Seriously, I image by know the French Empire is officially recognized as the Third Rome. Wait, I just got a great idea. Could you mabye have Napo make himself Holy Roman Emperor? :D

Excellent job! I love having a good mapmaker; it makes the story so much easier to handle.

Oh yes, I was entailing that France will likely sell it to Virginia for a very cheap price. Virginia will be getting some islands, I assure you. :cool:

I'll probably say in the next chapter that some minor European noble/prince was placed on Finland's throne as some sort of kickback from Napoleon.

Well, Napoleon's official title is Caesar, and since he's never been radically Catholic, I'd doubt he'd risk offending the Hapsburgs, who formerly held that title. "Caesar" makes even a Holy Roman Emperor look like a hillbilly. :p Napoleon is the one lashing it all together at the moment. He's the only truly great leader I have planned so far.

Pretty much everything else look perfect (as far I can see). West Haiti needs to be colored French blue, but that's pretty much it. Great job! :D

Excellent job! I love having a good mapmaker; it makes the story so much easier to handle.

Oh yes, I was entailing that France will likely sell it to Virginia for a very cheap price. Virginia will be getting some islands, I assure you. :cool:

I'll probably say in the next chapter that some minor European noble/prince was placed on Finland's throne as some sort of kickback from Napoleon.

Well, Napoleon's official title is Caesar, and since he's never been radically Catholic, I'd doubt he'd risk offending the Hapsburgs, who formerly held that title. "Caesar" makes even a Holy Roman Emperor look like a hillbilly. :p Napoleon is the one lashing it all together at the moment. He's the only truly great leader I have planned so far.

Pretty much everything else look perfect (as far I can see). West Haiti needs to be colored French blue, but that's pretty much it. Great job! :D

Thanks. Since I am your offical map maker, any timeline or story you want me to make a UCS style map for, you got it. :D I'm working on an 1800 map BTW.

Interesting developments in both Bermuda and Finland. :cool:

Yeah, now that you mention it, that makes sense. Napoleon was Catholic, but he was never all that religious (I'm pretty sure at one point he questioned the divinity of Jesus). Plus "Ceasar" has that reckoning to the glory days of Rome that "Holy Roman Emperor" could only dream of having. Though still, France probably would be considered the Third Rome IITL, what with the huge empire thats dominating western civilization at the moment. I'm almost sorry that this all going to blow up in Frances face. He has this huge empire, and to think it'll all be gone. I mean, Napo has it even better IITL, by a long shot, and he's going to lose it all, and it'll be a much harder loss than OTL no doubt. :eek: :p

Anyway, heres a final map with Haiti fixed. :D

attachment.php

Last edited:
Napoleon might not be the one to lose it. Napoleon is the only great leader I have planned. *cough cough hint hint* ;)

Great! I hereby declare this map to be the official representation of the world before the World Congress.