Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's going to be a bumpy start as far as relations with Europeans go... Wasn't this something like what happened in Hawaii with that one English bloke who was killed to fulfill a prophecy of some sort? It's an interesting subversion on the common trope of "backwards natives worship advanced newcomers".

I had a classmate who forwent traditional taunts like "pussy" or "wuss" for the more creative "Weengina" (wiener + vagina), so I have to assume that you somehow knew that and incorporated it as the name of a royal death-soldier who's killed twelve men.

More great updates. Jared, I was born and grew up in the Daluming area so your latest posts are particularly interesting to me and I have a few questions.

Is the crystal pyramid to the north side of Yuragir/modern Coffs Harbour i.e. around Sapphire Beach, or is it on Solitary Island? The latter is a dramatic site right on the water, and I could picture Baffin scaling the sea cliffs on the ocean side of Solitary.

IOTL colonial Australia, this area was a centre of shipbuilding from the 1850s-1890s, particularly on the Nambucca and Bellinger rivers just south of Coffs. This was due to the local forests and navigable rivers for floating down timber to the coast. Is there an equivalent timber industry (red cedar?) in Daluming? I get the idea that the locals aren't sailors, but there appears to be plenty of scope for a lumber industry. Would timber for ship-repair and building at least be of some interest to Baffin?

Your references to the Kingdom of Daluming exercising control over the hinterland e.g. Armidale area, are interesting in terms of communications and how this would be managed. Even today there are few roads over the mountains between the coast and Armidale - really just the main road up the Dorrigo escarpment and the lesser Kempsey-Armidale road. Both are dramatic but very steep and winding, particular the direct route up Dorrigo. How does Daluming manage communications with its vassals inland? Do they have an extensive road system over the mountains? If they do control the Tablelands region that would indicate a sophisticated administration system as well as a strong military. Not Roman empire levels of sophistication but such barriers were a problem for even medieval European kings to deal with.

The area is now promoted as the 'Waterfall Way' - do the many waterfalls in the area play a role in local religious affairs?

Damn. Now this is going to be an interesting development for Baffin and his men.

There's plenty of examples in history of indigenous peoples trying to draw colonizers into their social balance, and the purposeful and inadvertent balance the colonizers bring (one example is Native Americans thinking they were exchanging gifts with early colonists, and said early colonists wondering why the Natives alternated between being over-generous and showing up randomly to steal things).

This, however, is pretty dramatic even by those standards. I think it will also give the English a pretext to invade and colonize.

Fascinating. Just brings up how alien the Aboriginal languages could sound to an outsider.

Not just that; they have several other features which make them sound very, very odd and confusing to Europeans, in particular.

For instance, they usually don't distinguish between voiced and voiceless versions of a sound. In English, for instance, "b" (voiced) and "p" (voiceless) are different versions of the same sound which have grammatical meaning, whereas in most Aboriginal languages (both OTL and TTL), the distinction between "b" and "p" is grammatically meaningless - either sound may be used, but the meaning doesn't change. Which can confuse outsiders.

The Gunnagalic languages also have three versions of an "r" (rhotic) type sound, which can get frustrating to English-speakers as they usually aren't used to more than one, and don't draw a grammatical distinction between them even if they can pronounce more than one. Spanish has two versions of rhotic sounds - both of which are different to the English version. Gunnagalic languages (like some OTL Australian languages) have all three as distinct consonants - which can get maddening for English-speakers, and even confusing for Spanish speakers.

This talk on hair colour gene's reminds of an earlier response

I never did find that floppy. Ah well I can always recreate when I'm less velleous.

Would be interested if you can reinvent it.

EDIT: oh and my appreciation of the continuation of thist TL should be taken as read (and goaled? ;))

That's a score!

That's going to be a bumpy start as far as relations with Europeans go... Wasn't this something like what happened in Hawaii with that one English bloke who was killed to fulfill a prophecy of some sort? It's an interesting subversion on the common trope of "backwards natives worship advanced newcomers".

