Jesus Walks: A History of the War on Terror, 1979-1992

It might be interesting if Dunnigan and Jackson worked together. (I'm somewhat familiar with both, and I like both GURPS and Dunnigan's military books. I even did a post with both of them in my cabinet.)

It might be interesting if Dunnigan and Jackson worked together. (I'm somewhat familiar with both, and I like both GURPS and Dunnigan's military books. I even did a post with both of them in my cabinet.)

You know, this could make for an interesting ATL in and of itself.

The next chapter will be the resolution of Demo Dick and Montel's Wondertacular Adventures in Assassination, and will concern reactions to Evening Light, both domestic and international. We'll then be moving on to the beginnings of the occupation of Tehran (TTL Eagle Claw) and the '80 Presidential Campaign story arc.

I hope to have it done by tomorrow night, and maybe this time that isn't bullshit!

The next chapter will be the resolution of Demo Dick and Montel's Wondertacular Adventures in Assassination, and will concern reactions to Evening Light, both domestic and international. We'll then be moving on to the beginnings of the occupation of Tehran (TTL Eagle Claw) and the '80 Presidential Campaign story arc.

I hope to have it done by tomorrow night, and maybe this time that isn't bullshit!
Don't rush it, DStecks. This is great. Scary and profoundly worrying, but great nonetheless.

Next chapter will be coming soon.

Something to expect in the coming updates, as the story becomes more dark, is a bit of levity. Some wackiness, if you will. Five words: "We elected the wrong Carter."

While I do have the over-arching plot of this TL already figured out, I have yet to determine many of the points along the way. One of them is Reagan's running mate. I'm thinking that TTL he might choose somebody else, to respond to the different situation that the TTL '80 election presents.

My first thought was that he might pick John McCain. McCain would lend Reagan military credibility, as well as youthful good looks. McCain quickly established himself as a major player in Congress, and him being picked early in his career is no less believable than GHWB picking Dan Quayle. Biggest problem: John McCain wasn't elected to Congress until 1982. :mad:

Any thoughts about plausible alternate candidates?

Next chapter will be coming soon.

Something to expect in the coming updates, as the story becomes more dark, is a bit of levity. Some wackiness, if you will. Five words: "We elected the wrong Carter."

While I do have the over-arching plot of this TL already figured out, I have yet to determine many of the points along the way. One of them is Reagan's running mate. I'm thinking that TTL he might choose somebody else, to respond to the different situation that the TTL '80 election presents.

My first thought was that he might pick John McCain. McCain would lend Reagan military credibility, as well as youthful good looks. McCain quickly established himself as a major player in Congress, and him being picked early in his career is no less believable than GHWB picking Dan Quayle. Biggest problem: John McCain wasn't elected to Congress until 1982. :mad:

Any thoughts about plausible alternate candidates?

For my own part, I don't see why Reagan shouldn't stick with Bush. After all, if the election is going to be run on foreign policy even more than ITTL, it makes sense to pick a foreign-policy expert for the lower half of the ticket. If you want to go out there, you might do what there was some considerable buzz about at the GOP '80 convention and have Reagan pick former President Ford as his running mate; I think - though this is just off the top of my head - that Ford could only serve one full term as VP due to his having been appointed before the midpoint of Nixon's never-completed second term, so Reagan would theoretically be able to pick McCain in 1984 (assuming, of course, that he wins the 1980 election, though I suspect he still will ITTL).

For the Vice Presidency?

If you want to go for a fresh face, there's always Dan Quayle, who's still a Rep vying for Birch Bayh's seat.

Other freshmen are William Cohen (Maine), Larry Pressler (South Dakota, with 'Nam vet credentials), and John Heinz (Pennsylvania).

Other names could be good ol' compassionate conservatism Jack Kemp (New York), Senator John Danforth (Missouri), or, going off of some unique military experience, Frank Borman, the former astronaut. Commander of Apollo 8, CEO of Eastern Airlines.

Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Testify

“Mister anchor, assure me
that Baghdad is burning
your voice it is so soothing
that cunning mantra of killing”

---------------------------​

“Colonel! Colonel!” the private yelled as he rushed into the command tent at Desert One, binoculars in hand. “You aren’t going to believe this!”​

Richard Marcinko lay in a hospital bed, tubes inserted into every orifice, hooked up to half a dozen machines desperately pumping fluids into his dehydrated husk of a body. He tried to look around the room, but found himself too exhausted to move. Reaching to scratch an itch, he found his hands completely covered in bandages. Immediately fearing the worst, he attempted to wiggle his fingers. His fear subsided as he felt and saw his fingers move beneath the bandages. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the door to his room open, and the shadow of a figure enter.

“You up yet, Dick?” asked Colonel Chuck Beckwith.

“Yeah,” Marcinko replied in the hushed whisper that was all he could manage. “How long was I out?”

“You weren’t ever really out, per se. You’ve been here about a day, if that’s what you’re asking.” The colonel replied.

“Where am I?” Marcinko wheezed.

