Agricola's Folly- The Tale of a Roman Ireland

Abhakhazia

Banned
Yesssss. Becouse I'm wondering what the language is like and what type of language it is.

Its pritty much Latin, with a lot of Celtic and a bit of Germanic influence.

Thanks for reading this thread, everybody. It had grown enough that I figured it merited a wiki page, so I made it one.

Its pritty much Latin, with a lot of Celtic and a bit of Germanic influence.

So it's a romance laguage. But I would still like that update that goes in depth about it.

Also congratulations for the wiki page on AH.com wiki. Maybe if it get's big enough it'll go where all the big boys go...TVtropes.com.:D:cool::p:D:cool:

Abhakhazia

Banned
Hadrian

Hadrian, Trajan's nephew, took over from Trajan upon his death in 118. Hadrian was a visionary architect and scholar, and noted for his great campaign of reforms. At the onset of Hadrian's reign, the empire stretched from a fortified, shaky frlontier aginst Rome's archrival, Parthia, with the Roman puppet of Armenia in the way in the north. In the south, a long, desert frontier stretched from the mountains of Mauretania, down to the brief flush of green that was the Nile River and Nubia. Across it, fierce Berber and Nubian tribes reigned, often attacked by illegal slave traders. In the North, Dacia was falling apart, while the Danube, Alps and Rhine protected Rome from the fiercer German tribes. Finally was the west, where the wide Ocean protected Rome from anything that lay across it, but the natives in Caledonia were getting restless.

Hadrian realized that the empire was too large, if it stayed this large, and this centralized, could not survive even 100 years. He pulled of Dacia and Caledonia, and started his campaign of reforms.

He gave more powers to provinicial governors, including the right to pick senators to represent their provinces in the Senate. The Senate had a bit more power, as well, but still, anything that could be passed could be vetoed by the emperor.

Hadrian also required that the next emperor must be picked from the group of governors. But since the emperor can choose the governors, the heir apparent was often given the governorship of Hispania, an easily governed, loyal province. Eventually, the Governor of Hispania was pritty much synonimous with "Crown Prince".

Hadrian's next task was to tour the empire, where he eventually ended up in our favorite province, Hibernia.

He decided to visit Flaviapolis, now a bustling port town. He paraded and bestowed Flaviapolis with an giagantic gold imperial eagle.

This eagle was the subject of a bestselling novel, turned moving picture, know as "Eagle for the Province".

-----------​

Stay tuned guys! There's another update about the Hibernian language coming!

Abhakhazia

Banned
Hibernian

The Hibernian language is known as the "lingua franca" of the modern British isles.

The language's roots go back to of course, Agricola's invasion in AD 81 when the Romans introduced Latin into the area.

By 100, thousands of Roman retired legionnaries were settling in the province, quickly outnumbering the natives.

Some of the richer citizens owned large amounts of property, and had many a native worker on their villa property, which spoke Hibernian Celtic. The two languages mixed, and by 200, a pidgen slave language was spoken throughout rural Hibernia, with Latin spoken through the town. This pidgin is considered "Ancient Hibernian" by linguists.

As Rome became largely disconnected from Hibernia and trade became less and less important, many from the fully Romanized towns moved in the country, particularly the north, where Ancient Hibernian was already spoken more than Latin in the countryside. Eventually, the language gained more latinization, going further away from it's Celtic roots. By Hibernian independence, in the early 6th century, the language was at it's most latinized stage.

Then the Kings of Hibernia began their reconquest of Western Britain, where the Frisian settlers and Celtic natives barely spoke Latin. The large amount of Saxon and Frisian slaves know as "seaxes" from the word "Saxon" which still means "slave", just as in other languages, in comes from "Slav".

The "seaxes" brought their language and traditions to Hibernia, and brought in the Germanic influenced stage of Hibernian, knownas "Midæval Hibernian", which brings us into the years of the Norse invasion.

The Kingdom of Hibernia fell to Norse invaders from the Jorvik in the mid-900s. Culture was miraclulously preserved, for the occupation was brief, but there was a mark on the language, for example, the word for referring to a group of people became "thei" of the Norse influence.

Into the modern era, Hibernian gained influence from the continent, with other European cultures, now more readily trading.

This leaves us at today's Modern Hibernian.

Interesting.

Also I wonder why Hiberian is langua franca of the british isles. I assume the nations on the main isle have their own laguages. So why is Hiberian so much more important than the other languages?

Abhakhazia

Banned
Interesting.

Also I wonder why Hiberian is langua franca of the british isles. I assume the nations on the main isle have their own laguages. So why is Hiberian so much more important than the other languages?

Because the British Isles are more fractured, and Hibernia is the largest part. So naturally, it's the lingua franca.

Because the British Isles are more fractured, and Hibernia is the largest part. So naturally, it's the lingua franca.
Ok. So becouse Hibernia is (I assume) the most important and most powerfull it's the one that's language is the most important. Is my assumtion correct?

Also, is their any "english" language in this world?

Abhakhazia

Banned
Ok. So becouse Hibernia is (I assume) the most important and most powerfull it's the one that's language is the most important. Is my assumtion correct?

Yep. But I will give away no more....;)

What do you think about Hadrian's proto-Federalism?

I doubt there would be much Roman settlement in Hibernia, asides from colonies of military veterans, especially in a relatively unimportant, backwater province of the Roman Empire. And the local Celtic languages would not die so easily; the Gaulish and Brythonic languages outlasted the longevity of the Roman Empire in the West before being suppressed by Germanic invasion and the rise of Christianity.

Abhakhazia

Banned
I doubt there would be much Roman settlement in Hibernia, asides from colonies of military veterans, especially in a relatively unimportant, backwater province of the Roman Empire. And the local Celtic languages would not die so easily; the Gaulish and Brythonic languages outlasted the longevity of the Roman Empire in the West before being suppressed by Germanic invasion and the rise of Christianity.

Ireland was barely populated in the 1st century. ANY amount of Romans would basically displace the native language.

Ireland was barely populated in the 1st century. ANY amount of Romans would basically displace the native language.

I highly doubt the island would be so easily Romanized. Not unless the Empire exterminated the male population and enslaved the rest like in Dacia.

If Ireland is conquered, settled with enough Roman ex-soldiers to create a solidly loyal population, and is economically marginal enough to stay beneath notice of major pirates or armies, there are a few notable effects. You have a potential for a decent kingdom to emerge with engineering, technology, and population capacity far above many of the post-Roman states in Europe. Unless the island fractures into city-states or implodes, they have an advantage in organization, supplies, and manpower. They would likely try to take or at least investigate the possibility of conquering Wales and Cornwall, perhaps making a deal with some of the Pictish tribes in the north to this effect. Roman refugees from elsewhere may decide to flee to a Roman Island which would be more defensible from bands of raiding nomads, and a Roman governor may see himself as heir to the Empire. Successors, especially as they would likey declare themselves Emperors, would try to lay claim on whatever they could. I could see this state conquering much of Britain with or without Scotland as time goes by wit hteh chance to become a powerhouse in Northern Europe, perhaps with trade stretching into the Mediterranean as time goes by. Viking incursions will be a problem later on but it also depends on what sort of navy this Hibernian-Roman state will have. It might be a hiccup for Rome and make Ireland a more cosmopolitan place early on, but it might also cause the British Isles and perhaps parts of modern France and the Low Countries to become part of a Irish kingdom as time goes by.