Hadn't come across that Hawaiian story, but yes, this certainly makes Anglo-Daluming relations rather tricky to start with.

And yes, in general, the Aururian societies aren't of the sort to worship advanced outlanders. Respect and even fear sometimes, yes. Worship, no.

I had a classmate who forwent traditional taunts like "pussy" or "wuss" for the more creative "Weengina" (wiener + vagina), so I have to assume that you somehow knew that and incorporated it as the name of a royal death-soldier who's killed twelve men.

Flattering to think that I could be that creative, but actually it's just a slightly tweaked version of an OTL Aboriginal word.

Is the crystal pyramid to the north side of Yuragir/modern Coffs Harbour i.e. around Sapphire Beach, or is it on Solitary Island? The latter is a dramatic site right on the water, and I could picture Baffin scaling the sea cliffs on the ocean side of Solitary.

It's on the south side of modern Coffs Harbour, on Boambee Beach just south of Corambirra Point. If I've got the history right, Corambirra Point would still be an island at this point; no breakwater has been built to join it to the mainland.

IOTL colonial Australia, this area was a centre of shipbuilding from the 1850s-1890s, particularly on the Nambucca and Bellinger rivers just south of Coffs. This was due to the local forests and navigable rivers for floating down timber to the coast. Is there an equivalent timber industry (red cedar?) in Daluming? I get the idea that the locals aren't sailors, but there appears to be plenty of scope for a lumber industry. Would timber for ship-repair and building at least be of some interest to Baffin?

There is certainly scope for a timber industry; while the Bungudjimay have harvested some local timber, they haven't cut it all out yet, by any means. And yes, the locals aren't sailors in a big way. They build a few local boats for fishing and suchlike, but they aren't great navigators; their idea of navigation is basically follow the coast north or south during daylight.

How does Daluming manage communications with its vassals inland? Do they have an extensive road system over the mountains? If they do control the Tablelands region that would indicate a sophisticated administration system as well as a strong military. Not Roman empire levels of sophistication but such barriers were a problem for even medieval European kings to deal with.

Daluming control over the mountainous interior isn't anything so grand. They have built decent roads, although that's largely because those roads are part of the ancient land trade routes for spices, some of which are grown in the lowlands and some in the tablelands.

What happens is that periodically Daluming establishes some level of control over the mountainous regions by dint of considerable military effort. Maintaining this control basically means supporting local chieftains as vassals, who are expected to supply a certain amount of tribute, and have relatives taken as hostages to ensure good behaviour, but who are otherwise mostly left alone. If anything, Daluming is more inclined to send in soldiers to support the vassal chieftains against rebellious underlings if such rebels are trying to establish independence.

Daluming has held the region around Armidale since 1592, but there's no guarantee how long that control will continue. Any form of long-term control would probably require Bungudjimay settlers, which sometimes happens, but most of those settlers are more inclined to move north and south along the coast.

The area is now promoted as the 'Waterfall Way' - do the many waterfalls in the area play a role in local religious affairs?

Yes, along with the carved ancient stone heads which still appear in the general area. Waterfalls are seen as spiritual places which are good to visit; some of them may well have skulls preserved there which for one reason or another were denied the Mound of Memory.

This, however, is pretty dramatic even by those standards. I think it will also give the English a pretext to invade and colonize.

I expect that this is indeed the case; the English now have good commercial motivations (spices) and political pretext to colonise Daluming. Projecting power may be difficult, though at least the core regions of Daluming are coastal.

Thanks for the answers. Like many others I'm keenly awaiting the next post.

If I remember from earlier sections of the story the area north of Daluming is basically populated by relatively primitive societies - much like in our timeline.;)

Even if the gene is recessive when compared to OTL dark hair, that doesn't mean it's recessive when compared to the European genes for blond hair. Some alleles are recessive when compared to some alleles but dominant or co-dominant when compared to others. IIRC, for instance, brown eyes are dominant over blue eyes, but co-dominant when compared to green eyes.

I have read online that F1 crosses between blond aborigines and Europeans (of any hair color) almost always results in ash blond hair, at least as children.

As an aside, does this change the TL at all? It seems modern aboriginal Australians may be around 15% Indian, due to admixture from the Indus Valley Civilization around 2,000 BC. The most plausible explanation is that there were some castaways from a Harappan ship, who not only managed to interbreed with Australians, but possibly introduced the Dingo, and caused a huge continent-wide plague.

Now, this is why most religions tend to be a bit nebulous about the actual date of their apocalypse... :)

Bruce

PS - of course, British conquest will be pretty darn apocalyptic from the local POV...

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'

Not that all the skulls in this room were from the worthy. His Majesty casually sipped his ganyu [spiced yam wine] from the polished skull of the last would-be usurper who sought to claim the throne. The crown of the skull had been smoothly sliced off and re-attached by bronze hinges, while glass had been set to fill the eye sockets, nasal cavity, and ear holes, and both to attach and seal the jaw. The usurper had been denied Memory, but was still remembered.

Thoughts?
If someone really screws up, would their skull be made into a chamber pot?
diablotin.gif

If I remember from earlier sections of the story the area north of Daluming is basically populated by relatively primitive societies - much like in our timeline.;)

Daluming stretches north and south along the coast for quite a way. There are some relatively primitive societies - although all of the farming peoples are in the Bronze Age - then there's the Kiyungu in southern *Queensland, who are somewhat more advanced.

As an aside, does this change the TL at all? It seems modern aboriginal Australians may be around 15% Indian, due to admixture from the Indus Valley Civilization around 2,000 BC. The most plausible explanation is that there were some castaways from a Harappan ship, who not only managed to interbreed with Australians, but possibly introduced the Dingo, and caused a huge continent-wide plague.

That link goes back to another point about blond Aborigines, but I did see media reports about that genetic study you're referring to.

I think it's still too early to figure out what that genetic study means in total, but I rather doubt that the Harappans had anything to do with it. At least directly. That is a long way away, and if they had been Harappans, then I'd have expected other things to be passed on that just microliths (small stone tools) and some food processing.

What's also not clear is whether this gene flow was for all Aborigines, or those on the northern coast. I don't have access to the fully study - on the abstract and media summaries - so I'm not sure whether they obtained genetic samples from various Aborigine populations, or just those in northern Australia - closest to where the Indians likely landed.

As an aside, I doubt that this had much to do with the introduction of the dingo - the dingo's closest relatives are in Southeast Asia - Thailand or nearby.

For the purposes of the TL, though, what it means is that "whatever happened in OTL still happened". So there would have been some northern contact with Indians, and some of them would have moved to Australia, and their technology and/or people spread. This would be around the same time that agriculture was starting in the south... and agriculture would continue developing.

Now, this is why most religions tend to be a bit nebulous about the actual date of their apocalypse... :)

All signs of the apocalypse gratefully accepted. If not, we'll make our own.

PS - of course, British conquest will be pretty darn apocalyptic from the local POV...

There's certainly that... :D

If someone really screws up, would their skull be made into a chamber pot?
diablotin.gif

Who wouldn't want their enemy to really get the shits even in death?

That link goes back to another point about blond Aborigines, but I did see media reports about that genetic study you're referring to.

Sorry, this was the link. Sometimes copy and paste doesn't work properly on my computer for some reason, and instead the second-to-last link I control-c'ed shows up.

What's also not clear is whether this gene flow was for all Aborigines, or those on the northern coast. I don't have access to the fully study - on the abstract and media summaries - so I'm not sure whether they obtained genetic samples from various Aborigine populations, or just those in northern Australia - closest to where the Indians likely landed.