“Walter Reed. We flew you here after we found you and the eleven other survivors walking back to base in the desert. Lieutenant Williams told me your bus ran out of gas half-way back. And uh, here,” he said, taking out a pair of white Marine uniform gloves. "You'll want these. Docs said your hands were burned real bad. Went too long without being treated. You'll probably have massive scars."

“So, I made it home.”

“Yeah, you crazy son of a bitch. You made it home.”​

Montel Williams sat upright in his hospital bed. Of all the survivors, he was the most cogent. His left arm was in a cast, his humerus broken by a Revolutionary Guard’s bullet. Alone in the room, he watched the television. Flicking through channels, he finally tuned it to CNN, catching it in the middle of a commercial break.

~”Brewed for and with the express permission of one of America’s all-time great beer drinkers, Billy Carter,” the voiceover announced enthusiastically in a slow southern drawl.​

The commercial cut to Billy Carter himself, standing on a deck next to a barbecue, holding a can of beer.

“This is the best beer I’ve ever tasted,” Carter said, “And I’ve tasted a lot!”​

“Billy Beer!” the voiceover proclaimed as the commercial cut to a close up of a can of Billy Beer, dewy with condensation. “Cheers to good times!”​

The commercial cut back to Carter, wearing a broad grin. “I’m Billy Carter, and I approve this beer!” he said, then took a swig from the can as the commercial quickly faded to black.​

“We go now live to Washington,” the news anchor said, “where President Carter will either confirm or deny a massive military operation rumored to have taken place in Tehran two days ago. News from Iran is sketchy, but sources claim that American special forces raided the capital and killed Ayatollah Khomeini. Iran’s state media has yet to release an official comment, but some disturbing images have filtered out of the country, purporting to depict slain American soldiers hanging in the streets.”​

Walter Mondale stood at the podium, taking questions from the press.

“No, I can’t answer that right now, and you know that,” he said apologetically, yet with a hint of frustration.​

A member of the press corps asked a question, inaudible to Williams.

“The president is making final preparations before he comes to speak. He shouldn’t be much longer.”

Another question, this one just in hearing: “What do you have to say about several countries already condemning America’s actions in Tehran?”

“Those,” Mondale said, sounding flustered, “are both incredibly premature, and coming from nations looking for any opportunity to condemn America, so I don’t feel the need to dignify those countries’ statements with a response.”​

An aide stepped up next to Mondale and whispered in his ear.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” Mondale said, “The President of the United States of America, Jimmy Carter.” Mondale stepped away from the podium as Carter walked out to it.

“Hello, my fellow Americans,” Carter said, “It is my bittersweet duty to announce that on April 25th, 1980, the United States of America’s elite Delta Force operators infiltrated the city of Tehran, and carried out justice against Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini; the man responsible for the Tehran Embassy Massacre. While every effort was made to take the Ayatollah alive, to be extradited to America to face prosecution, the Ayatollah and his men resisted, and in the ensuing battle, he was killed.”​

Cameras flashed on the president as he made his announcement.

“This day is bittersweet because, as I must sadly say, many of America’s finest men perished in the effort to deliver justice. At the present time, 79 of the 241 soldiers are either dead or missing. These men paid for justice with their own blood, and will be remembered as heroes. We, the living, must now continue their work.

“Today,” Carter continued, “Two battalions of American marines will be deployed into the city of Tehran, as the second stage of Operation Eagle Claw. They will stabilize the city, oust the revolution, and search for any survivors of the raid who remain within Tehran. Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi will be restored to his rightful throne, and peace will be restored to Iran.”

“Our predecessors fought in Vietnam to stymie the Soviet Union. It was a factional war, fought for selfish reasons. Today, America fights in Iran to stymie the forces of extremism and hate. Today, America fights to bring peace to a world crying out for it. Today, America declares war, not on Iran, but on terrorism itself; in all its forms, and all its hiding places.”

“However, it is only through co-operation that this war can be won. I call out now to every nation to join us in our quest. From London to Paris, from Ottawa to Peking, from Tokyo to Canberra, from Rio to Johannesburg, from Washington to Moscow, we call all peoples to join in the cause of justice. To stand as one, and declare that the people of the Earth will not bow down to those who would rule over them through fear. We will find the agents of hate who threaten the world, and we will bring them to justice. We will take away their safe places, rob them of their comfort and destroy their power. Only once we do this can we be assured that ours is no world for tyrants.”

“Today, we declare a War on Terror.”​

---------------------------

“Who controls the past now controls the future
Who controls the present now controls the past
Who controls the past now controls the future
Who controls the present now?
Now testify.”

-Rage Against the Machine​

Last edited:
Good update.
Was the Shah well enough at that point? He died of cancer in July 1980.

I think Carter might be referring to his son, IIRC also named Reza (I may in fact have discussed him earlier in this thread), who would be old enough to ascend the Peacock Throne without needing a regency.

Only two battalions, though? In Tehran, of all places? It looks very much as if Carter is still trying to do things as minimalistically as he can, and we all know how well things work when you try to do something with the absolute minimum of forces possible...If he's going to do this, he really should be sending an entire Marine Amphibious Brigade (if those were around in 1980) or even a whole division.

