The Mauricians: A Medieval Roman novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, a nice update.

Here's a query- what do the predominantly Latin Westerners make of their Greek speaking Emperor Theodosius? If we're to believe the sources, Maurice's line were old Cappadocian aristocracy...

An irony, isn't it? The Latin West has a Greek speaking Emperor from Cappadocia, while the Greek East has a (probably) Latin speaking Emperor from the Danubian provinces!

Again, a nice update.

Here's a query- what do the predominantly Latin Westerners make of their Greek speaking Emperor Theodosius? If we're to believe the sources, Maurice's line were old Cappadocian aristocracy...

Well, I choose to believe that Maurice’s line was indeed Cappadocian. His first language would have been without a doubt Greek (that is how he prays in his head.) But Constantinople at this time still held onto Latin at the highest levels of government; law, court ceremonies, military communications, etc. Arguably it could be said that Theodosius and his siblings, or at the very least his brothers, would have been tutored in Latin; making him then bilingual. His two years in the Latin West by this point, would have certainly helped him with fluency issues. Most of the upper classes in the West could still read and understand Greek; I will make the case that the same would be going on in Constantinople. Heraclius’ reforms to Hellenize the Empire have not yet forced the Imperial family to abandon the good ol’ mother tongue.
When it comes to the feeling of the Westerners, again, you could say that the nobility, whatever remains of the senatorial class at this point, would still be able to understand Greek; a bilingual Emperor wouldn’t be such an odd sight (Procopius certainly illustrates this point.) Whereas the rest of the population…Iconoclasm is still a long way away (120 years more or so,) the Pope is his, making the clergy highly amenable; Greek is still used freely in Church services. Furthermore, the young Emperor has brought some stability to the war ravaged peninsula, by his dealings with the Lombards (and the Franks that have left them at their weakest.) To them he is just the guy who’s brought peace, not the devilish Greek speaking heretic, who rules cowardly from afar.

An irony, isn't it? The Latin West has a Greek speaking Emperor from Cappadocia, while the Greek East has a (probably) Latin speaking Emperor from the Danubian provinces!

An irony indeed. :D

I'm getting even more entertained! I'm especially interested in your personification of characters like Shahrbaraz and Khosrau II - it seems we both have differing interpretations of them.

Anyway, you're constructing a TL with excellent character dynamics, like I said, the novel-like aspect is certainly there. Continue writing, please.

Speaking of Phocas, will we get to see the Emperor again any time soon?

This is all getting quite Game of Thrones, esque, I feel. Any chance of another claimant or two to the dignity of Equal of the Apostles? :D

We will see Mr. Phocas rather soon; he's scheduled for the tomorrow's update in fact.

HA! I hadn't thought about it that way; I'd guess we're getting close to GOT. As with regards to the rest, please forgive my hermetic silence, but spoiling things would only take away some of the itch that one feels to go check the updates right? :D

Nonetheless, I think both Phocas and Theodosius have their hands full with each other, which is not to say that stuff might happen...

I'm getting even more entertained! I'm especially interested in your personification of characters like Shahrbaraz and Khosrau II - it seems we both have differing interpretations of them.

Anyway, you're constructing a TL with excellent character dynamics, like I said, the novel-like aspect is certainly there. Continue writing, please.

Will do sir!

Last edited:
Chapter 3-III- Priscus
Chapter 3 -III-

The room was one of the smallest in the palace, but it had a pleasant view of the lateral gardens and a generous flow of fresh sea breeze constantly invigorating the air. The columns decorating the corners were of exquisite Phrygian marble, as were the floors, while on the sides of the vaulted ceiling small ornate mosaics of a hunting scene glistened with the rays of the morning sun. A beautiful spectacle indeed.

The gaze of the captain of the excubitors, Priscus, son-in-law of the Emperor Phocas, switched from the mosaics back to the Comes Orientis Bonosus’ reddening face, full of impotent anger. The scolding he had just endured had been humiliating indeed. In front of him was the Emperor himself who had just concluded his newest rant , flanked on one side by the praetorian prefect, Theodorus, who seemed to be studying the situation calmly, and on the other by Alexander, the new head of the Imperial scholai, who could not hide his delight at what had just happened. Surrounding Priscus were also the elder Domentziolus, and Comentiolus, both brothers of Phocas.

“Did We make Ourselves clear, Comes?” asked Phocas.

“Yes, Kyrie. But … but you must comprehend that the morale of the troops …” Bonosus started. He would not finish.

“You don’t talk to Us about the morale of the troops. We are the morale of the troops. Have We not done enough to repay the Illyrian armies for their efforts? Did we not come Ourselves from the armies which had been abandoned by Maurice?” Phocas’ words cut through the general’s sentence like a sharp sword, silencing him. Bonosus lowered his head.

A small gush a scented fresh air came in from the gardens through the open doors in the chamber’s balcony, dancing with the curtains as it did so. Priscus knew that John Mystacon had had just some communication with Narses, and he did not know how serious it was; but the extrajudicial manner in which his execution had been carried out had unnerved many of the leading generals. Alexander’s men had just showed up in the middle of the night. One thing was to remove Maurice, whose avarice endangered the men; a different thing was to leave them altogether leaderless and vulnerable.

“Very well then, we have also the matters of the eastern front. The Persian advance in Armenia has slowed, but there are some factors that have been brought to Our attention that We would like everyone to consider. Magistros Alexander…” the Emperor announced as he signaled with his hand for the officer to continue.

“It is matter of common knowledge that sin is the cause of worldly misfortune. Some of the greatest sins that we Romans are committing at the present time, to the immense disgust of the Almighty, are to tolerate the Monophysite heresy and continuous existence of Judaism” Alexander began, as he took a few steps ahead.

“The justice of the Emperor’s cause was demonstrated by God’s willingness to grant him The City and the Empire, but the Devil working in his insidious ways, has made use of his underling Theodosius to harass the Roman people from the west, in order to distract the attention of the faithful. However, to the East lays a greater problem, and the root cause of our inability to dislodge the Persians. Divine favor has been withheld from the Romans because of our toleration of Judaism. We have proof that Jews of Syria and Palestine are conspiring with the enemy to deliver the entire east to Chosroes, under the promise that he will allow them to create their own client kingdom, right where Our Lord Christ lived and preached.” Alexander had by now leaned forward while standing in the same spot; a posture reminiscent of a pedagogos lecturing his students.

The whole room was silent. Alexander’s words bounced in Priscus’ head like a boulder hitting city walls. Who would ever ask him for his opinion? He was but a mere Doryphoros less than two years ago…

“In order to secure God’s favor for this most Christian Empire once again, we must deal with the deniers of Christ. They must be converted and baptized; then not only will their souls be saved, but as Christians they will be more loyally tied to the empire and its God-protected Capital. Those who resist are beyond redemption and must be disposed of as enemies of the state” the magistros concluded.

“Bonosus; you will detach a thema of your men, to reinforce the troops that magistros Alexander will mobilize into Syria in order to secure the success of this plan” ordered Phocas. The comes only nodded silently still looking down.

“Kyrie, is it prudent to dedicate efforts to deal with the Jews at this time, in spite of the Persian threat?” questioned Comentiolus, Phocas’ own younger brother, who had been placed in charge of the Danubian forces.

“We are facing the Persian threat because of Jewish insidiousness!” Phocas thundered, as he slammed his left fist on his open right palm. “The magistros has offered a solution, which We are sure Christ Himself would approve of. Now let’s not waste any more time on this. Domentziolus; how are the new ships coming along?” Alexander took a step back again, while Phocas’ brother, the new “commander of the Imperial Navy” stepped forward.

“Work has stalled for the most part Kyrie. The greater part of the workers and even the sailors has been drafted to reinforce the Eastern armies. But we think we could field about fifty new dromons by the end of fall…” answered Domentziolus, as his right hand curled up in a nervous fist. “We still have not fully recovered from the losses … in the Adriatic…but if Your Lordship allows we could reinforce the new fleet with units from the Aegean … and attempt a move on Italy again…”

The ineptitude was too much for Priscus. “Why not take the whole Home Navy and seize Sicily then, splitting Theodosius’ lands in two?” he interrupted sarcastically.

Domentzilus, looked at him briefly, moved his arms behind him, holding both hands together as he seemed noticeable more relaxed. “Sicily…hhhmmm…” he continued thoughtfully.

“I was only joking magistros. We cannot leave The City defenseless….”

“Enough” Phocas commanded. “Domentziolus, continue the work at the piers and I will see if any additional men can be transferred back to the docks. All of you have your orders.”