My understanding is that Aborigines have (for similar political reasons to Native Americans in the U.S.) not been genetically studied to any real degree until now. Indeed, Papuan populations have generally been the stand-in for all Australasians, which now looks problematic.

For the purposes of the TL, though, what it means is that "whatever happened in OTL still happened". So there would have been some northern contact with Indians, and some of them would have moved to Australia, and their technology and/or people spread. This would be around the same time that agriculture was starting in the south... and agriculture would continue developing.

I would say the major concern might be depending on what we find out a retcon of the early part of the TL might be needed. The origin point for the Pama–Nyungan languages is within about 1,000 years of the estimated admixture date, and it's clear these languages spread out from Northern Australia, which has more linguistic diversity, along with two language families related at a further distance. So it's possible there was little-to-no cultural continuity between Australian societies IOTL before and after around 2,000 BC, meaning either the roots of agriculture in the continent need to be a little shallower, or the languages spoken in Southeast Australia ITTL are non-Pama-Nyungan languages which didn't survive IOTL, but managed to due to the greater densities and social structure in the formative period.

Faeelin

Banned
Hey,

Jared, just curious, but how come the Australians made it to the bronze age when some farming societies in the Americas didn't?

Hey,

Jared, just curious, but how come the Australians made it to the bronze age when some farming societies in the Americas didn't?

Greater population density/surplus labor due to the perennial nature of the Aururian crop package, I believe?

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how the presumable Anglo-Daluming War goes...

I would say the major concern might be depending on what we find out a retcon of the early part of the TL might be needed. The origin point for the Pama–Nyungan languages is within about 1,000 years of the estimated admixture date, and it's clear these languages spread out from Northern Australia, which has more linguistic diversity, along with two language families related at a further distance. So it's possible there was little-to-no cultural continuity between Australian societies IOTL before and after around 2,000 BC, meaning either the roots of agriculture in the continent need to be a little shallower, or the languages spoken in Southeast Australia ITTL are non-Pama-Nyungan languages which didn't survive IOTL, but managed to due to the greater densities and social structure in the formative period.

My working assumption had been that incipient agriculture started around 8000-7000 BC in the sense of "starting to preferentially harvest red yams", with hunter-gardener populations developing in a couple of thousand years after that, and then fully sedentary peoples

The butterflies from such an ancient change would pretty much obliterate the Pama-Nyungan language family as we know it anyway, along with all actual languages from OTL. Although some of the older language families from northern Australia may survive, the actual languages would be entirely different. So in a sense, all *Australian languages are non-Pama-Nyungan languages anyway.

Now in OTL the question of how and why the Pama-Nyungan languages spread is a fascinating one, albeit one in which we have only sparse evidence. But I'm far from convinced that there was a total population replacement. While language shifts can certainly be a result of large-scale population replacement (e.g. Bantu speakers spreading through sub-equatorial Africa), this is not always the case (e.g. it's not clear whether the spread of the Celts involved population replacement).

And what evidence we do have suggests considerable cultural continuity before and after 2000 BC, such as the eel farmers of the OTL Gunditjmara, who did speak a Pama-Nyungan language, but were farming eels in the same place in the same way since roughly 8000 BC, or some of the stone mines in Victoria which were in continuous use for even longer. So the spread of the Pama-Nyungan languages did not necessarily involve cultural or population replacement.

For ATL purposes, even if there is a spread of some new language family - *Pama-Nyungan - from northern Australia around 3000 BC, it won't pass the barrier of the Murray, which has been settled by hunter-gardener peoples for 1000+ years by then. That would leave south-eastern Australia inhabited by a cluster of different language families, until the Gunnagalic-speaking peoples began their own linguistic expansion across much of the continent, displacing most other languages except for a couple of isolates (the *Gunditjmara, a couple in the highlands of the Monaro plateau, and the Bungudjimay around *Coffs Harbour).

