Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
We already did that one; it was called "The Mouse that Roared".

Indeed, but that was over 50 rounds ago - I wouldn't mind running it again if people want it. Here's the original challenge text:

The Mouse that Roared

Make a map depicting a world where one nation managed to ultimately succeed over a significantly superior foe in war. This enemy nation need not necessarily be superior in terms of land, population or technology, but it should - on paper - have a significant advantage over the lesser nation in warfare.

Krall

Banned
Is anyone planning to enter this round? I've been thinking of making an entry but haven't gotten around to it yet - I'd hate to think we'd only get one entry in a whole two weeks!

It'd be great if we could decide the challenge for the MotF 75 well ahead of time too, so if any of you have an opinion regarding which challenge suggestions you'd like to see feel free to express it! :)

Is anyone planning to enter this round? I've been thinking of making an entry but haven't gotten around to it yet - I'd hate to think we'd only get one entry in a whole two weeks!

It'd be great if we could decide the challenge for the MotF 75 well ahead of time too, so if any of you have an opinion regarding which challenge suggestions you'd like to see feel free to express it! :)

I'm currently somewhat busy writing two term papers and preparing for an exam, so... Sadly not. Maybe next round.

Krall

Banned
I'm currently somewhat busy writing two term papers and preparing for an exam, so... Sadly not. Maybe next round.

Damned education system - don't they know maps are more important!? :mad:

(In all sincerity I understand and best of luck with your studies!)

I might as well enter a version of that map I recently posted in the Map Thread X, which everyone so rudely ignored :(

I'm working on mine right now, first time entering in a while so a bit rusty. Double and triple checked I'm within the rules this time after the last curfuffle.

Krall

Banned
I at least have one started; my record for finishing on time lately has not been too good. :eek:

Heh, I know the feeling - out of all the rounds I've wanted to enter I must've only managed to finish for about half. :p

I wanted to make a map tutorial before I started on my entry, in hopes that people might follow the tutorial and make maps for MotF 74. If we don't have a decent number of entries by the deadline I can extend the entry period and put the tutorial up then. Hopefully that'd inspire more people to enter! :D

Krall

Banned
Oh I almost forgot, the voting for MotF 73: Off the Map is over!

qrdFgKG.png

tumblr_m97c966QFb1r66pdj.gif

PPfHS9d.png

Zauberfloete's map depicted Kenya in a world both similar and strange. A world where the Cold War continues on, both on Earth and in space. A world plagued by Islamic extremism, but not like our world. Somali Islamists invaded Kenya in hopes of winning their independence as an extremist Islamic state, but Kenya was saved by NATO intervention, and the Kenyan President - one Barack Hussein Obama - is negotiating for the deployment of NATO ground troops at the time of the map.

This map is excellently made - if a little big - consisting of a satellite map with information laid over the top, making it look detailed whilst remaining uncluttered. The presentation was great too, especially Zauberfloete's description of a world so similar and yet so different from our own. These factors along with this entry's popularity make it worthy of an Honourable Mention.

xzLVHhK.png

TheseusDeuteros' map showed a world where Denmark and Germany, two powerful rival states, had fought continuously over the border province of Schleswig. TheseusDeuteros is light on the explanation, but I think we can gather that the continued conflict - conflict fought not for the people of Schleswig, but for the superiority of Denmark or Germany - alienated the people of the region, leading to the formation of a Schleswig state and its later recognition.

This entry is great, using textures and fonts to make it look aged and archaic, with colours and text chosen to enhance the effect. That, alongside the great detail, made this an excellent entry worthy of an Honourable Mention.​

I was hoping you'd make another actual mention of yourself, like that old masterpiece ("his serious hip thrusting seriously threatens my heterosexuality", etc.) you did after god knows what old MoF round.

Krall

Banned
I was hoping you'd make another actual mention of yourself, like that old masterpiece ("his serious hip thrusting seriously threatens my heterosexuality", etc.) you did after god knows what old MoF round.

I was considering it, but couldn't think of anything witty enough at the time. Also there are a ton of appropriate Horrible History gifs I could use, like this one:

tumblr_m2zw4t2sT01ruqkeso2_500.gif

:D

Freizeit

Banned
I'm always tempted to draw a map for the MotF challenge, but then I see the stuff the regulars pump out and then I'm like :( and don't bother.

Krall

Banned
I'm always tempted to draw a map for the MotF challenge, but then I see the stuff the regulars pump out and then I'm like :( and don't bother.

If you never push yourself you're never going to get to their level. I started out making the world's shittiest maps when I first joined AH.com - it's not a talent people just naturally have; you must earn it. You must also understand that making a map is worth doing in and of itself - winning the MotF contest is just a bonus. I've made plenty of maps that didn't win the MotF round they were entered in, but I don't regret making and entering them at all.

If that's not enough, then I'm planning to make a map tutorial sometime very soon, so that should help you out too.

Also your hand drawn maps are pretty cool - definitely better than I can do by hand! :)