A Lesbian ATL: Sappho's Disciple

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Hendryk said:
Actually the "lesbian" (in the contemporary sense of the word) bit is optional. What I'd like to determine is the feasability of the Lesbian congregation forming the core of a proselyte mystery cult dedicated to Aphrodite. Once it makes some converts among other city-states that had trading links with Lesbos, it could be the beginning of a gradual spread throughout the Hellenistic world. I don't think it would plausibly become a majority religion, but it might seduce a sizeable share of the population, become a permanent fixture of the Hellene and Latin cultures, and influence later religious movements.

Anyone feels like grabbing the concept and running with it, they're welcome to.

One way to accomplish this might be to tie the worship of sex of all kinds into Temple Prostitution. Brothels were, AFAIK a completely legal and aboveboard business in the ancient world and every small town had one, while cities had very many. If these were also the Lesbian Temple, a sort of Union and training academy for prostitutes, then we have the basis of a very powerful and widespread institution.

Since they handle money, they might even become bankers. Since this money would require protection, both from robbers and the government, we might get a supra-national group of elite warriors, either bands of homosexual males, bonded like the bands in Sparta, males and females, or some combination of both. This could offer protection against Christian persecution or possibly serve as a counterweight or even preventive to its rise in the first place.

I think I might have an idea for the novel I'm supposed to be writing

damn it...you got my hopes up with lesbian in the title

Oh, all right. Since everyone seems to be trying to work out how to do this, I give you... the ultimate in Draka analogues.

Taken from: "Lesbos to Cosmos: Bringing the World under the High Heel"
(c) 2222 NC [2004 AD] Harp, Knife and Whip Publishing. Rhennett-in-the-Holy-Province [Cape Town, South Africa]

Sappho was the first of the Holy Mothers, Dominya Triax in the Old Tongue, the first to hear the Call of Aphrodite. Sappho was not yet granted the full truth, but she was the first to set foot upon the road. As she said in her celebrated “Hymm to Aphrodite”:

“Deathless face alight with your smile, you asked me
What I suffered, who was my cause of anguish,
What would ease the pain of my frantic mind, and
Why had I called you

To my side: "And whom should Persuasion summon
Here, to soothe the sting of your passion this time?
Who is now abusing you, Sappho? Who is
Treating you cruelly?

Now she runs away, but she'll soon pursue you;
Gifts she now rejects--soon enough she'll give them;
Now she doesn't love you, but soon her heart will
Burn, though unwilling."

Come to me once more, and abate my torment;
Take the bitter care from my mind, and give me
All I long for; Lady, in all my battles
Fight as my comrade.”

The Lady, Aphrodite the Divine, had first touched the world through the person of Sappho. Thus the first Holy Mother felt love in its purest form, the embodiment of Desire, born of the purity of desire rather than a frigid passion for procreation, and she took her life-partner the lady Eneria, former wife of the tyrant of Syracuse. Sappho and Eneria were the First Mothers, and they brought the new worship of Aphrodite to many of the women of Syracuse. Sappho and Eneria adopted a daughter, Philonoe, who became the Second Holy Mother, and continued to spread the truth of Aphrodite to every woman who would listen.

For five generations the Holy Mothers dwelt in Syracuse, spreading the good news to all women who would listen. But while Desire is the ultimate embodiment of womanhood, and will be the true celebration in the world to come, the worshippers of Aphrodite found their numbers fading over time. Many women accepted the love of Aphrodite from time to time, but not for the rest of their lives. They would not accept the perfect partnership of Desire that is between woman and woman, falling victim to the phallusy of procreation and other worldly ways. The followers of the One Goddess were fading in number as the generations passed, able only to adopt as successors women who did not hear the full truth of the call.

The Sixth Holy Mother, Antea of Agrigento, listened to the wisdom of Divine Aphrodite, and heard more of the truth than had been revealed to Sappho. Antea realised that the fullness of Desire could not yet be realised, and that generation after generation would pass until the One-Under-Aphrodite would be revealed, one whose pursuit of Desire was perfect enough that not even Hades himself could keep the One intact. Antea said:

“It shall be written on the forehead,
O Desire, I implore thee,
Lust most pure I embrace thee,
The grave is no bar to thy call.”

Until the One came, it would be left to the followers of Aphrodite to sustain themselves and bring the world to the truth. For the Sanctified women, the Holy Mothers and those who worked with them, the purity of Desire would be absolute, and they could touch no man. For the other women, those who had been touched by Desire but had not yet fully abstained from the lust for Procreation, they could touch men, and from their numbers the sisterhood of Aphrodite would be maintained. Only the purest would feel the call to the Inner Temple, those women whom no man could touch, on pain of death.

Under Antea and her daughters and the new wisdom, the worship of Aphrodite spread far and wide. But the wrath of men was aroused, stirred by the grip of Hades who feared the One that would come, and the Sisters were pursued wherever they dwelt. Forced to turn from their purity and Desire, the Eighth Holy Mother was stripped of her rank and forcibly married to King Erasmus of Sparta. Only one of her daughters escaped, Katrina the Ninth, who took refuge in Carthage, where a remnant of the Sisters of Aphrodite found sanctuary.

There they were tolerated for a time, but the One did not come. When Carthage fell before the wrath of Rome, the Sisters were among those who escaped on the Great Fleet which fled out of Rome’s wrath, between the Pillars of Hercules and far down Africa out of reach of the legions. Emilia the Twentieth Holy Mother was the first to set foot on the new land which the men claimed as New Carthage, but which she named the Holy Province.

Here, in this land kept nearly empty by the grace of the Lady, the Sisters of Aphrodite would find their true home. Those women who had not accepted the full purity took up weapons on the ships, and they claimed control. They formed the first of the Marines, who until this day are the ultimate warriors of Aphrodite. They have a place in the full citizenship of the State, which is otherwise reserved only for the Sappha, the elite Sisters who have accepted the full purity of Desire and touch only women.

Yet the Marines, for all their skill, are too few in number to serve all the needs of the State. As they began their conquest of the new land, in the heat of battle they also felt the lust. There were men accompanying the Marines, or who had fought them and been defeated, and the Marines accepted some of them. Those who were conceived on the night after a successful battle were called the Janussaries, in memory of Janus the god of war. The men and women born in these ranks, or those who can trace their ancestry to them, became the main armies of the State. The Marines are the elite, but the Janussaries are the bulk of the army. They are the ones who followed the vision of the Holy Mothers as they directed the armies of the State to conquer the world, in search of the One who had been foretold. All those who were not descended from the Great Fleet became as slaves beneath the will of the Holy Mothers and the Sappha. The Sappha directed the Marines and the Janussaries to go everywhere, in the Great Search.

Two thousand years and more passed, as the Sappha extended their rule across Africa and then across the world. No nation could stand before them for long, but the One remained unfound. Until one of the Marines took a night of leave in a newly-conquered town on the shores of the fifth of the large lakes on the northern extremity of the lands west of the Atlantic [i.e. the Great Lakes]. There Br. Amy [Br is a unisex term of respectful address, used for all Sappha citizens except the Holy Mothers] chose one of the men who had been in the opposing army, and called for him to assuage her lust according to the old customs.

Unlike most men whom Br. Amy had met, this man used not the blunt actions of lust which most men indulge in, but the higher forms of Desire which usually are practised only between men. So unexpected was this form that Amy felt the release, and in her pleasure she squeezed upon the man, and for a time he was dead. Yet Hades could not hold him, and the man who was dead was returned. Then did Amy remember the words of old, the One for whom the grave was no bar to the call of Desire. Nowhere in the words of any of the Holy Mothers had been it said that the One would be a man, but it was undeniable. Uno (the One) he was called, and a citizen he must be, where no man had ever been before, Br. Uno in the Old Tongue, and the prophesied leader of all the Sappha...

Hendryk

Banned
Uno (the One) he was called, and a citizen he must be, where no man had ever been before, Br. Uno in the Old Tongue, and the prophesied leader of all the Sappha...
A descendant of that old tribe the Lombards he must have been...

Great stuff :cool: :D

Jared's TL was indeed amazing, if not altogether plausible.

Hell, why not have the lesbian cult as a (regional) power? Stranger things have alternately happened...

Jared's TL was indeed amazing, if not altogether plausible.

Hell, why not have the lesbian cult as a (regional) power? Stranger things have alternately happened...

Like this? Well, in ancient Greece that probably fell under "a bit weird" rather than ASB. But it would be cool to see them fight the lesbian Lesbians...

So is this cult dedicated to homosexuality? Cause if it is, how is the population of a majority gay island going to reproduce themselves. Or are they just going to be bisexual like the rest of the Greeks.

Easy, gay-lesbian symbiosis ritual where every so often children are conceived as a sacrifice to the City Mother Goddess.