I think Carter might be referring to his son, IIRC also named Reza (I may in fact have discussed him earlier in this thread), who would be old enough to ascend the Peacock Throne without needing a regency.

Only two battalions, though? In Tehran, of all places? It looks very much as if Carter is still trying to do things as minimalistically as he can, and we all know how well things work when you try to do something with the absolute minimum of forces possible...If he's going to do this, he really should be sending an entire Marine Amphibious Brigade (if those were around in 1980) or even a whole division.

I'll be the first to state that I'm not an expert on terminology like that. Which is to say that I don't know off the top of my head how many men are in a battalion. :eek:

I meant to convey that the forces going into Tehran are sizeable but not enormous, since this is still fairly short notice from the massacre, and huge forces haven't had time to fully mobilize. What size of force do you think would fit that?

I also goofed the Shah's name slightly, he went by Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. Fixing that.

I'll be the first to state that I'm not an expert on terminology like that. Which is to say that I don't know off the top of my head how many men are in a battalion. :eek:

I meant to convey that the forces going into Tehran are sizeable but not enormous, since this is still fairly short notice from the massacre, and huge forces haven't had time to fully mobilize. What size of force do you think would fit that?

I also goofed the Shah's name slightly, he went by Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. Fixing that.

Battalion is about 1200 men, so 3 Battalions would only be about 3600 men. You probably mean Brigade (about 5000 men) which is about 15000 men total. More on the scale that even a minimum effort would be expected. It would probably be lead by 3 Battalions but it would be followed up by the rest of the Brigades.

Good update!

What you probably want is what is now called a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), but what then was known as a Marine Amphibious Unit (MAU):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_expeditionary_unit

Bear in mind that the Wikipedia article specifies current equipment (as of 2013); in 1980, the tanks, for instance, would have been M60's, and the MAU wouldn't have had Humvees at the time, but jeeps, as the Humvee was still in the prototype stage. The core of the MAU was a reinforced infantry battalion with aviation, artillery, logistics and other support elements, intended to act as a self-contained force, and would probably have had a personnel strength of about 2,200 men. Googling reveals that the 31st MAU was already on-station in the Gulf at this time, so it would be one of the units used for the operation. In any case, we're talking about less than 5,000 Marines, if you choose to go with two MAU's, on the ground to occupy the capital and national metropolis of Iran, with a population that's at least largely neutral, and in many cases will be outright hostile, with the Revolutionary Guard fired up to avenge Khomeini.

Sending that small a force into such an environment is a recipe for disaster that I don't think even Carter would authorize. as tchizek says, what you really want is at least three Marine Amphibious Brigades (15,000 men, though I'd argue even that isn't nearly enough for a city the size of Tehran under these circumstances), though those should really be followed-on/replaced by Army forces if the plan is for a long-term occupation.

First the Marine unit deployed would be Marine Amphibious Units (MAU) until 1984.

The other thing to remember is that MAU's, Brigades and Divisions are not just groups of Battalions.

While the basic force structure is
Squad = 10 men
Platoon = 3 x squads
Company = 3 x Platoon
Battalion = 3 x Companies (This this the Level of the MAU with several extra attached units).
Brigade = 3 x Battalions
Division = 3 x Brigades

At each level there are "heavy weapon attachments" and a headquarters so a Platoon includes a heavy weapons squad and a headquarters (Platoon leader, Platoon Sergeant, Company Clerk, Medic etc.) so is not 30 men at max strength but closer to 45. While a Company includes a heavy weapons Platoon that includes mortars and heavy machine guns plus a larger headquarters Platoon.

Battalions are similar to up sized companies, but Brigades and MAUs are where it gets interesting. They have integral medium field artillery, anti-aircraft, anti-armor, attack-Helicopter, (and in the case of the MAU in some cases) non-Helicopter (i.e., ground attack aircraft) assets attached.

Divisions even more that Brigades and MAUs have integral support units beyond infantry or armor. The idea being that MAUs, Brigades and Divisions are self-supporting units that can go in and handle themselves. Battalions and Companies need support from higher units to function, either by attaching other units or through higher unit logistical support. While higher than Battalions are expected to be logistically self-supporting (in theory of course, not really in fact).

Edit: Here is a link to one of the MAUs that was in existence at the time period covered in this chapter. 17th MAU

This is big- and going to get bigger.

Will anyone get the MoH for this?

Maybe.

Also, you haven't seen the last of Billy Carter.

EDIT: just realized I forgot to write some of the post. I've fixed it, but here's what's changed:

"Where am I?” Marcinko wheezed.

“Walter Reed. We flew you here after we found you and the eleven other survivors walking back to base in the desert. Lieutenant Williams told me your bus ran out of gas half-way back. And uh, here,” he said, taking out a pair of white Marine uniform gloves. "You'll want these. Docs said your hands were burned real bad. Went too long without being treated. You'll probably have massive scars."

“So, I made it home.”

“Yeah, you crazy son of a bitch. You made it home.”​

Last edited: