Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much.... everything.

I'm going to have to go back and read it again, as I thought I'd kept the thread, only to miss the partition of Brandenburg, somehow. Comments to follow.

Part three: Warriors of the Cider Isle! From left to right, we have a Tjunini, a Kurnawal, and one of the native Palawa with his longbow of Tasmanian myrtle. The latter has his hair done up with red ochre, as some OTL Tasmanians apparently did and some Africans still do.

Again, clothing styles are conjectural; these guys are dressed slightly differently than both the mainlanders and each other. Given the differing origins of and longstanding animosity between the Tjunini and the Kurnawal, I figured they'd probably look pretty distinct from each other.

Is anyone else getting an ancient Mesopotamian/Near Eastern vibe from the Tjunini warrior?

Amazing work, both Jared and Kaiphranos ! :) I haven't read the TL in a long while, but summer's coming, so I'm sure I'll reread it from start to (current) finish.

Great pics Kai.

Agreed, he did a rather nice job. :D

Amazing work, both Jared and Kaiphranos ! :) I haven't read the TL in a long while, but summer's coming, so I'm sure I'll reread it from start to (current) finish.

Thanks!

Is anyone else getting an ancient Mesopotamian/Near Eastern vibe from the Tjunini warrior?

Given that the Near Eastern bronze age is one of my usual periods of history, that shouldn't be much of a surprise. :p The Tjunini was inspired as much by a picture of Dendra armor as by anything Mesopotamian, though--since I'm of the opinion that the Dendra armor was intended more for chariot-based fighters, and Aururia has no horses, I wanted something with greater mobility that looked like it could be walked around in.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Given that the Near Eastern bronze age is one of my usual periods of history, that shouldn't be much of a surprise. :p The Tjunini was inspired as much by a picture of Dendra armor as by anything Mesopotamian, though--since I'm of the opinion that the Dendra armor was intended more for chariot-based fighters, and Aururia has no horses, I wanted something with greater mobility that looked like it could be walked around in.
Do you plan on doing some pics of the scholars or priests?

Do you plan on doing some pics of the scholars or priests?

Maybe eventually? I have a pretty good idea of what the next three will be: a Junditmara briyuna, and then a Yadji soldier and a Yadji death warrior. Some non-combatants might be nice for people like the Nangu, who don't seem to do a whole lot of fighting.

Anyway, this will probably be my one contribution for today: a soldier of the Atjuntja. These guys get more of an in-depth description than most: conical iron helmet, knee-length iron scale armor attached to a garment going down to mid-calf, armed with axe and sword and carrying a large oval wooden shield. Atjunta are heavily bearded, but I figure a variety of beard styles might be present--this guy has his tied up in a sort of bundle, possibly to keep it from getting in the way, or catching on the scales. The item around his torso is an additional layer of leather armor that goes on over the scale; there are straps at the back to allow him to sling his axe while on the march. The obverse of the shield is not visible, but is probably painted with some sort of design common to the unit. An officer would be wearing a gold torque, and possibly a tunic of deeper blue or purple.

Atjuntja.png

While I agree that Bohemia will be even more Germanized ITTL because of greater population losses in this alt-Thirty Years' War, I would think that Pomerania and Silesia might develop in the exactly opposite direction.

In the time, peasants in both regions were still heavily (if not predominantly) Slavic-speaking, while nobles and burghers were of German descent or already Germanized, with state and church speaking only German or Latin.

As far as I know both Silesia save for Lower Silesia and Pomerania were pretty much germanised by 1632, though if the cities have been impacted more heavily than the countryside in terms of destructions, the balance might swing back towards the Slavs to an extent.

I do agree though that Sweden will be an interesting place, especially if they manage to form some form of United Kingdom of Scandinavia and to dominate the Baltic in the process. I could see migration of German folks towards Sweden proper or the coastal towns depending on how prosperous Sweden becomes and how favourable the impact from the new crops is. This could lead of Swedish becoming somewhat more germanised as a language.

What really interests me is the future of France TTL. We already know that it has had colonies in the American, with a French cultural presence remaining up to the present day.
If Lorraine becomes a barrier to eastwards expansions and is even somewhat germanised to boot, we could then have a very different France taking shape. Southern France also stands to gain an hell of a lot from the Aururian crop package. However, it is important to forget that the potato was not adopted en masse by French farmers until the late 18th century.

If France avoids Europeans wars and opts for overseas expansion instead, the country could look very different from OTL, possibly becoming a near clone to Britain in some respects.

As far as Mediterranean islands are concerned, we have been told that Sicily will gain a lot from the new crops. But what of Sardinia and even Corsica? It almost strikes me that yams and wattles could be an ideal plant for the mountains there, hugely raising the carrying potential of both islands.
Sicily has a population density of 200/km2 today. Might we see it inrease to something as high as 600km2 TLL? This Sicily would have 15 million inhabitants ...