All of those present turned to leave, as they had been already standing up, when the Emperor called him back; “Priscus, please stay.” Alexander turned to give him a rather malicious look as he departed. Crazy bastard, Priscus thought to himself. Bonosus continued to walk with his eyes down as he left the room.

He felt a chill run down his spine. He had begun to realize how precarious everyone’s position and indeed their lives had become. The patrician Germanus, father-in-law of Theodosius, had initially been allowed to retire to a monastery; but had then been dragged out and executed after the naval fiasco. The first general that had been sent against Narses, also a Germanus, had been lucky to die at the front, since Leontius the second general, who had managed to return, but defeated, was whipped and thrown into prison. Narses himself had been promised immunity as a Persian delegate, but had been seized and burned at the stake. Along with John Mystacon, several other prominent figures who still had any ties to the old regime had been “disposed of,” as Alexander used to say. Empress Constantina and her daughters until now seemed be in God’s good grace, since they had not been disturbed from the time when they entered the convent adjoined to the church of the Theotokos Panagiotissa. And Priscus had not done badly at all for himself. Son-in-law of the Emperor… but for how long …The memories of the scenes at the Hippodrome from the previous months, when his own life had been at risk, replayed in his head.

“Yes Kyrie.”

“I had actually considered the Sicilian campaign myself; I know that if we succeed and with God willing, we can follow on Belisarius’ steps…” Phocas affirmed grinning slightly, walking up to him.

“Kyrie, as I previously said, it was just a joke. To carry out such an operation we would need a larger fleet, just to transfer troops from the Danube, which in its turn would expose us to the Avars…”

“God works in mysterious ways my son…the Avars didn’t allow us to reach Italy by land but they have not followed up on their victory. The payments seem to be keeping them content” the Emperor continued as he put an arm over the excubitor’s shoulder. They began to walk over to the balcony.

“With all due respect Kyrie, the moment that the Avars notice the reduction in troops they will start to mobilize, and not just them but the Sklavenoi. Should they attack we will be in no position to respond, and should anything happen to the fleet, the troops will be stuck in Sicily, where even in spite of a victory, they will be unable to continue onto neither Africa nor Italy” Priscus answered, staring at Phocas dead in the eyes. “And the Persians…”

“And the Persians seemed to be stuck in Armenia” the Emperor concluded the sentence for him, as he removed his arm from him. “And should we be stuck in Sicily I can always increase the subsidies and surely the Avars will deliver in Italy what the Franks could not. God will not abandon us. God cannot abandon us.”

You can’t be serious. The North will collapse. The Persians are now regrouping for a deeper thrust into Armenia. We are going to have the Jews at our backs. And here we are talking about opening an active third front
. “God is indeed mysterious Kyrie. I think that he has certainly inspired you” Priscus smiled, as he directed his gaze out of the window, towards the sea beyond the walls. At a distance he could discern the fishing boats, which dotted the Marmara. Perhaps He has inspired me now as well.

Last edited:
So the Jews shall Exodize towards Arabia (and running into Muhammad) and Priscus shall make bids for usurping the usurper while he sends all his men towards Sicily.

I like the irony when Phocas says Christ himself would approve of their actions against the Jews.

Somewhat ironic to we in the secular 21st century, sure, but perfectly in character for any sixth/seventh century Christian. It was vital for the institutional Church of the Roman Empire to identify biblical figures from both Old and New Testaments as being authentically Orthodox Christians, certainly not as Jews, who could then conveniently be cast as outcasts who had lost their way and refused to see the light.

Chapter 3-IV- Rustam
Chapter 3 -IV-

The familiar heat weighed on him. Surprisingly it was a cloudy day, a most unusual thing for this time of the year, but it was still hot. The march had warmed him up even more, just as it had all of the men in his column, and sweat continued to drip from the cloth he had wrapped around his forehead. They were still winning the war, but at that moment, with his mouth dry, he had other concerns.

“Kurus! Give me some water!” he called, reaching out to the man right behind him. The air in the Anatolian hills was drier, but warmer that what he had experienced during the campaign in Armenia. And the never ending marches, did not allow his body temperature to drop. “Here” his comrade answered, reaching a bulging pig bladder to him.

He grabbed the carrier, untied the string around the cap, and took a big gulp of water. Damn, that’s good. Although somewhat lukewarm it still beat drinking piss; he had done it before. He took another sip. He wished he could pour it over his head, but he knew that he would pay with that very same head for it. For the Iranian army on the march, water was as good as gold. “Thank you” he replied handing the canteen back to Kurus.

