Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

@Chuck Mandus -- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was incinerated by the opening direct Soviet attacks on priority economic targets on 21 February 1984.

Soviet Nuclear Rocket forces used three confirmed devices on the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area to neutralize the steel productions area of the city.

BOTH major cities in Pennsylvania have been destroyed. The government from Cleveland have received scattered reports from the state. There are rumors that the state capital of Harrisburg was also hit by a lower-yield device. There are unconfirmed reports that multiple factions are claiming to be an emergency state government and have gathered at Penn State University.

TO: Executive Committee, Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government
FR: Governor J. Robert Kerrey
RE: Recent Contact

At 1809 hours 26 March 1984, ALPHA received confirmation of a radio transmission from national guard forces in the state of Minnesota. According to those reports, the surviving area around Minneapolis-St. Paul was the target of a nerve gas attack.
According to the transmission the attack was initiated by Soviet forces.

We have no confirmation on Soviet forces in North America outside this transmission. However, after consultation with Brigadier General Griswold/CINC-NEBCONFORCE, stinger-armed NCF teams will be placed at installations effective immediately, and all NCF air combat units will be at a heightened state of alert.

There are no plans for any increased military action at this point. Current patrol schedules will be maintained due to materiel and fuel usage.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT TO BE DISCLOSED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC!!!!!
WE ARE NO OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION OF THE INFORMATION!!!!!

We have received confirmation on a legitimacy of a "gathering order" sent out by an emergency federal government based in "Columbia".

U.S. Air Force personnel detained near Lincoln, upon hearing a recording of the transmission say the gathering order is ACTUAL. In concurrence with the Nebraska Combined Forces, I order that said personnel are RELEASED effective immediately. The ranking officer of the Bomber Recovery Unit confirms that their orders are to proceed to the point of origin of the "gathering order", which they state is near Walla Walla, Washington.

In kind, we have sent a message forward to be delivered to an acting President of the United States or similar civilian executive authority.

A farm near Ravenna, Nebraska 8:30pm

A father looks on his little girl, coughing, sick. She has that sickness they've been talking about on the radio. Many kids here have it.

"Ted," his wife pleaded as her husband loaded a rifle. "This is not the way to this."

"They say they have a way to fix this at the college in Kearney," he said. "Damn Government's gonna hold us out, just like they did with food."

Two of his neighbors were there, too. They were loading rifles. In a barn were 3 other kids. Sickened, feeble, possibly dying.

"We're hungry and sick, while those goddamned people in that Emergency Government are sitting high. Half of 'em working from the damn crazy people out over there."

The wife tried to step his husband and 3 other men. It wouldn't work.

Four men. One pickup trick.

"Daddy where are you going," said a feeble young voice.

He looked at the little girl trying to keep from sobbing.

"Daddy just need to take care of something," he said. "I will be back, I promise."

" The put on respirator masks and heading into the spring dusk with Winchester slung on each shoulder."

to be continued.

In all probability, if Governor Casey moved up here, I could see them taking over South Halls on campus, plus anything left in the Army Reserve center (about 1 mile from Beaver Stadium), would have been transfered to campus. I think the small experimental nuclear reactor was up and running then.

The nearest field that can take the Bomber Recovery Team and any Buffs with them is Grant County IAP, near Moses Lake, WA

FEMA Air Force and Army Corp of Engineers did enhancement work on Walla Walla Regional Airport prior to the attacks and post-attack. Those enhancement were completed in full prior to the GOLF-OSCAR 26 March 1984. The result is Ronald Reagan Airfield/FEMA National Emergency HQ.

The runways now can planes up to a C-5 Galaxy, which our BRT in Lincoln is in at the moment.

Grant County is still under command as a forward base. A number of aircraft have also been rotated there, including a number B-52S

Kearney State College -- 11:00pm

The four men in pickups were joined by ten others. They parked the pickups a grossy knoll at the edge of town. CDUs were out. It was curfew now.

In the distance they could hear a radio...faintly transmitting.

