Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

The Kingdom of the Netherlands, inspired by the British example, reforms it's colonial empire in the late 1890s and adopts a colonial ensign, the Oranje Koloniaal (first flag).

2mhwwll.png

The Oranje Koloniaal became the basis for the various colonies, including Surinam (second flag) and the colonies which were created in the East Indies Division in 1896, e.g. Sumatra (third flag). The simple emblem of Suriname stood for the natural wealth of the colony (green diamond) and the union between the five ethnicities (five-pointed star). The more complex emblem of Sumatra, typical for the East Indies colonies, stood for the complex and rich history of the island (the "frame"), the peace between Islam and Hinduism (red-white-green) and the cotton stood for industrial progress.

2k4roo.png

3532jw5.png

I give you Colonial Scotland. As a result of Charles II of Spain dying within days of the the landing of the Darien Venture colonists, the War of the Spanish Succession starts earlier. Scotland remains neutral, and retains its independence and its Darien colony. In the late 18th Century, Scottish settlement of Nova Scotia (OTL Vancouver Island) begins, and in the early 19th Century, Scotland manages to acquire the Sandalwood Islands (OTL Eastern Bismarck Archipelago and Western Solomons) and the island of Pemba, as well as some other colonies, but the others were lost before Scotland become a republic in the early 20th Century. These are the last flags in use by each colony before their respective admissions as constituent provinces of the Republic of Scotland.

Scottish Colonial Flags.png

I give you Colonial Scotland. As a result of Charles II of Spain dying within days of the the landing of the Darien Venture colonists, the War of the Spanish Succession starts earlier. Scotland remains neutral, and retains its independence and its Darien colony. In the late 18th Century, Scottish settlement of Nova Scotia (OTL Vancouver Island) begins, and in the early 19th Century, Scotland manages to acquire the Sandalwood Islands (OTL Eastern Bismarck Archipelago and Western Solomons) and the island of Pemba, as well as some other colonies, but the others were lost before Scotland become a republic in the early 20th Century. These are the last flags in use by each colony before their respective admissions as constituent provinces of the Republic of Scotland.

the only problem i see is the pod...even with a earlier war, it wouldnt have stopped the act of union...by Annes reign it was pretty much inevitable

Perhaps, but who knows if the sides would have been exactly the same? And would the union have occurred if England was badly stomped? Maybe after a differently decided Alt-Blenheim, France takes Vienna, and knocks Austria out of the war. France buys off some pro-Union Scots, and as part of the eventual peace, England is forbidden to unify with Scotland. Something of a revival of the Auld Alliance could occur, I suppose. In any case, I am not looking for a hyper-realistic timeline, just something that is at least marginally plausible, to serve as a bit of background for the flags.

Italian Colonial Ensign

A small sampling of the colonial ensigns of the Italian Empire as per the 1927 template. Though technicaly not colonies, flag chosen by the government for the protectorates do tend to somewhat follow the colonial pattern altough with the royal crown instead of the colonial one.

italian-colonies-table.png

Last edited:
A small sampling of the colonial ensigns of the Italian Empire as per the 1927 template. Though technicaly not colonies, flag chosen by the government for the protectorates do tend to somewhat follow the colonial pattern altough with the royal crown instead of the colonial one.

Nice. Wouldn't it be Viceregal Ensign rather than Viceroy Ensign, though?

Very nice.
There does appear to be some artifact under the colonial crowns tho

What is, IYHO, the best depiction of the Courland coat of arms ? I really like this one, though it in itself is a bit AH-y. But I like it, since it has a more crisp look to it than many of the older ones.

What is, IYHO, the best depiction of the Courland coat of arms ? I really like this one, though it in itself is a bit AH-y. But I like it, since it has a more crisp look to it than many of the older ones.

Hm, I wonder why they're using that version of the second one for the wiki article. They used to have a higher quality version, I'm sure of it.

Searched around a bit on Google, and managed to find a larger and more crisp version: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Coat_of_Arms_of_Duchy_of_Courland.jpg

You may know this already, but Courland seems to have used a different symbol for their colonial holdings than their CoA historically. Probably doesn't matter considering the theme of the challenge, but in case you haven't seen it before I figured I'd post it for inspiration and whatnot:
4ZhSw.gif

You may know this already, but Courland seems to have used a different symbol for their colonial holdings than their CoA historically. Probably doesn't matter considering the theme of the challenge, but in case you haven't seen it before I figured I'd post it for inspiration and whatnot:

Oh my goodness, that really wasn't a prank flag ?! :eek: Which Courland colony had a pinkish flag with a crab ? It's so weird. Was it that African colony they had on the island off the OTL Gambian coast ? :confused:

P.S. Thanks for the crisper version. I'm still thinking I might use the more modern, unrealized CoA as a template - like many of the flags in this round, it's going to be for a Courland that held its colonial empire until the mid 20th century or so and had a colonial flag reform a few decades prior. ;)

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, that really wasn't a prank flag ?! :eek: Which Courland colony had a pinkish flag with a crab ? It's so weird. Was it that African colony they had on the island off the OTL Gambian coast ? :confused:

P.S. Thanks for the crisper version. I'm still thinking I might use the more modern, unrealized CoA as a template - like many of the flags in this round, it's going to be for a Courland that held its colonial empire until the mid 20th century or so and had a colonial flag reform a few decades prior. ;)
I don't *think* the Courland Colonization Crab is a prank, but I am not 100% sure. It was supposedly used for their African colonies yeah.

Here's a third alternative I am personally quite fond of: (Courtesy of Wappenwiki.org)
kKOf7.png