Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

This will be the first flag challenge I enter. Here goes nothing:

The Dual Monarchy of Hungary and Romania - Founded in the ashes of the former Austria-Bohemia, this nation, more commonly known as Hungary-Romania or the Dual Monarchy, is a rather loose union between its two constituent nations. The top three bands represent Hungary; the bottom three, Romania, and the large blue band between them represents the Danube River that links them together. The CoAs are Hungary's and Romania's respective CoAs.
fx809k.png

The Balkan Federation - Originally created in the peace treaty between Russia and the Ottoman Empire after the Turks' humiliating loss during the Slavic revolts (the Russians intervened). The fifteen stars represent the fifteen constituent nations of the federation: Bulgaria, Moldovia, Transylvania, Wallachia, Albania, Slovenia, Croatia, Dalmatia, Bosnia, Vojvodina, Montenegro, Macedonia, Serbia, Greece, and Kosovo. The white, red, and green represent Bulgaria, the head of the Federation, while the white, red, and blue represent the other Slavic nations. The white and blue represent Greece.
wtaulw.png

The United Kingdom of Finland and Estonia - This nation was created in the late 1800s with the union of former Finland and Estonia. The government is modelled after that of Great Britain. As such, the flag incorporated the same idea of mashing together the flags of constituent nations to create the new flag. Takes the Nordic cross of Finland with the colours of the Estonian flag. Also added are two stars, the upper of which represents Finland, while the lower represents Estonia. The horizontal band in the Nordic cross also symbolizes the Gulf of Finland riding horizontally between Finland and Estonia. It is also of note that this flag is one of the few non-rectangular flags in the modern world.
sxgghu.png

Celestial Horde - Similar to OTL's Mongol hordes, the Celestial Horde is a confederation of militaristic Turkic nomads who conquered everywhere from the western parts of China in the east to the Adriatic Sea in the west. They follow Tengrism, hence the blue flag and the Tengrist symbol, as well as the name "Celestial".
xngd2x.png

United "Kingdom" of France, Italy, and the Rheinland - A monarchy only in name, with a King who is merely a figurehead. The government is closest to OTL Fascism, known ITTL as "Carolingianism". After France was humiliated in the First Great War, her economy plummeted. The French wanted revenge, against the Prussians and Italians, especially. A group of French nationalists organized as the Carolingian Party, claiming that they could help France reclaim its glory, retake its lost territories in the east and south, and punish Prussia and Italy for shaming France. After France's victory in the Second Great War, Carolingian France stretched from Bordeaux to the Rhein, and from Normandy to Sicily. The Red-White-Blue bands represent France; the Red-White-Green bands represent Italy, and the large blue band represents the mighty Rhein. The symbol, originally the monogram of Charlemagne, is the Carolingians' symbol (think OTL Swastika).
2056p0m.png

The Most Serene Republic of the Islands - Originally established by the Knights Hospitaller after the took control of the islands of Cyprus, Rhodes, and Malta, this nation has slowly transitioned from a remnant crusader state into a republic. The Knights are still the military of the country, but they no longer control the government as they used to. The flag contains the shield of the Knights Hospitaller, later adopted as the Coat of Arms in the top left, Below it are three stars representing the three capitals of the republic: Rhodes, Valletta, and Nicosia. The three white bars represent the three islands themselves, with the black bars representing the sea that surrounds each one.
28tv9z.png

Last edited:
This will be the first flag challenge I enter. Here goes nothing:

Very nice. The only suggestion I would make is that on your Romanian coat of arms, the central device, quartered black and white, is the symbol of the Hohenzollern dynasty, kings of Romania - as they (presumably) aren't kings here, you may wish to remove it.

Very nice. The only suggestion I would make is that on your Romanian coat of arms, the central device, quartered black and white, is the symbol of the Hohenzollern dynasty, kings of Romania - as they (presumably) aren't kings here, you may wish to remove it.

I admit I didn't notice that. I'll fix it as soon as I can.

I updated the flag so it doesn't have the Hohenzollern Coat of Arms.