Atmopheric report for Buffalo county shows the radiation level for at least four day will stay without 'safe' limit meaning exposure times up to 4-8 hours..We caution however that if don't need to be out, don't...Also, you Buffalo County emergency administration remind you to practice good hygiene. Your hygiene is the best civil defense...

Inside an empty classroom, the cadets unrolled sleeping bags. It had a been a long first day. A long day of running, fetching and helping. The first batches of antibiotic syrup was done. In the morning some of would be shipping to two neighbor towns, were factories with raw material was synthesize thousands more doses.

Chip's mind churned..How would he sleep tonight? Away from the farm. Away from mom and dad.. Away from home...

He reached into his bag. To put his toothpaste and tooth brush away. He was feeling a little refreshed...He had a shower maybe 30 minutes ago. There was running hot water here, perhaps one of the few places that did...It felt good to have that.

Even Captain Tina seems a little nicer...

Chip reached inside the bag...A felt something soft...He was surprised with what he found.....His stuffed panda....He wasn't going to take him...But his dad had a different idea...he packed it...

Chip smiled for a second.."Better not let Tina see this." he thought.

to be continued

Last edited:
ivfl has a question

Welcome to "Ask your Emergency Government" sponsored by the firm of Hunt, Drake, Carling and Skelton.

"Out of curiosity what kind of emergency laws have been or will be enacted regarding punishment for various offenses?

With more on that we have Brigadier General Allan Griswold CINC-NEBCOMFORCE..

"Under the Emergency Operations Plan of 1984, a.k.a. GOLDENROD, the primary judicial authority lies within the individual counties, cities and town. As of March 26, 1984, we estimate that perhaps 50-60 of Nebraska's 93 counties have surviving authorities. Within those areas, the local law enforcement and judicial entities would execute law as they saw fit in cooperation with the national guard under the umbrella of the Nebraska Combined forces."

Penalties would be made within local units. They would set the bar, many of them would use the state's statue as a guideline, with various due to the unusual landscape we find ourselves in.

"I will not kid you, misdemeanor offenses not longer apply now. These are desperate times. They call for desperate measures. During curfews, the orders are shoot on sight. If you steal emergency material, you will be shot. If you kill someone for emergency material, you will be shot. Steal food, we won't need to shoot you, average citizens will do it for us."

"As the weather and radiation situation improves, we will have a serious task ahead. With cleanup, planting and industrial recovery plans to get underway in April, Nebraska has no time or patience for antisocial behavior. Those who disrespect our laws, will feel the business end of those laws"

Last edited:

John Farson

Banned
Welcome to "Ask your Emergency Government" sponsored by the firm of Hunt, Drake, Carling and Skelton.

With more on that we have Brigadier General Allan Grisworld CINC-NEBCOMFORCE..

What I'd expect.

In this kind of situation there's no room for a debate about the pros and cons of capital punishment.

I couldn't help but smile at packing the panda. People will need all the comfort they can get in times like these. I still have stuffed animals at home- I haven't taken any with me on trips for CAP, but if it's a disaster, I just may bring some- for me or others.

personal note- before I went to the first Gulf War my wife gave me a small teddy bear with a yellow ribbon around his neck..to keep me safe. He went with me everywhere in the gulf -Saudi & Kuwait - (had his own zip lock bag for NBC suit), and with me on every reserve weekend, AT, and deployment until I retired including USMC Mountain Warfare School, Korea, etc...

In all probability, if Governor Casey moved up here, I could see them taking over South Halls on campus, plus anything left in the Army Reserve center (about 1 mile from Beaver Stadium), would have been transfered to campus. I think the small experimental nuclear reactor was up and running then.

@Chipperback - Thanks, just wanted to know the status in case if I write viginette.

IIRC, We still had Governor Thornburg then, Casey won in 1986. I wonder if Beaver Valley 1 and 2 made it?

I've picked up KDKA at night on a car radio, and I'm in Nebraska. So...yeah. ;)

I've heard callers from there on our talkshows, so yeah, KDKA does get out far. KDKA's tower and transmitter is in Allison Park, PA, it would be possible the nukes could have got it. Back in the 1930's, the original tower was in Saxonburg, PA, if it was still there, it most likely could have escaped damage. Probably th only clear channel 50 kW station that is still broadcasting in our general area would be WWVA in Wheeling on 1170 kc. Since Cleveland survived, I'd expect WWWE (WTAM now) to still be on the air at 1100 kc.

I couldn't help but smile at packing the panda. People will need all the comfort they can get in times like these. I still have stuffed animals at home- I haven't taken any with me on trips for CAP, but if it's a disaster, I just may bring some- for me or others.

I never admited this in public before, but I'm the same way with Matchbox cars. ;) :D

"By executive order of the Governor of the State of Nebraska, classes at all schools, college and universities in the state are suspended effective Noon, Tuesday February 14, 1984, until further notice. Classes will resume once the present crisis is abated." -- Governor Bob Kerrey to the Nebraska Unicameral.

Of course, that would only apply to public schools and universities. Privately run schools could do whatever they wanted. State authorities have no say over what private schools do.

Jimmy, a true point however every private school went with the order and suspended classes, and no challenges to the order were mounted. Partly out of preparedness. Even private schools were equipped with public fallout shelters (a majority of the private schools are ran by the two major church diocese/synods in state Catholic and Lutheran)

And partly out of common sense. With the suspension order, parents were pulling kids out of school anyway, communities were inacting emergency procedures. The major population centers were evacuating. Any argument of state vs. private wasnt discussed nearly as much as the big issue, "Whacha gonna do if the bombs come?"

Expect a massive set of updates tomorrow. I got the muse and a lot of stories to tell. And this week, Duck and Cover CONTINUES!

Audience participation time -- Updates this week who do you want to hear from? Also have an idea for a branch of the P&S saga? By all means...write!

"I don't wanna hurt nobody, just give us the medicine and I'll give the little girl back unharmed..."

Last edited:
Missouri Disaster Center

When doing training at Camp Crowder (Neosho, MO) in the late 80's, the Missouri Nat'l Guard (Engineer Brigade) was rebuilding an old control center used to test Saturn V engines into a Command Center for the State of Missouri. Since MO is next door.

Neosho-Diamond Grove, MO....The home of George Washington Carver
From the looks of things its may have a chance to survive..

It is in between target areas in Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas..
Working on the update right now.

Land Of Flatwater: Chip Meets World Part 6: Growing Pains.

Kearney State College -- 12:20am Central Standard Time. Tuesday March 27, 1984

The chemistry building is set near a edge on the south end of campus. Only dull lights ring the campus, small watt bulbs to preserve limited electricity. The CDUs never saw the camouflage shapes hidden in the brush.

The never saw the guide picking a lock to a loading dock door.

Six keeping watch. Eight inside.

"Did you really need to bring those guns ," The guide, a student at the college said. "You said there would be no guns."

"Kelly, we've been through this," An armed young
Man. My mom and brother are sick. I have to help them. If the emergency people won't help us peaceably, we have force them, too.

"Be careful where you point those guns ," she said. "Please be careful there are children here."

Two fire team of four at opposite ends. Few words spoken now. Hand signals.

The reached the floor of the labs. Inside where the centrifuges and cold storage. Inside the refrigerator were vials of the precious medicine. A beacon of hope..and an object of desires of desperate men.

The guard and the door never saw the man come out of the darkness. He never saw the hand over his mouth.

-click-

"Do not scream, buddy. I do not want to hurt you," The voice said. "Forgive me for this, but I need that medicine you got in there."

The entire hall was covered...

Eight men with guns.

But they never saw...a kid stepping out of bathroom...a flashlight.

Keen young eyes seeing a light on in the lab. Quiet footsteps.

One loan brown-haired boy in a dark hallway. His flashlight strayed on of of men hiding in a duct above.

The man in the duct reacted a second late.

"Shit!" he thought . "Damn CDU. Who let him
In."

The man knocked three times in the vent. It was heard thought the floor.

One man left his post on the stairway.

Other kids were in a classroom sleeping, or trying to.

Cadet Captain Tina was aroused by the faint sound from the duct. She noticed...."Justin isn't in his sleeping bag."

Down the room. Chip is clutching his stuffed panda. He's asleep but restless.

