Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

The scene with Chip and his grandparents is heartbreaking.:(

Just Reading "the grapple" I couldn't help but think of Camp Determination.

However, compared to Hospital scenes by Macragge, this all seemed mild.

Also, Americans are still driven to their Graves while we learnt earlier that Soviet citizens were expected to Walk slowly towards the graveyards.

After reading what happened to Chip's maternal grandparents, I'm beginning to think his paternal grandmother and great aunt were lucky, given that they died immediately in the Omaha strikes.

I do have to feel sorry for everyone who has to perform this euthanasia task, though. At least Chip doesn't go the easy route and portray those doing it as monsters.

A lot of the people are well-intentioned, but I remember a quote (and this was the theme of another AH, For All Time) that goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Waiting for the next update.

BTW, Chip, have you seen the movie The Grey? Trust me, even this TL isn't as downbeat as that movie was.

DAYUM CHIP!!!! Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. May their souls, and all souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

And hopefully the blondie's life is spared. I have a weakness for pretty girls....:eek:

It's a sure bet suicide rates will be much, much higher than it was before the Exchange, and they could remain high for many years to come. Not just due to PTSD and the like, but also due to cancer and other long-term/terminal illnesses which may cause chronic pain and great suffering. The same may well go for euthanasia.

It's a sure bet suicide rates will be much, much higher than it was before the Exchange, and they could remain high for many years to come. Not just due to PTSD and the like, but also due to cancer and other long-term/terminal illnesses which may cause chronic pain and great suffering. The same may well go for euthanasia.

I very much agree on the latter Point and I would say that the Lines between Suizide and Euthanasia may Often Be blurred.

I am fairly sure that generally, euthanasia will Become accepted until, decases later, the relation between Medical capabilities and the amount of cancer-Cases Shifts again- or for good.

And hopefully the blondie's life is spared. I have a weakness for pretty girls....:eek:

She can begin to attempt to redeem herself by volunteering to help take care of patients at crowded medical facilities. After five years of that, I'll consider re-assessing her case, as long as she doesn't spout any snot about her deserving something because she's caucasian.

Where's Don Henley in this TL? I was just wondering because I was reading Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s.

It occurred to me that he'd leave for Gilmer (since it would likely be spared) at the first available opportunity (before the exchange, of course). He was working on the album Building the Perfect Beast in 1983-1984 (it was released in November of that year and the first single from that album, "The Boys of Summer" would be released in October of 1984 (1).)

(1) Thank you, wikipedia.

John Farson

Banned
Where's Don Henley in this TL? I was just wondering because I was reading Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s.

It occurred to me that he'd leave for Gilmer (since it would likely be spared) at the first available opportunity (before the exchange, of course). He was working on the album Building the Perfect Beast in 1983-1984 (it was released in November of that year and the first single from that album, "The Boys of Summer" would be released in October of 1984 (1).)

(1) Thank you, wikipedia.

Assuming he survived and was somehow able to finish "The Boys of Summer", I wonder if he would be conscripted by the authorities into performing it (and other songs) in one of the surviving radio stations, in a bid to boost public morale? I got the idea from "Land of Sad Songs," where the Finnish government has gathered the surviving celebrities and uses them for morale and propaganda purposes.

People listening to his song would probably first and foremost be reminded of the world that was, which is now forever gone.

She can begin to attempt to redeem herself by volunteering to help take care of patients at crowded medical facilities. After five years of that, I'll consider re-assessing her case, as long as she doesn't spout any snot about her deserving something because she's caucasian.

Five years community service and five years of probation after that....

April 1984. Crops are being planted. But bad seeds are being sown, too.

"This is business, Mr. Tyles. Your ideology is not my concern, as long as it doesn't get in the way of my position."

"What I propose will strengthen your position, Mr. Raimondo."

Update to come later today...

And also stay tuned...

Duck and Cover: After The California War

coming soon.

Land Of Flatwater: Plantings

Radio Nebraska annoucement -- Friday March 30, 1984 10am Central Standard Time

The following is an official announcement of the Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government. Here now is Steven Newell, Agriculture Executive.

"All able bodied men women and children are to report to their regional control points, local town halls or civic center or other designated Emergency centers starting at 0800 Saturday March 31, 1984.

The purpose is the assignment to designated agricultural service units in your area. Our goal is to have every acre of available farmland decontaminated and for planting of crops to commence per the guidelines set from the Department of Agriculture and disclosed via your local county extension services. These documents were released statewide in February before the attacks on our state and our nation.

Your participation in this effort is critical and mandatory. The only ones excused are those injured, infirmedm or on field assignment for your area's local public safety and defense.

This will not be an easy venture. Our farmland is ravaged. We will have to show the hardy spirit of our pioneer ancestors. We will have to combine our modern know-how with ancient ways. Many of you who have never been on a farm must learn quickly. Every person alive in this state has a direct stake in what we do next, how we live next, and if we live at all."

Colfax County Sheriff's Office. Schuyler, Nebraska -- Noon Friday March 30, 1984

The parking stalls around the Sheriff's office looked like a scene from Nebraska past. Horses tied up and parked in the stalls. Vehicle usage was limited to official uses. Horsepower comes from the horse.

Every surviving farmer in Colfax county was meeting, along with deputies and some of the regional Nebraska Combined Forces (NCF) staff.

On a chalkboard, the Sheriff had a number written large in the middle of the board -- 13,628

"That's our count boys," the Sheriff said. "And I plan on getting at least 99% of that number in our fields tomorrow. We'll get help from Norfolk and from some of the construction boys with heavy equipment. Dana will have the parts and the fuel..But mainly, we are going to run on people power."

The county extension official spoke, holding up a pamplet. "These were sent to every farm in Nebraska early in February. These are the planting guidelines. Our first mission is decontamination of the soil. To do that, we must remove about 3 to 5 inches off the top soil. We'll be bringing the trucks through the haul it away."

"The top 3-5 inches?" One farmer said. "Hell, that's the best soil. How the hell are we gonna grow something?"

"And do you realize how much manpower we'll need? How the hell can we get this moving. I can't do 100 acres by myself and contain the waste."

The Sheriff held up a hand to the growing static of angry voices. "Buddy, that's where that big number comes in. You will each get a group of refugees. You will house them and they'll work."

"Hell, I have enough people at my farm as is, " Rick moaned.

"HELL NO! I don't want any damn refugees! Keep those people in the camps!"

The Sheriff yelled back. "You really want to do all this by yourself? We can't afford to wait. Besides, we need to start getting these refugees in some more normal surroundings. It'll lower the disease risk."

"We are looking at moving some people into the schools, but that is still temporary," the Mayor said. "There is talk of building happening in Columbus and Norfolk, but that's a few months off. Right now our focus is centered around planting, recycling and keeping ourselves safe."

"Mr. Mayor, that's another thing to talk about," Ed said. "I'm hearing some things through the radio chatter. There's been more attacks over between Albion and Norfolk. I've heard there's problems in Fremont. I've heard rumors that Columbus is unstable. I've had to shoot at people trying to steal from the farm. I'm concerned that some people are going to take advantage of all this farmwork to try and disrupt us."

The Sheriff looked at Ed. "I've heard those things, too. But Major Stillman assures us that the Combined Forces are mobilzed."

An NCF Liutenant added in, "We will also embed some NCF troops into the work crews. We are doing this statewide, just in case certain criminal elements try to work their way into the flow of workers. We've already had threats to vital reconstruction efforts elsewhere in the state. We do not wants threats here."

A makeshift campsite east of Hershey, Nebraska -- same time

Major Piotr Yevgenyvich Bonchenko, Voenno-Vozdushnye Sily Sovetskaya Soyuza. Pripyat, Ukraine.

Captain Gregori Georgievich Armatev, Voenno-Vozdushnye Sily Sovetskaya Soyuza. Orel, RSFSR

Stárshiy práporshchik Anatoli Gennadiyevich Duzlinaya, Voenno-Vozdushnye Sily Sovetskaya Soyuza. Batumi, Georgian SSR

"How are you feeling, Anatoli," Piotr said, kneeling next to his comrade.

"I am much better, sir," he answered. "I can keep food down now."

"Sir, I get worried every time you go into town. What if you are caught. Of us three, you are the only one who can speak English well enough."