As far as I know both Silesia save for Lower Silesia and Pomerania were pretty much germanised by 1632, though if the cities have been impacted more heavily than the countryside in terms of destructions, the balance might swing back towards the Slavs to an extent.
My sources seem to disagree on the language situation in early modern Pomerania: some claim that Slavic-speaking Pomeranians were few and far between as early as about 1530, while some again maintain that even in the age of Frederick the Great, the Prussian government was able to draft a lot of Slavic-speaking Pomeranians into the army and use their group loyalty to make a formidable fighting force from them.
If Lorraine becomes a barrier to eastwards expansions and is even somewhat germanised to boot,
Was not Lorraine very much Germanized even in OTL? They may have been patriotic French, but still, they were mostly German-speaking patriotic French. ITTL, they can become patriotic German-speaking Germans.
As far as Mediterranean islands are concerned, we have been told that Sicily will gain a lot from the new crops. But what of Sardinia and even Corsica? It almost strikes me that yams and wattles could be an ideal plant for the mountains there, hugely raising the carrying potential of both islands.
Sicily has a population density of 200/km2 today. Might we see it inrease to something as high as 600km2 TLL? This Sicily would have 15 million inhabitants ...
I think that modern Sicily supports such densities because of imports of foodstuffs from the continent. Without well-developed transport infrastructure, the Sicilians would have to grow most of their food on the island itself.

600 to 1,000 persons per sq km is a reasonable density for tropical rice-growing regions of the world today, with two or three crops per year, artificial fertilizers, electric-powered irrigation and all that. Sicily is probably too cold to produce more than one crop of most plants per year, and high productivity of Aururian crops in drylands may be not enough to allow for 600 to 1,000 per sq km population densities, without the benefits of modern agricultural techniques. 200 per sq km looks far more realistic, though. It will give early modern alt-Sicily something like our Sicily's population, at 5 million or so. It is a lot for the early modern Europe, putting Sicily (even without continental provinces of the kingdom) on par with England, at least in population numbers, if not in economic might.

I've been re-reading this timeline over the last couple of days, and got to wondering what some of the military equipment of the various Aururian civilizations looked like.

These look great...

Damn, Wittelsbach in Münster, Hohenzollern on the wrong side of Germany, Bavaria having a port on the Adriatic...
I'm sure it will have some interesting consequences further in the 17th century.:cool:

Yes, the map of Central Europe as we know it just got rewritten in all sorts of odd ways. As well as the ones you mention, Sweden having more non-Swedes than Swedes is going to have consequences downtime, as will Saxony turning into more of a power.

BTW, the Dutch-Spanish border looks like it is ~10km to the north of Antwerp, 10km to the south of Antwerp might be more useful for the Dutch:p

I agree that a Dutch Antwerp which actually includes Antwerp within its borders is probably a good thing.

While I haven't specified how much the Dutch push past Antwerp, probably about 10 or 20 km to the south is a likely final border.

And I, as an Antwerpener, just might be interested in a clarification of "Antwerp and its environs", since that map is a bit lacking in local detail.

As per above, I haven't worked out the exact border around Antwerp, but it basically means that the Dutch have control of both banks of the Scheldt downstream of Antwerp, and for a short distance upstream.

The Treaty of Hamburg, unlike the OTL Treaty of Munster, doesn't specify that the Scheldt is closed to navigation, either. So Antwerp may have some capacity to recover some of its previous trading success. On the other hand, the Spanish will still be able to claim tolls on any traffic going upriver on the Scheldt. Amsterdam won't be that glad of the trading competition, either. I'm not yet sure how that will work out in the long run.

Also, does the added, catholic, population mean that the Staats-Brabant + Antwerp becomes Nederlands Brabant with representation in the Staten-Generaal, or does it mean a larger Staats-Brabant or a Staats-Antwerpen, with the catholics not being quite happy as a result.

My initial thought was that there would be a larger Staats-Brabant, at least in the short term. Archdevil raised some other significant points, though, so I'll address this question in more detail below.

... wow, just wow.

It has shaken up European geo-politics, yes. :D As a general rule, I figured that the psychological shock of the Aururian plagues - second only to the Black Death in their toll - would make the surviving leaders more willing to take drastic action. Plus, of course, the near-collapse of the Austrian Habsburgs emboldened lots of leaders who thought that they could pick up some of the pieces.

Picking up the Hohenzollerns and placing them in Lorraine is even more drastic than what Stalin did to Poland at the end of WWII.

It is a major shift, but the sequence of events wasn't quite like taking Brandenburg and then giving the Hohoenzollerns Lorraine as compensation. The Hohenzollerns thought that they were getting Lorraine too. It's just that they had to flee there after Brandenburg was taken over en toto.

Just wiping Brandenburg off that map like that doesn't sound like 17th century European plitics, but on the other hand there were the partitions of Poland...

Wiping whole states off the map wasn't a common practice in seventeenth-century European politics, yes, but if anyone was going to do it, it was Sweden. See what they tried to do to Lithuania during the Second Northern War, for instance, ie take all of it. Their desire to take Brandenburg is only enhanced because they are following Gustavus Adolphus's last wishes, ie "build an empire in my name".

Part of the motivation of taking over Brandenburg was simple vengeance on the Hohenzollerns - Sweden, Saxony (and Denmark, too) were severely peeved at the switch which gave Ferdinand Charles the imperial dignity. But more importantly from Sweden's perspective, they wanted contiguous territory - unlike many princes within the Holy Roman Empire, connecting their territories mattered a lot.

GA had already seen the problems he had securing "transit rights" in Brandenburg during his lifetime, and didn't want any such barrier preventing the drive to acquire Bohemia. This wish was carried out after his death; although Sweden didn't end up with all of Bohemia, they did acquire Silesia, and needed to take a good chunk of Brandenburg in order to have a secure connection to Silesia.

Axel Oxenstierna, at least, understood Machiavelli's dictum of never doing an enemy a small injury. Since taking part of Brandenburg would create a permanent enemy out of the Hohenzollerns, and leave a perpetual threat to the Swedish link to Silesia, best to evict the Hohenzollerns entirely. From the Saxon side, the young John George II has both the impetuousity of youth, and the shock of the early death of his father, and was likewise willing to take such a severe step.

Going by the precedents of 's Hertogenbosch and Breda, which captures led to the transfer of their associated baronies, it would probably be the traditional marquisate of Antwerp that would be transferred.

That makes sense, though I'd like to track down exactly what the marquisate's borders were. I'd been picturing something that controlled both banks of the Scheldt, but that might get more interesting if the marquisate just had the east (north) bank of the river.

OTL, there was a proposal like this in 1651, during the Grote Vergadering, after William II died.

With a Stadtholder around at the time this proposal pops up, Holland´s position relative to the other provinces is much weakened and the measure most likely passes. The Stadtholders would profit greatly, as Lords of Breda they would be the premier noble in the States of Brabant and basically control Brabant´s votes in the Estates General, just as they did thanks to their position as the First Noble of Zealand.

This also sounds logical. As per above, for the first few years I expect Antwerp (or its margraviate) simply to be added to Staats-Brabant. That situation won't last, though, and given this OTL proposal, sooner or later there will be a Nederlands Brabant. Even if the OTL proposal is butterflied in itself, if Antwerp revives as a trading entrepot, then I expect that would eventually lead to representation in the Staten-Generaal.

I have to say, I find the juxtaposition of these quotes to be one of the most striking parts of this piece. Adds a touch of poignancy, sad music playing...

The two quotes about Bohemia were pretty much verbatim from OTL, by the way, although I made up a new name for the historian writing about the war. (No prizes for guessing who he's named after.)

...and then, smash cut to black.

Well, yes.

There are good reasons why I'd expect such a trend to appear in TTL even more than it appeared in OTL. I will eventually explore them when I return to the future of TTL's Europe, although I think that the next few updates should return to *Australia.

Try as I might, I cannot finish the update. Congrats Jared, you wonderful bastard.

Er, thanks. Can't finish because it's too long, or because trying to understand the Holy Roman Empire is enough to give any normal person a headache?

Mind you-there are people who say that just looking at a map of the Holy Roman Empire makes their eyes hurt. I just kind of go blurry on it. It's trying to follow the soap opera of the various dynasties that makes my head hurt!:eek:

I'm with you there. The main reason this post took so long to write was because I just couldn't figure out everything that was going on in the HRE in any sort of way that made sense.

It is beyond me at the moment to guess at the shaping up of the great nation-states that will presumably precipitate out of this dynastic morass. Especially bearing in mind, the two big Aurian plagues have done their terrible work--at least the first wave of it--in Europe. But soon the Aurian crops will start infiltrating. We've seen crops that can revolutionize both the north and the south of Europe.

Certainly there's going to be an interesting set of new nation-states that emerge - eventually - from this. The details of that are something I haven't even worked out, although I have a few ideas. Who can say for sure?

The Aururian plagues have gone through in a big wave, and from here there certainly won't be the same mass dying - although Marnitja will have recurrent epidemics every generation or two.

Aururian crops will start to have some effects soon, yes. One of the things I'm still trying to flesh out is how quick Europeans will be to take them up. Some New World crops took quite a while to get adopted there, even ones which are eminently suitable in yield or other purposes (come to that, even today there's some that aren't used as much as they could be).

In terms of where the Aururian crops will be of most use, it's important to note that there are a couple of crops which can be grown in northern Europe (murnong and cider gums, in particular), most are more suited to southern Europe. Bigger changes will follow there.

Meanwhile Sweden seems set up to be a big power on a nationalistic basis.

If Sweden can hold together, yes. Whether it will do so is an open question, although the same military advantages which it had in OTL should give it success for a couple of generations.

How exactly will the Swedes guarantee their ongoing access to their American colony in OTL-Maine?

To adapt a phrase from he of teddy bear fame, by speaking softly and keeping a big navy.

And, of course, by heavily fortifying Gothenburg.

And by the way, why is Bangor, which is some distance inland, the location of the major Swedish town there and not somewhere on the coast, presumably near or at OTL-Portland?

The core of *New Sweden, at least in the short term, is along the Penobscot River. The location of *Portland may yet be contested between New England and *New Sweden.

Along the Penobscot River, *New Sweden has two new outposts built. One is Fort Pentagouet (*Castine), recently bought from the English, and previously a bone of contention between France and England. The other is at the head of navigation of the Penobscot River, ie *Bangor, which is expected to become the centre of the fur trade there. Both of these outposts are important, but the former for defence and securing naval access, the latter as where the actual wealth is expected to come from.

Getting back to the access question, can't the Danes try to cut them off from any access to the Atlantic at all? Will the Danes generally find it imprudent to thus alienate their neighbor-rival, will they get co-opted into some alt-Kalmar union, will the Swedes conquer them outright, or what?

For now, Sweden and Denmark found enemies they hated more than each other, and so thus they cooperated, as they did a bit in OTL.

The seeds of conflict are still there, though, including as you note access to the Atlantic, as well as the Sound Dues in general, Swedish interest in Scania and Halland, competing interests in the Baltic trade from northern Germany, and so forth.

Sooner or later I expect Sweden and Denmark to be at war, although the outcome is hard to guess.

The Stuarts continue to reign in Britain, correct?

In the short term, at least. The death of Charles I and the new regency for Charles II has removed the immediate threat to the monarchy. But the underlying tensions are still there, and will break out sooner or later.

Anyway IIRC a number of Aururian crops would do surprisingly well in the near-Arctic latitudes of the Baltic.

Kinda-sorta. The handy crop is a root vegetable, murnong, which has the great virtue of growing well even on poor soils. It can tolerate cold winters better than most Aururian crops, due to growing in alpine areas in mainland Aururia, and in colder *Tasmania. It doesn't actually yield as well as the potato (but then what does?), but can grow in places where potatoes can't.

The complication is that most of the Baltic is too cold for murnong, except in the coastal areas which are warmed by the Gulf Stream. So Denmark can grow it, and probably the very southernmost tip of Norway, judging from the climate maps. That may extend into places like Scania and Halland, and maybe places like Mecklenburg and Pomerania in Germany, but probably not further inland.

(Well, in the seventeenth century, anyway. This is the time of the Little Ice Age, where winters are colder and growing seasons shorter. Murnong would probably grow in more areas given a modern climate.)

So if the Swedes can avoid collapsing for a while the demographic basis of the Swedish kingdom/nation should consolidate. As would the Danes to be sure! And the Russians.

I suspect that the potato will do more for the Russians than murnong, particularly given the Little Ice Age. But Denmark, at least, is going to have a population boost. This may strengthen its hand vis a vis Sweden, but then *Sweden now has a lot of Germans within its borders. Swings and roundabouts.

OTOH Norway might get feisty, drawing the center of gravity of the Danish kingdom north or at least counterbalancing the effect of Denmark's acquisitions in former northern Germany. Or perhaps the Swedes court insurrection there whenever the Danes get too obnoxious about the straits, and this is how a sort of balance of terror leading to an amicable modus viviendi between the two Scandinavian realms evolves?

In the long run Sweden and Denmark-Norway may learn to live with each other, but I suspect that it will take at least one war (or two) before they sort themselves out.

Now turning down to the Med, Spain looks pretty wasted at the moment, but the main suite of Aururean crops seems likely to revitalize Iberia eventually.

Spain has, quite honestly, exceptional potential for Aururian crops. The climate is just about right, and the ability of most of the new crops to cope with poor soils is just the thing needed to help with deforested, eroded soils that are present in so much of Spain. The runaway success of eucalypts in modern Spain is further demonstration of that. So long as the merinos can be kept away from the new crops (which is not guaranteed), then the rest will come naturally.

How the cultural, economic and political structure of seventeenth-century Spain will respond to such circumstances, I'm not sure. Can anyone recommend any good English-language sources about Spain during this period?

Italy too should prosper in the sense of there being more Italians, better fed, though they might still be engaged in political fratricide on a grander scale. But it's been foretold, Sicily is an island to watch.

Very much so about Sicily. And the most viable parts of Italy for Aururian crops are also mostly those that currently fall under the Spanish crown. What works in one may work in the other, for better or for worse.

I'm not an unfan of the Ottomans, but hardly an expert, so I'll let others speculate on what the nadir of the plague and the boost of the new crops will mean south of the Med and its northeast shores from the Balkans east--though presumably the Wittelsbachs, having got a toehold on the Med, will mix into that mess. Unless they are too distracted by Empire politics and Italian politics!

The fate of the Ottomans is hard to guess - I have little knowledge of their history either - but at the very least, Aururian crops give them enormous potential to boost their population and wealth.