What this might change is some of the most distant linguistic relationships I'd posited, such as that the Gunnagalic languages were distantly related to the languages of south-western Australia. I'd have to think about that.

Hey,

Greater population density/surplus labor due to the perennial nature of the Aururian crop package, I believe?

Partly the extra labour surplus of Aururian crops making earlier development of metallurgy more practical, but also the nature of the available metal resources in an area seems to affect the development of metallurgy.

In OTL, the farming peoples of eastern North America had access to native copper in such abundance that they could work that, and never seem to have needed to develop even copper metallurgy.

The peoples of Mesoamerica never seem to have developed metallurgy natively at all, probably due to the local ores not being in a form conducive to the development of wide-scale metallurgy. Even after metallurgy spread there from South America, they made relatively limited use of it.

In South America, they did reach the bronze age eventually, of course, but rather later than in the Old World.

In *Australia, in the regions where agriculture started, there's enough native or semi-native copper to get things started in copper working, but not so abundant that it would remove the need to start actual copper metallurgy. In addition, the copper reserves in the area have enough naturally occurring arsenic impurities to more or less ensure the development of arsenical bronzes once people were smelting copper. The development of a bronze age flowed from that.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how the presumable Anglo-Daluming War goes...

Will be seen in due course, although naturally it will take a while to project power that far. Baffin only has a couple of ships; not much is happening until (or if) he gets home, and then for at least a couple of years after that.

Forcing Europeans to fight for the honor of having their skull in the Mound is going to anger people back in Europe, if word of this gets there.

Forcing Europeans to fight for the honor of having their skull in the Mound is going to anger people back in Europe, if word of this gets there.

I think the general opinion in Europe is going to be: Obviously people who commit such savage acts can't rule themselves! They must be put under the firm but gentle hand of civilization! Better pack the smallpox blankets, we're going south!

I think the general opinion in Europe is going to be: Obviously people who commit such savage acts can't rule themselves! They must be put under the firm but gentle hand of civilization! Better pack the smallpox blankets, we're going south!

Making good Englishmen get a terminal case of religion certainly isn't go to endear the Daluming to Europeans.

Oddly enough, though, this is where Nuyts' failure to conquer the Yadji may work in the natives' favour. Just as in OTL the spectacular (but lucky) success of Cortes inspired plenty of others to underestimate how difficult being a conquistador was, ITTL Nuyts' defeat may lead Europeans to overestimate how deadly the natives are.

Nuyts' defeat was a closer-run thing than Euros realise, and so the message is that the natives are Very Dangerous, and that projecting power across half the globe is a difficult thing indeed.

Not that this will stop England trying something, of course, but it's something to bear in mind.

Lands of Red and Gold #61: A Time For Harmony
Lands of Red and Gold #61: A Time For Harmony

Ta mal-pa Pliri, ni gapu-pa Bula Gakal-girri marang.” (There is but one Harmony, and only the Sevenfold Path will give it balance.)
- The traditional affirmation of faith made by the Nangu school of Plirism

May-December 1637
Ngamotu, Lands of the Ngati Apa iwi, Te Ika a Maui, Aotearoa [New Plymouth, Taranaki, North Island, New Zealand]

Every land has its own rhythm. Its own cycles, its own patterns and ways of conduct into which every man and woman would find themselves falling. Cycles of months and years: the turning of the seasons, the collections of the harvest. Cycles of proper times for conduct: times for festivals, times for restraint, a time for war, and a time for peace. Cycles of life itself: birth to childhood to adolescence to adulthood to marriage, creation of a fresh generation, aging, death and finally rebirth.

Or so it seemed to Nameless the priest. He had quickly found the rhythm of the Maori lands. Even before he had learned much of their language and their ways, he found himself fitting into their rhythm.

