Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

Wow. This post is excellent. People hearing about the news, lots of CAP involvement, the mobilization of Nebraska, the harsh (and justified) interrogation of a neo-Nazi...and the word from the VOA...

Only minor quibble- CAP might get in trouble with some over the use of precious fuel. OTOH, they were responding in the aftermath of a major operation and one or more of their own was in danger.

And, this is likely before CAP had CISM* teams to talk to people after a major incident. BTW, how many CAP Chaplains are there? (Our chaplains have similar requirements to the military to become a chaplain.)

*Critical Incident Stress Management.

You have questions. I have answers

Another addition of "You have questions, I have answers," Sponsored by Avro/Hawker Siddley/British Aerospace. Proud constructors of XM 594 :)

Only minor quibble- CAP might get in trouble with some over the use of precious fuel. OTOH, they were responding in the aftermath of a major operation and one or more of their own was in danger.

Nebraska's Civil Air Patrol squadrons are formally a part of the Nebraska Combined Forces (NCF) acting as the Civil Defense Unit Air Auxiliary.

CAP Units are near the top of the fuel allocation lists. Firstly, because you friendly neighborhood CAP units are often the people in charge of maintaining the fuel stores for your local emergency government. They monitor the use of the motor fuel and their own aviation fuel. With the passage of the State Emergency Funding Act which put up the foundation for GOLDENROD (1), Nebraska's airports immediately took inventory of every drop of Avgas in the state and stated rationing accordingly. The state's Civil Air Patrol prepared in kind. Much of this began in January 1984. The idea was two fold. 1. If war breaks out. Emergency evacuation of aircraft and the fuel was commence. 2. If there is no war. The state has an up-to-date knowledge of their assets and CAP's readiness is enhanced for a potential natural disaster. Either way state prepardness was improved.

CAP's function is very important at this time, because of the flexibility. The safest and quickest way to get vital assets from one place to another is by Cessna 172. Roads are still unstable. Interstate 80 still needs a lot of clean up work (which has been stymied by sickness and lawlessness). Many of the secondary highways go through smaller towns that have barricaded themselves to avoid people coming in/and or the organized road gangs that are out there. The best way to deal with pirates and bandits is fly over them.

The Air National Guard is limited because they are trying to save as much jet fuel as they can, and painfully trying to find and refine more. Nebraska was a piece of Jurassic Park 170 million years ago, thus the state has little bit of oil in it. Dr. Yarelian has the geology on it, and theres a couple of drilling wells put in place pre-war to get it. But, as luck would have it, the lions share is out on those exclusion zones to the West.

Colfax County's CAP is largely a youth auxiliary that has pressed into full service. Many in Colfax County see Beechcraft Bob as a little eccentric and a recluse. And that's partially true, especially since his loving wife passed away. But Bob is also a man who know where's a lot of necessary things are, in part from his military background and part from his general rural survivalist bearing. Whether he
lives or dies, he has groomed a core group of people to carry things forward and that is something the emergency committee in Schuyler, and the CAP leaders in Nebraska understand and respect. That's why Kearney's airport is a Cessna parking lot right now.

And, this is likely before CAP had CISM* teams to talk to people after a major incident.

There are a couple of chaplains in the CAP around, but most support is person-to-person. Trained personnel in many specialities are hard to come by.

In this world the adage "I'd rather be lucky than good" truly applies. Hastings, for example, was that lucky to have two doctors of psychology in their town with specialization in children. For the young CAP cadets those people will come into play in a large way.

I also want to send a shout-out to the newest author in the saga.
Panzerfraust 150's Protect and Survive: We Serve The Soviet Union https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=245764

This has come out the blocks fast and hard and I like this story! :)

It will give the Soviet view of the 1984 War. It is also partially based in Nebraska and coming soon Land Of Flatwater will delve into the backstory and the aftermath of a piece of post-attack legend. The full aftermath of the "Second Orange Bowl" of 1984.

1. GOLDENROD -- Codename of Nebraska Emergency Operations Plan 1984. It is named after the state flower.

Last edited:
Updates ahead

"We really need to see Chip and Jill married at some point down the line, say a decade or so .

There's a lot of obstacles in the way of that miracle happening...

But there are some possible marriages to come...But you know that got me to thinking why would anybody want to get married in the middle of all this? Courting...during the apocalypse?

This week...Updates are coming...and I'm working on an idea.

What would the "Voice Of America" sound like?

I'm also working on a Flatwater podcast, centered around FAQs about the TL or anything else anyone would want to know about LoF, and want to ask.