The Wittelsbachs will have a thing or two to say in that area, too. Although if they're too busy staring at the remnants of the Austrian Habsburgs, then this may mean that the Ottomans get left alone for a good long while.

I foresee a considerably more balanced development of Europe on the technical and economic fronts, instead of it being nearly as centered in northwest Atlantic coast Europe as OTL.

This sounds quite likely. At the most fundamental level, Aururian crops will help restore the agricultural potential of the Mediterranean zone which has been so badly affected by overfarming, deforestation and erosion over the centuries. That means in turn more comparable populations in northern and southern Europe. While that doesn't affect the distribution of some natural resources - iron ore, coal and limestone are still where they are, and that's mostly not in southern Europe - on the whole it makes for a relatively stronger south.

This is partially because I don't foresee the Stuart-descended British kingdom(s?) being quite so cutting-edge--still innovative on these fronts, but blunted--whereas perhaps Sweden will be more dynamic than OTL in the 18th century which in turn might provoke/enable a somewhat more modern (if on "absolutist" lines!) Poland and Russia.

The British are a bit of a wild card, at this stage. Absolutist monarchies in northern and central Europe are quite likely - though not certain, of course - and while those have their flaws, they can sometimes be places for development.

Meanwhile the western Med--Iberia and Sicily but possibly also southern France and the other Med islands--will have a bit of a second Renaissance, a true "rebirth."

The effects of Aururian crops will be profound. Not just higher population, but because of the pecularities of those crops, a higher percentage of the population free to pursue non-agricultural pursuits. Up to 20-25% of the population may become urbanised, which will have huge consequences.

So capitalism in particular will probably arise more slowly and more fitfully and more gradually, but on a dispersed basis with strong centers scattered all around Europe's peripheries; parts of the Ottoman realm may participate on a pretty equal basis as well.

Hence I guess the more quilted nature of European colonialism in North America.

It's safe to say that it will be much harder for any one power to enforce control in North America. Britain still has some fundamental advantages in demographics - a very strong source of emigration, and almost certainly still the largest in absolute terms - but the broader wealth distribution will make it harder for Britain to maintain the naval dominance that let it take over most of North America in OTL.

Interesting update, but:

1. Prussia was a Polish fief until 1657 OTL and I don't see how it'd be different ITTL, so it can't be given to Courland - by anyone that's not Poland that is. More likely, if history of Polish-Lithuania takes more-or-less the same road as OTL, by 1634 there'd be plans to annex Prussia directly into Poland. So it's quite possible that in ATL 1634 Prussia would end up as a integral part of Poland.

The catch is that this is a period with a *Truce of Altmark - not that different from OTL, although slightly more favourable to Sweden. Sweden actually still controls a lot of coastal Prussian cities as part of that truce (as they did in OTL).

While I haven't specified the details of how the *Truce of Altmark was extended ITTL, it would be safe to say that Sweden has a say in the disposal of Prussia. Sweden trying to hold onto Prussia directly would provoke Poland into war - however reluctantly on the Poles' part. But by the same token Sweden doesn't want Prussia falling under direct Polish rule either, and has the military potential to do something about it. Giving Prussia to Courland seems like a decent compromise: it's still a Polish fief, just with Courland having it instead of the Hohenzollerns.

2. Looking at the map - there are a number of somehow Swedish enclaves in non-HRE Pomerania (Lebork & Bytow) and in Courland. OTL they were Polish after the death of last Pommeranian Griffin duke (1637) until 1657 (the former) and under Polish-Lithuanian rule from 1562 till 1795 (latter).

Lebork & Bytow were deliberate - the Swedes ITTL have directly taken over all of the inheritance of the Pomeranian Griffin duke after his death in 1637. Sweden did not actually claim Pomerania before that point - it was just "occupied" (and supplying them revenue) while they went further south.

Poland is not happy about this, but not yet in a position to do much about it. Sweden comes out of the Twenty Years' War in a much stronger position than it was in OTL, after all.

The Swedish enclaves in Courland I need to look into in more detail - I can't remember offhand the reason they were shown as Swedish.

Good update, am I correct in assuming that French expansion eastwards has not started yet TTL, when it started OTL as a result of French intervention during the thirty years war?

Not any major French expansion east yet, at least. I can't remember if France had any smaller expansion before the 30 Years War or not. France has also expanded less in Italy - no involvement in the War of the Mantuan Succession, either.

On the other hand, France is also thus not bloodied by those wars, and has its old rival Spain still to its north and south, and burdened by a Catalan revolt...

An Hohenzollern Lorraine will be a major barrier to French expansion eastwards too.

It will be significant, although Lorraine has not quite the resources that Brandenburg-Prussia had, either - the Hohenzollerns are in a more restricted position to stop the French. Of course, the Hohzenzollerns would be better equipped to obtain allies within the HRE and/or from the Netherlands, too.

Great work (again), Jared!

Now Sweden seems to have more Germans than Swedes in its borders. I wonder how things will turn out in the long run.

