Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lands of Red and Gold #58: Preparing A Head Of Time
Lands of Red and Gold #58: Preparing A Head Of Time

“The Bunditch [Bungudjimay] keep their heads during trouble. That’s good. The problem is that they keep other people’s heads too.”
- Quote attributed to William Baffin (possibly apocryphal) during his time in Daluming, 1636

Time of the Closure [August 1636]
Yuragir [Coffs Harbour, New South Wales], Kingdom of Daluming

Dawn in the Land of Gold; a time when the colour of the light matches the wealth of the land.

William Baffin kneels on the first level of the pyramid, as he stares upward at the towering levels of above him. Each holds niche after niche filled with skulls and sealed in with glass. A testament to a savage people. This is no Egyptian-built pyramid. Have some Mexicans brought their pagan human sacrifices across the Pacific?

He hears his sailors climbing up the stairs to join him, but another set of footsteps approach from the east. Someone new. A native.

Baffin stands, but finds that the newcomer is silhouetted against the dazzling sun. He cannot see much of the man, save that he is tall and has the dark skin of a native Aururian.

The native speaks quickly in his own language, of which Baffin cannot understand a word, or even anything close to it.

His confusion must be apparent, for the native speaks again. This time in the Islander language, of which Baffin knows but a little. Enough, though, to understand the few words the native speaks.

“Greetings, you who come at the end of the world.”

“Be diligent. Observe everything. Remember all. Report all that is important,” said Ilangi the priest. He sounded as if he were hissing. But then he always sounded like that. Most priests did.

“I will,” Keajura said simply. Worthless to argue. The priests expected a miracle, but they should have asked one of the ancestral heads at the Mound of Memory or in the western mountains. Keajura was merely a still-living man.

Oh, he had a gift, one the priests knew about, but they always expected that gift to be greater than it was.

Keajura had a talent for learning languages quickly. A son of a minor chieftain of the Jubula people, he had been born in Anaiwal [Armidale] to the west. As a young man he had been among the hostages brought to Yuragir to ensure the good behaviour of the newly-conquered subjects. While a hostage, he had demonstrated his gift by learning the Bungudjimay language so fluently that he was often mistaken for a member of that people.

Bungudjimay priests were sharp, in some ways, and they soon recognised his gifts. While still young, he had been given duties as an interpreter. Duties which endured as the weeks turned into months and now into years. No longer was he quite a hostage, but nor was he permitted to return to his homeland. A priest much like Ilangi had said, in his usual hissing way, that someone of his gifts and rank could not be allowed to return to threaten Daluming rule with revolt.

In truth, Keajura found that he preferred life here in Yuragir. He would inherit no rank, but there were many other benefits. Comfort, food, wealth, all were here in abundance in the heart of the kingdom. Best of all, Bungudjimay women favoured those who had a gift for words. So long as he was careful never to touch a weapon, then his gift and reputation ensured his safety even from the even most challenge-mad Bungudjimay warrior.

He still served as an interpreter. He had learned the Kiyungu language from a couple of their women who had been brought from the north as captives, and who found his protection useful. Of course, many interpreters had learned the Kiyungu language. More recently, and with more difficulty, he had learned the Islander language from their sporadic visits.

Now, the priests expected him to understand the pink men’s language simply by hearing a few words of it. A gift he had, but miracles were not his forte.

“What tongue do they speak?” Keajura asked.

“Some few words of the Islander tongue,” Ilangi said. “So say those who met them at the Mound of Memory, where they came with the dawn. But they speak another language amongst themselves.” He did not quite say you will learn their language immediately, but his expectations were clear.

“I will go to them,” Keajura said. No point to staying longer and letting the priest make his demands for a miracle more explicit.

The pink men had been brought to the largest feast hall in the palace. A place filled with large tables occupied by a swirling, rowdy mixture of warriors, priests, and other royal hangers-on. On occasion the king would even come here himself, though not when outlanders were present. Even most of his own subjects would rarely get such a close glimpse of their revered monarch.

The pink men were easily recognised, and not just from the odd unfinished colour of their skins. In a hall filled with noise and celebration, the outlanders were almost silent. Keajura took a vacant seat close to them – left empty by priestly order, no doubt – and studied them more closely.

Their clothing was distinctive: white ruffled collars that covered half their shoulders and overlaid tight-fitting clothes of black and red, made of some strange fabric, and which covered arms and legs entirely, leaving only hands unclothed. Their hair was remarkable too, some brown, some the colour of sand, and some, strangest of all, nut-red in hue.

The first servants appeared, bringing food for the guests alone, while the others simply spoke and drank. An odd practice, but then Keajura was not exactly sure what status the priests were giving these new pink men. Honoured guests? Captives? Warriors about to be blooded? Even the priests did not know, he suspected. Looking forward to the Closure for your whole life was one thing. Reaching it was another altogether.

Keajura had planned simply to observe the pink men for a time while they ate, to learn what he could. Yet before the outlanders started eating, one of them looked over at him and made an unmistakable come-here gesture. Odd to see that some things remained common no matter where men came from; he had seen the same gesture made both by Kiyungu and Islanders.

The outlander who had called him over was one with the nut-red coloured hair. Clean-shaven, or almost so, with perhaps a day’s growth. His clothing had the same ruffled collar and full sleeves and leggings as the rest, but with more decoration than most of his fellows. Their priest, perhaps, or maybe their lord.

The outlander spoke in the Islander tongue. Awkwardly, with hesitations and mispronounced words, but his meaning was usually clear. “You here to... watch us?”

“To guide you,” he said. He almost added and learn your language, but restrained himself.

“Good. I name Wilyembatin.”

“Keajura son of Ngamunda.”

“What this land called?” the outlander asked.

“Daluming. The lands of King Otella.”

Wilyembatin frowned, as if he had not understood such simple words. However much of the Islander tongue this man thought he had learned, it was not adequate.

“What land do your people come from?”

“Inglund. We serve... Company.” Keajura repeated the foreign word, the first he had heard of the Inglund tongue.

Wilyembatin had a brief discussion with one of his neighbours, who looked as if he spoke more of the Islander tongue. Yet it was Wilyembatin who spoke again. “Association.”

“Does your association forbid you from eating?” Keajura gestured to the still untouched food.

“No. Not sure what food is or... rules when men eat,” Wilyembatin said.

That showed more cunning that most visitors; any Kiyungu brought to Daluming would immediately any food put in front of them. “Others will not eat at the same time as you. They are not sure yet what rank you have, so will not know whether to eat at the same time or later.”

Wilyembatin started to speak, stopped, then had another colloquy with his neighbour, repeating Islander phrases a couple of time between themselves. “What rank do we have here?”

“You are outlanders. I cannot say.” The priests would have to decide that. Let them make whatever choice pleased them. It was them who believed in the Closure, in that time when all that was needed would be completed. However much Keajura enjoyed life in Yuragir, in his own heart he still prayed to Eagle and Goanna, not to the heads of other people’s ancestors.

Wilyembatin still looked perplexed, so Keajura gestured to the food. “Eat. It is for you.”

Wilyembatin spoke briefly to his companions again in their own language. It was too long simply to be an instruction to eat. Which also meant that, for now, Keajura had still only learned one word of their Inglund language.

The pink men started eating, almost as one. Wilyembatin stopped after the first mouthful. “This good. Very good. What it?”

“Fish fried in linseed oil [1],” Keajura said. The fish was flathead [2], but he did not know the Islander word for it, and he doubted the name would mean much to the Inglund people. “Spiced with sweet peppers and lemon myrtle.”

“Very good,” the outlander captain repeated, then went back to finishing the fish, with obvious relish.

Keajura stayed quiet while they ate the first course, listening to their occasional chatter amongst themselves. He was not learning words, yet, but it let him familiarise himself with the sounds of their language. And it was alien; it had sounds which no other tongue contained. He suspected that Wilyembatin was not exactly how that man said his own name, either, but learning to pronounce it properly would take time [3].

The next course arrived in due time. He announced without being asked. “Noroon [emu] meat, roasted and flavoured with lemongrass and white ginger [4].” He started to explain that the hot drink being served with it was jeeree [lemon-scented tea], but stopped when he saw that Wilyembatin already knew what it was.

Wilyembatin ate a little, and his face spoke for itself of his regard for the food. This time, he got his more fluent neighbour to ask questions. The other outlander said, “This food is splendid.”

“The palace has some fine cooks,” Keajura said. Most of them were in fact captives like himself, brought in from the western highlands or from the north. The Bungudjimay appreciated fine food, even if they often did not know how to cook properly.

“No doubt,” the outlander said. “But even then, we have tasted these spices elsewhere in this land, and they have not been so flavoursome.”

“In the far west?” Keajura said, and the other man shook his head.

“What you have eaten in the west, that is what we trade to westerners after it has been dried for storage. That must be done with spices if they are to be traded. But those we use in the palace are fresh, grown in the highlands and brought quickly down the river. The taste is better when fresh.”

“So I must agree,” the outlander said, then he and his fellows went back to eating the meal.

The third course came in time. “Kumara [sweet potato] chunks, roasted with caramelised sweet gum [wattle gum] flavoured with cinnamon myrtle and strawberry gum leaves,” he said. The sweetest part of the meal, and his favourite.

Wilyembatin did not start on this part of the meal, though. He gave Keajura a long glance, then said, “If you guide us, what most important that we know?”

Keajura considered that for a moment, then lowered his voice. No telling if others around also knew the Islander tongue. “If anyone here asked you whether you have killed a man, say no. Always say no.”

[1] The Aururian linseed oil is grown from native flax (Linum marginale). Much like common flax, some cultivars of this plant have been grown for fibre, but others – particularly on the eastern seaboard – have been selected for large, oil-rich seeds.

[2] This species of fish is dusky flathead (Platycephalus fuscus), which lives in estuaries, of which there are several around Yuragir / Coffs Harbour.

[3] Keajura is experiencing difficulties because native Aururian languages, like their historical equivalents, almost entirely lack some classes of consonants which occur in most other languages (including English).

The main examples of these are fricative (and pseudo-fricative) consonants, which among others include sounds represented in English by “h”, “s”, “f” and “th”. Aururians tend to mishear these sounds as other consonants which are more familiar to them. For example, Keajura pronounces “Baffin” more or less as “Batin”.

[4] Lemon-scented grass (Cymbopogon ambiguus) is a relative of common lemongrass (various Cymbopogon species), and has similar flavour and culinary uses. Native ginger (Alpinia caerulea) is a plant whose various parts can be used for different spices. The one which has been used here is the crushed fruit and seeds, which has a pleasantly sour taste and is used in Daluming cuisine both for its flavour and for the visual effect of the red hue it adds to food.

Thoughts?

So what's the deal with the Time of Closure, anyway? What's supposed to happen when the last head gets added to the Mound of Memories? I presume it's nothing so straightforward as "Well, time to start collecting stamps instead..."

Also, I like Baffin--he seems like a pretty decent guy, as explorers go.

Thoughts?

A great many dead company traders in future. Britain (or the Company) will be changed by the violent and horrific enslaving these people in Christian Violence brought on by cultural misunderstandings about the meaning of killing.

yours,
Sam R.

Sounds like good old fashioned apocalypticism to me, although the nature of the End of Days is probably quite unlike the Christian one...

Bruce

Sounds like good old fashioned apocalypticism to me, although the nature of the End of Days is probably quite unlike the Christian one...

Bruce

And that's what I'm curious about. Do the heads of the dead return to life and roll around biting ankles? Do the giant stone heads if the ancestors grow giant stone bodies and begin methodically disassembling the world? Do primitively sinister Daluming warriors make a point of kidnapping the spunky and nubile Englishwoman who has stowed away in one of Baffin's ships, threatening her with ritual beheading until her inevitable last-minute rescue?! Will this provide fodder for poorly-researched historical/disaster films centuries hence?

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Jared
user_offline.gif
your ability to describe so vividly things like food and clothing are what set your work above all others ans make this TL a true masterpiece. It is little details like this that make a world truly come alive.
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

I think that the End of Days is indeed upon the Bungudjimay, but not in the way they thought.

Also, lucky for Baffin that his interpreter is a foreigner-that will help him go around at least some of the tricky cross-cultural misunderstandings.

Also, just out of curiosity, are the Bungudjimay based on the Bundjalung?

Hungry again.

Just think about severed heads. Either you'll no longer be hungry, or you'll be turned to cannibalism.

Out of stray curiosity, and because it's been a very long time since I had a read-through of the story, what was the whole killed-a-man thing? I assume it was part of one of the religions the names of which I no longer remember, but I'd appreciate if someone would fill me in on the details.

Fantastic note to end on. Well played.

Preventing a whole crew of 17th century sailors from drunkenly boasting of prowess with violence.... Well, it would seem to be rather a tall order.

Just think about severed heads. Either you'll no longer be hungry, or you'll be turned to cannibalism.

Out of stray curiosity, and because it's been a very long time since I had a read-through of the story, what was the whole killed-a-man thing? I assume it was part of one of the religions the names of which I no longer remember, but I'd appreciate if someone would fill me in on the details.

Knights are privileged, and get challenged to duels. Gunslinging is all win until a stranger tells you to draw.

The Bungudjimay are a warrior culture that idealize the head-taking of powerful opponents. There are advantages to being safely outside some social systems.

How are wild emus and wild dogs (dingos) viewed by the native Australians of this TL?

Wild emus are viewed as a dining opportunity for those individual peasants not wealthy enough to own their own emus.

Dingos are viewed as a nuisance to farmers, although not as much as in OTL, since emus are generally fenced in.

And for that matter, are there any Azaria Chamberlain, "dingoes ate my baby!" type horror stories? :eek:

Dingos are, broadly speaking, viewed like wolves were in OTL Europe, so there are some horror stories, mostly apocryphal.

So what's the deal with the Time of Closure, anyway? What's supposed to happen when the last head gets added to the Mound of Memories? I presume it's nothing so straightforward as "Well, time to start collecting stamps instead..."

The Closure is, essentially, "the end of the world as we know it". The Bungudjimay view history as a series of ages; the world is created and populated, and eventually wears out. The gods then reshape a new creation, including new people, in most ages.

What is unclear, because the priests have spent centuries arguing amongst themselves, is whether the Closure will involve the destruction of humanity. Certainly the Closure is not meant to include the physical destruction of the entire world - although it is meant to be accompanied by the usual plagues of flood, fire, etc - but whether humans will survive depends on which priestly writing you believe.

In the most popular account, the Mound of Memory is meant to give the priests the power to prevent the worst of the floods and fire, and to ensure that some humans survive into the new world.

Also, I like Baffin--he seems like a pretty decent guy, as explorers go.

True, though even the most decent explorer will have trouble dealing

A great many dead company traders in future. Britain (or the Company) will be changed by the violent and horrific enslaving these people in Christian Violence brought on by cultural misunderstandings about the meaning of killing.

Very much so. This is a real clash of cultures. The Bungudjimay view what they are doing as an honour. For some reason, every other culture they encounter doesn't see it that way.

Of course, the attraction of so many spices would probably have drawn strong British interest into the region even if the Bungudjimay had been meek peace-loving Christians.

And that's what I'm curious about. Do the heads of the dead return to life and roll around biting ankles? Do the giant stone heads if the ancestors grow giant stone bodies and begin methodically disassembling the world? Do primitively sinister Daluming warriors make a point of kidnapping the spunky and nubile Englishwoman who has stowed away in one of Baffin's ships, threatening her with ritual beheading until her inevitable last-minute rescue?! Will this provide fodder for poorly-researched historical/disaster films centuries hence?

Many of those ideas will probably show up in later in popular mythology and eventually disaster films, but the actual Bungudjimay don't have quite those views. The clash is mostly spiritual, although they do expect that the highest priest will be able to stand on the summit of the Mound of Memory and draw on its power for curses and protections and so forth.

Jared your ability to describe so vividly things like food and clothing are what set your work above all others ans make this TL a true masterpiece. It is little details like this that make a world truly come alive.

Thanks! Visualising this part of the timeline was actually quite a lot of fun.

I think that the End of Days is indeed upon the Bungudjimay, but not in the way they thought.

Well, quite possibly. :D Baffin and his ships aren't enough to exact punishment in themselves, but the British will have very strong motivation to respond to any poor treatment of Baffin and his crew. Quite apart from the lure of spices...

Also, lucky for Baffin that his interpreter is a foreigner-that will help him go around at least some of the tricky cross-cultural misunderstandings.

He is lucky, although the interpreter won't be able to prevent everything.

Also, just out of curiosity, are the Bungudjimay based on the Bundjalung?

A few details are based on the Bundjalung, including the "butterflied" version of their name, but obviously not quite everything. The real Bundjalung weren't known for head-hunting.

Hungry again.

For the sweet potato recipe, it is actually possible to get something close to that IRL, at least. I based that recipe on something I tried in a Chinese restaurant a few months back.

The "killed a man" thing is because the Bungudjimay believe that only worthy heads can be added to the Mound of Memory. What counts as "worthy" is often argued, but the two most common methods are to be of royal blood, or to be a "blooded warrior" who died in combat against another blooded warrior. That is, be a warrior who has already killed someone in fair combat, then fight another warrior who has done similarly. Whoever dies in that duel is worthy of having their head added to Glazkul.

So, in short, if a Bungudjimay man asks someone "have you killed a man?", any answer of "yes" will produce the inevitable challenge immediately thereafter.

Fantastic note to end on. Well played.

Preventing a whole crew of 17th century sailors from drunkenly boasting of prowess with violence.... Well, it would seem to be rather a tall order.

They will be somewhat helped in that this particular interpreter will not translate their statements as saying that they've been violent. Of course, this interpreter is not the only one who speaks the Islanders' language.

Lands of Red and Gold Interlude #3: A Christmas Beverage
Lands of Red and Gold Interlude #3: A Christmas Beverage

In keeping with the LoRaG tradition of Christmas specials, here is a brief exploration of one allohistorical Christmas tradition...

From: “Blue Wine, Good Time: The Making of a Christmas Tradition

Wine that bubbles and sparkles is nowadays considered by most connoisseurs to be the finest and most deserving of wines.

This was not always so. The effervescence of bubbling wines is caused by carbon dioxide dissolved in the wine, making it fizz and sparkle when opened. The properties of some wines to effervesce were known to the ancient Greeks and Romans, if not earlier.

For many centuries, this quality of wines was thought a fault, not a blessing. Lacking glass with the strength to withstand the pressure of bubbling wine, effervescing wine created an occupational hazard for medieval winemakers. Bottles that bubbled could explode, and set off a chain reaction amongst neighbouring bottles that could destroy an entire wine cellar. To say nothing of the risks to the winemakers themselves.

Since medieval times, wine from the Champagne region was known for its tendency to lightly bubble. The reason, though local vintners did not know it for centuries, was because the cold winters of Champagne would stop fermentation in the stored wine. When warmed up again in spring, or after transportation to more temperate climes, fermentation would restart inside the bottles, creating the effervescence. And, in some cases, exploding bottles.

Champagne vintners detested bubbling wine, and sought techniques to stop it. In England, though, imported Champagne wines were noted for their effervescence, and became popular for it.

Two men were the catalyst for transforming this desire into the creation of proper bubbling wines. The first, Sir Robert Mansell, was an English admiral and parliamentarian. In the early seventeenth century, he used his political connections to obtain a monopoly on English glass-making, and pioneered the establishment of glass factories which used sea coal rather than wood or charcoal in glass-making. Glass bottles made in this manner were strong enough to withstand the pressure of bubbling wine.

The second man, Christopher Merret, was an English physician, scientist, and industrial pioneer. As well as practicing medicine, Merret studied botany, agriculture, metallurgy, glassmaking, and mining. Despite his varied interests, his most important achievement was his study of the process of effervescence in wine. Merret found that the bubbling quality of wine was caused by the presence of sugar left in the bottle, and that adding sugar to a wine before bottling could turn any wine into a bubbling wine.

These discoveries set the scene for good bubbling wine. This would first, and most famously, be taken up in the Champagne region. During the later seventeenth and early eighteenth century, bubbling Champagne wine became a favourite of royalty and aristocracy in France and England alike.

For a long time, the very name Champagne became synonymous with bubbling wine; in some countries it still is. The manufacture of bubbling wine quickly spread beyond the Champagne region, to elsewhere in Europe, and in time to other winemaking regions around the globe. For the story of blue wine, however, what matters is when the craft of effervescent winemaking spread to Spain...

The practice of adding spices to wine was ancient in Europe. Wine – or other alcoholic beverages such as cider or mead – were often heated and mixed with spices or fruit. Anciently called Hipocris after the physician Hippocrates, in England they came to be called mulled wine.

Essential to making mulled wine is the process of heating it. The process which led to blue wine, however, came from another tradition entirely. One which did not rely on heating wine, but rather on adding choice, piquant flavours from spices alone.

In ancient Aururia, grapes were not known, and the alcoholic beverage of choice was ganyu, made from fermented yams. Yam “wine” in itself has little flavour, and the early Aururian brewers added the crushed pulps of local limes to the yams before fermentation, producing the basic flavour of ganyu. Different varieties of ganyu were further flavoured by combinations of the varied spices of the Great Spice Land, leading to a distinctive culture of local spiced beverages which continues in Aururia to the present day.

The road which led to blue wine started when some Aururian brewers adopted another fruit to flavour their wines. Instead of using their local limes, the Aururians turned to a plant which they called yolnu, but which is better known nowadays as the wineberry [1].

Wineberries are sweet, but not cloyingly so. While small as berries go, their distinctive flavour and sweetness proved an excellent accompaniment to regular ganyu, and in some brewing cultures, replaced the local limes entirely. Interestingly, wineberries exist in both red and blue forms, both of which give similar sweetness, but lend different colours to the finished beverage. The early Aururians seem to have chosen the blue variety as much for its colour as for any other reason.

Blue ganyu spread throughout much of the continent, and developed the same local varieties as other beverages. The form which would become most popular, however, developed around the Lower Nyalananga. Using imported spices, the local brewers created a flavour that would be treasured around the world: aniseed verbena and cinnamon verbena in roughly equal proportions, with a small portion of lemon verbena.

While blue ganyu itself became an exported product from Aururia to the world, the tale of blue wine is the story of how wineberries and spiced wine-making knowledge was brought from Aururia to Catalonia...

Medieval Champagne vintners had tried adding elderberries to their wine to improve the flavour. History does not record whether this practice was remembered and gave inspiration to adopt the Aururian practice of flavouring wine with berries. For whatever the reason, in Catalonia the vintners turned to this practice after the importation of wineberries from Aururia.

The first European wineberries were grown in the Penedés region of Catalonia, along the banks of the River Foix. The distinctive colour and flavour of “Penedés blue” became noted throughout Europe by the early eighteenth century, even before the Penedés farmers started using imported Aururian spices to create premium spiced wines.

In 1721, a rich vintner named Bartomeu Gavarró i Berdugo, whose vineyards were near the village of Sant Sadurní d'Anoia [2], successfully imported the first verbena trees, and began their cultivation. The hills of the Alt Penedés region turned out to have sufficient rainfall to sustain production of productive verbena trees, and within a few years Gavarró’s vineyards were producing Penedés blue flavoured by fresh rather than imported spices. The new vintage was still expensive, but did not require the same massive premium demanded by wines flavoured from imported spices.

The culmination of true blue wine production came when knowledge of effervescent Champagne-style wines came together with Aururian-style spiced wine to produce the greatest of modern beverages. The first recorded deliberate creation of bubbling blue wine is in 1786, when vintners in Sant Sadurní d'Anoia are described as adding sugar to blue wine before bottling and exporting the completed bubbling blue to the Algarve. Like spiced blue wines before them, effervescent blue wines soon took Europe by storm...

Only a few favoured locations in the world possess in close proximity the right microclimates needed to produce blue wine. A region must have three locales, the first warm and moist enough to grow the fresh spices needed to flavour the wine, the second warm and moderately humid to grow the grapes, and the third warm and dry enough to produce a good wineberry harvest.

Connoisseurs usually agree that Spanish blue wine from Penedés (Catalan blue) or La Rioja (Castilian blue) is the premier blue wine. The closest competitor is Kuyal Valley [Hunter Valley, NSW] blue wines from Aururia. A few other regions also produce noteworthy blues, with California and the Cape being perhaps the most well-known...

Like knowledge of creating bubbling wine, understanding of the merits of blue wine for Christmas began in England. In mid-nineteenth-century England, the wealthiest technocrats took to imbibing premium Castilian blues as an appropriate toast for the turning of Christ’s Mass. As production of blue wine increased, so the tradition spread throughout the British dominions, and in time to much of the world.

Today, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good Castilian blue will not lack for company over Christmas...

[1] This plant is the one known historically as ruby saltbush (Enchylaena tomentosa). In its wild form, it is a small shrub that grows in semiarid areas, and like many Aururian plants is tolerant of drought and poor soils. It produces foliage which is readily eaten by grazing animals, and also produces sweet but rather small berries.

Ruby saltbush has different domesticated forms grown either for their agricultural properties or as berry-producing varieties. The berry-producing cultivars have much larger berries than their wild relatives. The agricultural versions have larger leaves, and take advantage of the saltbush’s ability store salt in its leaves, and are thus very useful for desalinating any over-irrigated, salinised soil.

[2] Historically, the village of Sant Sadurní d'Anoia is in the centre of one of the most productive Spanish wine-producing regions, and is the centre of cava (Spanish champagne) production in Catalonia.

Thoughts?

I don't know an awful lot about alcohol, but it's a rather pleasant change of pace :)

The only thing I really know about alcohol is how to drink it, but hey, I'll see if I can experiment.

And so one LoRaG mystery is explained...

English technocrats?

The law of narrative conservation of enigma: for every mystery that's solved, a new one is created. :p

Also, does Australia produce any of this blue wine?

OTL Australia doesn't produce anything like it, but *Australia does, yes. The Hunter Valley (inland from Newcastle, New South Wales) is the best spot.

The main complication with growing blue wine is that the optimum latitudes for growing the Aururian spices are normally closer to the equator than the best latitudes for growing grapes. The Hunter Valley is about the furthest north that grapes are grown in Australia, but it's at the southern end of the range for growing Aururian spices.

So there's only a few spots in the world which are just right for blue wine cultivation, and they usually involve hilly areas in Mediterranean climate, since the hills attract enough rain to grow the spices in what would otherwise be too dry a climate. So places like Spain, California, Chile, and the Cape are about right - not too many others can compete.

Incidentally, one other possibility I explored for flavouring blue wine was via domesticated European bilberries (relative of domesticated North American blueberries, for those not familiar with them).

In OTL, wild-harvested bilberries are used for flavouring liqeurs, among other things. But it looks like the plants are relatively hard to domesticate, as they've been wild-harvested in Europe for millennia and no-one seems to have properly domesticated them (and even cultivating them is difficult).

Nice update Jared…

Merci.

Ironically, I just invented a cocktail I call Blue Wine. Jones bubblegum soda mixed with peach schnaps. It's a good bit more cloying than the drink you describe, but hey at least it's blue:p

Hmm... May have to see what can be mixed up along those lines. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.