His dream state unsettled. The same dreams. Dreams of thing taken away. Images of Omaha, whole. Of things one used to do. Gone forever.

Justin nears the door. An armed man fumbles through the darkness. Justin turns off the flash light.

He didn't see the man lose a bead on the light.

He didn't see the man until he fell into Justin.

The rifle fell off a shoulder

BANG!

Justin heard the rifle and screamed "HELP!!!!!!"

He frantically blew a shrill whistle. In case of a crash on a flight it can be used to summon rescuers.

"Dammit!!!" One of men yelled inside the labs.

Outside CDUsconverged on the chemistry building.

Rifle fire pierced the night.

"Any CDUs here stay the hell back!"

The guard/hostage kicked one of his captors and grabbed his rifle.

"Drop the gun asshole," the guard said.

"Mister I have no problem with you," the armed man said. "We need this medicine!"

"It will be distributed by the town council. Drop the gun and the vails.."

Two more of the intruders charged into the room. One of them was the man in the duct.

Both came in shooting, the guard dove behind a table.

Two of the men outside were wounded by CDUs.

The is outpost one at the college. Armed intrusion at the chemistry building. Shots fired! Send Help!

At the Town Hall, a group of CDUs rustled from sleep. They grabbed their protective gear and guns. They raced toward a parked van and climbed in.

Beechcraft Bob was awake, he had his Air Force issue carbine next to his bed. He heard the commotion and cocked the pistol.

The classroom door was busted open. One kid was awake...

She screamed for dear life...

"Eeeeek!!!!"

The first man snatched her up by the arm. The second man tried stop him. "She a little girl, Don."

"Shit up you little shit or I'll hurt you the man screamed through a black ski mask."

Chip bolted from sleep and into noise and confusion, the other kids left also woke up.

Chip rolled away from a flashlight. The man couldn't see Chip well.

"Look kid I'll find you and I'll hurt you. Chip crawled under a desk. The second man shined the light. A third man busted in and trained his gun on the other two kids."

Chip's brain was racing. Remembering what Rick taught him about closed-quarter combat. "Use your size and your skin to your advantage in the dark."

Chip's left hand felt cold. He had the sidearm his dad gave him.

The slight slaps and squeaks along the floor echo in the dark room. It disoriented the man trying to find him.

The little boy's eyes saw the other man with his hand wrapped around a tiny neck and a gun pointed at a young head.

"Hurry up and find that other kid."

Chip found a pencil on the floor.. He skipped it across the floor away from him. The man pursued the the pencil.

One of the other cadets tripped him up, distracting the third man.

Chip crawled toward the dark shapes.. He could make out the smaller.

"Jill!!!!!" he thought.

Chip crawled rapidly. He saw the other man. He saw his leg.

He saw a slither of exposed pale, white skin right underneath the arm and hand holding a gun to Jill's head.

Jill is crying and screaming. "Ow, you are hurting meeeeee!"

Beechcraft Bob heard Jill's cry through the commotion.

Chip was focused the slither of skin..

He felt his mouth open.

He imagined two insicors getting longer..,

One leap and.....

"OW!!!!! Sonofabitch!!!!! YOU LITTLE BASTARD!!!!"

The man clutched his ankle as Jill slipped from his grasp

"RUN JILL!!!!! RUN!!!!!"

The man looked down as Chip locked his jaws down on the ankle. He reached his skinny arms toward the other leg..

"YOU LITTLE FUCKIN' PICKANINNY!!!!"

The fired a gun at the floor he couldn't get a good aim as Chip was taking his balance away..

Beechcraft Bob added to his problem.. Busting into the room and tackling the man...

The rolled on a heap on the floor.

Jill raced out of the room. Chip rolled over and saw her race from the door. He grabbed the small 9mm he had with him and tried to catch her..

The third man, snatched Jill by the collar...

"HELP!!!!!"

"SHUT UP YOU LITTLE!!!"

BANG! BANG!

Two shots rang through the corridor..

The CDUs had fought their way to the lab floor.

"Civilian Defense Unit...PUT THE GUN DOWN!!!!"

The third man was wounded, and hurting. A bullet took a chunk from his calf. He was dragging the leg but hanging onto Jill who was struggling to get away.

"Listen," the man said haltingly. "I do not want to hurt this kid. "I don't wanna hurt nobody, just give us the medicine and I'll give the little girl back unharmed..."

Chip hid in a dark corner near a classroom doorway. "LET HER GO! OR I WILL FIRE AGAIN!"

Chip was shaking. He didn't believe he could fire his gun. It was an automatic response, just like biting a leg. No thought. Just reaction.

The second man came out with hands raised. "Joe, GIVE UP!" He wailed. There's a man wounded in here and Don's out cold!"

The other men in the lab were wounded and battered. The CDUs forced them to surrender.

The third man let Jill go. Jill let out a frightened sob as she ran into the arms of one of the CDUs. Chip was a mix of tears, fear and anger.

Cadet Captain Tina, hiding in a second room, came out into the hallway. Blinded by one of the CDUs flashlights. "CAP Cadet, I'm a friendly!" She yelled.

"OH MY GOD. HELP ME!!!" She heard Justin scream. "OUR COMMANDER'S DOWN! HELP ME!!!!"

The lead CDU was first in the room, with a group of fellow troopers. He saw two bodies scattered near a window. The first man was sprawled on the floor, trying to come to. The second man was bleeding, barely breathing, but still alive

A CDU medic immediately turned the body over. Beechcraft Bob had taken two shots in the stomach, but managed to put a knee in the attacker's chest and head, putting him down.

Cadet Commander Tina looked in horror. Chip was shaking violently. A second medic got to work as other CDU took the third man into custody.

Chip's eye stayed on the first man, struggling to come to.

He snatched the flashlight from one of the CDU. "KID! STAY BACK!!!"

He felt another bullet in the chamber of his weapon. He saw the first man reaching for his weapon.

Chip stepped on his hand and held the gun to the man's temple. "TURNER!!!!!! STOP THAT KID!!!"

The CDU turned to grab Chip. Two others grabbed hum as well..

Chip sobbed and sobbed.

The man smiled with an evil grin as her stared down the barrel of the gun. Chip wanted to fire. Oh, did he want to.

"Goddamned little coon!!" He spat at Chip. "Little black bastard."

Chip felt a hand on his shoulder. "Drop the gun, little brother." the calm voice said.

"Kill him." Chip sobbed.

"We got him, little man," the CDU said calmly.

"He killed Bob,"

"Nobody's dead, son," the voice said.. "Give me the gun, little brother."

Two other CDUs converged on the first man, as Chip gave the gun away. He was shaking and crying.

The first man, and the other attackers were led out.

Beechcraft Bob was carried out quickly on a stretcher. A national guard truck was waiting. Sirens pierced the cold night as the raced toward the medical center.

Cadet Captain Tina was on the flatbed worried and crying. Nurse Trofholz went with her

Justin and the other cadets huddled in the CDU van all of them surrounding Jill, also crying and scared.

Chip was the last to leave the building, teary eyed, scared and angry. Angry at the venom spat at him by a bad man. Angry at seeing what the man did to Beechcraft Bob, and what he could have done to Jill.

"It's okay, little man," the CDU said calmly. "It's going to be alright."

The little boy was so caught up in the fear of the moment that he didn't realized who was walking with him, talking him down from the emotional brink.

A scared little boy walking with his hero.

Good Samaritan Hospital/FEMA-NEMA-NCEG Control Point Medical Base-- Kearney, Nebraska..3:30am Tuesday March 27, 1984

"He is stable Captain Wecker," the doctor said to Tina. "We'll know more on the morning if he can make it through the rest of the night."

The doctor handed a blood-stained envelope to Tina. "We found this on his person."

Tina saw the envelope. A simple plain white envelope with her name on it.