Anyone want to try their hand at creating an ATL language which is a mixture of Swedish and German? :eek:

Great Timeline! I have a question regarding Bremen.

Will there be resistance in Bremen against the Danish? Somehow like the 2 wars against the Swedes?

There will certainly be displeasure about the Danish. Whether Bremen will be strong enough to do anything about it is another story. The list of potential allies is short, and like most urban centres Bremen was hit by the Aururian plagues, which doesn't help.

Bremen is of course not strong enough to actually win on their own, but the city was basically a fortress so they could try resistance if they see a chance of some allies.

Bremen may well try a revolt even if they don't have allies, I suppose. But offhand, I can't think who would be willing to support them. Maybe if the Swedes and Danes fall out, perhaps.

Good stuff, and interesting. No big fight between the Danes and the Swedish will have some important effects on the Norwegians at least.

It will, although it depends whether Sweden and Denmark just end up fighting later instead.

Wait, what? So, now Danes aren't going to hate Swedes?

What a sick, sick world you've crafted. I like it.

Nothing is certain, yet. It just means that any disagreements are postponed while they focus on other states.

That aside, just... Wow. I'd like to offer more constructive comments than that, but I'm afraid I can't quite parse this well enough - It's quite the humongous piece of well-written literature to swallow.

Thanks. And yes, it is long - I believe that I've written theses shorter than that post. :confused:

The only thing I can add at current time is that I'm sure glad I won't be having a history examination: People tend to look at you in a peculiar fashion when you elaborate on the elaborate cultures of pre-contact Australia.

I sometimes find that I look at a real map of Europe and think that the borders are wrong.

While I agree that Bohemia will be even more Germanized ITTL because of greater population losses in this alt-Thirty Years' War, I would think that Pomerania and Silesia might develop in the exactly opposite direction.

Come to think of it, that would be quite possible. Much depends on who the Swedes get to do their administration, of course - as you point out, Sweden used Germans in Livonia and Estonia to do their administration. The Swedes would still have to outsource a lot of their local administration one way or another - quite simply, there aren't enough of them. The nobles are out of contention, these days, although the burghers aren't. Of course, now the burghers would benefit if they learned Swedish, too.

The other question is what happens to Protestants who flee now-recognised Catholic areas of Germany, particularly Bavaria, the Upper Palatinate, and Austria. With Sweden being recognised as the defender of Protestantism (or more precisely Lutheranism) in the HRE, a lot of them may end up in Silesia or Pomerania, which may create a new administrative class there. Perhaps. Or maybe those Protestants would end up assimilating into either Swedish or the local Slavic

On the other hand, Sweden might lose its German dominions to a German national state later on, or even become a German national state itself.

This is of course a distinct possibility. Sweden's not quite in a Scotland-England kind of union where the monarch moves to London (Berlin?) - since there are multiple ethnicities and regions involved, and no-one has a majority, there's no particular need to move the centre of administration to Breslau (or Wrocław, if they end up with a Slavic dialect).

Wow BIG changes in Europe!
Like the Wittelsbach Inner Austria.

I thought it makes life in Central Europe much more complicated. The HRE now has more medium-sized states, but only the weakened Habsburgs which could be considered a large state within the HRE, and two states (Sweden and Denmark) which are large states in total, but much of that due to holdings outside the Empire.

Hmmm. I don't have any particular knowledge of what the linguistic balance was like in 1632, but both towns and the countryside will take a hit in population. Towns because the more concentrated population means that there's more exposure to the Aururian plagues, and the countryside because that's been ravaged by the way armies fought over it at this time.

Pomerania, though, was only very lightly fought over. The Swedes captured it more or less unopposed - by the time resistance to the Swedish invasion was organised, they were fighting further south and west. Silesia, though, was fought over more considerably.

I do agree though that Sweden will be an interesting place, especially if they manage to form some form of United Kingdom of Scandinavia and to dominate the Baltic in the process. I could see migration of German folks towards Sweden proper or the coastal towns depending on how prosperous Sweden becomes and how favourable the impact from the new crops is. This could lead of Swedish becoming somewhat more germanised as a language.

Quite a lot of potential there, depending on what Sweden manages to hold onto. Holding Silesia and eastern Brandenburg is a mixed blessing for Sweden. On the one hand it adds considerably to their population and resources, while on the other hand it also embroils Sweden more closely with potential enemies in inland Central Europe (Habsburgs, Bavaria, and possibly Saxony downtime).

If Sweden does hold onto the chunks of German territory, then yes, there could be a lot of migration to Sweden proper. The Aururian crops probably won't help much, except in the southernmost regions of OTL Sweden (Scania, maybe Halland) since the Little Ice Age makes things too cold. But in spite of this, with the main government in peninsular Sweden, there will be attractions for migrants.

What really interests me is the future of France TTL. We already know that it has had colonies in the American, with a French cultural presence remaining up to the present day.
If Lorraine becomes a barrier to eastwards expansions and is even somewhat germanised to boot, we could then have a very different France taking shape.

France's future could be quite different, yes. What happens to Lorraine in the long term is hard to guess, but it certainly makes life more interesting for French eastward expansion [1].

Of course, there are opportunities for France to look north. Artois hasn't been seized ITTL yet - no Franco-Spanish War in 1635-1659 - but it is tempting. The Spanish Netherlands in general look more vulnerable since they don't have as many decent ports left (Dunkirk and Ostend, mostly, and Zeebrugge I suppose), plus Spain is weakened.

There may also be some scope to look into Italy - without a War of the Mantuan Succession, Spain and/or the Austrian Habsburgve has come to dominate much of Italy. This also means that just about every surviving independent power in Italy (except Savoy) would probably favour France over Spain.

[1] As an aside, I'm not sure if Lorraine becomes more germanised. Languages don't always match between monarchs and subjects, and even in OTL several of the Hohenzollerns learned French. In this TL, the Hohenzollerns may well be trilingual - French, Alsatian or Lorraine Franconian (not sure which of those two would be dominant) and Dutch.

Southern France also stands to gain an hell of a lot from the Aururian crop package. However, it is important to forget that the potato was not adopted en masse by French farmers until the late 18th century.

Yes, the question of French resistance to the potato is one which intrigues me. I've never quite understood why it happened - explanations seem to vary - but regardless of the reason, it makes take up of Aururian crops more problematic.

One possibility may be that southern French farmers take up Aururian cash crops, rather than staple crops. There are various spices, fibre crops, dyes and so on which might grow well in France. Perhaps if some of them are grown first as a source of cash, that may start farmers thinking about other staple crops. Or perhaps not.

If France avoids Europeans wars and opts for overseas expansion instead, the country could look very different from OTL, possibly becoming a near clone to Britain in some respects.

It would be interesting, although it very much depends on the motivation for colonies. Most colonies were established for profits, of course. This may mean more French involvement in trying to grab the profitable colonies, wherever they happen to be.

What is more intriguing is having more French migration overseas. Historically speaking, French emigration to the colonies was pretty low. Quebec is the classic example - the large majority of the French-speaking population there is descended from only a few thousand people who emigrated in about one particular five-year period. Butterfly that away, and the Francophone population of Quebec would be only a tiny fraction of its current size.

Conversely, if France does favour more emigration, for whatever reason, the demographics of its colonies would be considerably boosted.

Both Sardinia and Corsica would be prime candidates for Aururian crops. So, to be honest, would be pretty much every Mediterranean island - the Balearics, Crete and other Aegean islands, Cyprus. The main reason Sicily gets mentioned is that it's the place in the Med where Aururian crops are introduced earliest (apart from Portugal and southern Spain) and taken up most enthusiastically early

600 people per square kilometre is a heck of a lot for pre-modern agriculture. Red yams are high-yielding and very water-efficient - as are wattles - but still, that may be on the high side. Even 4-5 million (160-200/km2) would give a major population in seventeenth- or eighteenth century terms, though. Hell, if memory serves the population of Castile (Spain's core) was only about 6 million during this period. This is why I think that Spain will have trouble holding onto Sicily...

My sources seem to disagree on the language situation in early modern Pomerania: some claim that Slavic-speaking Pomeranians were few and far between as early as about 1530, while some again maintain that even in the age of Frederick the Great, the Prussian government was able to draft a lot of Slavic-speaking Pomeranians into the army and use their group loyalty to make a formidable fighting force from them.

I think that at the very least, it's safe to say that it will matter a lot whether the main administrative class continues to be German (burghers, Protestant émigrés from the former Habsburg lands).

Was not Lorraine very much Germanized even in OTL? They may have been patriotic French, but still, they were mostly German-speaking patriotic French. ITTL, they can become patriotic German-speaking Germans.

There were both French and German (well, Germanic dialects) speaking areas, but if memory serves the majority was French, at least in Lorraine as a whole. Alsace itself was more German-speaking, I believe, but broader Lorraine was not.

600 to 1,000 persons per sq km is a reasonable density for tropical rice-growing regions of the world today, with two or three crops per year, artificial fertilizers, electric-powered irrigation and all that. Sicily is probably too cold to produce more than one crop of most plants per year, and high productivity of Aururian crops in drylands may be not enough to allow for 600 to 1,000 per sq km population densities, without the benefits of modern agricultural techniques. 200 per sq km looks far more realistic, though.

Aururian crops are strictly one crop per year, at least for the perennials (which is most of them). Of course, red yams give a very large one crop yield - not quite at potato territory, but ahead of pretty much every other root vegetable. Wattles don't yield as high, and are required for a complete diet, although they can also be grown very well on hills with minimal terracing.

Anyway, while I haven't done the exact numbers, 200 people per square kilometre sounds like a reasonable maximum density.

It will give early modern alt-Sicily something like our Sicily's population, at 5 million or so. It is a lot for the early modern Europe, putting Sicily (even without continental provinces of the kingdom) on par with England, at least in population numbers, if not in economic might.

Yes, it's a huge shift. There will be an expansion of population in mainland southern Italy too - if not quite on the same scale - and whether that's part of Sicily or not, produces a significant demographic shift. Picture similar consequences for Spain itself - albeit taking longer to get going completely - and Portugal too, and the balance between northern and southern Europe has been restored a bit.

Last edited:
These look great...

Glad you approve! :D

Here's the next in the sequence, a Junditmara briyuna of the pre-Yadji era. He's wearing a traditional possum-skin cloak over a light chestpiece of bronze scale armor and an odd sort of tunic--it's split down the thigh; the back part is left to hang down behind while the front part is bifurcated, drawn up between the legs, wrapped around, and tied at the back of the thighs. (It's an odd-looking garment, but people do seem to keep finding odd ways to drape themselves in cloth...) A bronze blade is tucked in the sash at his waist as he examines a sprig of pink heath, musing on the ephemerality of the blossoms and the persistence of a briyuna's oath to his otjima.

Junditmara.png

While I haven't specified how much the Dutch push past Antwerp, probably about 10 or 20 km to the south is a likely final border.

As per above, I haven't worked out the exact border around Antwerp, but it basically means that the Dutch have control of both banks of the Scheldt downstream of Antwerp, and for a short distance upstream.
The Rupel river is conveniently located 12-13km south of Antwerp's walls and 4km north of those of Mechlin.

The Treaty of Hamburg, unlike the OTL Treaty of Munster, doesn't specify that the Scheldt is closed to navigation, either. So Antwerp may have some capacity to recover some of its previous trading success. On the other hand, the Spanish will still be able to claim tolls on any traffic going upriver on the Scheldt. Amsterdam won't be that glad of the trading competition, either. I'm not yet sure how that will work out in the long run.
I definitely see that happening, Antwerp still had some 40 000 inhabitants, enough to make it the 2nd or 3rd city of the Dutch Republic, and it still had quite some economic activity. While it will be hampered by the lack of a decent hinterland, I can see Antwerp becoming one of the five biggest Dutch ports in a generation, and perhaps much better in the long run.

That makes sense, though I'd like to track down exactly what the marquisate's borders were. I'd been picturing something that controlled both banks of the Scheldt, but that might get more interesting if the marquisate just had the east (north) bank of the river.
I have never been able to find a map with the borders of the marquisate, but I do have the places list, and it basically had the same borders as the Province of Antwerp minus Mechlin, the southern bank of the Rupel west of Mechlin and the Left bank of the Scheldt, plus of course Noord-Brabant west of Tilburg. And conquering the left bank shouldn't pose too many difficulties once the Dutch control Antwerp, in fact, the forts there are probably conquered already in preparation of the siege of Antwerp.

This also sounds logical. As per above, for the first few years I expect Antwerp (or its margraviate) simply to be added to Staats-Brabant. That situation won't last, though, and given this OTL proposal, sooner or later there will be a Nederlands Brabant. Even if the OTL proposal is butterflied in itself, if Antwerp revives as a trading entrepot, then I expect that would eventually lead to representation in the Staten-Generaal.
True, that + one of the 3 largest cities otherwise not being represented in the Estates-General + the unrepresented, catholic, Brabanders becoming a truly large group with Antwerp swelling their numbers. And Antwerp will probably want to become the seventh chamber of the VOC as well, though the other 6 will probably not want an additional competitor.

The other question is what happens to Protestants who flee now-recognised Catholic areas of Germany, particularly Bavaria, the Upper Palatinate, and Austria. With Sweden being recognised as the defender of Protestantism (or more precisely Lutheranism) in the HRE, a lot of them may end up in Silesia or Pomerania, which may create a new administrative class there. Perhaps. Or maybe those Protestants would end up assimilating into either Swedish or the local Slavic
The Dutch & English might lure a few of them as well, their East-India companies can always use more manpower...

Of course, there are opportunities for France to look north. Artois hasn't been seized ITTL yet - no Franco-Spanish War in 1635-1659 - but it is tempting. The Spanish Netherlands in general look more vulnerable since they don't have as many decent ports left (Dunkirk and Ostend, mostly, and Zeebrugge I suppose), plus Spain is weakened.
Not Zeebrugge, it was only build in 1895. Bruges' sea-access went through a canal to Ostend.

Well, I'm going a little out of order, but here is a death warrior from the early period of Yadji expansion, identifiable by his face paint and pink-and-grey checkered headband. The early death warriors are described as wearing plain red tunics and carrying simple hand weapons like axes and maces; in later eras they seem to have been given some amount of armor as well.

YadjiDW1.png

Well, well, doesn't he just look like an all-round swell guy.

Honestly, Kaiphranos, you're spoiling us. Now, do the nice Mr. Jared a favour and make a hand-bound book out of all the stuff we've received so far, and add illustrations to at least every other map. That should be satisfactory for now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.