Much of this land’s rhythm he found familiar. So many crops and spices were the same: red yams, wealth-trees [wattles], murnong, sweet peppers, river mint, and many others. The cycle of planting, tending and harvest was the same on both sides of the Gray Sea [Tasman Sea]. Ducks and noroons [emus] were the same too, both in their behaviour and their taste, though he missed the geese of the Cider Isle [Tasmania], especially food fried in goose fat.

Yet much of the land’s rhythm was strange, too. Their rituals and worship were entirely alien: acknowledgement of their genealogy and bloodlines; long recitations of deeds, both their own and their ancestors; poetry both spoken and chanted to music; dances and music of most peculiar form.

Unusual, too, was how their entire town’s life focused around the open, paved area which they called the marae. Everything except eating seemed to happen here: not just their rituals and dances, but everyday discussion of events, welcoming or rejection of visitors, the place to practice their crafts like their odd form of tattooing, and where they had held two weddings and one mass funeral that he had seen so far.

Or, rather, everything except eating and weaving. Even on the Island, people knew of the superior form of flax which the Maori grew on Aotearoa. On the Cider Isle, he had seen that textiles and rope woven from that flax were the major trade good which the Maori exchanged for bronze and spices. Here in Aotearoa, he saw how it formed the largest part of their lives, at least for the women and slaves: cultivating and harvesting the flax was part of the rhythm of the seasons, while washing, bleaching, fixing, softening, dyeing and drying the completed fibres became part of the rhythm of many individual lives [1].

In all, living in Aotearoa had quickly shown Nameless that this land had its own rhythm and customs, and that the Maori used this to bring themselves into their own form of marang [balance]. Not a perfect balance, naturally; only the Sevenfold Path could bring that to a land. But still, living here had reminded him that many peoples had part of the truth.

The Maori king and his chieftains here, for instance, considered it a mark of their mana to harshly punish someone who acted outside of their station. Death could come quickly to anyone who transgressed the unwritten codes of Maori life. A woman who spoke out of turn, a low-ranking person who failed to show proper respect, or a slave who committed even a minor infraction. All of them could face death.

On the Island, or the Cider Isle, or any place which had learned much of the true path, death would be considered too severe an action. Yet for all of that, all Maori understood their station in life. They had grasped part of the Second Path, that everyone should act in accordance with tradition and station.

Indeed, it seemed to him that the Maori were closer to the truth than some other peoples. Take the barbaric Atjuntja, as Nameless had discovered when he resided for a time in the Nangu Quarter of the White City [Albany, Western Australia]. The Atjuntja had grasped a little truth, no matter how they concealed it in their fables of Lord and Lady. Even part had a pain in life, Nameless knew. Some priests spoke of a world in perfect harmony as being one without pain, but he knew better. Pain can help, or can be necessary, much as a Gunnagal physician caused pain when removing a diseased tooth.

The Maori, too, with their endless cycle of revenge and retribution, knew that every action has consequences. What they had not yet learned – though perhaps he might teach them – was how to choose the best response. Sometimes violence must answer violence, but at other times the answer would be not to respond. The Maori had to balance their knowledge of the Second Path with the guidance of the First and Third Paths.

So Nameless had remained among the Maori to learn their ways, as he done among the Atjuntja and Kurnawal before them. The weeks turned into months, and he found the rhythm of the land, and he learned. The Kalendi had conducted their trade mission and gone, and while Nameless cared little for the minutiae of commerce, that young captain seemed to have done well for himself. The captain had made various intimations that he or another Kalendi captain would return. Perhaps they would; it did not matter. There would be a way home if Nameless needed one. There was always a way, for one who followed the Sevenfold Path properly.

When the Kalendi traders had departed, they took the interpreter Nardoo with them. The interpreter was a coward – though he concealed it well enough that anyone who was not a priest might not recognise it – but still, the man had been very helpful in communicating with the Maori. His departure left Nameless much more hard-pressed to understand the people of Aotearoa.

Nameless persisted, though. He had never been a man to lose hope easily, and the Third Path dictated that an action, once commenced, should not be lightly abandoned. He learned the Maori language as quickly as he could, aided by those here who knew something of the Nangu language.