The division of paighan infantry he was a part of was perhaps the third in the long line that was marching through the eastern Anatolian highlands towards the central plateau. Their spahbod Shahin had led them on a string of unbroken victories since they left Media three years before. The war seemed to be going their way, and as far as he knew, this was one of the most, if not the most, successful fights that they had ever waged against the Romans. He could already imagine his return home: his whole village would gather up to receive him and celebrate for an entire week; the children would gather to hear his tales of wartime heroism and how he had slain thousands of Romans single-handedly. He remembered his wife Aditi; and thought of the baby he had never met, perhaps a boy, maybe a girl; but now certainly at least two years old.

“Rustam look!” the man to his left said; tapping him on the shoulder. He turned his head in that direction immediately, and saw how some small rocks tumbled down the hill. He looked up; there seemed to be no one there. “Maybe it’s a damn goat or some bird…” he answered. What a nervous wreck, this guy…

“A bird … listen to this man!” his companion answered as the closest men around them chuckled. Quickly, the nascent laughs were cut short by the bellow of a trumpet some distance ahead. In front of them, he discerned the raising screen of dust rising up from the hillsides in both directions towards the Iranian column in at the bottom of the canyon. They looked like big boulders. They are big boulders. He panicked for an instant and froze up. “Move! Now!” he heard Kurus yell behind him, as he finally regained use of his senses. Rustam looked to the hill on his right. Nothing. To his left, three giant boulders were racing down on them. Fuck.

He ran towards the back. All of the men were trying to scatter in any possible direction, but the boulders were being rolled down as far as he could discern through the dust screen. He could see that further down the column, some riders had been dispatched and were beginning to charge uphill; but no such help was forthcoming to the men with him. He was crammed and immobilized; all of those surrounding him had packed closely together in an attempt to evade the rocks. But they continued to roll down. “Let’s climb up the right mountain!” he finally shouted before realizing that he had actually voiced his thoughts. He began to do so, followed closely by Kurus and the rest. As they climbed on, Kurus overtook him, before suddenly stopping in his tracks. His comrade staggered, fell back, and rolled down the hill, dead. An arrow had hit him on the back of the neck. Rustam looked over his shoulder, behind him, and there they were, on the opposing side of the cliff. Damn. The fucking Romans are shooting at us.

They pulled out their wooden shields and attempted to cover themselves from the oncoming enemy fire. Being that the hill they were on was actually less steep than the opposing one had made it relatively easy to climb onto it and now at a distance, he could see the full display of enemy forces across the pass. The Romans had lined up at the edges, and after pushing down all of their boulders, had begun to discharge arrows against the surprised Iranians below. An enemy cavalry charge seemed to be in the works as riders had been for the most part saddled up and were putting on helmets. To his left and to his right he could discern some smaller groups of enemy concentrations. Apparently, they had prepared their main force on the other side.

An arrow impacted neatly on his raised shield. “Ardashir! We need to find better cover!” one of the men called out to another. They all looked nervously around. There was nothing but small clusters of bushes at very spread out intervals.

Ahura Mazda…please let me live; I want to meet my child… Another arrow flew into his shield. Rustam closed his eyes as he held his only protection tightly in front of him; the echoes of the chaos and the battle below reached his ears; the Roman cavalry had charged.

A pierced scream whose provenance seemed much closer made him open them again. Ardashir had been shot dead, blood gushing from the front of his neck, impacted by two arrows. The lifeless eyes seemed to reflect the void, the very darkness whence Angra Mainyu had sprung. It was too much. Fuck it! Fuck it! Fuck it! He straightened up and ran back down screaming all the way; charging into the gruesome melee taking place below, shield and spear in hand. If I am going to be dead anyway

Not only had the enemy cavalry charged but their infantry as well. It was against one of those foot soldiers that first he came up. “Die fucker! Die!” he yelled as he impaled the Roman on the back with a quick trust of his spear. The enemy soldier had been caught up fighting an Iranian himself; he never saw Rustam coming. On killing the Roman he turned around. The whole area was in total turmoil; the blood of men and animals was thick with dirt making it a mess to slip on. The Romans had initially surprised the Iranians, but now some sort of organized resistance had started to take place. Through the distance to his left, down the pass, he could distinguish the royal standard waving high. Shahin himself was close. Maybe we’ll pull it together. “Rustam!” he heard, “Wait!” His companions were running down the hill, after two more had been killed.

Together, they plunged into the wild brawl. He could not think; he could not focus. He stabbed with his spear at the unaware Romans as best he could. But he also received blows in kind. His right leg was wounded; his left arm was slashed; one of his ears cut off. And then his wooden shield shattered. Shit. He fell to the ground, the pain on all of his wounds overpowering him. Damn, I’m going to die now. The Roman yelled something in his tongue, ready to finish him off with his sword. But then, the chaos began to dissipate. He heard the gallop of a horse amidst the confusion; an immortal Zhayedan had appeared out of nowhere; with one swift blow he decapitated the Roman, before continuing on. Rustam closed his eyes.

“Forward!” he heard in the distance. A large dailamite regiment now approached swords in hand, their armor glistening in the scorching sun. A trumpet blew its notes far away in the distance; the call for Romans to retreat.

“Get up! Come on, get up man!”

He opened his eyes. It was another Iranian, slapping him on the cheek. He looked around, the enemy was gone, and those remaining would be gone soon enough. “Did we… did we win?” Rustam asked, swallowing his thick saliva, trying to refresh his dry mouth again.

“It was just a damn ambush” answered the soldier, helping him sit up. “Get up; we need to get going as soon as the cavalry gets back from chasing those pigs.”

He stood up and surveyed the field: strewn bodies everywhere, animals and men, Romans and Iranians. “Not bad, ha?” he heard to his left. He turned. Yazdegerd, yet another member of his detachment, was holding up a Roman dagger, with a silver handle. “They’ve got quite a bit of nice things, you should help yourself too.”

“Yeah, maybe I should…” Maybe I’ll get to bring something back with me, instead of my ear, he thought as he reached out to feel the bloody side of his head. He had survived yet another encounter with the Romans forces. With the dust settled, at the end the pass he saw the open plain. Perhaps we’ll win and be done with this damn war soon too. He was hopeful that that would be the case; he knew that victory had come in Mesopotamia and Armenia. The Shahrbaraz was at that very moment penetrating Syria. And Shahin and his forces, well, after all they were on the final leg of their journey towards the capital of their foes: they were now in the Anatolian plateau.

The march across the Anatolia will be a toll on the Persian forces of course. Very well done in portraying the Persian forces. The Daliamites kick ass naturally. Though, fighting across the Anatolia until they get to any clear areas the Persian saving grace will be their archers.

Are the Persians going to ally with the Avars? The Persians are no threat to Constantinople without a fleet.

Well so far things haven't changed much for them from OTL (with the exception of their successes coming earlier, because the civil war started earlier) so yes they do lack a strong naval presence to successfully cut off Constantinople. But a soldier like Rustam wouldn't even know that they have to cross water to get there. At least, not yet anyway.

The march across the Anatolia will be a toll on the Persian forces of course. Very well done in portraying the Persian forces. The Daliamites kick ass naturally. .

Thank you sir. :)

Chapter 4-I- Brunhilda
Chapter 4 -I-

Brunhilda [1] took another sip of water from her golden chalice, and looked at Berthoald once again, as she set the cup down on the table. The Burgundian mayor of the palace swallowed the chunk of chicken he had just bitten off before resuming the conversation.

“It was thus my lord Theudebert that your brother fell in glorious battle; much to the sorrow of all the Franks.” He grabbed the chicken leg one more time and took another bite.

The young Austrasian king looked at Berthoald, with a mix of fascination at the story of the battle, and loathing of his dead brother, as he chewed his own food.

“Theuderic was always a fool” he retorted, spitting a few bits of chewed foodstuff. “Even during our own unfortunate encounters he would always toss himself in the melee; how unfit for a king!”

And you damn boy, you just cower behind your walls, while Clothar prepares to kill us all, Brunhilda thought, raising her eyebrows, as she plucked a grape out of the bunch placed on the small saucer in front of her. Theuderic had indeed been an exemplary man. Or boy rather. He had personally been at every battlefield during all of his wars, and had even led a cavalry charge, albeit protected by his guard, in his war against Clothar at the tender age of fourteen. Furthermore, taking on an enterprise such as the Italian affair at seventeen, was if anything, highly commendable, especially by Frankish standards. His men, in love with his courage, had followed him blindly to disaster. “Berthoald, we share in the great pain that comes with the departure of the young king; but we know that there are some other pressing issues to be discussed…” Gundulf, Theudebert’s own mayor cut in.

See now, this sly bastard knows we need them. The whole reason for their visit had to be presented now. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. “Gundulf, as you know, young Sigebert [2] has already been acclaimed by the Burgundian dukes; but the confusion ensuing from the Italian debacle has left the kingdom in a somewhat vague state. We would very much like to present the opportunity to offer a united front should Clothar sense any weakness on our part and behave aggressively” she finally said, focusing her blue eyes on the mayor’s.

“Somewhat vague? Forgive me queen, but it seems to me that Clothar is ready to wage war on Burgundy at a moment’s notice” the Austrasian mayor replied, before drinking some of his wine.

Berthoald blinked quickly, before starting to blush, as he continued to devour his meal. Brunhilda kept her stare up, defiant. She might not be as young as she once was, but all of her character still held up.

“But in any case, I am more than certain that my lord Theudebert would gladly support the righteous self-defense of his nephew Sigebert” Gundulf added, as him, and Berthoald turned to look at the young king. Theudebert looked up from his plate, and nodded a couple of times, while Brunhilda switched her piercing look from Gundulf to him. He did not meet her eyes, as he returned his gaze to the food below.

“Excellent” the queen hastily replied, focusing again on the Austrasian mayor. “We actually have a plan in the works. The best defense is always a good offense, right?”

“Indeed, my lady.”

“I will personally offer Clothar the Burgundian crown” she started, “however, with the condition that he must first secure the kingdom from our common enemy, the Romans.”

“But the Romans are not attacking…” Theudebert interrupted, glancing up. His grandmother’s cold eyes quickly silenced him.

“But the Romans will be the aggressors my dear child, you see all they need is some motivation; which I can gladly provide before Clothar arrives in Burgundy, and finds them attacking us in kind. Technically the war has not ended.” She stopped, drank some water again, and continued.

“Once he is bogged down in Italy, we must mobilize all of our available forces and make a move on Neustria. Berthoald here will slip away with the Burgundian armies to join us, abandoning Clothar. If we are lucky enough he’ll be killed there; if not by the time he manages to come back, with us having succeeded, we will make short work of him.”

“Ha! Great!” Theudebert erupted, clapping, delighted.

“A good plan indeed my lady; but would you please tell us who would inherit the Neustrian crown then?” Gundulf asked, in a more calmed manner, leaning back in his seat.

Brunhilda smiled. This dog, he wouldn’t know family loyalty if it bit him in the ass. “The Neustrian crown will be Sigebert’s; but my dear grandchild here, will be able to call himself king of Austrasia and Aquitaine.”

Gundulf grabbed his own goblet and drank yet another gulp of wine, narrowing his eyes as he did so. While he lay down the cup, he replied, “you’ve got a good plan my lady; but you can keep Aquitaine. Give my king Neustria instead. After all, we’ll do most of the fighting.” A drop of wine ran down his greyish beard.

Theudebert looked nervously at Brunhilda, while he stuffed another piece of bread in his mouth. Damn, damn you son of a bitch, she thought. “Listen Gundulf, you are addressing the Queen Mother of all the Franks, not just of Burgundy, so behave properly. And the final arrangements should be made between her and king Theudebert” Berthoald intervened, as he dropped a clean chicken bone onto a now empty plate.

“Berthoald, thank you for your intercession” she answered. “But I think that the point raised by the mayor is valid. Their commitment will be the greater. I wouldn’t have it any other way. The Neustrian crown should be Theudebert’s, and we will keep Aquitaine. We are then in agreement.”

“So we are.”

She grabbed her chalice once again, gripping the thin neck tightly, squeezing it. Directing it to her lips, she took one last look at the Austrasian mayor, while finishing her water. On drying the cup, she pushed her chair back and stood up. “The food’s been delightful, thank you. But I must now excuse myself. Berthoald, please stay and inform them of all details that they might want to know.”

All of the men stood up, as the Burgundian mayor replied with his assent. Once she exited the chamber, her young maid Adelgundein, who had been waiting in the hallway, joined her.

“Did everything go well my lady?” she whispered, as she scanned her surroundings.

“You can say so.” Brunhilda clinched her teeth. “Get me a scribe. A trusted one. I need to start planning, how to rid us all of this dog Gundulf. Protadius [3] will know how” she ordered, coolly.

“Yes, madam. Right away.”

[1] Brunhilda (c. 542 – 613) was the wife of king Sigebert I and ruled, as regent, Burgundy and Austrasia on behalf of her sons and grandchildren (Theuderic II and Theudebert II.) She had a famously notorious personal feud with Clothar’s II mother, Fredegund, which IOTL developed into a generational war between the Frankish kings for a while.
[2] Sigebert II; King of Austrasia and Burgundy for one year, 613, and Theuderic’s young son. IOTL he was crowned king on his father’s death at age 12. ITTL at this point he is around 3 years old.
[3] Brunhilda’s lover. IOTL he replaced Berthoald as mayor of the palace after Brunhilda betrayed the former mayor and had him killed.

Chapter 4-II- Theodosius
Chapter 4 -II-

He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. He rehearsed the speech in his head again. His first language had been Greek, but his father had seen to it that he received an education which instructed him in the “proper tongue of the Romans,” Latin. His time in the West had helped him improve his fluency. Now, his brother Tiberius had made some real improvements. In fact he had become better at Latin, than in his native Greek. But although his younger sibling was there, it was not Tiberius that was addressing the Roman Senate, it was him. Theodosius, the Emperor.

“Domine, we are ready” Procopius informed him.

“Are you ready, Tiberius?” Theodosius asked, looking at his younger brother.

“Yes brother.”

“We are ready then.” Another deep breath.

John, in full uniform as head of the excubitors, opened the doors of the Roman Curia, with the help of two of his men. The two wooden doors creaked under the weight of centuries, to reveal the inside of a chamber full of men, on both sides of the floor, whose conversations began to die down upon seeing the Emperor. Refurbishing the old building had been one of his primary goals, ever since the return of Heraclius from the west. It was to be the stage on which he would play his role now; the last political act before embarking on his campaign.

“Ave Theodosius Caesar!” said the princeps senatus Justin, an older man, hair already white, wearing an elegant blue cape over his white tunic, as the Emperor entered the floor. The rest of those gathered followed suit with a loud “Ave!”

Theodosius was no overt fan of theatrics. But he understood the significance of history and tradition. Phocas had shattered both, by launching the first successful overthrow of an Emperor since before the days of the Great Constantine. He knew that if his plans failed, all would fall to his thirteen year old brother, not to his own four-month old son. And he planned to leave Tiberius with as much legitimacy as he possibly could. In case of success however, he did not want to have a teenager, such an easy prey to courtesans, holding so much power. He took his place center stage, amidst in the crowd, and in front of the altar of the Cross. The once altar of Victory, oh the ironies of life. To the right was an empty throne, his own; to the left was seated Pope Boniface. He waited for absolute silence; soon enough he had it.

“Patres Conscripti…” he began; reading Cicero had served him well. “…You all know too well of the evils which affect the empire of the Roman people in these dark days. At a time when real peace was established in the East, when victory had been secured in the North, and We had come to the relief of the West, the basest treachery and betrayal in recent memory took place. A man whose perfidy parallels Judas’, whose insidiousness mirrors that of Odysseus, and whose duplicity mimics the combined deceit of both Brutus and Cassius, raised his hand against the Isapostolos…” He had deliberately included the term in Greek, to add to its religiousness.

The crowd remained silent, expectant. He took a deep breath again, still tense. “Rejecting God’s favor and blessings, the Romans in the East preferred war, death, and destruction instead of peace, life, and prosperity. And while Divine Providence, had guided Us to the ancient seat of Empire and We struggled to secure tranquility for Italy, and have fortune smile upon Africa, the centaur in the New Rome, delivers Dacia, Illyricum, Macedonia and Thrace to the heathen barbarians with one hand, and Mesopotamia and Armenia to the fire-worshipping Persians with the other.”

A murmur began to stir across the room. Tiberius and John exchanged looks. Theodosius started to pace across the floor, somewhat relaxed.

“Not content with delivering the Romans in the East to certain death, the tyrant attempted to violate the ancient sanctity of Italy by inviting the Franks to conquer the peninsula. The same Franks that were ejected by the Great Justinian forty years ago, were paid by him, him who calls himself Emperor of the Romans, to destroy Rome and kill the Romans.”

The murmur grew louder. “Death to the tyrant!” someone shouted. “Theodosius, tu vincas!” shouted another.

The Emperor raised his hand, waving it a couple of times, waiting for silence, and then continued.

“But we have prevailed, we have demonstrated our resilience. The great works initiated under Saint Gregory were not swept away by the barbarian flood; we repelled them, and killed their leader: the Frankish threat was scattered to the four winds...” A sudden applause, kept him from going. He waited for a few seconds. “… scattered to the four winds never to threaten Rome again!” The applause continued, louder.

He waited and waved them off once again. “All of you are fully aware of the will of Our late father, the Emperor Maurice Augustus. He had designed to hold Us person as Emperor of the Romans in Constantinople, and to give back the West an Emperor of its own, as it was in the days of the first Leo. For he understood that Rome must have its Emperor.” More applauses and shouts of approval interrupted. Theodosius just waited for a few seconds, without attempting to silence them.

“God our Lord, with his infinite wisdom decided to conduct Our father’s plans on a different direction. He did not forget them, for he is a just God, but he simply altered them; for a better outcome no doubt. It is in accordance with this change that We act today then. As Romans, we must take the fight to the enemy. The Senate and people of Italy and the West again rise up to the occasion, as in the days of Augustus himself, to confront and shatter the traitors of the East!” The entire Senate stood up, clapping for several minutes. Attempts to continue by Theodosius were futile; convinced himself, he just waited for the applause to die down.

“For the struggle that lies ahead is difficult; a repetition of those tumultuous, ancient days. And the stakes are just as high; a continuation of the centaur’s rule will doom the European provinces to fall under the yoke of dark barbarism, and those of the East to endure the cruelest martyrdom, unparalleled since the dark days of paganism, at the hands of the Persians. In this fight We must lead at the head of Our redeeming armies, and We have decided to act in accordance with Our father’s wishes: in our absence Rome shall have a leader. Senators, please join Us in the acclamation of Our brother Tiberius as Caesar!” he concluded, turning back and placing his hands on his brother’s shoulders. John retrieved the silver crown that had been brought in by one of the attendants previously.

“Tiberius Caesar, tu vincas!” was the unanimous ovation from the Senate, as Theodosius lowered the crown on his brother’s head. Applause followed, shouts of “Vita!” trailing the applause. Theodosius clapped with them, smiling, while Tiberius looked nervously about, tickled.

As yet another round of applause died down, the Emperor continued: “And now Elder Rome must come to the rescue of New Rome. The mother to the help of the daughter. Caesar to the help of Constantine. We have proven our might in the waters of the Adriatic, and at the foot of the Alps. The usurper trembles in his throne and our brothers in the east await us in eager expectation. To arms! Romani, Deus nobiscum!”

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I'm going to step in now and say that, while the quality of writing is as superb as ever, I do have my doubts that the Roman Senate would be anything like as large and important as you portray it here. The other fictional depiction I've come across of them, in Richard Blake's book, talks about a group of about a dozen fat old men for the Senate of the seventh century, which seems about right to me.

Really, I think it would have been better here if Theodosius had addressed a council of Italian bishops, many of whom would be notionally Senators anyway. I think the precedent for saving the East would be of Constantine, not Augustus, and I think he'd probably be referred to as "Great Constantine", rather than merely the "first Constantine". Same for Justinian, who I could see being "Great Justinian".

Hmmm...

I'm going to step in now and say that, while the quality of writing is as superb as ever, I do have my doubts that the Roman Senate would be anything like as large and important as you portray it here. The other fictional depiction I've come across of them, in Richard Blake's book, talks about a group of about a dozen fat old men for the Senate of the seventh century, which seems about right to me.

Really, I think it would have been better here if Theodosius had addressed a council of Italian bishops, many of whom would be notionally Senators anyway. I think the precedent for saving the East would be of Constantine, not Augustus, and I think he'd probably be referred to as "Great Constantine", rather than merely the "first Constantine". Same for Justinian, who I could see being "Great Justinian".

Well, I had tried to point the Senate's unimportance through the state of the old Curia ("Refurbishing the old building had been one of his primary goals...") Of course this is not Augustus' Senate, and as you already know, many of those present are ceremonial Senators, including clergy, as well as landowners, etc. not full-time senators. But as an "institution" it still has the authority to lend that certain prestige that prevented anyone from abolishing it. Even after Constantine. Furthermore, its last recorded act IOTL, as you might also already know, was to vote to erect Phocas' column in the old Forum.The scene here is something similar, Theodosius could have done the coronation, anywhere with or without them, "But he understood the significance of history and tradition..."

With regards to the adjectives for Constantine and Justinian, I am in full agreement and I've corrected the issue. Let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.