"You keep studying and help Anatoli, captain," the Major said firmly. "It is my duty to put myself in harms way for the crew. Our job is to stay alive, learn as much as we can and get us back to our motherland."

"Is there anything...to return to?" Anatoli said. "If the Americans didn't hit Batumi, the Chinese probably did..or the Turks or even the Iranians for all I know."

Anatoli had a quick thought of his hometown. Of warm days on the coast of the Black Sea.

"Orel's probably gone as well," Gregori lamented. "What about you, Major?"

Major Bonchenko looked around. The desolate lands of West Central Nebraska looked much like his home in the Ukraine.

"Captain, my town was incinerated I'm sure. I'm from a place called Pripyat, a small town. Americans or British probably had a bomb targeted for the nuclear facility outside the town."

"Comrades," The Major continued. "I've learned of something that can help us. These people here are organizing to plant crops. They are creating their own kolhozy. They are sending many people out into the lands to farm."

Gregori perked up, "Do you think they'll send soldiers, too?"

"If they do, we'll have a chance to reach our equipment and get it out of the plane," The Major answered. "But, I'm thinking our best plan is to blend in. We will go into the lands and farm. Learn more, perhaps even get a vehicle and make our ways to were we could get radio equipment, maybe find another plane. I've heard more rumors. I overheard two of their soldier talking. Soviet forces have made an offensive north of here."

"What?" Anatoli said suddenly. "Our troops...Here."

"It's a rumor," the Major said. "But if we have Soviet forces over here, even small, it gives us a chance to get home."

"Home," Gregori whispered.

CAP Colfax County Beechcraft Bonanza "Wendolyn" -- in flight 1:00pm Central Daylight Time

The only thing you could hear is the hum of the engines. Nobody was speaking.

Cadet Captain Tina Wecker was at the controls. Flying slightly ahead of fellow Cadet Captain Justin Gallus, piloting the other Bonaza, dubbed the "Marjorie".

Before they left, North Platte...Tina got a telegram from Kearney. This one came from the state commander himself.

Cadet Captain Wecker -- BEECHCRAFT BOB IS AWAKE. INFECTION STILL CRITICAL. HE IS VERY PROUD OF YOU AS AM I AND ALL OF THE CIVIL AIR PATROL. THE REMEDY IS IN PRODUCTION AND GETTING OUT TO AS MANY AS WE CAN.

YOU AND YOUR FELLOW CADETS HAVE DONE GOOD. TELL CADET ROCHELLE THAT HE WILL RECEIVE SPECIAL COMMENDATION FOR BRAVERY BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY FOR HIS ACTIONS AT KEARNEY STATE. ANYBODY CAN TAKE A LIFE, NOT JUST ANYBODY CAN SAVE ONE. HIS ACTIONS SAVED SEVERAL.

CONTINUE YOUR MISSION. CAP HIGH COMMAND WILL MEET YOU IN KEARNEY.

WELL DONE, CAPTAIN -- COMMANDER GROATHOUSE

Tina looked at Chip. He hadn't said anything in a day.

She had little patience for the little boy before, but she noticed him at the radio. Eye stairing straight ahead. Listening, yet focused elsewhere.

Through her tough exterior she felt his pain. Three years ago, she felt that same pain.

A car accident just outside of Waverly near the Interstate. The family station wagon suffered a blowout and was out of control. It collided head on with the semitrailer truck. Her father, mother and older brother were killed. By a miracle, Tina survived.

Tina's closest relatives were in Howells. She moved from city life in Lincoln to her aunt Rosalee and uncle Bertrum in Howells. The only saving grace from what she called "The Disaster of Her Social Life" was getting the chance to pursue her other passion -- flight.

Tina met Beechcraft Bob when he was volunteering at her school in Howells. She had begun ground school when she was in Lincoln.
She was all knees and elbow as a lanky, intense, tomboyish 12 year old.

She was soloing within 3 months under Bob's teaching. She was really good within 6 months.

One year to the day that she lost her parents, Tina Wecker had her pilot's license and her commission in the Civil Air Patrol.

Chip Rochelle manned his radio. Searching the frequencies while taking short listens to the Radio Nebraska frequency. The afternoon "Dave Wingert Show" was on.

Hello Nebraska, we all hit the fields..and no, not spring football. We all have to plant some crops.
"Do you have a green thumb, Dave?" Won't everybody? Well its an important time, so everybody wear your overalls, keep the fallout dust off of you and help plant some crops...because your stomach will growl like a bear this winter if you don't

Seriously, the next song goes out to a special ol' man. A hero in this state...and to all those working hard to get us out from under....Beechcraft Bob...You're the biggest part of us all...here on the Wingert Show on Radio Nebraska..

(Sunrise)

There's a new sun arisin'
(In your eyes) I can see a new horizon
(Realize) That will keep me realizin'
You're the biggest part of me

(Stay the night) Need your lovin' here beside me
(Shine the light) Need you close enough to guide me (For all my life) I've been hopin' you would find me You're the biggest part of me

Chip allowed himself to smile a little. Still very saddened by what he saw in North Platte. Still frightened by what he saw that night in Kearney. Chip's emotions were on a hair-trigger...All these kids were.

Every kid in Nebraska was....

Five months ago, Chip Rochelle's biggest worry was winning a football game

Four weeks ago, Chip Rochelle's biggest worry was making sure the shelter wasn't taking in rads.

Four days ago, Chip Rochelle's biggest worry was seeing his crush with a gun to her head.

Somewhere along Interstate 80 -- same time.

The volunteers look up at the planes overhead, taking a quick break from their task. Other peak into the various abandoned vehicles. Surprisingly, many of them start up. Once again, the theory of EMP giving way to the reality, very few cars were affected by it, especially if you are outside the major blast zones.

The Vehicular Reclaimation Project (VRP) is in it's third week, and more manpower has been apply to it. Much of it involves volunteers from the varied small town garages, and surviving mechanics, many of whom worked in the sprawling car dealerships, or wreched in the works depots for the police and fire departments.

33% of Omaha's former public works staff evacuated with the many of the official organs of the former city government. It was enough skilled workers to make the task easier that quixotic, but still very daunting.

They began with the heavy vehicles. Semitrailers that could still run were driven to the nearest available town. At each exit along Interstate 80, automotive "boneyards" were set up near each of the hub towns.

Interstate 80 wasn't near as crammed as it could have been. The Governor's order to close Interstate 80 and force drivers to leave the major artery in the hours before the missile war began were crucial. More of the traffic congestion was on the side highways. Most people were able to make it to a town, park the car off the road and seek shelter. In the weeks after the attacks, however a fair number of these cars ended up...,shall we say, appropriated by other sources.

Once a vehicle is bought to the hub town, a decision is made. Do you keep the vehicle and press it into some sort of emergency service, or do you strip the vehicle for parts?

They mainly try to salvage the trucks and vans with zeal. Anything that can carry a lot of people is something worth saving in full.

Cars tend to be more case-by-case. Many cars are stripped for the parts and the metal. A part can always be used and reused. The metal can be recycled, smelted and perhaps build a structure, fix a working vehicle, or be used to make ammunition (a very common use).

In any case, cars and trucks would be loaded into car carriers and taken away.

Some of the more enterprising sorts would take a certain vehicle and figure out a way to keep it together and move it away...OR catalog the parts, smuggle them out and rebuild the car.

The VRP was growing into a piece of what becoming the new economy of post-attack Nebraska, if not post-attack America.

Even with the official "scrip" system which set an exchange and rationing system for food, barter was the common coin of this realm. Work meant food and medicine. Critical goods meant even more. It was the way business was done between people, between towns, and even within the control points.

VRP Works Depot 312 -- near Hastings, Nebraska -- 2:00pm

"I want a rations increase for my crew, I want greater access to BLUE BUNNY and BLACK ANGUS goods for my town, especially for the manpower and work..and I want dispersal control of this works depot
!" the implements dealer said.

"Now Bill, be reasonable here. We are in a state of emergency, this isn't some negotiation," the FEMA emergency commissioner said. "You have the biggest lot of surplus farm implements and biggest crew of mechanics for three counties. You have the organization. We need your help. You have an obligation to your state and your country."

"I also have an obligation to my family and my workers," the dealer said. "Wood River hasn't received aid shipments it was due to receive. Many of the towns got shorted for Grand Island."

"To be fair, Grand Island has taken in a number of refugees. Grand Island has ballooned from 35,000 to dang near 300,000. It's another Omaha."

"Yeah," the dealer said. "And its turning arrogant and snooty like Omaha, too. Meanwhile Wood River, Doniphan, Verdigre...all the smaller towns are being shorted. You folks have to cough up what you owe."

.." You've contracted me to help with salvage on this stretch of I-80. You are using my people to get implements ready for planting. You are getting my gasohol at well below market value. I've played ball, and I'll remind you that I've given two sons to my country. I've paid a price. I'd like a return on what I've put in."

"Getting compensation is one thing, but demanding rations per person well above state average?," the FEMA man said, "I hope you aren't thinking of black marketeering. I warn you, there are penalties.."

"Spare me," the dealer said. "I happened to know of many of the troops and officials doing the same thing..But I guess it's okay when the government acts under the table, huh?"

"I will remind you that everybody is under hardship.."

"Really?" Bill said cynically.

The FEMA official left in a huff. "I will take your concerns up with the emergency committee."

"Yeah, you do that."

Bill's foreman entered the small hut as the official left. "Boss, you really think its a good idea to hack off those feds?"

"The pencil pushers are not my worry," Bill said.

"But they have guns, sir. They have an army."

"So do we, hoss," Bill said. "We have guns, and we have a fair gripe. I just want you all to get what you need, even if we have to fight for it. I'd rather negotiate first."

"You see hoss, there is no money anymore. Money means nothing, but there's still a lot of things of value. Food, medicine, milk, water. They have value...and so do all the nuts and bolts in this growing damn junkyard."

Bill looked out at the expanse of cars lined up neatly under a cloudy grayish sky.

"This is my wallet, hoss. This is a new way of business, and I know how to do business one way or the other."

A ranch near Rexburg, Idaho -- 1:30pm Mountain Daylight Time

Four semitrailers sit imposingly on a driveway. Men and women scurry to load them. Rifles slung and ready.

Crates, many crates are place into the refrigerated trailers.

"Sir, we should be ready to pull out in an hour. Maybe less," a young rifleman said to his superior.

"That is good," the leader said. "Soon we will be out of here and head east."

"Sir, are you sure about this?" His lieutenant asked. "Why risk exposure to the fallout or being exposed to the government?"

The leader stayed calm. "Whatever that is trying to develop in Walla Walla may already know we're around. If they don't know they soon will. It's a race. Who pulls the parts together. Them or us."

"What about this person you want us to meet in...where are we going?"

"We are heading east," the leader said tersely. "You will understand when we arrive."

"So we are going east through two fallout zones for a mystery?"

"No," the leader said. "For a destiny."

The leader walked inside a brick structure. There was a radio set inside with a single person. The leader handed the person a 3x5 card. "Radio ops...send morse coded message exactly as you see it on this card. The receiver will know what it is."

Nebraska White Man's Front Compound -- 20 miles east of Wayne, Nebraska -- 30 minutes later..

"Sir!" One of the soldier said. "A message for you."

Tyler Tyles looked at the refugees who are now training. Since retrieving the Front's leader a few weeks ago, the front has grown to numbers well past what they had before the nuclear attacks. The compound is a sprawling farm, and now over 1,000 people are camping here. Most are refugees looking for food and a place to live.

Very few of these refugees have a clue of what the front really is, not yet..But the hungrym and the desperate don't ask questions when they are hungry and desperate. The indoctrination process is done slowly.

The indoctrination process means nothing to Tyler Tyles, except power ..Even a man of no belief like Tyles will feign belief for power.

He walked into the radio room where he heard the staccato of morse code. He recognized the patterns instantly. He smiled as he saw the relay operator write down what was transmitted.

THUNDERBOLT. THUNDERBOLT. THUNDERBOLT. 14 WORDS. BOLD STRIKE IS COMING TO YOU. THUNDERBOLT. THUNDERBOLT THUNDERBOLT. BOLD STRIKE IS COMING TO YOU. HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY.

Tyles folded the message. "Thank you ops."
"14 Words, Sir."

Tyles replied the salute and left with his aide-de-camp, Merle.

"You seem happy, boss," Merle said. "Good news?"

"Very," Tyles said. "The pieces are in motion, Merle."

A listening post on the Washington-Idaho border -- same time

BABY EAGLE. TARGET IS HEADING EAST. WILL STAY IN SIGHTS. SIX IN CONVOY. -- BABY EAGLE OUT.

Columbia, Washington -- 2:00pm Pacific Daylight Time

"Who is BABY EAGLE," Cheryl Brewster asked.

CIA Director Robert Gates scowled as he read the short message.

"BABY EAGLE, is an undercover agent we placed in this organization in Idaho in late 1982. He's been tracking the movements of this group and this one man, since. He was in the room when he met Tyler Tyles."

"Why is this man so important?"

"He used to work in the U.S. Army. Biological weapons research. He also has an ambition to be Grand Wizard."

"But he's isolated. No communications. Probably scared and starving like most of the country," his aide answered.

"If it was only that simple," Gates continued. "They are on the move. Probably headed to wherever Tyles is. Somewhere in Nebraska. Damn it! If it wasn't for this mess in California we could've moved on him now."

"Who says they'll even make it there, sir. Idaho to Nebraska? That's through at least 10 primary targets. They'll be walking dead before they get there."

Gates sighed, "People like these are vermin, Cheryl. Vermin grow strong in cesspools, and since February 21st, most of this world became a cesspool. I wouldn't bet against these people getting to where they want to go."

"We need to communicate with OPENING. The storm is coming his way."

to be continued.

Last edited:
Excellent, as always. A lot of people may not like forced work, and this could be trouble- but desperate times call for desperate measures.

How long till the fallout radionucleides dissipate? What are the plans for using human/animal waste or decomposing plant matter as fertilizer? (Compost trenches might be a good idea, if you're planning to next year.)

One problem with using human waste ("nightsoil") as a fertilizer is that unlike animal waste ALL of the bacteria &/or viruses in it are human adapted and fecal contamination of soil/food products with human waste way more likely to spread serious diseases than using animal manure. There are processes to render human waste/municipal sewage suitable for use as a fertilizer, however in this situation the technology to do so is not readily available. In fact such plants may not have existed at all at that time in Nebraska, and if they did were likely in proximity to large cities (AKA targets).

As far as the radionuclides, it varies a lot. Some have relatively short half lives, others very long. And, of course, it depends upon whether they are alpha, beta, or gamma emitters as to the exposure risk externally (and also to some extent internally). Those nuclides which might be concentrated in plants, and are used in human metabolism (I-131 for example) represent the greatest risk as small doses in the soil get concentrated in plants and further concentrated in the body.

As far as "forced labor" goes, in a situation like this its no work=no eat. And, believe it or not, it is much better psychologically for the refugees to be doing something than sitting around in camps doing nothing. WW2 POWs were report that being locked up with nothing to do/boredom was often a major problem (of course this depended on your rank & who captured you). BTW almost anyone can do productive work - you don't have to be in the fields. Craftsmen can be used of course, "home economy" like sewing/knitting etc can be used to stretch the supply of goods which are no longer replaceable/disposable, grunt work not to physical around camps such as hospital orderly, cooking/KP, child care etc. Only the truly infirm or severely ill need be excused...there will be plenty of USEFUL work to be done.

Can we call Tina the Iron Woobie and get on with it?

OTOH, if Tina's family hadn't died, they might have been in Lincoln, and who knows if they would still be alive. Maybe it was better for Tina's family that they died three years earlier.

Turner Gill's family lived in Arlington, which would have been a target (if the Carswell, Fort Worth, and Dallas strikes hadn't done enough damage to it already). Palestine looks like it will avoid the fallout.

One problem with using human waste ("nightsoil") as a fertilizer is that unlike animal waste ALL of the bacteria &/or viruses in it are human adapted and fecal contamination of soil/food products with human waste way more likely to spread serious diseases than using animal manure. .....

I remember twenty years ago my father explaining to us why the Chinese weren't big on salads.

The Soviets will be caught eventually.

It's good to know that there's an undercover agent among the unsavory band of Tyler's friends.

Keep it up, Chip!:)