Soon enough, he found himself in a position where he could give proper advice, to those who sought it. A considerable number of people wanted his guidance. For these Maori, who called themselves the Ngati Apa, had a surprising number of Plirites. Distressingly, most of these adherents were men and women of lower classes. That would never do, in the long run. All must be Plirite for a society to be properly harmonious, but most notably the rulers. The head controlled the body, and the rulers set the tone for the land.

None of which stopped him giving proper advice to all who asked. Sadly, those who called themselves priests here were but half-trained locals, bereft of communication with other more experienced priests on the Island who could help them along the Seventh Path to improve their own understanding. He found out, eventually, that the last Island-born priest had died five years before, and the people here had been lacking in guidance ever since.

Nameless had expected to be in a position to give advice to individuals. Respectful of Maori custom, though, and mindful of the maxim that counsel is usually best given alone, at first he gave his instruction away from the marae. What surprised him –though, on reflection, it should not have – was when the Maori started to call on him to speak during the discussions at the marae.

He struggled with that concept, at its inception. A community needed to work together to be in proper harmony, but nonetheless the road to understanding was one each individual must tread alone, at their own pace. But the Maori were much for speaking at the marae, at least for individuals who were deemed to have mana. The Maori king eventually made his decisions privately – or in conference with his high kin – but he usually first informed himself by letting the high-ranking men and women of the community offer their views.

So, for all that it went against his preferences, Nameless adapted to the rhythm of this land, and began to speak at the marae, offering his counsel on matters as they arose. He spoke at times of the Paths and how they offered guidance, though he was careful never to couch his views as absolutes, only as part of what would help the community reach understanding. He offered choice quotes from Oora Gulalu [The Endless Road] where he found its eloquence greater than his own.

And the Maori listened. Nameless was one voice among many, at first, but as he found more of the rhythm of this land, he found that his voice was heeded more and more.

One day, the marae saw a particularly vigorous debate about how to manage a dispute between two subkings. Or ariki hapu, as the Maori called them [2]. Nameless offered his views, as he always did, about how best to avoid turning the dispute into a vendetta. The debate ended, as it usually did, with King Arapeta withdrawing into the wharenui, the great hall which formed the more private part of his palace. As normal, the king invited a number of the high-status speakers to join him. More unusually, the invitation was extended to Nameless.

Inside the wharenui, the king said, “Tell me more about why you believe that I should end the conflict between Pomare and Henare Kaihau... equally, you say?”

“Without favouring one side over the other,” Nameless said.

One of the younger chieftains said, “A leader must be strong and reward those who show the greatest mana.”

The king held up a hand. “Let Bana [Nameless] speak. I would hear him.”

Nameless said, “Pomare and Henare Kaihau lead different hapu, but they are part of the same iwi. Part of the same community. Fighting between them only weakens the iwi as a whole. Favouring one over the other would bring disharmony to the iwi.”

“If I order them to stop fighting, then their warriors will be deprived of war, of the chance to prove themselves and their deeds. Do you say that warriors should not fight?” the king asked.

“Sometimes war is proper. Sometimes it is not. I have not heard anyone say what Pomare and Henare Kaihau have done that makes war proper, only that each fights because the other does.”

“Once the first blow is struck – for whatever reason – the other must respond,” the king said.

The lack of a clear explanation could only mean that no-one really knew which of the two hapu had the right of it. Which was why this dispute must be ended. “And then the other must respond to the second blow, and again and again.”

“That is how life works,” the same younger chieftain – Ngata – said.

“And so should they fight each other in perpetuity?” Nameless said. “Both are of this iwi; if their hapu are weakened by endless warfare, the iwi is diminished.”

The king said, “And is this how your people solve disputes on your Island?”

