Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

Flag Challenge No. 67: Our Lord's Flag

Design an (alternate) flag for a theocratic state following an Abrahamic religion. This can be for example a(n) (anti-)papacy, a bishopric, a caliphate or a theocratic republic (not allowed are military orders like the Teutonic Order). Future history flags are not allowed.

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS:
Thursday 12th April, 12 PM GMT
THE POLL CLOSES: Wednesday 17th April

Last edited:
Flag challenge 67 winners

me with :

Copiadenewrome32.png

and Kaiphranos:

flagchallenge67.png

Flag challenge 68:

68: Aftermath and the World of Tomorrow!

Lame title yes, but aint got anything better...

So this challenge is to design a post-apocalyptic flag for a nation, movement, city state, alliance, etc, after a unspecified event, that leaves the old world (our current world) devestated, happening sometime in the near future.

the flags can be based anytime after the event, from years to centuries/millenia, and can include old world styled flags and their symbology (but said flags will have to be changed enough to be both original and apropriate to the new world), and can be set anywhere (within reason, ie: no massive space fareing empires, keep it at least within our system and plausible)

EDIT:
Challenge Extended to End: 6th of May at 8am (GMT)

Poll Closes: 13th of May at 8am (GMT)

Last edited:
As Noravea is too busy with RL to put a challenge I have fended off competition to post this

FLAG CHALLENGE No. 69: A Sicilian Connection

Since this is a special challenge (;)) I've gone in an unusual direction by restricting it to a single named polity/state albeit that polity/state can be formed from any POD.

Your challenge is to show a flag from the history of the United Sicilian Republic - a state that covers Sicily, Sardinia, and Northern Tunisia*

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: Monday 4th June 23.59 GMT

THE POLL CLOSES: Monday 11th June

* not necessarily with these exact names

Last edited:
Congratulations to viperhawkz who won with this entry

The flag of the United Sicilian Republic upon the ascension of "Capo" Lupo Pastore to power. The triskelion represents Sicily, and each arm of the triskelion represents one of the three main parts of the USR: Sicilia, Sardegna and Cathago. The red and gold stripes represent the country's Aragonese history. The colours red, gold and white are the colours of the flags of its constituents, and the blue represents the Mediterranean across which the country is located.
attachment.php

FLAG CHALLENGE No. 70: The Kingdom(s) of Heaven(?)

For this challenge - the first I'll be posting - your task is to create the flag of a nation profoundly influenced by a religion... That doesn't belong there. Catholic China? Shinto Turkmenistan? Norse Pagan Egypt? Tengriist Iroquois Confederacy? Anything! Whoooooo knoooooowwws!

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: Monday 18th June 9:00PM GMT

THE POLL CLOSES: Monday 25th June

I just realized it's been three days since the poll closed.

So without further delay,

THE WINNER IS: Rubberduck3y6
With his excellent Buddhist Ukraine:
attachment.php

Congratulations!

Sorry for the delay :eek:

FLAG CHALLENGE № 71: Flag of the City

Design a flag for a city that is different from OTL (eg Muslim Barcelona, Free City of Strasbourg/Straßburg, American Okinawa).

Challenge ends: Monday 9th July (To get us back to the Monday schedule)
Poll Closes: Monday 16th July

Blasted forgetful brain.

FLAG CHALLENGE № 72: Protectors of the Realm

Your challenge is to design a military flag of an Alternate History nation. This can be as simple as a war flag or naval jack, or as complex as the branch flags, roundels, the whole nine yards. Good luck!

Challenge ends: Monday, July 30th
Poll Closes: Monday, August 6th

Last edited:
Actually, scratch "Round 72". While making the aforementioned list of all the challenges so far, I've discovered that the numbers of the rounds simply don't add up. I've counted every single WFC round again and it looks like the current round should actually be "Round 74".

Last edited:
Correction: According to my calculations via the list of all WFC rounds until now, it's actually Round 75 ! So, the next round will be 76.

This can probably all be traced back to some dispute over whether to use the Gregorian or Julian calendars to number the challenges, mark my words.

I've been compiling a list of all the WFC rounds so far (from its bery beginning). Take a look, if you like :

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/alternate_history/flag_challenges

It's still a WIP, so don't take it at face value. If you want to help with compiling it, please help me locate the voting threads of rounds 23-38, 43-47, 54-71. Those are still missing and I'd like to provide links to them. Thanks for any help with this.

Hi, TB here. The winner of one round makes the voting threads for the next one, so if you track the winners, you can use the search function to find the threads that they have created.

Note that not every round has followed this rule. Sometimes winners are busy so they pass the responsibilities onto the next placed person. Sometimes there are rounds with ties. When there are ties, the person who makes the voting thread could be either of the two, really. In a tie, the winners have to come with an agreement, so it could be different every time. As far as I remember, there have only been 2 ties. Possibly 3.