When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread

Korea = not there any more; US would probably hit the DPRK and the Soviets hit the ROK.
South Africa = not there any more, per the main thread.
Ireland = NI was hit - Belfast and Lisburn were certainly targets. Shannon and Dublin would also be very likely to be hit to deny them to NATO.
Romania = would be the target of NATO tactical and theatre nuclear weapons.
Panama = Soviets probably targeted the canal.

The Sun Sets Behind the High Hill - Epilogue, Part I

Starting from the end. A bit of a surprise, I know... :eek: But why the heck not ? :D Part II of the Epilogue will be posted in the coming days. Until then, consider this (Part I) as a teaser of sorts. ;)

(Note that the future versions of the text might change, this is all non-canon for now.) Enjoy the read.

- - - -

Munich, 9th of August 1984

Sitting on the mantlet of a dormant-for-weeks T-72, he picked the last cigarette from the packet. He brought it up to his lips and almost put it between them, but he paused, thinking about what he was just about to do. The last. Last cig, last packet, last ephemeral souvenir from back home, he thought. There will still be plenty of the more permanent souvenirs, but from now on, these use-once-throw-away ones will only be rarer and rarer. Until there are none. He’d long stopped entertaining the thought of going back home. Sure, he found the idea of a little farming town of no more than 5000 souls in the southern Russian SSR getting nuked to be laughable, but how could he be sure ? He took a long look at the cigarette, weighing it between his fingers as if it was some ancient relic, deserved to be cherished, put in a museum exhibit and spoilt with regular dusting off and restoration works. All news they could gather from abroad (i.e. not much) suggested there probably wasn’t much of an USSR to return to. He had decided. He pulled out the cheap lighter from his pocket, lighting it up.
For some odd reason, at that very moment, he had remembered a few chapters and scenes from one of the latest Strugatsky novels. Beetle in the Anthill. He read it roughly two years ago, out of curiosity and boredom. The chapters he remembered the most were the retrospective ones, where the protagonist is reading the report from Lev Abalkin‘s and Schekn’s recon mission. Ah yes, the empty, dilapidated, destruction filled streets of the towns on Hope. What an ironic name for a planet. Who the hell thought up that codename ?! As the war from several months prior had already passed into recent historical memory, he could now compare. Compare the gloomy descriptions of the desolate, almost haunted cities of Hope with the gloomy visions of desolate, ruined cities all around Germany. All around Europe. All around the world.
Maybe it wasn’t such an ironic codename for a planet after all... At least in the novel, the cities were still mostly standing, if decaying. Here ? Most cities on this continent are little more than huge piles of rubble, trash and irradiated dust. Nah, I guess that scary craphole called Hope was actually better ! Thinking about other tidbits of the novel, he came to a sudden realization. The title itself. Abalkin’s real origins. It’s all too familiar. Sure, it isn’t literally the same, but... Munchen is an anthill. We’re the beetles here. We’re transplanted, we don’t belong here. The ants are – unsurprisingly – giving us the message. And despite beetles being big and strong, the sheer numbers and determination of ants can handle even the toughest of zhuki. If the bugs want to live alongside the ants, they’ll have to learn how to appease the ants. Otherwise the beetles will get stung and... eaten... Slowly lifting the lighter like an athlete would a torch at the opening ceremony of the Olympics (damn, there weren’t any this year), he almost threatrically lit his last USSR-produced cigarette.
"Kostya Alexeyevich, you greedy little arsehole... Not enough that you stashed away those three packets bought at home for nearly half a year, now you won’t even share. And here I was hoping you’d offer me at least one opportunity to taste something nice and domestic before you run out of the stuff…" It wasn’t an angry outburst. More of a statement of disappointment and disapproval.
"Ya know, Dima, if we don’t get into fights with the Swiss over some dermo misunderstanding and the higher ups broker some kind of peace agreement, I think we can hope for a rather nice retirement over here. Like… Sure, the defence guys back at home blew a chunk of this place to shit and the Anglos nearly tried to finish the job, but let’s be grateful: We can still live here. People can still live here. The boys have sweeped the area regularly with the dozis and Geigers that we still had…"
"...or requisitioned from the ruins..." added Dima, with a cheeky, but tired-looking smile.
"That too," said Kostya, returning a mild grin that vanished as soon as it had come. "And, well, my point is that the rads are mostly down where we are, the winds aren’t that much of a threat as they were in March..."
"March ! Blyad. Ugly month.", exclaimed Dima.
"Sorry, I’m trying to forget as well."
"We all are, kid."
Dima wasn’t much older than Kostya, but his rank and ongoing service in what remained of the Soviet forces radar surveillance units gave him a certain dose of mildly self-important conversation maneurisms. Still, like all lowlier men of the Soviet survivors from around Munich, the duo had largely switched to adressing each other by their given names or nicknames. Again, with probably no Soviet Union and Soviet Army to return to… Highly informal interservice camaraderie between soldiers of vastly different army units that was unthinkable a mere few months ago was now the rule, not the exception. Dima and Kostya adhered to this new unwritten rule.
"Where was I ? Rads are lower, some places even in the vicinity of the city are still not all that safe, but it is improving. People can still live here, there’s enough surviving stuff to aid reconstruction and everyday life. We can defend the city for the time being and protect the locals from any managable outside threats. And we can keep trying to get along with them and helping them with the clean up. In ret…"
"But let’s not forget what happened in the spring and early summer. Especially Slesa…"
"Yeah, I know, after that doofuss Slesarev’s actions, we almost got the short end of the stick… I wouldn’t blame the locals. What that major did was unacceptable, particularly at the time when we were improving relations with the townsmen… Fuckin’ durak, don’t miss him one bit ! Earned his name on the bullet… We’re lucky they forgave us and that it didn’t break out into an all-out revolt. We could have been smellin’ violets from beneath the earth now, all thanks to him…", he finished his short rant, spitting aside with disgust. "So, in return..."
"In return, the people of Munich will allow us to stay here, live here and we’ll all eventually figure out a way to coexist. I hope so too, kid. That’s the plan. Our only viable long-term plan. We can’t keep most of the leftover crap running for too long…"
"Tell me about it...", a pensive nod from the mantlet throne.
"...there’s no point in isolation, the city needs supplies and trade partners…"
Slow but eager nods from atop the mantlet.
"...people need to find their purpose again and start cleaning up the mess. We’ve busted the world to pieces, and now… we might as well put it back together. Though the top brass are still kind of trying to follow army protocol here and there, let’s face it: Our job is done, our cause is… mostly gone… so is our homeland… our place is here, mostly as future civilians. An armistice is at the door step. The occupation is a whatchamacallit… transitional period. Sooner or later, it will end and we’ll have to stop pretending that playing soldiers can keep us alive forever. Maybe I could still work in a token Bavarian army that we’ll keep just in case – radar crews will be hard to come by in the following years – but I certainly can’t see the conscripts lying about for eternity. Could lead to problems and, besides, they’ll turn into lazy gits… A deal needs to be banged out with the local pre-war authorities, we need a normal government, etcetera. I get it, you get it, the boys get it, the Germans get it and want it the most. Our top brass seems to finally be getting it. So let’s hope these supposed talks will bring us closer to something resembling a viable future."
He sounded determined and surprisingly idealistic, nearly forgetting himself in his increasingly passionate speech to an audience of two – one of flesh and one of steel. He finally paused, took a few deep breaths and, much like Kostya, alternated between looking around and staring into empty space.
"Dammit, boy, I’d love to be back home in Omsk, but I’m not naïve enough to think I’ll get back there anytime soon. Hopefully, it still stands. At least a bit. Just one, tiny bit…"
Kostya thought of his hometown again, staring in front of himself and inhaling another dose from the precious last fag, the Holiest of Last Russian Cigarettes. And then... What ? An end already ? Pity ! Pulling it from his lips, he stared at the smoked-out cigarette. A nonchalant Dima, hands folded on his chest, observed the young tankman’s sad little ritual.
"Are you gonna utter a prayer for it ?" he chuckled sarcastically.
Kostya shook his head slowly and instead of an answer, he waited until the fag cooled down, then put it with care back in the packet, and slipped the packet back into a trouser pocket.
"For safe keeping... Proof for the future that we had good tobacco in the Union."
They both burst out into a hearty laugh.
The ringing of a bicycle bell. They both gazed toward where the sound had come from. It was one of the common foot grunts - Volodya or some such - riding a civilian city bicycle, sloppily repainted with some military-evoking colours. Fuel supplies were running increasingly thin. Half the armoured vehicles were put on hold by now. And if you didn’t need too many people to send a message or if the message wasn’t too urgent, a bicycle courier was preferrable to that aboard a UAZ 469 or requisitioned civilian car. While Volodya was hardly a desk jockey, he liked his new job of messenger and part-time bureaucrat.
"Hey, Dima, they want to see you back at your post, ASAP ! Some talk of unidentified aircraft entering Bavarian airspace. A rather slow one, probably a chopper, but they aren’t taking any chances and..."
"Could be a bogey, ey ? All right, coming right over..." sighed Dima. "Nice little conversation we had, kid. Take care." he said to Kostya, turning his back on him while doing something between a careless salute and waving goodbye.

- - - -​

"They seem to be probing the waters. Didn’t fly directly to the city, seem to have hesitated with open radio contact so far. All right, let’s keep an eye on them. Get the phone and alert Kuznetsov from the AA brigade, just in case. If they try to pull anything funny, maybe the old fart will have his fun for the first time since he shot down that British plane months ago…" finished Dima with a bit of sarcasm, some of his co-workers throwing a brief smile or two over the remark.

- - - -​

Half an hour had passed and a change had already come.
"Keep your heads on your shoulders people, the helicopter is coming straight to Munich." said Tobias, from one of the Bundeswehr’s last surviving AA units in the whole of Bavaria. After he, his crew and their Gepard survived and somehow reached Munich, they were in for a nasty surprise in the form of the remaining Soviets. Still, in the post-war weeks and months, the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' principle prevailed and the part-time Bundeswehr POWs were admitted into the ramshackle remains of the Soviet forces in and around Munich. The move pleased most of the citizens, though some booed it as a lazy Soviet attempt at winning back their trust and sympathies after the botched opening months of the occupation.
"Why the hell have they not attempted con..." started Dima.
As if in reply, the radio operator exclaimed, cutting off his colleaugue:
"Sir, getting a signal !"
"Receive and hail them. Also: I want a full report as soon as ground crews get a visual on the damned thing. To the phones, people ! Time is of the essence," ordered Dima’s superior.
"Maybe a late arrival to that peace conference that’s supposed to be tomorrow ?", surmised Dima.
"If so, they’re unannounced and must have been pretty secretive or in a bad situation until now...", replied the superior.

- - - -​

5 minutes later...
"Sir, confirmation from ground crews ! An Mi-8, civilian livery and without any visible armaments. Answered us in three languages. Two sounded familiar, the third we heard more briefly, but it was definitely not Slavic and..."
"A multinational delegation ?!"
"...and the weird thing is... They have two roundels on that thing ! Though one, a circle with white, blue and red, looks freshly painted. The original roundel is next to it, same colours, but different shapes and red instead of blue..."
"Give them the coordinates of the airfield, navigate them if you have to. I think we have an unusual but welcomed visit coming. Rerout their radio calls to our headphones."
Soon afterward, Dima started hearing their voices. The radio operator next to him, an Ukrainian, conjured up an amused smile.
"Well I’ll be damned…" said Dima in disbelief, then followed the Ukrainian‘s example.
Before he could say anything more, the Ukrainian started commenting: "One of the pilots is definitely Hungarian. Still remember that funny language from when I bought those lángos flatbreads with cream. Back when I once got a permit for a vacation at Balaton. Several voices with the same language too. Rest of the lot sound more familiar, like..."
"...let me guess... Czechs and Slovaks..." said Dima, evidently pleased.
Kuznetsov will be pissed off though... he thought with an inner chuckle.

Last edited:

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Interesting stuff, Petike. :cool:

Life seems to be stirring amongst the rubble. Nice to see the view from Munich.

Falkenburg

Interesting stuff, Petike. :cool:

Life seems to be stirring amongst the rubble. Nice to see the view from Munich.

Falkenburg

The Soviets in Munich seemed fairly menacing so far, so I wanted to offer their POV as well (and tie it into the story of my own spinoff). Naturally, the situation they're in during early August is vastly different to the one they were in during February and March. For one, they've pretty much made peace with the locals and surviving Bundeswehr personnel and are mostly looking towards future reconstruction rather than acting like cocksure conquerors. ;) (Even the commanders have had a change of heart over the course of several months.)

I don't want to reveal much about the Slesarev incident - some gruesome acts are better left to the reader's imagination... In any case, the remnant soldiers are slowly but firmly bulding mutual trust with the civilian survivors. As Dima said, they don't have much of a choice and arrogance and violence will get them nowhere. Besides, the vast majority of the common soldiers have started to identify with the plight of the locals - seeing as how virtually everyone in Bavaria is on the same boat, regardless of national origin. The basic motivation of this emerging new society seems to be : "We're people first, soldiers/civilians and Germans/Russians second."

And yeah, it was their pal "old Kuznetsov" who downed the RAF's Canberra. ;) He was serving with a smaller AA garrison in Augsburg about a month prior to this chapter, but has since switched places with the guy who worked in the Munich garrison up until then. :D

Some behind the scenes notes :
- Kostya was originally going to be named Fedya, but then I remembered that DrakonFin already had a Russian character with the same name in his own spinoff.
- I originally wanted to mention the brand of Soviet cigarettes Kostya had kept for himself by name, but eventually opted not to - however, he's supposed to be smoking a packet of Zolotoye Runo-s ("Golden Fleece").
- Volodya will appear briefly in the following chapter, as a bodyguard of the interpretor that will welcome the British and French guests in post-War Munich.
- as hinted at in the text, the hastily painted newer roundel on the helicopter is a Czechoslovak one. The helicopter itself belonged to the pre-War Hungarian government, hence the 50s-80s era Hungarian roundel on it. Why a delegation of surviving Czechoslovak officials (or what passes for it) is hitching a ride along with Hungarian coleaugues in a Hungarian Mi-8 will be explained in the following update. I can't reveal more at this point, but I assure you that a restoration of Austria-Hungary is not in the works. ;) :D

I really liked the way the Munich situation I created is fleshed out by other writers. So far, all of you have absolutey grasped my idea how I meant the situation to evolve in the ongoing months.

Though, I have to admit, that Macragge's plot to bomb the town got me to the edge of the seat (THAT would have been SO CANON).

Petike, best of luck with your CSSR-scenario. As the grandson of CSR-citizens, I will certainly follow it closely!

I really liked the way the Munich situation I created is fleshed out by other writers. So far, all of you have absolutey grasped my idea how I meant the situation to evolve in the ongoing months.

While I can only thank you on behalf of my own part of the Munich's post-war story, I am glad that I captured the basic spirit of what you were aiming for. I have to thank you for your contribution to this ATL. It was an interesting read and did give me a few ideas for how to portray the situation in Munich and how to use the context for future chapters of my own spinoff.

P.S. I've added a bit of music to accompany the part where Kostya and Dima are chatting at the decommissioned T-72. ;)

Though, I have to admit, that Macragge's plot to bomb the town got me to the edge of the seat (THAT would have been SO CANON).

No kidding ! :D ;)

Petike, best of luck with your CSSR-scenario.

Thank you. Once I finish the epilogue, the TL will be in limbo for a while, but I'll sporadically resurrect it to write updates in certain clusters or "bursts". Alas, wholly regular updates will probably not be the rule. And yes, once the TL starts for real, it will get its own thread.

As the grandson of CSR-citizens, I will certainly follow it closely!

Never knew Granny Hörnla and her husband came from further east. :D

Good update, Petike!:)
Mid-long term, Munich can become an hub for transportation and commerce in a rebuilding central Europe, connecting the more intact parts of the west to the more damaged parts of the east.

Good to finally see your writing, Petike! Hoping for more updates in the near future...:)

(Your example inspired me to post a new update too.)

Good update, Petike!:)
Mid-long term, Munich can become an hub for transportation and commerce in a rebuilding central Europe, connecting the more intact parts of the west to the more damaged parts of the east.

Just wait for the next update. I'll be foreshadowing or referencing a lot of the post-war developments in central Europe, including how the survivor states get along and how their politics and economies work. ;)

Good to finally see your writing, Petike! Hoping for more updates in the near future...:)

(Your example inspired me to post a new update too.)

Thank you, I'm delighted to hear praise from my writing role model. :D

BTW, guys, here's an 80s Hungarian Mi-8, largely similar to the one appearing in the first chapter :

Mi-8elso.jpg

(Though this one is directly from the Air Force, it's not government-owned like the one that flew to Munich).

While I can only thank you on behalf of my own part of the Munich's post-war story, I am glad that I captured the basic spirit of what you were aiming for. I have to thank you for your contribution to this ATL.

You are welcome.

Never knew Granny Hörnla and her husband came from further east. :D

Actually, it was both my grandfathers (add to that a step-grandfather), who all hail from what used to be known for some time as the Sudetenland. My grandmothers are from Silesia resp. Westfalia.

Actually, it was both my grandfathers (add to that a step-grandfather), who all hail from what used to be known for some time as the Sudetenland. My grandmothers are from Silesia resp. Westfalia.

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

The Sun Sets Behind the High Hill - Epilogue, Part II

Nižná Jedľová International Airport near Bardejov

Czech & Slovak Federation
14th of May 2012

For Pavol, it wasn’t like the same groundbreaking events from several years ago. There wasn’t that much novelty about the visit. It lacked the pomp and the overblown „another fine addition to our great national history“ atmosphere of the previous ones, like the first official Swiss visit in 1988 or king Charles‘ visit three years ago. Nor was this latest visit something grand, like when the Federation was finally admited into the CEC 10 years ago, along with Hungary and the Polands. Or the biggest event of them all after The Exchange – the signing of the Munich Treaty. (Well, the other one. The newer, more reassuring one.)

He was at all of these.

- - - -​

When he was recruited on a rather nice day in July to what was to be the first post-War diplomatic visit to the West, he was basically a lucky pick. He was no professional photographer, just a hobbyist. You were studying at the STU in the capital before it got pulverized, they said, you have quite a lot of practice with taking snapshots and processing film, we heard… You’d be a valuable asset to us. You’re the best photographer around here that we can recruit in short time. Take it, sonny. We promise there might just be a special place for you in the post-War government. The tone of the old formal patriarchs and their eager young retainers was urgent enough to seem obnoxious, but polite enough to not make him want to slap them on the faces, consequences be damned. He was young back then, younger and obviously a bit more foolish, and legitimately had not all that much to lose. His college was gone, his career (who cares ?!) was uncertain, his mother died mercifully some time before the Exchange. And his father... Damn you, dad. God bless you, dad. His father commited a rather clumsy suicide around when the buds were timidly starting to bloom for the first time in this strange new world. Thud.

He reluctantly agreed and stayed in their service for some time even after the return from the Munich conference. Boy, was he dumb back then ! He grew to regret this, he was eventually allowed to eject, though frowned upon since then by the powers that be. But he continued doing snapshots, whenever he had enough material and whenever there was anything worth covering. It’s a pity I didn’t do many photos of nature back then., he thought. At least I had compensated for it ever since things have… changed. I hope we never go back. In hindsight, it was probably excusable, given what had been happening back then.

Tell the world that you're winning, love and life, love and life...

Happening on and on for years and years after the Exchange. Salvo. Ironically, it was the ones who had once offered him a lucrative place in post-War local society that he had taken snapshots of later. Salvo. Later. Salvo. On the ground. Nice and cosy. Next to a wall. Far from prying eyes. Three-eyed ragdolls torn to shreds in a temper tantrum thrown by the War’s frightening new children. For activities. Salvo. Against the. Salvo. Long-term insurrance. Salvo. Of the survival of. Salvo. The people, the people’s democracy and the values of socialism. Salvo. You work for us now, told him the mischievously cackling barrels of AK-74Us, with a Sa-58 here and there. By then, he didn’t even bother with the thought of fucking traitors. Not all who held the latter cure-all for „public disobedience“ came from within the borders, and not all who carried the weapons of former... allies... were forced into it, just following orders, I swear, dammit, I swear, I’m sor... why are you... fa fuck’s sake, let me g… nooooooo… Salvo. Then again, there was also trouble in telling them apart. Was it getting easier ? Nope, no siree, quite the opposite. Some in uniforms, some in civilian clothing. My God... Salvo. He tried to pinpoint the date of when he took those photos. Dammit. Can’t… Salvo. Súdruh, neblbnite, o čo sa tu snažíte ?! Hej ! Sakra kopec, poplaaaach ! Run, run, run, salvo, Stoyať, grazhdanin ! Poddavat’sya !!!, trip, oh shit, damned ankle and… Thud. Well, great. Thud. Kick. Yell. Threat. Pleas. Dobre, dobre, vzdávam sa ! Nestrieľajte ! Knock. Thud. Salvo. Air. Tired boredom.

I'm shippin' out, out, I'm workin' for the bad guys...

When the boundaries between traitors and loyalists (as well as the earth separating them from the topsoil) grow increasingly waffer thin... You... You just don’t bother with swears anymore. Salvo. You don’t give a damn. Salvo. It’s just pointless. Salvo. You might as well swear at anyone you find suspicious. Salvo. An end to opression, it’s finally here ! It’s finally here, it’s finally here ! Hey, you, with the bloody camera ! Comrade, come over here, we need some photos of this historical moment, don’t worry... We’ll give’em a proper lickin‘ ! Salvo. He was young, but his mind was that of a tired, apathetic geezer. Salvo. We swear it’ll work this time, we have every intent on bringing life back to normal again. Who said that ? They. His pal. Maybe even him ? His pal ? They ? Da hell was even... Salvo.

Listen to the voice sayin' follow me...

The power shuffles had become a new and macabre folklore, eager to displace the endless cult of „sincere and critical“ caucassing, First of May processions, Lenin and Gottwald busts, the pioneer handkerchiefs, the now dead demi-gods of the Central Council and the stuff sent over by your well-heeled westward living relatives. When ?, was the infernal question. Well, of course they bit the dust as the first, they were those who you accompanied to the conference or the ones from your Local National Council or... But who could really tell ? Yes, he had taken the snapshots. Yes, the photos exist. (Ever since the nazis, some people have still not learnt to not take pictures of commited war crimes.) Common sence dictated to him it was not that long after the conference. Salvo. Less than a year ? Make it less than two years. No, that wasn’t quite it. It… Salvo. Everything was a blur. Those… What ? Two years, three years ? Salvo. He couldn’t remember whether it was under one of the many „legitimate provisional governments“ or the... Or maybe it was even five years ?! Kto to má do riti vedieť ?! Objectively, it… Salvo.

When two tribes go to war, a point is all that you can score...

Could not, stand not, could not… Now, then… I reckon’ you don’t want to see your friends kneecapped, súdruh... Smile. Salvo. Democratic republic of this, free state of that, independent nation of something, fuck you, salvo, scared peasants and precautionarily chickened-out townspeople, comical village theocracies and despotates, this is for…, salvo, smug warlords and their bored entourage with increasingly sloppier toys, ya fascist scum, the lot a’you, disorientated and sobbing zombies who once sang boorishly every night and called themselves conscripts of the ČSLA, or of the this and the that, or the... dear comrade, eat lead or I’ll bash your head in either way, salvo, the apathy, the meltdown, the surrender, salvo, their „increased meddling”, the oddly familiar steel beasties with white-and-light-blue and red-and-white flags, the relief, salvo, the fairly bloody clean sweap and mopping up, salvo, armed bumblebees and armoured oxen sowing death wherever they appeared, alongside their beasts of steel and the occasional whirligigs prowling the skies, salvo, no last desperate wacko spared, salvo, ah those were the da…, salvo… The Days of the Wolf.

Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods ?

The Days of the Wolf. A popular name, a now often accepted name. Some would say not only popular, but also populist. An ode to homo homini lupus est, to the one thing that was certain for several years. Homo homini lupus est. Yeah, no kidding... I call bullshit on these post-Change historians, on them and their naming habits for events, them and their romanticized narratives. Wolves don’t bleed each other out over power and wolves don’t have nuts taking over and attempting to build country-sized nuthouses… Call the damned… era… whatever you like, people, historians. We’ve endured it, we’ve scared the living daylights out of ourselves with it, we’ve hopefully learned from it. Hopefully. No, load of bull. We’ve learnt our lesson. Maybe this new world could still be a good place to be… The crumbling, the final fall, the final salvo, the change. Silence. Sudden, golden silence. A change. The Change. And that was one end. No, not one end. More like one mid-point, the mid-point of this new world. Rather recently, but actually quite long ago. Years and years. A bit more than the amount Daniel had now and far more than the amount Zuza and Mirka had. These post-War kids, his kids, had not known the world from before The Exchange. No kids of today knew those years. But they had also not known the local, troubled little world from before The Change. And that was GOOD. And may they never know the world that was inbetween, he thought. Salvo. A different one. Coming from behind the treacle walls of reality. His inner land was slowly receding. And shouts from behind the treacle : K pocte zbraň ! And the relatively rarely heard but unmistakanable whirr and roar of a jet engine. A jet engine of a small plane. The treacle kept increasingly vanishing.

I'm workin' on lovin', I'm givin' you back the good times…

And… So, what about…

…the distant, blurred, surreal memory of the ragdolls ? Yep. What about the ragdolls ?! When ?! It was then. When it was. Don’t lie to yourself. You know when. Maybe you have forgotten the date. And surely you don’t much care, after all the crap…But you know when. You know. You’ve told them. You’ve agreed to one final interrogation, this time a friendly one. After how many years ? Screw it. It was a nice chat with those guys, they appreciated your photos and your memories, they recorded all of it, they’re doing something useful, the whole world needs this kind of rememberance, I guess, they promised to give me a new camera in return, and I say nah it was a pleasure and all you already did enough and we’re glad for all the help and new found friendships and alliances and stuff and we over here are pardon the expression not bloody poor peasants anymore and I can buy a camera just fine yeah it’s all right uncomparable to what was twenty years ago things are goin’ fine and as I’ve said you’ve already helped a lot and what really it was originally a Swedish project yeah that’s interesting and could you tell me whether the rumours about Finland and yeah and was it worse there and is the sitch over there really kind of reversed with ours and oh so that’s it wow I guess we didn’t get that much of a shorter end of the stick then and oh damn that was a good chat and dammit thank you I finally put off all that bad emotional weight that burden I felt for years and this is awesome nice working with you again and thanks and goodbye and have a nice day and thud and oh my that was really encouraging, I gotta call Alena and tell her how it went and…

- - - -​

The treacle of memories had quietly departed and the colours and sharp contours of the real world returned. The aging, but still gorgeously white British Aerospace 125, with a Union Jack for its flash fin, was steadily descending towards the runway of the once backwater airport.

- - - -​

As the plane was turning on approach, Ted Tootal peered out of one of its circular windows. He caught a glimpse of the thoroughly modern (if a bit small) airport, with its new black asphalt, still glistening in the sun from the brief rain that occurred that morning. Funny thought, that. We might be the first ever British delegation to visit this part of the world. And to think we went and bombed places like this nearly 30 years ago… But now, with the latest diplomatic tour of the Central European Community by UK government officials underway – including MoD higher-ups the likes of old Tootal – it was finally time to tear down the last little vestiges of the once feared and now long gone Iron Curtain. This wasn’t the first time that the Czech and Slovak Federation and other member countries of the CEC had received a state visit from the UK and other survivor nations of former West Block Europe. Sure, three years ago, king Charles and prince Harry had already represented the UK over here. But they came as a representantive of the Royal Family. Now, it was the government’s move to fly over, land, shake hands, receive precious gifts and start bargaining some business deals. Wonder what Jack’s doing right now... He said he’d take Mike to Winthorpe to see old Sally, sometime soon...

The 125 aligned with the runway. Within a few moments, its wheels had gently kissed the runway’s asphalt, screeching enthusiastically.

Last edited:
Well Done. Does it already have an own Thread?

No. And I still have to finish this (at least two more chapters to go), then I'll maybe start from the beginning. The final versions of this might even get a rewrite. We'll see. Be patient.

Pavol will be a recurring character in the main timeline, but he won't be the sole protagonist. Bare in mind that he's actually kind of an unreliable narrator, despite having powerful memory. I guess I've done quite a bit of foreshadowing in this installment. Though a lot of Pavol's feverish reminescenting seems downright insane at times, I can assure you that most (if not all) of the events he mentions had happened. Not immediately after the war, nor the signing of the treaty, but they eventually occured, due to several unfavourable factors.

P.S. With Bratislava gone, is Bardejov, of all places, the new capital then ? Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Stay tuned. ;) Oh, and I hope the occasional reference to lyrics from FGTH's Two Tribes wasn't jarring. :eek:

Last edited:
OK, cheatsheet for the untranslated bits :

súdruh (soudruh in Czech) = "comrade"
Súdruh, neblbnite, o čo sa tu snažíte ?! Hej ! Sakra kopec, poplaaaach ! = "Comrade, stop clowning, what are you trying (to pull off) ?! Hey ! Goddamit/Blast (lit. "sacred hill", with "sacred" colloquialy slurred), alaaaarm !"
Stoyať, grazhdanin ! Poddavat’sya !!! = "Stop, citizen ! Comply !!!"
Dobre, dobre, vzdávam sa ! Nestrieľajte != "All right, all right, I give up ! Don't shoot !"
Kto to má do riti vedieť ?! = "Who the f*** (lit. "in the arse") is supposed to know ?"
K pocte zbraň ! = "Present arms !"

(Sorry for that one Russian phrase if it seems gramatically atrocious. I didn't have much time to think of a good transcription. :eek:)

Last edited:
the more remote and more damaged areas of central and eastern Europe

Aye, those are the operative words behind this spinoff.

Frankly, once I finish this epilogue and the TL will be in limbo for some time, I'll try to ask our Czech, Hungarian and Polish members whether they'd like to write a chapter or two in the TL from time to time. Or if not, then at least give advice. It worked well with Agentdark's African spinoff (co-written with two other AH.commers who mostly handled southern African countries).

I'm thinking about this a lot because I'm not all that confident of always handling the descriptions and narrative well when it comes to the Czech lands. I don't want it to sound inauthentic. Said lack of authenticity is my major bugbear, the biggest potential issue I face in this TL. Because, as they say, the devil is in the details. Given the nature of Czechoslovakia, it would only be natural to have several contributors to the TL, even if there would be still just main author.

Last edited:
No. And I still have to finish this (at least two more chapters to go), then I'll maybe start from the beginning. The final versions of this might even get a rewrite. We'll see. Be patient.

But it is too hard to wait patiently! Knowing you have updates pretty much ready to be posted, that is...:)