Nameless said, “Sometimes. Many things must be considered. Feuds and vendettas are part of our history.” More frequently than Nameless would have liked, in fact, but he glossed over that. “Sometimes they are necessary. Sometimes they are not. And even when they are necessary, in time they must be ended. Or the whole Island would be harmed.”

Ngata said, “A feud ends when one side concedes the superior mana of the other.”

“Or when the fighting between them goes on for so long that another iwi invades,” Nameless said. “One who is not weakened by infighting between its hapu.”

The king gave Nameless a long, steady gaze. The priest returned it calmly. At length, the monarch said, “I would speak with the priest alone.”

After the others departed, the king said, “You held back many of your thoughts. Speak plainly now.”

Nameless said, “What we have learned on the Island is that the response to a vendetta is one of the measures of a true leader, rather than a mere man who gives orders. Sometimes vendettas must happen. What marks a true leader is one who can determine when such feuds must end. Sometimes a feud or raid must be done, for honour, to ensure that men learn that their actions have consequences.”

“And so?”

“What you must remember is the consequences of your own actions. If those actions mean that what follows will be worse for you and the iwi who depend on you, that is when you must consider what must be done to end a vendetta.”

The king shook his head. “I will consider this.”

Nameless bowed, and started to withdraw, until the king held up a hand.

“I would like to hear more of your Island, in the days ahead,” King Arapeta said.

Nameless almost offered to give the king a copy of The Endless Road, to let the king find out for himself. Then he decided against it. That book contained too much truth for the king to absorb at once. Too many things which a Maori mind would need to unlearn, and to hear all of them at once might be too repelling.

Besides, he was not even sure if the king could read. Some Maori could, but most did not. The role of scribe was not particularly prestigious in this land, no matter how essential they were to running the kingdom.

Instead, Nameless said, “I will tell you more.”

[1] Historically, the Maori in Aotearoa made extensive use of textiles created from New Zealand flax (Phormium tenax and P. colensoi), creating everything from clothing to fishing nets to cooking utensils to baskets to cordage to lash together ocean-going canoes. However, the plants were abundant enough that the Maori simply harvested what they needed from the wild; they rarely (if ever) cultivated the plants. Despite this, cultivation of New Zealand flax is quite simple, and the plant has been established overseas as a fibre crop, e.g. the island of St Helena had an economy which was basically dependent on a monoculture of New Zealand flax for much of the twentieth century.

Allohistorically, the much higher population in Aotearoa means that the Maori have taken up active cultivation of New Zealand flax, and also conduct more slave raids to secure slaves to work it. The greater demand means that the gender divide about working the plant has also been reduced; the historical Maori regarded weaving of flax as women’s work, and Maori men did not take up weaving flax until the development of an export trade in the nineteenth century.

[2] Each Maori iwi, or kingdom, is divided into a number of hapu (roughly translated as clans), which in turn are further subdivided into whanau (roughly translated as localities). An ariki, or leader, rules each of these subdivisions: ariki whanau lead a locality, ariki hapu lead a clan of various whanau, and the ariki iwi is more or less a king.

Thoughts?

Is executing women for speaking out of turn a result of the butterflies caused by Aururian contact, or was that something that the OTL Maori did? It seems pretty surprisingly misogynist, to be honest.

Yet much of the land’s rhythm was strange, too. Their rituals and worship were entirely alien: acknowledgement of their genealogy and bloodlines; long recitations of deeds, both their own and their ancestors; poetry both spoken and chanted to music; dances and music of most peculiar form.

If Nameless has spent much time on the Cider Island, are long recitations of bloodlines and ancestral deeds going to be that alien? Or is he just comparing the Maori to the Nangu?

Anyway, interesting to see a Nangu missionary at work, and it looks like he may have his opening to bring Plirite ideas to the Maori upper class.

(Also, maybe it's just because I've been rewatching Firefly this month, but I'm getting a bit of a Sheperd Book vibe from Nameless...)

Status
Not open for further replies.