Our lines are open. :)

for the Voice of America I'd love to suggest Hulk Hogan but given the way 1984 has gone he wouldn't be that huge yet. I can't wait for the update and I'll be interested in the podcast.

Ultimately it's going to depend on what the government in charge wants it to be. Would this government

a) try to emulate commercial radio, with Top 40 music, news, talk shows, etc.

b) try to emulate public radio, which if memory serves was a mixture of Morning Edition/All Things Considered plus classical, jazz and bluegrass (at least where I lived) (see http://www.seatacradio.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/KUOW_Sked_Aug_1983_10001.jpg)

c) the VOA format at the time. In 1985, VOA Europe "was created as a special service in English that was relayed via satellite to AM, FM, and cable affiliates throughout Europe. With a contemporary format including live disc jockeys, the network presented top musical hits as well as VOA news and features of local interest (such as "EuroFax") 24 hours a day."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America

As far as personnel, being that "Columbia" is in Washington State, the most likely on-air candidates are going to come from the Pacific Northwest. Of course being that Ogarkov ended up becoming Soviet Premier butterflies could have been set into motion that guaranteed anyone from Casey Kasem to Dick Enberg to Johnny Fever himself (Howard Hesseman) winding up in Walla Walla on Exchange Day :)

As far as personnel, being that "Columbia" is in Washington State, the most likely on-air candidates are going to come from the Pacific Northwest. Of course being that Ogarkov ended up becoming Soviet Premier butterflies could have been set into motion that guaranteed anyone from Casey Kasem to Dick Enberg to Johnny Fever himself (Howard Hesseman) winding up in Walla Walla on Exchange Day :)

Or....James Earl Jones?

Ultimately it's going to depend on what the government in charge wants it to be. Would this government

a) try to emulate commercial radio, with Top 40 music, news, talk shows, etc.

b) try to emulate public radio, which if memory serves was a mixture of Morning Edition/All Things Considered plus classical, jazz and bluegrass (at least where I lived) (see http://www.seatacradio.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/KUOW_Sked_Aug_1983_10001.jpg)

c) the VOA format at the time. In 1985, VOA Europe "was created as a special service in English that was relayed via satellite to AM, FM, and cable affiliates throughout Europe. With a contemporary format including live disc jockeys, the network presented top musical hits as well as VOA news and features of local interest (such as "EuroFax") 24 hours a day."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America

We have at least two NPR people (Karl Kassel and Ira Glass) who are on VOA. I hope Daniel Schorr made it out. His journalistic experience would be excellent, and he doesn't deserve to get nuked. (Tip of the hat to anyone who gets the reference...)

why would anybody want to get married in the middle of all this? Courting...during the Apokalypse

Three quotes from different Songs come to my mind here:

"Romantic Minds Call it Love; we rather say - here you can Watch hormones do their Jobs" (Die Ärzte, M&F)

"[...]Watch your Life slide out of View
And you Dance, and Drink, and screw,
Because there's nothing Else to do"
(Pulp, Common People)

"All You Need Is Love"
(can't remember, but it is sort of a catchy tune)

why would anybody want to get married in the middle of all this? Courting...during the apocalypse?

Because people will be listening and looking for empathy and comfort in a world that's been shattered and ripped to shreds. Because people will be looking to answer the question, How can the destructive power of evil, hate, violence, pain and suffering be diminished and maybe even dissipated? The answer to this question comes as men and women give witness to and embrace love.

On a lighter note, I offer up two "recent" (recent to those in the mid '80s) songs concerning love (There are others, perhaps even better ones, but these came to mind first):

The Rose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6okRuOLc8
Love Is Like Oxygen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmlKjO4juCo

John Farson

Banned
Because people will be listening and looking for empathy and comfort in a world that's been shattered and ripped to shreds. Because people will be looking to answer the question, How can the destructive power of evil, hate, violence, pain and suffering be diminished and maybe even dissipated? The answer to this question comes as men and women give witness to and embrace love.

On a lighter note, I offer up two "recent" (recent to those in the mid '80s) songs concerning love (There are others, perhaps even better ones, but these came to mind first):

The Rose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6okRuOLc8
Love Is Like Oxygen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmlKjO4juCo

Or because people will keep copulating, fornicating, making the beast with two backs, doing it like they do in the Discovery Channel (though there won't ever be a Discovery Channel TTL) even after a nuclear war.