Captain Tina Wecker,

If you are reading this, then a lot of things have gone badly wrong. I am either dead or incapacitated. If I am dead, your orders are to carry on with the mission. You reclaim my body AFTER the mission is completed. Bury me at the plot in Leigh next to my wife if possible.
If I am too injured to continue with you, you are to continue mission priorities as outlined. YOU ARE THE COMMANDING OFFICER ON DECK! Do not fret about being 16 or being a girl. You were born to lead, Tina. Believe in yourself and trust yourself. If our nation is to survive and rebuild, it will need people like you.
I ask you one favor. If the opportunity presents itself, I want you to make contact with my daughter Wendolyn. She may have survived this war. Her duty was a part of national continuity. A card attached to this letter as the frequencies for the national EBS channels. One of these may lead to some type of continuity center. If she is there, let her know that her father loves her very much.

Do not grieve for me if I should die. If that is the case, then I'm in the arms of my Marjorie again and I am happy.

You have a mission, Miss Wecker. Move like you have a purpose.

-- "Beechcraft Bob"--

To be continued.

Last edited:
I almost cried. This was moving. Ordinarily, CAP would not be armed- but these are not ordinary times. Chip did good- he was able take down a baddie, but not kill him. (I'm reminded of a comment from my squadron commander, "Anyone can kill someone. Not anyone can save a life.") I hope Beechcraft Bob can make it.
What will happen with the bandits? Interrogation, quick trial, a chance to make peace with God and a long drop?

I felt worry for Chip and Jill.
I almost cried. This was moving. Ordinarily, CAP would not be armed- but these are not ordinary times. Chip did good- he was able take down a baddie, but not kill him. (I'm reminded of a comment from my squadron commander, "Anyone can kill someone. Not anyone can save a life.")
I agree. :)
I hope Beechcraft Bob can make it.
So do I.
What will happen with the bandits? Interrogation, quick trial, a chance to make peace with God and a long drop?
In these times, they will be lucky if they get forced labour (if they can prove they aimed to treat their families and whoever judges them is lenient), but chances are that they may get the death penalty (and at least one of the intruders may have really dangerous beliefs).

Land Of Flatwater: Law and Order: After The Missiles Came

Base ALPHA/Executive Council Chambers -- Geneva, Nebraska -- Tuesday March 27, 1984 -- 7:15am Central Standard Time

Governor Kerrey was the last to arrive. Wide awake and pensive. Ready for another day that seemed to run together with the previous day.

Glimmers of hope have come in the last few days. The possibility of the news from outside the state. The hope of a reforming national government. Plans to start planting crops. A breakthrough in the "Grand Island Flu" cases that have affected thousands of people in the towns and the refugee camps.

Overnight, those glimmers dimmed in a continuing surge in post-attack violence.

"Good morning" The Governor said. "Allan, give me the threat board. It's bad isn't it?"

Briagdier General Allan Griswold wasted no time. "Up front. We had a skermish at Kearney State early this morning....A group of armed men attempted to storm the chemistry building on campus."

"Isn't that where Dr. Suhr is...The medication to stop this GI thing??" Resources Executive Orr asked.

"Yes," Griswold replied. "We got a telegraph message from Suhr. She's okay. Got bruised up when she tried to fight back...According to the CDU on the ground. Eight men tried to take the medication by force. Additional CDUs were called in..There were some casualties.."

Governor Kerrey looked at his military commander hard. "How many?"

"Two dead, both assailants...Three others wounded, one critically...The critical is a commander of a CAP outfit that flew supplies in."

The hush fell over the room.

"Its been a busy night," Griswold continued. "Another disturbance at the FEMA camp outside of Fremont. Another attack, once again by remants of those Snyder Lake idiots"

Dr. Benning perked up, "That's about eighth night in a row...Why aren't the NCF doing something about this?"

"Doctor they are trying as is the city controller. But Fremont has been unstable since the snowstorm..."

"Its getting more unstable because maybe some of your forces are working with the crazies. The reports of that are growing!"

"Those are unconfirmed doctor.." Griswold said hotly.

"Seems to me, if the persons attacked aren't white they stay unconfirmed," Benning said bitterly.

"You are out of line Doctor Benning," Griswold shotback.

The communications executive had a look that could burn through lead. "Am I?"

"How are these crazies getting access to the camps. They are supposed to be guarded. How come the camps in Fremont have been segregated?"

