Jesus Walks: A History of the War on Terror, 1979-1992

Sorry for the long wait everybody, you should expect the new update today some time.

So I guess Canada becomes that much closer to Britain, the Commonwealth, and the EEC? Maybe even Latin America, too? (Hey, Colombia could use all the help it could get. Same with Venezuela, Peru, and maybe Chile and Brazil as well. :p)

If by closer, you mean more friendly, then no, I wouldn't expect that. A strong Canadian nationalism movement would probably be isolationist, especially if the rest of the Commonwealth goes along with the War on Terror.

Chapter 10

Chapter 10: The Beast of America​

“Together we can stand up to the beast
You see suppression is a motherfucking prison
And I hand you the key to your cell
You've got to love your neighbor
Love your neighbor
And let your neighbor love you back”​

---------------------------

1980 Republican Presidential Primaries:
1980_republican_primaries.png

---------------------------​

July 17, 1980:

The outcome of the 1980 presidential primaries was never in doubt. In the ‘76 primaries, Ronald Reagan took on an incumbent president and came within a hair’s breadth of winning. His only real competition was George Bush, former head of the CIA, and Howard Baker, a beloved moderate senator; but as Carter seemed to gain momentum the Republicans rallied around the man who they had placed their hopes on for the last four years. Reagan sauntered effortlessly to victory. A former actor, Reagan possessed a unique charisma not seen in presidential politics since Kennedy. The American right viewed him in an almost messianic light, and it was a surprise to no one at all when he captured the Republican nomination.

The young man sits at his recliner, watching CSPAN on his television. On his coffee table is a pile of paper, a pen, and a book. He reaches over to grab a piece of paper and his pen. He takes the book, a hardcover copy of The Catcher in the Rye, to use as a hard surface to write on. He watches the television, where he sees Ronald Reagan take the stage.

“Mr. Chairman, Mr. Vice President to be, this convention, my fellow citizens of this great nation:

With a deep awareness of the responsibility conferred by your trust, I accept your nomination for the presidency of the United States. I do so with deep gratitude, and I think also I might interject on behalf of all of us, our thanks to Detroit and the people of Michigan and to this city for the warm hospitality they have shown. And I thank you for your wholehearted response to my recommendation in regard to Phil Crane as a candidate for vice president.”​

The young man presses his pen to the paper, but finds himself at a loss for words. He watches Reagan, so confident in himself, so sure in his words, and wishes he could be as charismatic. Perhaps if he were as charismatic as Reagan, then maybe…

"Never before in our history have Americans been called upon to face three grave threats to our very existence, any one of which could destroy us. We face a disintegrating economy, another foreign war, and an energy policy based on the sharing of scarcity.
The major issue of this campaign is the direct political, personal and moral responsibility of Democratic Party leadership--in the White House and in Congress--for this unprecedented calamity which has befallen us. They tell us they have done the most that humanly could be done. They say that the threat of Communism has had its day in the sun; that our nation’s greatest threat is in rogue madmen. They expect you to tell your children that the Communist is their friend and ally in a so-called “War on Terror”, a war with no defined goals or objectives, a war which can never be won."​

The man begins to sweat. He is terrified. Terrified he will choose the wrong word. And then she’ll hate him.

"When we move from domestic affairs and cast our eyes abroad, we see an equally sorry chapter on the record of the present administration.
— A Soviet combat brigade trains in Cuba, just 90 miles from our shores.
— A Soviet army of invasion occupies Afghanistan, further threatening our vital interests in the Middle East.
— America's defense strength is at its lowest ebb in a generation, while the Soviet Union is vastly outspending us in both strategic and conventional arms.
— Our European allies, looking nervously at the growing menace from the East, turn to us for leadership and fail to find it.
— And, incredibly, more than 90 of our finest men perished in a foolish effort to kill a single man, a man dubiously connected to the crimes of which he was accused. Adversaries large and small test our will and seek to confound our resolve, but we are given posturing when we need real strength; vacillation when the times demand firmness. The Carter Administration lives in the world of make-believe. Every day, drawing up a response to that day's problems, troubles, regardless of what happened yesterday and what will happen tomorrow. The rest of us, however, live in the real world. It is here that disasters are overtaking our nation without any real response from Washington."​

He reaches to the table beside his chair, and places his hand on his Rohm RG-14 revolver. The gun is his ticket. His shot at the big time. 22 caliber “Devastator” aluminum/lead azide explosive rounds. They will do well.

"Can we doubt that only a Divine Providence placed this land, this island of freedom, here as a refuge for all those people in the world who yearn to breathe freely: Jews and Christians enduring persecution behind the Iron Curtain, the boat people of Southeast Asia, of Cuba and Haiti, the victims of drought and famine in Africa, the freedom fighters of Afghanistan and our own countrymen, who even as we speak, move to occupy Tehran. I'll confess that I've been a little afraid to suggest what I'm going to suggest--I'm more afraid not to--that we begin our crusade joined together in a moment of silent prayer."​

He sets down his gun. He is now sure of what he will say. He picks up his pen, and begins to write.

“Dear Jodie…”​

“Stand tall for the Beast of America
Lay down like a naked dead body
Keep it real for the people working overtime
They can't stay living off the government’s dime”

-Nico Vega

reagancrane.png

Last edited:
Good post. Of course, it's interesting that Reagan is dismissing the threat of Iran. Perhaps if Iran strikes back, Reagan might look foolish and unsuited for higher office...if he doesn't meet a certain Mr. Hinkley.

Love the update! One thing though...

He reaches to the table beside his chair, and places his hand on his Rohm RG-14 revolver. The gun is his ticket. His shot at the big time. 22 millimetre “Devastator” aluminum/lead azide explosive rounds. They will do well.

.22cal, not 22mm. A 22mm revolver would probably have to be the size of a carbine. OTOH, if you absolutely want to kill your target with the first shot, that'd be the way to do it. *shudder*

Love the update! One thing though...

.22cal, not 22mm. A 22mm revolver would probably have to be the size of a carbine. OTOH, if you absolutely want to kill your target with the first shot, that'd be the way to do it. *shudder*

Oh holy shit wow, yeah, 22mm is 2.2 cm, which is almost an inch for you Americans. That would be a wristfucker.

Fixing now.

Bonus Material 4: Ronald Reagan (an author's note)

384px-Official_Portrait_of_President_Reagan_1981.jpg

Ronald Wilson Reagan, in OTL, was the 40th president of the United States of America. But you already knew that.

This Bonus Material will not be a history lesson, as the others have been. This is more an aside from the author, explaining my perspective when it comes to Reagan, so you can see where I'm coming from when I write about him. I don't want to spark a Reagan flamewar, this is just here to explain my biases. So please don't start a flamewar.

You should know that I, the author, am very left-wing. Even for a Canadian I am liberal. However, it is my opinion that Reagan was a basically decent president. He did what he thought was right, and always had America's best interests at heart, even if I don't necessarily agree with him about what they were. He got America out of a punishing recession, and arguably hastened the demise of the Soviet Union (arguably).

Many of the things he is criticized for rest not just with him. His economic doctrine and his ending of detente were both popular policies, which is why he was elected president. Hindsight is 20/20, and while we now live with the blowback of the Reagan administration, at the time, you probably would have voted for him.

These nice things having been said, it is also my opinion that the Reagan years are the fundamental cause of just about every major problem in America. His administration was reckless and negligent in its foreign policy as dictated by the Reagan Doctrine, and its domestic policies and political tactics led to the rise of the neocons, the libertarians, and the fundamentalists, all of whom were on the fringe of the GOP before Reagan, and now constitute the party in its entirety. This inflammatory statement will be justified later in the story, as the changes to history create a vastly different America in the years to come.

The Reagan administration was a permanent turning point in American politics, and in my opinion represents the beginning of the contemporary era of history. As our story continues, changes to these critical years will have truly profound effects by the time we reach the end of the 20th century.

While I agree with Reagan on very, very little, I have respect for him as a president and as a man. Which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for his successors, both OTL and TTL.

Last edited:
Whilst I'm intrigued by just how badly wrong things can go in a comparatively short space of time, I have to say I'm really enjoying the writing in this. I'm in!

Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Stompa

Desert One, July 22nd, 1980:

Converting the Evening Light refueling base into America’s fortress in Iran was moving smoothly. Skirmishes with local rebels were infrequent and one-sided. The bulk of the Iranian military was tied up in Tehran, securing it for the invasion they knew was coming. Movement in and out of the city was now impossible for non-military or government personnel.

Colonel Chuck Beckwith stood outside in the hot morning air. While the sun beat down, a light breeze kept him cool enough to be comfortable. He was awaiting an arrival at the helipad, though who exactly was arriving was kept top secret. General Vaught knew, but he wasn’t telling. Rumour had it that the president himself was coming to inspect the base.

In the distance, he saw a helicopter approach. It flew low, stirring the desert sand with the wash from its rotors. It was a large helicopter, a Chinook double-rotor cargo transport. It spun around as it landed, its rear cargo door/ramp facing Beckwith. As the door opened, a small team of Marines exited. Following them was a young Iranian man, who looked to be in his early 20s at the latest.

“Who are you?” asked Beckwith, shouting over the din of the rotors.

“I am Reza Pahlavi!” the young man said. Behind him came 6 older Iranian men, carrying a casket. “I am shahanshah now.”​

Walter Mondale waited alone in the presidential limousine. He inspected his watch for the seventh time. Carter was late. Walter fiddled with his pen, clicking it open and closed. Open and closed. He’d already disassembled and reassembled the pen, taken it apart down to its basic components: the case, the cartridge, the spring, the button. Twice. Walter furrowed his brow and held his hand to his head. He glanced out the window, and finally saw Carter exit the hotel.

Beckwith reached to retrieve a cigarette from his pocket when a young private sprinted over to him. “Colonel! In the comms tent! You have to see this right away!”

“What is it?” Beckwith asked as he attempted to light his cigarette.

“It’s the Iranians! Government’s interrupted the local broadcast, and you aren’t going to believe what’s going on!”​

“Sorry I’m late,” said the president as he entered the car, “had to discuss a fairly last minute change of plans.”

“Is that so?” Walter asked.

“I had arranged a meeting with somebody, but as it turns out she’s busy.” Carter replied.

“With who?”

“Hadn’t I told you, Walt? I had a meeting scheduled with Jodie Foster.”

“You mean the actress? What the hell for?”

“She says that somebody’s been mailing her letters threatening me. She’s very concerned; she says he’s been doing this for months now.”

“Isn’t that a matter for the Secret Service?” asked Mondale.

“Normally yes, but if Reagan’s going to be attacking me on national security, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to get people seeing me taking my own security seriously. I had hoped it would help my credibility, but it looks like she’ll be busy until after the election.”

“Did she say what’s come up?”

“She’s going to be in Tunisia, filming the movie they’re making of that CIA hoax script.”

“Argo?” Walter suggested.

“That was it. She’s been cast in Argo, Tony Mendez himself too, if what I hear is true.”

“Well, hopefully it’s just some crazed lunatic sending her these letters, and he’s too far gone to actually go out and do anything.”

“I hope so too, Walt.”​

There was a long, uncomfortable pause.

“So, Phil Crane, huh?” Carter said.

“I guess the deal with Ford fell through at the last minute,” Walter said, “I heard he picked Crane less than 24 hours before his acceptance speech.”

“He’s doubling down on the economy. Crane’s a student of Goldwater, and Reagan wants to give his supply-side economics credibility.”

“You mean voodoo economics?” Mondale asked jokingly, “isn’t that what Bush called them?”

“Yeah, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that remark is what cost him a spot on Reagan’s ticket.”

“You think he would have picked Bush?”

“His foreign policy credentials are beyond question, he would have been a natural pick if Reagan wanted to challenge me on that.”

“You think he can’t win on foreign policy? Jim, we’re walking into the third foreign war in 30 years, the op to capture Khomeini was a complete mess, and now this War on Terror business?” Walter asked.

“The people always rally around the president in times of war. No incumbent has ever lost a re-election bid during a war, and Reagan knows that. He’s going to focus on the one front where he has every advantage: the economy.”

“What do you think your odds are, Jim? I hear opinions every day from every Tom, Dick and Harry, but I’m interested in what you think.”

“If this election is about foreign policy, my intuition says that no matter who wins, it’s going to be a desperate, messy, drag-down brawl. We’ll go all 12 rounds, and unless one of us gets a decisive edge, it’s going to be too close to call.” Carter replied.

“And if he can make the election about the economy?” Mondale asked.​

Carter thought about it.

“Then he’ll destroy me.”​

Beckwith entered the communications tent. A large group of soldiers was crowding around the TV. He made his way through the crowd, until he got to the front. Then he saw it.

Five men wearing dark military garb knelt on the ground, bags over their heads. Their arms and legs were bound, and behind them stood armed guards.

“What are they saying?” Beckwith asked the interpreter standing near the TV.

“These are captured American assassins. We have twelve more in our custody.”​

A guard removed the bag from the middle captive’s head. It was Blue Leader.

“Mother of God…”

“Tell them the truth,” the translator said.

“Tell them the truth!” the guard yelled, this time in broken English, as he held a revolver to Blue Leader’s head.

“We didn’t come here to capture Khomeini,” Blue Leader said reluctantly, “the plan was always to kill him. The Ayatollah was unarmed and we killed him in cold blood.”

“Oh… this is not good.” Beckwith said under his breath.

An announcer began speaking again on the TV. “These captives are unlawful combatants, and unless America withdraws its forces from Iran within a week,” the translator said, “they will be executed as criminals.”

The guard began to put the bag back on Blue Leader’s head when he began to thrash and yell. “It’s all lies! Don’t believe a word of it! Just like the embassy! They lie!” he said, before the guards threw him to the ground, kicking him and beating him into submission; the broadcast quickly cutting away.​

“Everybody, please leave the room now,” Beckwith announced, “I need to use the phone.”​

The soldiers quickly filed from the room, leaving Beckwith alone.

“Nimitz,” Beckwith said over the phone, “I need a direct line to command. The situation’s developed. And after that, I need you to send a message to Walter Reed, to a patient there named Marcinko. Tell him to catch the first flight to Istanbul. He’s not done his mission yet.”​

“People, working every night and day
Never give yourself no time
Got too many bills to pay
Slow down, nothing’s gonna disappear
If you give yourself some room
To move to the music you hear”

-Serena Ryder​

James G

Gone Fishin'
That was a pretty stupid thing for the Iranians to do: doing that on live TV. It's best to record those things first so no one makes a shout of honesty.
I can easily see it being done though. I think you captured just how that would be done (and go wrong) perfectly btw.

How long do you intend this story to go? (To what year?) I hope to present day and maybe beyond, as I'm already very into the story.

How long do you intend this story to go? (To what year?) I hope to present day and maybe beyond, as I'm already very into the story.

From earlier in the thread:

I've got some idea of events continuing into the present, but the 1992 Presidential election is a good end point for this story for two reasons:

1) The events after this election become hard to predict with any meaningful accuracy due to the massive changes to the American political spectrum that will happen. The 1980's OTL experienced a massive shift in politics due to the rise of the neoconservative movement, and any changes to it will have huge effects. By 2013 you can expect to see some politicians running for the opposite party as OTL.

2) Events after 1992 will become less interesting, or at least interesting in a different, less visceral way. I can't explain why, because it would be spoiling. It's not boring, as history rarely is, but it will work better as a stand-alone sequel. If I presented it as part of a singular story, it would feel like events are dragging on after the cool stuff is over.

Perhaps once I'm done, I'll do a sequel TL, Rumsfeldia-style, but I think I might do something else first. Anyway, that's a long ways off, so I'll just keep focused on the 80's for the moment.

Since then I've come to realize that post-1992 history TTL will continue to be as insane as it's been so far. If I ever do a sequel TL, it will be pretty much a straight-up action thriller.

Last edited: