Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, a map for the PISOT setting (writeup on the PISOT thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=241560&page=51 or on the ASB scenario thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=158644&page=68 )

Bruce

PSIOTAt50.png

Peaceful in OTL 2012, no? Or has northern Somalia historically been a lot more stable than the rest of the country?

Bruce
British Somaliland had a stable border, unlike the constantly disputed one between the Italian and Ethiopian sectors. A Dervish revolt seemed to have been the only major disturbance for it's recent history, while it could be a decent staging ground against Italian held lands while probably looking good to the Somalis and Muslims in the surrounding lands.

Australia currently _exports_ food, doesn't it? It's not like they're doing Israel levels of efficient water management. And New Zealand could certainly produce more food than it does now.
That's precisely it - the Australians are depleting their environment at the current population level. Yes, they might be exporting food at the moment, but that's just exacerbating their problems. You have similar issues in the US, where they're basically recreating the Dust Bowl.

Not saying it's impossible, they do have the uranium to power desalinization plants, and much better urban planning could help as well. It would certainly be very different from the current Australia though, suburbs with large lawns are right out. I guess I should amend it to "overpopulated assuming similar government structure and material culture."

Nietzsche

Banned
That's precisely it - the Australians are depleting their environment at the current population level. Yes, they might be exporting food at the moment, but that's just exacerbating their problems. You have similar issues in the US, where they're basically recreating the Dust Bowl.
...Eh? The Dust Bowl was caused by a mixture of lackluster agrarian knowledge and general failure of mechanization. Once those problems were rectified, the conditions to recreate the Dust Bowl would have to intentionally be re-made. They won't just happen by accident, not in the US, simply because we remember that portion of our history really well and have taken nearly every measure to ensure it doesn't happen again.

...Eh? The Dust Bowl was caused by a mixture of lackluster agrarian knowledge and general failure of mechanization. Once those problems were rectified, the conditions to recreate the Dust Bowl would have to intentionally be re-made. They won't just happen by accident, not in the US, simply because we remember that portion of our history really well and have taken nearly every measure to ensure it doesn't happen again.
And yet huge parts of the US are experiencing intensifying droughts, all the while wasting water on maintaining lawns and growing crops that have no place in a semi-desert environment.

“In the southeast of the United States, we have a long history of taking for granted the amount of water that we have,”

Why was the only peaceful area in Somalia liquidated?

It did end up in American, and not Italian hands. It's perfectly likely that the Somalis revolted one too many times and got a particularly horrible military governor who thinks he can recreate the United States' western expansion in Africa....

... you make me wish I were blind.

You were warned for that?! Hmm, considering it was a kiddie-glove passive-aggressive response, I'd say it's probably one of the 'nicer' responses on the subject. But, I suppose, there wasn't a 'contribution' as such in that, either...

Don't insult people.

Fine, I'll have to War of the Triple Alliance on someone else. (Grumble, grumble). Any suggestions? :)

Bruce
Sudan, Spain, Serbia... Serbia is probably the best bet. Denmark would have been a good choice, but you already split it in three, the Celts not getting a share in the process. If you want something for the Somalis you could probably have the Americans and Italians clear away the coasts in an attempt to screw each other other.

Sudan, Spain, Serbia... Serbia is probably the best bet. Denmark would have been a good choice, but you already split it in three, the Celts not getting a share in the process. If you want something for the Somalis you could probably have the Americans and Italians clear away the coasts in an attempt to screw each other other.

Celts? Denmark? You seem to be thinking of a different map... :)

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.