Griswold countered, "It was temporary measure to get to the bottom of what caused the food riot there before the snowstorm. From reports I've gotten those camps have be reintegrated."

"Bullshit," Benning said flatly. "They haven't been."

"Where are you getting this information" the Lieutenant Governor asked.

Benning slyly kept his information close. "I've had some contact with official channels."

"Why haven't they shared the information?" the Lt. Gov answered.

"Why don't you ask Brigadier General Griswold."

Griswold grinded his teeth. He's heard the rumors before, but he didn't think it could be real. "This is the type of shit we don't need," He thought.

Griswold tried to continue. "We also have reports of another attack at Albion and an attempt on the BLACK ANGUS facility at Central City."

Agriculture Executive Newell was livid. "Again?? Somebody at the BLACK ANGUS facility is letting these bastards in."

Governor Kerrey saw another trying day ahead. "Got any good news General?"

"A couple of pieces," Griswold stated. "Per your orders, we are letting the Bomber Recovery Team and the B-52 crews go today. They plan to report to whatever FEMA continuity site they have out west. And with your message when they arrive, sir."

"Governor," scientific executive Yarelian said. "Why not send emissaries from our government there. If we have a federal government, shouldn't we send some people to check things out."

Governor Kerrey answered. "Not yet. We don't know who's at the other end of the line. They may not be who they say they are. They may even be Soviet for all we know. We send a message. They reply to it....What's the other piece of good news?"

"The NCF garrison in Kearney has the surviving bastards that hit Kearney State in custody. According to them, one of those men is of high interest...Special branch interest..."

Lincoln Municipal Airport -- Lincoln, Nebraska -- 9:20 am Central Standard Time.

"Major Denton, sorry we had to hold you guys like this," Frank McGonigal said as the Bomber Recovery Unit began to file out of the ready room toward the flightline.

"What's to be sorry about," Denton said. "I'll be sorry to miss those good Nebraska steaks. A lot of things have gone to hell, but at least you have good beef."

"Where the hell do you find a place to keep good cows?" Another member of the recovery crew asked. "Seems any cattle still left would be irradiated."

"The State Government has them hiding underground," Frank answered. "A few places around the state. They started moving cows in semitrucks before the war started. They did the same with dairy cows."

"The rumors are they did that where I'm from down in Texas," one of the bomber pilots said.

"Where in Texas," Agent Clayton said.

"Around College Station," the pilot said. "I hear rumors that Texas A&M survived."

Clayton smiled. "We've gotten some radio transmission from down there. We think the Texas Government has located to that area."

Frank handed Major Denton an envelope. "This is a message from the Governor. If you happen to find the ranking civilian authority please give them to them."

"Will do," Major Denton. "We also have a couple gifts for you."

Denton pointed at a palette in the hangar.

"We had an extra crate of Sidewinder missiles and some Stinger modules with rockets. Consider this our way of saying thanks for the hospitality and the spare parts. Those are becoming scarce you know."

"Tell me about it," Clayton said.

"So what happens to you two guys?"

McGonigal smiled. "I'm headed back to Hastings. Gotta see my little girl."

Clayton quietly said. "Back to Seward, trying to keep the local field office running for the FBI and FEMA."

Clayton handed Denton a sealed card. "Should there be CIA continuity. Hand that person this. They'll know how to decode it."

"Shaken, not stirred right Mr. Bond?" Denton wisecracked.

"Quite," Clayton answered.

The two agents stood on the tarmac as the varied crews enter their planes and taxied away. The C-5 Galaxy was the first to lift off. Within a minute the B-52s filed into line and then lifted into the skies to the west.

Clayton and Frank walked toward a smaller plane, a Cessna parked on the runway.

"Sirs," the Pilot said. "I'm Captain Cauble. Lancaster County Civil Air Patrol. I've been given orders to give you a ride to Hastings, and from there a...Clayton isn't it...You have a relay connection on to Kearney."

McGonigal raise his eyebrow. "Thought you were heading back to Seward."

Clayton looked at his partner. "A slight change in my orders...There was a situation overnight. Griswold wants to me to run an interrogation."

Good Samaritan Hospital/FEMA-NEMA-NCEG Control Point Medical Base-- Kearney, Nebraska -- same time

A worried group of kids sit in a waiting room. Beechcraft Bob is back in surgery, trying to get more of fragment of the two projectile bullets out of him.

The Cadets were planning to leave this afternoon, to continue with the mission as Bob instructed Cadet Captain Wecker to do. Those plans would be delayed. The local officers of the Nebraska Combined Forces and the Buffalo County Emergency Council wanted their statements on the incident.

In an empty room away, Chip was alone and silent. Still shaking from what happened hours before. His mind's eye replaying the events. The darkness in the classroom. Seeing the shadow of a gun barrel at the head of Jill. Thoughts of death. Thoughts of his family back in Schuyler.

His eyes had a shellshocked look. He was scared..anxious...He wanted to cry but couldn't. He was numb.

The slurs of the evil man who wanted to kill Jill replayed in his brain over and over.

"There you are..," Nurse Trofholz said as entered

Chip got into a defense crouch. "STAY AWAY!"

"Chip...IT'S ME...Cyndi!!!"

Just behind Cyndi was Dr. Kimmineau. During the commotion at Kearney State, Kimmineau was at the library, studying as much as he could. Look at radiation patterns, treatments, anything to learn how to prevent the next bug.

By the time he returned, the the gunfight between the CDUs and the armed bandits seeking the medicine was underway.

Since he's been trying to comfort the kids the best he knew. Kimmineau approached slowly. "Be still, little brave. Be still," His voice was calm soothing.

"So much fear in this one, Great Spirit," the doctor thought.

Kearney Town Hall -- same time.

The man sat in the chair. He was nervous and shaking. He had vomited when he saw the wounds and the blood from the man who was shot.

He was just a rural farmer. He liked to hunt and fish and loved his two sons. Both suffering from the "Grand Island Flu". He was desperate, like the rest. But he wasn't a killer and he knew it.

Only one of them was.

He had heard stories about what the NCF did to people. He had heard the radio. "All Nebraskans must do their part. We have no tolerance for those who don't."

A door opened in the tiny room. One man walked in.

"Hello," the affable man said. "Jerry isn't it?"

"Y-y-y-yes."

"I am Richard," the man said. "And I'll tell you..It doesn't look good. Bringing guns into a secure facility. Holding hostages. Trying to steal medicine. Assaulting CDUs..."

"I didn't assault anybody!" He whimpered. "I just needed medicine for my boys, and they had it here."

"Tut, tut, tut," Richard said. "I've heard it from everybody so far...Why not just wait for the authorities to release it?"

"I had heard they weren't.." He wailed. "What are they going to do me? I've never done anything illegal in my life.."

"Until now," Richard said in a drab tone. "What happens depends on how much you cooperate."

"I am cooperating,"

"No I mean really cooperate..." Richard said. "Starting with, who helped you on the inside?"

"I'm not the ring leader,"

"Well one of the others fingered you as the person who made the contact with somebody to help you all breach the perimeter. Who told you where the medicine was being made. Only the research team knew about it.."

Richard pulled out an Uzi submachine gun. "Where did you guys get these?"

The man was sweating. "I didn't carry it..I had my hunting gun. My Winchester!"

"Well three of you did...and seeing as how you made the contact with the person inside the campus, you might have gotten the weapons too."

The man protested louder. "I NEVER SEEN GUNS LIKE THAT.."

"Until now," the interrogator said blandly. "You know chum, you are very close to being a volunteer for reconstruction duty...You may even get your choice of areas."

"Reconstruction duty?"

"Yeah," Richard said. "And being a country boy like me...Maybe you've always wanted to see a big town. I got my chance for that..New York City...of course that probably no longer exists...But, I hear Omaha's pretty exciting."

"Omaha??" The man said.

"Yes, Omaha....Big city! Lots of things to see, do and rebuild..."

The man sweated more. The interrogator was quite urbane, chatty...you could even say he was charming. But underlying tone was biting at the man in the chair.

Post-attack Nebraska wasn't kind to criminals, even first offenders.

to be continued

Last edited: