Agricola's Folly- The Tale of a Roman Ireland

not sure if this has already been dealt with, as I havent read through the whole timeline, but I dont think Ireland in this uneverse would be called Ireland, as Ireland comes from the norse, as far as I know. Great timeline, by the wey :)

Abhakhazia

Banned
not sure if this has already been dealt with, as I havent read through the whole timeline, but I dont think Ireland in this uneverse would be called Ireland, as Ireland comes from the norse, as far as I know. Great timeline, by the wey :)

It's not, it's actually called Hibernia. It's called The Tale of a Roman Ireland so people know what I'm talking about, but thanks for reading. :)

Finally getting around to reading all of my subscribed TLs and threads...

Loved the new update. I like your writing style in previous, story-type updates, but this one conveyed a lot of information in a short amount of time in a very palatable way. I also liked the maps interspersed throughout the war so I could tell what was happening without too much Google/Wikipedia searching.

Looks like Rome avoided an internal collapse at the sufferance of the Parthians. I suppose it came down to who could outlast the other internally, while fighting the frontier war in Mesopotamia. Rome had the advantage of being able to resupply the front lines via ship, and it showed.

Keep it up!

~~

Also, I noticed you already nominated this TL for a Turtledove. Just wanted to let you know that I was going to until I did a thread search to find it would've been redundant. :)

Abhakhazia

Banned
Finally getting around to reading all of my subscribed TLs and threads...

Loved the new update. I like your writing style in previous, story-type updates, but this one conveyed a lot of information in a short amount of time in a very palatable way. I also liked the maps interspersed throughout the war so I could tell what was happening without too much Google/Wikipedia searching.

Looks like Rome avoided an internal collapse at the sufferance of the Parthians. I suppose it came down to who could outlast the other internally, while fighting the frontier war in Mesopotamia. Rome had the advantage of being able to resupply the front lines via ship, and it showed.

Keep it up!

~~

Also, I noticed you already nominated this TL for a Turtledove. Just wanted to let you know that I was going to until I did a thread search to find it would've been redundant. :)

Thanks, the reason I nominated it myself was to attract attention to it.

Yeah, I'll try to enter more maps and media into the timeline. I'm keeping it is this form for the next couple updates to keep it moving through the long 3rd century and then go back to my previous style, and back to the timeline form for the 5th century and then finish the timeline with a finale covering Rome's collapse from 512 to 547. The empire will end in a "creative" way. Not what you'd expect. Then I'll do a timeline for the immediate post-imperial period, and finish it up in a fun way (PM me if you want details).

Sorry for not getting updates out as fast as I could, I'm in Arizona with a buddy and the place we're staying, while nice, has very spotty internet access and I can't post updates with out something screwing up. So the timeline's on hold until after the Turtledove's (hopefully we'll win New Ancient Period, I'm counting on the support of you guys!)

Abhakhazia

Sounds good; hope the weather in Arizona is better than up here.

Go ahead and shoot me that PM, I'd love to see what you're planning.

It's not, it's actually called Hibernia. It's called The Tale of a Roman Ireland so people know what I'm talking about, but thanks for reading. :)

This quote from infamouspedia may help:

The University of Wales' reconstructed Proto-Celtic lexicon gives *Φīwerjon- (nominative singular Φīwerjō) as the Proto-Celtic etymology of this name.[4] This Celtic form implies Proto-Indo-European *piHwerjon-, likely related to the adjectival stem *piHwer- "fat" (cf. Sanskrit pīvan, f. pīvarī and by-form pīvara, "fat, full, abounding") hence meaning "fat land" or "land of abundance", applied at an early date to the island of Ireland. The Proto-Celtic form became *īweriū [5] in Q-Celtic (Proto-Goidelic). From a similar or somewhat later form were also borrowed Greek Ἰέρνη I[w]ernē and Ἰουερνία Iouernia; the latter form was converted into Latin Hibernia.

Abhakhazia

Banned
In honor of St. Patrick, there will be a special update on Christianity in Hibernia this afternoon. If I have more time, I'll do the second part of the Long Third Century for some more world events, too.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Christianity in Hibernia

Right after the invasion, like in neighboring Britannia, Hibernia had very few Christians within its boundaries. Roman officials worked with native associates to focus on converting the population to some sort of local/Roman hybrid of polytheism, or at least worship of the Emperors. Since most of the early "Roman" settlers were recently retired legionaries and auxiliaries with newly gained citizenship or Romano-Briton, or even Romanized British Celts, Christianity didn't take off in Hibernia for a long time. In fact there are no records of Christians until the mid-2nd century, and even then they were often persecuted, despite Imperial laws passed by Trajan, Hadrian and Antoninus Pius.

Those few Christians increased in number greatly as the Plague of Verus hit, as refugees from the Plague in Italy, Southern Gaul and Hispania, and refugees from the fighting in closer-by Northern Gaul and Germania fled north to the stable provinces of Hibernia and Brittania. According to Marcus Flavius's The Plague, he outlines the extent of immigration saying "By the time the Emperor came close to finishing the reconquest, the Hibernian Governor at the time, Publius Pinarius, was forced to tell the Harbormasters in Valeria and Flaviapolis to turn refugees from [Germania] away, as the Governor worried of urban overcrowding."

But the mark of the refugees was made. Christianity spread like wildfire across Flaviapolis in particular, as the double hit of Italian and Southern Gallic refugees who had converted, and a larger groop of urban poor and homeless because of them hit the city. While Christianity was legal at the time, Governor Pinarius worried that it would harm Imperial control somewhat. The Governor used military force in Southern Hibernia by calling out auxiliaries to prevent new Christian missionaries from infiltrating the Hibernian countryside, where the poor Celtic farmers would be sympathic to Christianity, with no particular zeal for the Roman pantheon their patrons were forcing down their throats.

Several men, known as the "Martyrs of Flaviapolis", snuck through fields and pastures to get past the Governor's barricades. They were often caught by local authorities, who killed them for "disturbing the peace". These men were venerated by Christians for generations to come. Hibernia received its first Bishop in 226, coming from a boost in the church's size with a period of economic strife.

As Caeso Julius Constantius rose to the position of Governor of Hibernia, he became the fifth Christian governor of a province in 300. He loosed many prior restrictions on Christians, and became an active member of the First Council of Caesaraugusta, one of the major early Christian councils, and after resigned to become Hibernian bishop. Governor Constantius became a very scholarly bishop, writing down the History of the Hibernian Church, a work sadly lost to us today, and eventually became a saint, St. Caeso of Hibernia, along with the five known Martyrs of Flaviapolis, one of the seven Hibernian saints.

As the Roman Empire collapsed in the mid and late 500s, the last Hibernian Governor made himself King of Hibernia as the Germanic hordes of Angles, Saxons and Frisians conquered neighboring Britain, the first Kings made themselves very militarized, to scare off the the Germans to the east, with a few even making military incursions into Britain's southwest. As the threat grew more distant when the neighboring Frisians became settled in Cymberland. The seventh Hibernian saint, St. King Trajan IX sent many missionaries among the Picts of Caledonia, the Frisians of Cymberland and the Angles and Saxons of Anglosaxony, where Christianity took off strongly.

Quite interesting. Your mention of a unique fall for the Empire makes me think that the provinces break off in chunks somehow instead of the two emperors in the West and East like we saw OTL.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Quite interesting. Your mention of a unique fall for the Empire makes me think that the provinces break off in chunks somehow instead of the two emperors in the West and East like we saw OTL.

I don't want to give too much away, but yes, that's whats going to happen.
Thanks for reading. :)