Agricola's Folly- The Tale of a Roman Ireland

forget

Banned
Abhakhazia well done for pulling this TL out of the little known mists of time.
Be interested to see how much the roman development of Irland stimulates the economies of Wales and Cornwell.
And yes its good to be on board.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Abhakhazia well done for pulling this TL out of the little known mists of time.
Be interested to see how much the roman development of Irland stimulates the economies of Wales and Cornwell.
And yes its good to be on board.

Thanks and welcome to the board. You are the first ever person to spell my username right on the first shot. :cool:

Abhakhazia

Banned
A Glimpse to the Future

We must pause our story a bit to look foward.

Woden Eddmundson of the tribe of the Frisii stood outside the wrecked basilica of the town on the Cymberland's [1] west shore facing the bleak ocean wind. His nephew, Gummund, stood slashing a tree to bits with his sword.

"Don't do that," Woden complained, "It makes a terrible noise and dulls you're sword. If we want Cymberland to remain in the hands of the Friesmann we need all the sharp sword and sharp men that we have."

Gummund sighed "Why are you so afraid of the Hibernians, uncle? The spend to much time looking at books and muttering about their God in that awful smooth language of theirs to make proper enemies." He rolled his eyes. He was too young to understand what had happened when the Frisii invaded Cymberland and Briggerland [2] to the south.

"I am worried, boy," Woden admitted, "Because the Hibernians are Romans, and Romans are not the slaves that they are today, but around the time you were born, the Romans were a formidable people, with a mighty army under their boots."

Just then, from the top of the old Basilica, the one named after the great opressor, as the General Agricola is known to the non-Roman Cymbermen, the Celts, a spotter screamed "Hibernmann! Hibernmann!" and sure enough a great fleet appeared on the horizon.

Next to him Gummund's mouth dropped. "These....these are the Hibernians. I thought they would be like the old Roman trading ships I saw, but these...."

"Are warships, Gummund," Woden said, finishing Gummund's thought, "just as tough as the ones we took over here. I know. A Hibernian fleet attacked the ship your father was on when he died. The Hibernians killed your father. Has Freja not told you this?"

Gummund slowly shook his head no. Now it was Woden's turn to sigh. Freja, his brother's wife, was not exactly good for much. She didn't know how to cook or weave when she married his brother. If fact, knowing his brother, he probably just married her for her wide hips, large breasts, golden hair and blue eyes. She was named after the goddess of beauty for a reason, and was still a good-looking woman even though she was almost 40. She had little brains though, and would probably not tell her son important information like that before he went off to fight the Hibernians.

Just as he finished his train of thought he hear a high-pitched scream, and then a lower one. The Hibernians had landed in the slave part of town, because all the Frisii women and boys that could make a screech that high were back into next town, in fear of the war.

As he raced towards the slave's district he heard the low, bubbling sound of a bloody death. Hearing stories of the Hibernians mad king, Julius III [3] or something, he had probably told them to kill everybody.

An arrow pierced him in the leg. He roared and pulled it out and raced to where it came from. He sliced his sword through the Hibernian, but the Hibernian sliced him back. The Hibernian screamed "Deu Victrictix!"[4] and ran off yelling.

The next few hours passed in a blur, as his mind slowly faded to black, he thought he saw a glimpse of red.....

Next thing he knew, he was cold. In a stream, somewhere in the highlands of Cymberland, far away from the battle.

It must be a dream, he thought.

A girl with shock red hair and bright blue eyes came up to him, she was a Celt, obviously. She spoke to him in stumbling Frisian German, saying "Friesmann had lost town, Hibernians have taken it. Advance over hills. Young man name Gummund told me to talk you away. He is preparing steak over fire. I help with bread." she walked away.

He looked to the west and sadly thought. It is only a matter of time now before the Hibernians have not just the Cymberland, but the whole of Britain.

* * * *​

Well, Woden isn't totally right. The Hibernian King, Julius III, did order the reconquest of Britain during the beginning of his reign, but only Cymberland, Nordumbria, and Briggerland were reconquered. Hibernian Britain was consitantly attacked by the ousted Frisii, as well as their Angle, Saxon and Juttic allies. Under the reigns of Romulus II and Julius IV, the Hibernians took many prisoners, so many in fact the modern Hibernian word for slave "Seax" comes from the ancient Hibernian "Seaxonim" or Saxon.
Eventually under the Hibernian King Trajan V, Brittania was too much of a strain on the national coffers, so the army had to withdrawl.

Next update will be back to the second century, where we will explore the reign of Trajan's nephew, Hadrian.
-------------​

[1] OTL Wales, based of Latin "Cambria" and Welsh "Cymru"
[2] OTL Wessex and Cornwall, extending from Bristol to Land's End. Based of Latin name "Brigantes"
[3] Not really mad. A bit like Justinian, but on a much smaller scale.
[4] Means "God Give Us Victory"in Ancient Hibernian.

Last edited: