A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool map Imajin, I'd like to see Rome vs. Caliphate :D
Well for now they're in a shaky alliance, but that could change...
But could someone comment mine?
Hm, well, yay for someone else using my basemap (though have the oceans dried up? :p )

I'm surprised the Goths are still around... and Courland has done very well for itself, I see... Though, the Finnish border is OTL!

Diamond

Banned
Cool map Imajin, I'd like to see Rome vs. Caliphate :D

But could someone comment mine?
I like that 'crumpled paper' background quite a bit. Do you have the original background that you can post? (Hmm. We should start a Map Background Thread. :D )

Hapsburg

Banned
WORLD, 1862.
world1862kp8.png

The war between Vellicia and Austria-Spain is over. The Elven empire lost several colonial regions in Africa to Spain. However, the spanish treasury was now so exhausted that they were forced to sell one of their oldest colonies- the gold coast, to Britain. Prussia has additionally begun to compete with Austria for African colonies, though Britain and France are far beyond them. The peace treaty redrew the African political map, organizing the jumble of claims into territories. The African Confederacy, as it is referred by Europeans, had been partitioned into control zones by Britain, Austria, Vellicia, and France.
In America, the civil war still rages between the Empire of the United States of America and the Confederation of American Republics. Britain and France openly support the United States; also on the continent is the civil war in Mexico, pitting the Republican government against an angered populace, supported by French troops. It is anticipated that a second Mexican monarchy will be formed. The isle of Cuba remains in American hands, after being captured from Mexico in 1848, and is the residence of the exiled King of Florida.
In Europe, the German Confederation, nominally led by Austria but militarily led by Prussia, has defeated United Scandinavia for control over Schleswig and Holstein, a region that was once within the boundaries of the HRE. The majority of the German states are predicting a war between the two leading powers of the confederation, and they are all choosing sides for the impending war. This shall soon cause what is effectively a German civil war. For the time being, most of Europe is at peace, though in the low countries, there are small revolts, though nothing organized has occurred...yet.
In far-east Asia, The Japanese/Chinese union is experiencing a civil war, while upon the precipice of total victory against the Qing and Manchu forces, after nearly a century of fighting. The rebels are extremist christians who believe fervently that the only way to "purify" China and bring about the Second Coming is to defeat both the Qing and Japanese claims to china, and destroy the Manchu peoples in order to create a christian Han state. British and Sinojapanese troops have begun to engage the rebels, to put an end to the constant fighting in China and finally bring peace and unity to the Far East. At the same time, the Qing continue to fight a guerilla war throughout Xinjiang and Northern Manchuria. The British have promised to cede Canton to the Sinojapanese Empire after the rebellion in southern china is crushed and the Qing are defeated. The Huangdi/Tennou of Sinojapan has agreed to allow Britain free trade throughout China and the Far East.

Still screwing around. I'll probably make "real" maps when cranking up the Empires under the Suns TL - or even the other one.

Geneva.png

Greetings and salutations.

It’s been a while since I last put up a map, so here’s one: it’s from a TL, based on an old soc.history.what-if thread, in which the Islamic world developed science and it’s own form of “modernity” while Christian Europe didn’t. The Americas speak Arabic and some Berber, except for West-African colonized N. Brazil and Danish Markland (too poor and cold to bother taking: New England is only thinly settled in this TL).

Al-Andalus a.k.a. the Caliphate of Cordoba dominates the history of this TL even more than the British Empire does in ours: most of it’s former colonies have become independent, but several states either remain closely tied to it or have entered into close association for fear of powerful neighbors.

Europe is rather backward, having missed out on the Renaissance and the scientific revolution: it had a reformation of sorts, but the national churches that replaced the Catholic church are by an large rather conservative and hostile to modernity in it’s Islam-flavored form. Poland is a nastily authoritarian state (think Saddam’s Iraq) and the Caliphate has already had to intervene militarily to prevent their development of atomic weapons, to prevent an outright occupation of the place by the Turks. France’s shaky monarchy is threatened by extremist elements, and the Anglo-Dutch monarchy has modernized about as successfully as our TL’s Turkey. Christian terrorism is a big problem in Italy, where more than a third of the population is still Christian (they form an absolute majority in large parts of the north). On the positive side, the present independent Christian states largely avoided direct colonization, although the Germanies were briefly a Turkish vassal and the Caliphate briefly occupied half of Francia in the 19th century and early 20th.

The Turkish Unity follows a supposedly rationalist totalitarian ideology developed by an Egyptian scholar: it’s somewhat less economically idiotic than OTL communism, but not much less repressive politically. The Ukraine and S. Russia have been heavily Islamicized and turkified. Since the last big war, it has been in occupation of western Persia: the eastern half survives thanks to support from the Caliphate, the Bengali Sultanate, and the north Americans (relatively a somewhat less powerful state than the OTL US: less centralized, and less densely populated in the north).

India is a bit on the backward side by the standards of Arabs, Turks, or Persians: think Latin America OTL. In the disruptions of the last war, several large areas suffered from successful revolts of the Hindu population: the Islamic states have reconsolidated their position, but the desire for a free and united Hindustan remains. Most people expect war will break out in the area again soon.

Africa was never fully colonized, and is mostly Muslim by now, although there are still large pagan populations in some of the inland states. Japan and Indonesia fought a 20-year war to divide East Asia between themselves: Japan, which is somewhat of an outsider in this TL as the one great non-Islamic power, has an “alliance of convenience” with the Turks.

Although the level of technology is generally a bit higher than OTL, it’s generally less secular, even in the modern Muslim lands. Jews are generally more tolerated in the Islamic world than Christians, although something of a “glass ceiling” remains for them. Atomic weapons, developed on a slow-track by Andalusian scientists to deter Turkish expansion, have been kept limited in numbers by treaties and inspection regimes, but all of the Big Powers still have hundreds of the damn things.

The Caliph in Cordova has not had much real power since the middle ages, [1] but he’s still the theoretical leader of Islam worldwide (something the Peruvian regime, the wacky heretical Dominion (think Muslim Mormons. In the jungle) and the rather secular north Americans don’t really put much stock in).

Best,
Bruce

[1] Our middle ages, of course: historians of this TL don’t classify things the same way…

Al-Andalus2.png

The Caliph in Cordova has not had much real power since the middle ages, [1] but he’s still the theoretical leader of Islam worldwide (something the Peruvian regime, the wacky heretical Dominion (think Muslim Mormons. In the jungle) and the rather secular north Americans don’t really put much stock in).

Oh, and the Turks don't pay much attention, either...

Bruce

Very excellent map and TL, Bruce. Good to see you finally do another one!

Thanks...been busy lately, but perhaps I'll have a bit more time to post stuff. BTW, if Leo is reading this, can you suggest a good name for the Islamic new world? I went with "Jabirsland" (from Jabir the great navigator, the local equivalent of Columbus), but it doesn't really soar, and I would like to have the correct Arabic form...(heck, "United Provinces" isn't really very good either, but I dunno what a federal, democratic Islamic Arab nation would call it's major political subdivisions.)

Best,
Bruce

Diamond

Banned
Nice map, Imajin. Although, wouldn't Florida likely be under water or look different here? The whole state's mostly low-lying grassland, forest, or swamp, after all.

I wasn't really going for "raised sea levels", just a lot more lakes... I originally planned just to have the Northwest Passage, then started adding a few more changes here and there, and it added up.

Diamond

Banned
So here's my post-apocalyptic America. Technology and society are at about the equivalent of the early 16th century; the current year is 2680 or thereabouts.

I was so inspired and impressed with Scarecrow's map and story snippet that I think I may just resurrect the idea behind this for my entry in the novel contest...

Last edited:
So here's my post-apocalyptic America. Technology and society are at about the equivalent of the early 16th century; the current year is 2680 or thereabouts.

I was so inspired and impressed with Scarecrow's map and story snippet that I think I may just resurrect the idea behind this for my entry in the novel contest...
:eek: Holy Details Diaman, I think we have a nominee for map of the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.