Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tells me I have to upgrade my browser... :(

Anyhoo, cross-posting from the current map contest. Played around with one of the color schemes here...

In this TL, Louis XIV succeeded in his plans for a dynastic union between France and Spain, creating in the 18th century the Franco-Spanish Empire. The Spanish Netherlands were swallowed, and Holland reduced to a mere satellite state. Unfortunately, this had it's drawbacks: as Carlos and Felipe knew, running an empire of such a scale is expensive, and it tended to make Europe unite against them.

Although the Brits were initially crushed on land and tied on sea, (and later lost Ireland) their basic advantages in terms of organization, finance, etc. remained, and they rallied. Although the constant threat of Franco-Spanish-Dutch fleets required the UK to keep a lot more of its forces in home waters, they were able to hold onto Bengal in India, and generally make a nuisance of themselves elsewhere. The Spanish were always restless partners.

The last major conflict (some damn thing in the Caribbean) turned into a costly and frustrating stalemate, the Franco-Spanish Empire facing off with a Saxo-Polish, Austrian, British and even Danish alliance with the Dutch in revolt again. The Russians, which the French were confident could be persuaded into attacking Poland, instead took advantage of eveyone elses distraction to beat up on the Ottomans and wrest Wallachia-Moldova from their sphere on influence.

Facing financial crisis, the Bourbon monarchy called for new emergency taxes, the Spanish got frisky, the Estates General were called...and things went pear-shaped.

A young man with a proper line of descent was close enough to get to a port while the getting was good, and now safely ensconsed in Canada calls himself Louis XVII and calls for the liberation of the home country. Thanks to most of the navy going after him to America with the execution of Louis XVI, the revolution has not been exported forcibly - as yet - (and the British haven't taken over the French Caribbean-yet) and most French-speaking colonial regimes have either proclaimed loyalty to the King or are sitting and waiting for what may come. A pro-Paris republican revolution has broke out in Tejas, and there is fear it may spread to Louisiana.

Although the other European nations are getting their schadenfreude on, the Revolution, if a little less guillotine-happy than OTL, is still quite scary, and the Austrians are trying to gin up a coaltion to put an end to it (and possibly put someone other than the guy in Montreal on the throne: there are a few other potential Bourbon pretenders). The Brits seem a bit too busy resolving a few wee colonial disputes, and the Russians are looking southwards towards Constantinople again...

Bruce

Last edited:
And here is the map. Comments, queries, errors spotted?

Bruce

LEtatceMoi.png

And now, a flag-based map of Europe as of 2012. Because I was tired, I didn't do Russia (which includes Belarus), Turkey, or the Caucasus states.

europe.png

Status
Not open for further replies.