If people can breed like rabbits in the worst hellholes of the world, they'll keep breeding in this situation as well. Of course, figuring out how to support the resulting extra mouths is a whole different matter, "babies don't work" being the worst result.

for the Voice of America I'd love to suggest Hulk Hogan but given the way 1984 has gone he wouldn't be that huge yet. I can't wait for the update and I'll be interested in the podcast.

Hulk was big in 1984.

I remember. :)

(Remember, this is two years after his cameo in Rocky III. "Why are they carrying him?")

(Edit: Okay, here's the scene in ENGLISH... It's pretty funny. My wife does not find it funny. But I did.)

Last edited:
Or because people will keep copulating, fornicating, making the beast with two backs, doing it like they do in the Discovery Channel (though there won't ever be a Discovery Channel TTL) even after a nuclear war.

If people can breed like rabbits in the worst hellholes of the world, they'll keep breeding in this situation as well. Of course, figuring out how to support the resulting extra mouths is a whole different matter, "babies don't work" being the worst result.

Yes, there's that too. However, I was speaking about relationships, not hook-ups.

Yes, there's that too. However, I was speaking about relationships, not hook-ups.

For 90% of women, it is always the former, not the latter.

On Chip's generation: these boys and girls have to grow up in a flash. They are flying, shooting, working, killing.
They will very soon feel entitled to things adults enjoy. Alcohol, cigarettes and .... will not wait until they are 16,18 or 21. Given the circumstances and perils the survive in, the majority of them will have an overwhelming urge to live life to the fullest.

Land Of Flatwater: Chip Meets World Part 9: North Platte

To: Kay Orr. Resources Executive, NCEG
Fr: Jon Kolbo. City Administrator, North Platte Emergency Council
RE: Staging for Op Plan 10W40

CONFIRMED 100 VOLUNTEERS FOR 10W40. MANY FROM WELL MANAGEMENT CONCERNS IN THE AREA. THEY HAVE BEGUN TO HEAD SOUTH FOR TARGET AREA BACKED BY NCF 35th PLANSMEN GROUP.

BAILEY WORKS RUNNING AT 85% BEST YET. FABRICATORS WORKING ON TRACTOR PRIORITY. LOCAL IMPLEMENT COMPANIES HAVE GOOD ROLLING STOCK.

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE OTHER MANUFACTORIES?

AND WHAT IS THE STATUS OF OUR REQUEST WITH BLACK ANGUS WEST?

North Platte, Nebraska. A railroad town along the west central plains. One of the early birthplaces of the Transcontinental Railroad. The country home of the Union Pacific.

For almost forty years, its population hovered around 25,000. A steady beacon. A gateway to the Panhandle, and the rest of the west.

That was until February 1984.

From the late fall of 1983, through the last week of peace in Nebraska, North Platte was serious about preparation. The mayor of the town and the city administrator got the varied organs of city government working from the very minute the mayor returned from a November 1983 secret meeting of the various community chief executives and the governor of the state.

North Platte had a structure in place even before GOLDENROD was fully enacted. It was the smart move and the influx of refugees, evacuating troops and law enforcement confirmed the wisdom of that structure.

By the time missiles roared from the plains in hate on February 21, the population of North Platte ballooned to over 85,000. Many of those fleeing the coming devastation of the Panhandle, Cheyenne and the Colorado Front Range.

North Platte was not spared from a mushroom cloud. A Soviet bomber destroyed a hydroelectric facility 16 miles southeast of the city. It was low-yield pin-point strike, but it disrupted North Platte, and cost the lives of hundreds, including brave, but futile attempts by local firefighters to minimize the damage.

North Platte's structure, through fallout, logistical problems, sickness and banditry stayed intact.

The town emergency council acts in a manner similar to a British-style regional command. The varied units of the Nebraska Combined Forces maintain a controlled, constant vigil. From the streets of the town, to the western frontier 35 miles west. Troops stationed on the fringe of some of worst damage to the state. 70 miles past this border lies a no-mans land over 160 nuclear strikes. Soviet strategic targeting of Minuteman silos. A destruction that basically emptied Nebraska western fifth. Most the Panhandle is depopulated.

In the northern edge of the town lies the Union Pacific Bailey Rail Yards. The world's largest rail yard is now a group of repair bays and mini-factories. The factories in a group of 4 shifts and often runs for days at a time, only curtailed by power shortages and maintenance work on the survive hydroelectric generators and coal plants.

Bailey is a command point for Nebraska's group effort to stockpile, recycle and reproduce any critical assets. Cars are dismantled and parts rebuilt to keep essential vehicles going. Farm implements are reconditioned from the start of planting. Munitions and weapons are reconditioned or manufactured. This is one of a limited number of areas where this work is done.

Manpower comes from the line of refugee centers and camps along the northern fringe, in combination with the numbers of skilled specialized workers identified and placed in the local hotels across the area.

Such organization is critical now. The big need is for oil workers. Wildcatters, if you will. The mission is dubbed "10W40". The state of Nebraska has a supply of oil. Fields lie in in the extreme southwest corner of the state and in the southern Panhandle. The fields of the Panhandle are within a fallout zone still too hot for any human exploration and will probably be so for years.

Nearly 100 miles south is an area where radiation patterns will allow for limited exploration and repair. Over 500 oil wells and an estimated 10-15 million barrel lie there. It's not Saudi Arabia, but every drop would be precious..and 2 motor coaches carrying over 100 wildcatters, and a semitrailer full of tools and materials are linking up with a number of other workers down US-83. A small army was heading south.

Another army was already encamped to the north. Hunter groups of national guard, police, and sheriffs continued the manhunt. On February 21st, an Nebraska Air National Guard pilot shot down an attacking Soviet bomber. Three member of the crew of Tu-22M3 ejected and survived. Three wanted men on the run.

Another group was massing at the main medical center. A group of school buses, and a number of patients lining up outside an overfilled hospital.

Great Plains Regional Medical Center/FEMA NEMA Medical Command-- North Platte, Nebraska -- 10:25am Central Standard Time. Thursday March 29, 1984

There were loading supplies into a van when the saw the school buses. A lot of hundreds of people herded on to them.

Chip looked over at them.

He looked in the distance.

Did he really see them?

Are they really here?

He walked along the parking lot.

He did see them.

"Grandfather John! Gram!" He yelled.

"Gram!!!! Grandfather John!!" He yelled again.

"Cadet!" Cadet Captain Wecker snapped. "GET BACK HERE!!"

Chip didn't listen.

One of the guards stopped him. "Son, this is restricted," he said firmly. "GO AWAY!"

Chip didn't listen.. "Grandfather John! Gram!"

Tina and other cadet began to chase.

The faint young voice made the old woman's head turn. She looked sickly...But she knew the voice.

"GRAM!!!"

She turned...She thought she was seeing things..."Chip?"

The old man also looked. He was suffering. He was sickly. "Grandson..." He moaned softly.

"Chip!!" The woman said. "What are you doing here?"

"MOVE!" A voice said firmly.."Get on the bus!"

The guard restrained him. "You cannot go here! IT IS RESTRICTED!"

The old woman said tried to reach for him, "I love you, Chip."

"LEMME GO! LEMME GO!" Chip screamed. "LET ME SEE MY GRANDMOTHER!! WHERE ARE YOU TAKING HER???"

"LEMME GO! LEMME GO!!!"

His grandfather tried to resist as they forced him into the bus. "I want to see my grandson.," he said.

By this time, all the cadet where there, as was Nurse Trofholz. "Cadet Rochelle, YOU CANNOT RUN OFF LIKE THAT!"

Chip was frantic. "That's my grandmother and grandfather!" He pleaded. "WHERE ARE THEY TAKING THEM?"

"Chip, it'll be okay," Cyndi said. "They are taking them to another place. It's important, they'll get better care. Triage care."

A nurse and a doctor from the hospital is with them. The doctor said under his breath. "He's young enough to where he doesn't know what that means."

"NOOOO! THEY'LL KILL THEM!!!!!"

"Chip, calm down they won't kill them," Cyndi pleaded.

He looked at nurse Trofholz in tears and anger. "YOU SAID TRIAGE! TRIAGE MEANS THEY'LL BE KILLED! THEY WILL BE LEFT TO DIE!"

"Attention Cadet!" Tina snapped again. Chip wasn't listening.

Nurse Trofholz and Jill both hugged him as the buses loaded up and pulled away. Chip wanted to turn in look. Both tried to stop him, but he wouldn't let them..

The buses turned out of the lot and onto a street. Then onto a another...and out of sight.

"GET HIM OUT OF HERE!" Cadet Captain Wecker snapped. "When you pull yourself together, you are in trouble!"

Chip glared at her through tears. He was numb to anything Tina Wecker had to say at that moment.

Nurse Trofholz whispered to the other nurse. "Where are they going?"

The other nurse was in tears as well, she pulled Cyndi away from the commotion.

"I shouldn't tell you this," she swallowed hard.

"They are all terminal radiation patients. I know those two. They were caught at Lake McConaughy. The fallout was extreme there. I'm surprised they lived this long."

to be continued.

Last edited: