Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

Excellent updates, again.

...depends. General wisdom says that people sometimes get promoted so they stop creating havoc where they are at present. :eek:

Give the man a promotion then and send him off to lead the war/civil defense effort in what ever's left of Florida.

If they had their "one year of food and supplies" meme at this time, the Mormons could end up dominating society in the next few years.

WOW

Just found this site a few days ago. Stumbled onto this thread, and read the entire thing as time would allow.

Simply awesome.

This story is a combination of all my teenage imaginings.....

When Red Dawn came out in the 80's I was 12 or 13..... I spent countless hours daydreaming WWIII.

Grew out of that phase of life when girls came along.

Started reading this, and I'm sucked right back into it.

Keep up the awesome work.

Just found this site a few days ago. Stumbled onto this thread, and read the entire thing as time would allow.

Simply awesome.

This story is a combination of all my teenage imaginings.....

When Red Dawn came out in the 80's I was 12 or 13..... I spent countless hours daydreaming WWIII.

Grew out of that phase of life when girls came along.

Started reading this, and I'm sucked right back into it.

Keep up the awesome work.

Don't miss out on the other P&S threads then

Land of Flatwater -- Chip, Meet World Part 1

McCoy Air Force Base -- Orlando, Florida -- October 23, 1962 --2:45pm

Major Robert Montgomery Boye, United States Air Force. Weeping Water, Nebraska.

"Marjorie, honey..They are keeping me here for a while," the major said. "...You know I can't tell you that.."

"Bob what can't you tell me that Walter Cronkite and President Kennedy haven't already said," his wife demanded through the phone. "Bob, I'm scared and so are the kids. Are we safe here? Are we safe anywhere?"

The pilot tried to reassure his wife. Every time he took a flight. She was worried. Even if that flight was in his light plane back home in Nebraska.

"Sweetie," the pilot pleaded. "I'm not too worried. I don't think the Russians want a war any more than we do. We're just making sure."

His wife stayed scared. "If nobody wants a war, why is there is...what in Sam's Hill do they call it...A blockade?"

"Marjorie," Bob said sternly. "Keep Calm, honey. We're not going to war."

"Robert Montgomery Boye, you are a bad liar," She shrieked. "Every time you get in a plane, I'm scared you don't come home alive. And now, you can't even tell me what you fly. If God had meant us to fly, he'd have given us wings..."

He heard his wife crying through the phone. It struck his heart. She was afraid to fly, whereas Bob Boye spent his life in the air. He even proposed to Marjorie, his high school sweetheart, while flying his father's crop duster in Weeping Water.

Marjorie and the kids were back in Weeping Water. They had left the Air Force base in Texas a few days ago. "Should the worst come to worst, they'll be safe in Weeping Water," Bob thought.

"Honey, after this I may get leave..I'll come home to Weeping Water.." Bob said.

"I'll take you up in the new plane I want to buy," Bob said. "I'll even name it after you. I'd rather fly with you...My Angel."

Marjorie smiled through her worried tears. "I'd rather keep you on the ground, my love." She said.

Robert Montgomery Boye listened to his wife's sweet voice as he looked out the window to the south. Through the blue skies he could see two visions in his mind's eye. One was the image if his Marjorie. Sweet, gentle with porcelain skin, an angel's face, and Jane Russell's body.

The other image was maybe 100 or so miles to the south. The image of rockets and fire. Rockets and fire speeding north...The image of nuclear war.

Colfax County Airstrip -- near Leigh, Nebraska -- 8:35am Sunday March 25, 1984.

Beechcraft Bob slowly walked around his plane. He would check everything, but even moreso with this plane. This plane was special.

Emblazoned on the nose of this plane was one word. A special word stenciled in frilly cursive writing.

Marjorie.

The old man looked into the palm of his hand. A small locket with a picture of his wife. He had been a widower 5 years now. Yet, he could always sense the presence of his true love.

"My Angel," his said softly. "I'll need you now. Lord, send me Marjorie's nurturing spirit now. I need to be a father and a mother this week."

Down the hangar was one of his kids. His prized pupil. Cadet Captain Tina Wecker.

Tina reminded the old man of his oldest daughter, Wendolyn. The only of his three children to follow in the footsteps of the old man. She was in the U.S. Air Force, undergoing training when the balloon went up.

"Sir, the other Bonanza looks ready," Her youthful voice chimed. She was young at 15, but Tina was determined and already experienced. Beechcraft Bob saw a talent for flight that was unmatched by any young person he ever mentored.

"Good," Bob said. "That's your mount Cadet Captain. You hurt my Wendy in any way I'll skin you."

"Are you sure I'm ready?" Tina said nervously.

"Young lady, you were ready before you crawled out of your mama," Bob said. "Cadet Captain, this country is fortunate that one day you will be defending her."

"If we have a country left," she said.

"Oh we will," Bob smiled. "That is why this mission will be important. They need this medicine, and we need the supplies. Most importantly. We need to know. To know who else is there. To let people know we are still here.

"We are going to shorthanded sir,"

"All the more reason to get our cargo to Kearney and all the control points. It'll help get ours back on their feet."

"But who else is coming," Tina asked. "Most of the cadets are sick or their family have left. And you most of the auxiliaries are the same..or not coming. How many of the refugee kids are coming."

"Cadet Captain, I would suggest you don't refer to fellow CAP Cadets as 'refugee kids'," Bob said. "They are a part of us now. And two of those auxiliary cadets are coming."

Bob pointed to two uniforms lying on a table. "When they show up tomorrow, I plan on dropping the word 'auxiliary' from their title. They volunteered to come. They've earned their spots.

"Who volunteered," Tina asked.

"You know the Civil Defense man from Omaha?" Bob answered. "His daughter will join us."

"What?" Tina exclaimed. "She's so...girly...She probably still plays with dolls! This isn't going to be play, sir."

Tina rolled her eyes. Cadet Captain Wecker didn't suffer those who didn't share her intensity lightly. That meant most people her age.

"Who else?"

"Rick down the road," Bob said. "His friend's son is coming. I really like that kid. His father wasn't going to let him go. The kid wanted to come. Says he needed to."

Tina tried to remember. "Which kid is that? We had maybe 13 auxiliaries..That little girl was the only girl..."

"He would be easy to spot Cadet Captain," Bob said. "He's the only colored child in the outfit."

"Nooooooo!" Tina shrieked. "Not...Him!...."

"Why not him," Bob raised an eyebrow.."

"Well...he's strange...weird...he's different," the Cadet Captain said. "We don't know him.."

"Well, this is your chance to get to know him," Bob said. "Tina, "As long as we have a United States, we will need people to defend it and people to lead it. If you are to be one of those people, that training starts here. Those two kids have lost a lot more than we have...And they volunteered to come. They'll be looking to you..and you just might learn something from them."

"Yes, sir."

State Highway 15 -- nearing Leigh, Nebraska -- 8:30am Central Standard Time Monday March 26, 1984.

Ed Rochelle drove his Chevy down the empty road. Slowly negotiating through abandoned cars. The only sounds are a soft early spring breeze, the sound of the tired on the pavement, and the click-click-click of the geiger counter in the car. Today was a "safe" day.

Yet Ed and Chip took no chances. Both clothed in heavy NBC gear. A packed suitcase in the backseat.

Hugs and kisses were exchanged. Chip with his mom. Chip with his cousins. Cousin Ira was especially emotional. Chip and Ira often competed and fought like brothers. Yet when they were apart...One missed the other badly.

Chip's mom was stoic outside, but inside was in tears. She figured it would be a few years before she'd see her son going away. Then it would be at an airport, not like this.

Chip was quiet and nervous. He thought about what he would see. Is all Nebraska destroyed. Death all around. It seemed that way here. It seemed people died every day. You could smell the pyre all around. It was a vulgar, horrific barbeque. You had to burn the bodies of the dead. Not enough room to bury, even here in Colfax County.

Ed turned onto US-91. He knew. I would be time for his son to board a plane and fly into the unknown.

"Son,"

"Yes dad."

"I want you to mind your Ps and Qs out there boy. Don't take any wooden nickel y'hear. And mind your manners, especially around all these white folks. You are a cadet same as them, son. You keep your head up."

"Yes sir."

"And if you have to pull that gun.. You don't hesistate."

"Yes, sir."

The Chevy drove into the gates of the hangar. Which also doubled as a home for Beechcraft Bob. The other cadets were there. Doing the final checks, loaded more things on board.

Bob was talking to Dr. Kimmineau when the Chevy drove up.

"Good morning," Ed said as he got out of the car.

Chip left the passenger seat and grabbed the heavy suitcase. He was nervous. The other cadet looking at him like he had just dropped in from outer space.

He nervously looked up at Beechcraft Bob. The older man peered down.

"Auxiliary Cadet Rochelle, reporting as ordered..sir." He said in mouselike-squeak.

"Don't sound like mouse, Cadet!" Beechcraft Bob said gruffly.. "And drop the word..'auxiliary'. You stopped being an auxiliary when you volunteered."

"CADET ROCHELLE, REPORTING AS ORDERED SIR!" Chip said, trying to effect an older manly monotone...as his pubescent voice cracked.

"Better!" Bob said as he handed Chip his uniform. "Welcome to the Colfax County Civil Air Patrol as a FULL MEMBER...Cadet. And you have a job, son. You will be the communications officer on the Wendolyn under Cadet Captain Tina."

"Yes sir" Chip said. He was groaning inside. He was as comfortable with Cadet Captain Tina as she was with him. "Oh no...God help me," he thought.

Tina echoed the sentiment.

The claim we hold is as good as gold, bonanza
Hand in hand we built this land, the Ponderosa Ranch
Our birthright is this Cartwright, bonanza!
We here belong, and standing strong, wrong ain't got a chance .

to be continued.

Last edited:

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Good to see Chip back. :)

Quite cinematic that segue from '62 to '84.
I could imagine Bob doodling his wife's name as he spoke to her on the phone before it slowly dissolved into that same name across the front of his plane.

Falkenburg

One problem. CAP is technically THE auxiliary of the USAF, so two auxiliaries may be a bit much. Still, this is a good start for a good story.

Incidentally, how are the other Auxiliaries doing? MARS (Military Affiliate Radio Service) is no doubt relaying messages. The USCG Auxiliary is no doubt doing stuff on the coasts, lakes and waterways. Both the USCGAux and CAP would likely be mistaken for military forces in some cases...though given the size of the disaster, they are already going more military...

Want some CAP music?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aawZ8xS5iQY

Land Of Flatwater: Chip, Meet World Part 2

Colfax County Airstrip -- near Leigh, Nebraska -- 9:30am Central Standard Time Monday March 26, 1984.

"It's time," Bob said. "Doctor, you'll be on Marjorie with my Cadet Lieuts Scott and Tiffany. Your assistant Nurse Trofholz will ride with the Tina-Justin team on Wendolyn.."

Chip stood by his father. Saying last goodbyes.

"I guess are other new cadet got cold feet. Everybody lets board and head out.."

Chip looked his father in eye. "See you in a week, son."

"Yes, sir," Chip said.

Ed tried to stay official. He couldn't.

He grabbed his son. "I love you, son. And I am very proud of you."

Tears welled up in Chip's eyes again. He tried hard to blink them back. He didn't want Cadet Captain Tina to see him crying.

Chip broke away from his father and walked toward the open door of the plane. Eye still red. Tears drying.

Chip entered the plane, and was met with a harsh voice.."Glad one of the plebes could make it. Cadet Rochelle your seat is there. You can wipe your tears and grow up while you are at it."

Chip wanted to fire back, but he held himself. He's sitting in front of the radio set on the plane.

Chip felt a hand on his shoulder. "Hi, I'm Cyndi," Nurse Trofholz said in a soft voice. "What's your name."

"Cadet Chip Rochelle, ma'am," he said.

Cyndi smiled and rolled her eyes, "Please don't call me ma'am..Cyndi is fine. I'm not that old.

"Okay, Cyndi," Chip said. Still sad.

"I miss my mom and dad and we haven't left yet," Chip muttered.

"I understand," Nurse Trofholz said. "I miss my husband."

"Is he dead?" Chip asked somberly. The question is a common one since February 21, 1984.

"I pray he isn't" Cyndi answered. "He's in the Air National Guard 173rd Squadron."

Chip perked up. "They shot down the Russians trying to bomb North Platte. I hope he's still alive."

He looked back at his dad standing on the tarmac. The soft spring wind blowing on the hazy morning.

Two more cars drove up on the tarmac. Beechcraft Bob walked up to one of the cars. Another group of boxes were handed to him.

"Sorry for cutting it close," Dana said. "But the wife just finished this batch."

The boxes contained Potassium Iodide pills, and Dana's wife made extra...She also made Bob's favorite.

"How the hell did scrounge up enough material to make a carrot cake?" Bob smiled.

"That's my Mags for you," Dana said. "Best thing I ever did was marrying her."

"I also found this straggler by the side of the road with a flat.."

The car behind him was a pickup truck. Walt Prestridge at the wheel...and Jill in passenger seat.

"Sorry we're late sir," Walt said. "The spare was flat, too. Dana came out and rescued us."

"Glad you made it we were worried we'd be more shorthanded than we were."

Jill stepped out the truck with Walt.

"Auxiliary Cadet Prestridge reporting as ordered, sir," She said in her cute voice."

Bob handed her a new uniform. "You are no longer Auxiliary Cadet Prestridge now," he said sternly. "Welcome to the Civil Air Patrol, Cadet! Report to Wendolyn...You're late cadet!"

Bob pointed toward the door, and he pulled out his walkie talkie

"Captain, your stray cadet just made it...and we have carrot cake."

"Hey Dirt Track, what brings you here!" Ed said.

"Delivering some last minute cargo, you?

"Bringing my son here. He's going on this mission."

"You sending your little boy out into hell?" Dana said.

"He wanted to go," Ed said. "You know, I'm glad though. He feels that if he sees it all, the fear will go away. Hell, I don't know when the boy has had a good night's sleep since hell we got back from the Orange Bowl."

"Ed, whacha doin' after you see your son off?"

"Head back to the farm."

"Don't head back just yet," Dana said. "Actually, call Rick and tell him bring some of the CDU boys with him. I need to talk to all of you...Walt Prestridge is coming, too."

"What going on?" Ed was puzzled in his reply.

"Some concerns that people have about the NCF and how it'll affect us."

Jill's elfin frame headed up the stairs as Beechcraft Bob helped her place it in the luggage hold. She approached the door...just as Chip's head turned toward it...

Her hair was different. It was short and spiky, almost boyish...It was still red. The sunlight making it brighter. She was slimmer, like every kid was post-attack, it shows even in a bulky NBC suit...but it didn't matter to Chip.

She looked at him. Dorky headset aside, he was still cute. He was still Chip..

"Excuse me, Cadet! Cadet Captain Tina said. "Do you need a written invitation to get on the plane."

"Uh..no," Jill said meekly. Jill stepped on the plane.

"You'll assist Cadet Rochelle..." Tina snapped. "And remember you two that is not a toy.."

"Yes Cadet Captain Meany," Chip retorted.

"EXCUSE ME?"

"Yes Cadet Captain," Chip said as he was stiffling a growing giggle.

Even Jason in the co-pilot seat snickered a little.

"I wish Denny was here," Chip thought. "Maybe Tina wouldn't be so mean."

Jill strapped in right next Chip. No words just smiles.

"I always get a seat by you on the plane," Chip laughed.

Beechcraft Bob strapped into his pilot seat and calmly spoke into his radio.

CAP Marjorie to CAP Wendolyn -- come in...

CAP Wendolyn Roger...

I want to thank you all for coming on this mission, and a special welcome to Cadet Prestridge and Cadet Rochelle. Welcome to the Colfax County Civil Air Patrol. You are both are part of our county and our family.

All hands. We have a mission. We will carry it out with professionalism and honor. The things we've trained for. We will do. Your age doesn't matter now. You young people are the future and the future is now.

And lastly but not least...Heavenly Father bless this two plane and all the people on them. And extend your loving arms around who these planes are named. Each is named after a special woman in my life.

And keep all those we leave behind here in Colfax County safe. In the Lord's name we pray...amen.

Both pilots started the engines. The two enhanced Beechcraft Bonanzas began to taxi. Hardened, strengthened and ruggedized, Bob had been working on these special planes for years. And now they'd get a trial by fire.

Marjorie turned towards the main runaway. Bob set her up facing west...towards Kearney...

He took the throttle in hand. It felt smooth and easy, just like Marjorie's hand. The power flowed to the single engine. The plane bolted down the runway and Bob led the control yoke back....Into the skies into the unknown..

20 seconds later, Cadet Captain Tina followed. She was dry-mouthed and nervous. But it didn't show in the takeoff...She pulled the yoke back and within seconds, her plane was airborne.....As she took the Bonanza into a climb Chip and Jill were hand in hand.

Cyndi Trofholz noticed with a smile and a worried tear. "Reminds me of Todd and I," she thought.

Ronald Reagan Airfield/FEMA National Reconstruction Headquarters -- Columbia, Washington. -- same time

All forces...calling GOLF-OSCAR...This is Columbia...Echo-Tango-One-Four. Calling GOLF-OSCAR I say again...GOLF-OSCAR...Echo-Tango-One-Four...

The gathering order had been sent out a week ago and send then, planes had worked their way back to the former Walla Walla, Washington now renamed Columbia.

The airfield and lined up with aircraft, mainly cargo carrier and stray fighters. Rows of F-4 Phantoms, A-7s, Harriers, F-16s mixed with KC-135s, C-130s and a lot of smaller crafts, including a horde of surviving T-38s, which crews were frantically weaponizing.

The emergency federal government was trying to handle multiple immediate threats. There was a corpse crisis,a leadership crisis, because the acting President missing because of the actions of a rouge group in California....and the debriefing a surviving Strategic Air Command NEACP Staff.

"Soviets have built a base in Canada?!" The acting Secretary of Defense yelled. "You're fucking kidding me!"

"I wish I were," CINC-SAC said. "But when we were in CFB Cold Lake, we followed the battles. The Royal Canadian Air Force have been clashing with some Soviet Air Power for at least the last two weeks. The last transmissions we got heard the Minnesota Air Guard elements were in the fight, too.

The acting SecDef was even more stressed as were the assorted generals, admirals and aides in the room.

CINC-SAC Bennie Davis and U.S. Navy Captain Glenn Harper are in seats on the other side of the SecDef's emergency committee. You could see it was the first Senate Committee meeting of the post-attack era. The press was there, or more accurately the press representative of the emergency govenrment.

"You are both originally stationed at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. What have you heard from that area? Are there any viable government units, anything survivable."

"Captain Harper would know more about that," CINC-SAC said. "He monitored more of the FEMA situation.

Captain Harper answered, "There is reason to believe that could be a viable government at least in Nebraska. Their Governor has made two addresses since the attacks."

"According to all the data," a FEMA official said. "Those communications were pre-recorded."

Captain Harper played some of his cards to the vest, but he also wanted this national government to get the hint.

"Maybe so," Captain Harper said. "But I do know that the state of Nebraska had undertaken extensive emergency preparations. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to think that a state government survived."

"What makes you so sure?" One of the generals asked.

"Mainly the makeup of the man in charge. The Governor of Nebraska is former U.S. Navy. I served in the SEALs with him in Vietnam. This man knows how to organize and, if necessary, knows how to fight."

The session went on for three hours. Just like in the days before the war, people who think they know often looked their noses down on those who actually did....All except for one..

"Excuse me, Captain Harper.." A striking woman in a professional blue dress said. "I need to speak with you."

Harper, in his Navy full dress uniform, turned toward the woman. "Yes, ma'am" He said.

"My name is Cheryl Brewster, threat assessment analyst...CIA."

"CIA?" Captain Harper. "We still have that?"

"Yes we do, I need to speak to you, so does my superior."

Second Lieutenant Robert Gates, United States Air Force. Wichita, Kansas. Director of Central Intelligence

Harper entered a building at the other end of the sprawling airfield. It looked more like another hangar than an office. Inside were relics of an era seemingly wiped away. A lot of people at radio sets. Other analyzing satellite photos. And maps...a lot of maps.

Harper was led to a spacious office. Inside was much like the outside. Maps aligned the walls, and a man was studying a lot of information.

The man looked earnest and scholarly. Such was in line with his history. The man was a history major in college, and grew in the CIA as an analyst on the Soviet Union, among other specialties. If there was one thing the Director of Central Intelligence knew in earnest, it was the concept of knowing thine enemy.

"Captain," the DCI said. "Please sit down."

Harper sat down tentatively. The military man, like many military people ,were wary of anything CIA. Gates sensed this.

"Don't be nervous, skipper," Gates said. "I'm as much Air Force as I am CIA, and my first job was in SAC. I speak your language. Here I need to learn a lot from you.

"I don't know that much, sir," Harper said.

"I find that hard to believe that a man known as 'Slide Rule' is a know-nothing," said the DCI. "I doubt a leader such as Bob Kerrey would trust a know-nothing."

Harper was a little taken aback as the DCI continued. "Yes, I know Lieutenant Kerrey, and what happened on Fourteen March, Nineteen Sixty-Nine. Medal of Honor well deserved."

"I know about you too, Captain. You are great friend of the Governor, so much so that you risked your career to send him data through back channels."

"If this is what this is about," Captain Harper said, "You can put me in irons and send me to the stockade now. I am entitled to my day in court under the articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice."

"Calm down, Captain," the DCI said. "I don't want to arrest you. I'm glad you did what you did. Because helping Kerrey, really helps us...and we need your and the Governor's help."

"According to the committee I just got out of the Lieutenant doesn't exist anymore."

Gates smiled. "Most of the committee is behind the curve, Captain. Right now they are trying to piece together whats going on while trying to deal with what is in front of their face. We have enough issues trying to get the states surrounding us back on board., and getting a good handle on what military capability we have left...And General Davis and you have really piled on the plate."

"They asked what we knew and we told them,"

"About the Soviets? Gates said. "Hell, we should've seen that coming. Especially with the information we are getting about the USSR."

"What info?"

"They have the same issues we do. We don't know who is in charge and we have a lot of defense assets scattered, internal problems, and we're still at war...and they have more fronts than we do."

"Why are the telling me this,"

"Because you come recommended," Gates said. "I had a little chat with CINC-SAC and Admiral Jonas not long after you all got here. General Davis wasn't surprised and what we found out."

Again Captain Harper swallowed hard. He knew he broke a lot of regs to help his friend. What would happen now with a nation at war?

"They respect your smarts and your loyalty," the DCI said. "I'm counting on both, because we have a problem and you can help."

"What's the problem?" Harper asked.

"Do you know of a man named Tyler Tyles?"

"Haven't heard of him."

"Tyles," Gates began. "Was first known as U.S. Army Lieutenant Tyler Tyles. He was chopper pilot, and he was Army Intelligence. Supposed he was killed in action in 1971. Turned out he wasn't dead. He surfaced in 1973 in Thailand. It seemed he went into business full time as an arms dealer. While in Vietnam it was confirmed he had business dealing with the South Vietnamese Government and with the Viet Cong. The money and contacts he built in turn created his business."

"From 1973 to 1979, he grew from a little tadpole into a killer whale. When got him in 1979, he was one of biggest arms dealers in the world. We brought him back to the U.S., We tried him...and he got away on a technicality. Since 1979, we had an agent on his ass....Code named "OPENING".

"Quite a story. LeCarre couldn't write better," Harper wisecracked. "Why sweat this. He's probably dead now."

"He's not dead," Gates said. "We have a man on the ground who knows he isn't."

"So what? What can he deal?" Harper said.

"It's what he's already sold that scares me," Gates said. "That's why I need you to open a channel with Governor Kerrey...a conduit. We need to show the emergency government here that we have a viable continuity there, from there we can take action if need be"

"Action for what?"

"To find and stop this man before he threatens the fragile recovery we are trying to continue."

"You'll need to spell this out for me CIA," Harper said. "What are you afraid of?"

Gates had to tell it all. "Captain, after 1979, Tyles dealt domestically, mainly to organized hate groups..Klan, White Aryans...those kooks..Among the things he dealt....were guns, rockets, RPGs.....and agrobacterial weapons, weaponized smallpoz, weaponized anthrax.

"How the hell did he get that?" Captain Harper asked. "I thought we destroyed all that stuff years ago."

Gates smiled. "We said we destroyed it...But every government keeps a stash...It just turned out that one of the keepers of the stash fancies wearing white sheets and burning crosses. Tyles purchased the goods...and the man."

"We have a radius where this man is...Idaho.. We will find him and kill him. OPENING was sent to Nebraska two years ago, when we had a confirmation on Tyles. He was working with a white power group. The data you sent Governor Kerrey confirmed our earlier reports. Tyles is in Nebraska, and OPENING will kill him, But we help on the ground to find him...that is why we need you to open a door for us to eliminate a threat that could strangle our reborn nation in the womb."

to be continued.

Last edited:
Land Of Flatwater: Situation Reports 03/26/1984

TO: Governor Kerrey and Brigadier General Griswold
FR: Dr. Don Benning, Communications Executive/Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government.
RE: URGENT! Official Communication with possible federal emergency govenrment.

Governor,

Several of our listening posts have received the following coded transmission:

"GOLF-OSCAR...This is Columbia...Echo-Tango-One-Four. Calling GOLF-OSCAR I say again...GOLF-OSCAR...Echo-Tango-One-Four."

ECHO confirms that this came on the same frequency at a coded scrambled communication sent out from an unknown source on a secure EBS channel on 21 February.

We need confirmation of this. Brigadier General Griswold, any ideas?

TO: Governor Kerrey and Communications Executive Benning
FR: Brigadier General Griswold, CINC-NEBCOMFORCE
RE: GOLF-OSCAR

We may have an answer to this riddle.
We still have the Air Force personnel under guard in Lincoln. Do we have a recording of this message I can play for them?

They will not talk if we don't have something for them to hear.
What is our plan if they confirm that this message is actual?

TO: Governor Kerrey
FR: Dr. Jennifer Suhr. Medical Executive, NCEG
RE: Grand Island Syndrome. Possible Solution.

Governor,

A telegraph from a working medical group at Kearney State College says they may have a solution to the GI Syndrome. They believe that have a suppressant/antibiotic combination that may be effective.

They say that samples of the suppressant and the group that have been working with it are en route to Kearney.

Request transport to Kearney. This is something I need to be on the ground for.

TO: Executive Committee, NCEG
FR: Kay Orr, Resource Executive, NCEG
RE: Major Economic Priorities

I plan to have a greater explanation at our next executive committee meeting, but by next week, the vehicle reclamation and inventory project will commence in a larger scale.
We will continue to herd all abandoned vehicles along Interstate 80 toward a group of depots at each main exit town between Lincoln and North Platte. From there the cars will be disassembled and the parts will be grouped and catalogued for either repair or storage.

We've made a great amount of progress in corpse removal and storage. Before the snowstorm last week. The project managed to remove over 10,000 corpses from the Interstate 80 corridor into a set of mass concrete-lined graves outside of Malcolm. As we head into spring, we can be more efficient with this. We will have to be, because we have even higher priorities ahead of us with spring planting ahead.

Labor division and efficient use of human capital is key. I have plans for meetings with key technical, and business leaders in the coming days to plan and implement our industrial and economic strategy.

TO: Governor Kerrey, Brigadier General Griswold, Dr. Jennifer Suhr
FR: Dr. Zenon Yarelian, Scientific Executive, NCEG
RE: Two nuclear situations.

Committee members,

I think our immediate concern should be the matter of the nuclear material outside of North Platte. That device must be moved away from the area and must be dismantled. We have contacts with a group of technicians from the Cooper nuclear facility, one of them is former military with experience in nuclear munitions. This is a critical priority.

Those same technicians have also volunteered to return to Cooper when we decide to deploy there to assess damage, radiation levels and the possibility of putting the plant back online.

Unrelated issue: As we embark on the recycling and industrial repurpose initiatives, we must consider wind turbine power, especially with fossil fuel stores diminished and our hydroelectric output limited to certain areas, that is the best chance to have regular electric service in as many areas as possible.

Last edited:
Great updates Chip, looks like for the foreseeable future kids will become adults much earlier than we are used too and there won't be such a thing as teenagehood anymore, for better or for worse.

If the Cooper Nuclear Station can be put back online, I don't think that there will be much need for further generation for some time. It is interesting to note that Wind turbines for electricity generation were buoyant until the thirties and the establishment of large scale power grids connecting rural farms and communities.
With part of the grid being down for some time, the room is there for them to make a comeback of sorts. The technology is rather easy and can be ruggedised further especially if low outputs are required.

The inventoried car engines, would make a perfect motive power for small pumps and facilities if the need arise to build new stuff.

On a sid note I was in the states last week and thought about you and the TL while overflying the plains on my way to the West Coast. Nebraska is very much on my list of places to visit at some point in the future.

Land Of Flatwater: Chip, Meet World Part 3: The Jigsaw

BASE ALPHA/Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government State Capital -- Geneva, Nebraska -- 11:00am. Central Standard Time Monday March 26, 1984

"Ma'am we have a Cessna stagecoach waiting to head west," Clete said. "You ready."

"Absolutely," Dr. Suhr said.

"Doc, keep me posted on what going on out there," the Governor said excitedly.

"This must be something big," Clete interjected.

"It's the GI sickness," Dr. Suhr said. "Some people at Kearney State think they've cracked the code.

Chemistry Building -- Kearney State College -- Kearney, Nebraska 1:00pm Central Standard Time.

Doctor Kimmineau and Beechcraft Bob carried two sizable boxes into the lab. Inside were carefully packed test tubes with the suppressant elixir. The burgundy-red liquid shined as the light of the lab hit it.

The lab was strewn with flasked a various compounds, each with different forms of liquid antibiotics. But the lead researcher, Dr. Harlin Hascomb, had the most important. A much needed streptomycin that proved must effective as a crude antibiotic.

"This antibiotic is effective," Dr. Hascomb said, but I think with what you are telling me if they can work together with the elixir..We could speed up recovery process."

"We should be successful," Dr. Kimmineau replied. "We have to be. The say maybe 3,000 cases statewide and countung?"

"Try 6,000+," Hascomb said. "And it seems we add a new one every second in the camps."

The doctors and the varied med students began to synthesize and analyze. The CAP cadets became quick-study lab assistants. A lot of work needed to be done, but soon there would be answer. Could this work, and could they make enough of it?

Lincoln Municipal Airport -- Lincoln, Nebraska -- same time

A number of planes were parked in the main hangar, dwarfed the giant C-5 Galaxy transport that got here 3 weeks ago. Its crew was doing checks on it, and on a pair of surviving B-52s. Technically the USAF bomber recovery personnel were still under official detainment, but the National Guard units holding Lincoln as a closed military district allowed some B-52s returning from missions to land, refuel, repair and regroup.

In a room away from the drone of the hangar floor...The leader of the bomber recovery unit was taking more questions from Clayton and McGonigal...

""GOLF-OSCAR...This is Columbia...Echo-Tango-One-Four. Calling GOLF-OSCAR I say again...GOLF-OSCAR...Echo-Tango-One-Four.....i say again to all Eagle Forces..."GOLF-OSCAR...This is Columbia...Echo-Tango-One-Four. Calling GOLF-OSCAR I say again...GOLF-OSCAR...Echo-Tango-One-Four."

"Damn!!!!" Major Denton said. "They are calling for another gathering order."

"Gathering order?" Agent Clayton asked.

"Yes," Major Denton said excitedly. "GOLF-OSCAR is a rally cry. They must be calling from somewhere....

"Columbia," Frank said. "Missouri?"

"Must be a code word for where they are holed up in Washington State.." Major Denton said. "I remember before the balloon went up thet the Echo Tango call sign would be a cipher for a rally point to regroup...OR a call to action. Either way, we have a federal response..You have to let us answer."

"Not so fast, major." Frank said. "We need to run this up our flagpole first.."

"C'mon Cornhusker..THIS IS A FEDERAL RESPONSE! You have to let us answer."

"That response could be a damn Russian for all we know."

"We don't have to answer to you, Nebraska.."

Agent Clayton went nose to nose with the Air Force officer. "Actually major you do," he said in a truculent tone, "Technically, we're hearing a lot of gibberish, not standing orders. Until we hear otherwise from a federal civilian authority, Governor Kerrey calls the shots here."

Clayton softened his tone, "Look, I'm a federal officer, too..."

Denton raised an eyebrow, "Pencil pusher?"

Clayton was slightly offended but let it go, "Not quite Blue Suit. Try "Company"

Major Denton blanched a little. "Spy."

"You could say that," Clayton said. "Listen, these folks are just trying to make it through. You play ball with them, they'll play ball with you. I know. Once their people follow through with their checks, you'll be okay. If that is a surviving federal government, they are people we want to hear from."

to be continued.

Land Of Flatwater: Depatches from the frontlines 3/26/1984

STITCHES CONFIRMED ON GROUND AT KEARNEY AT 1308 CST. Will head immediate to Kearney State to assess status on SHAMAN

CORNBREAD reports positive confirm on FEDERAL GOLF-OSCAR. REPEAR. POSITIVE CONFIRM ON FEDERAL GOLF-OSCAR. Awaiting orders from PEGLEG and NEMESIS.

FREMONT CONTROL requesting additional troop due to 15th day on fighting within the FEMA Camp. CONFLICT SEEMS TO BE RACIAL IN NATURE USE CAUTION.

Good updates, Chip!:)
I believe
Robert Gates is OTL previous US Secretary of Defence.
Tyles has access to worse stuff than I thought.
:(

Wow...this could be big. Kerrey might get in trouble with the Feds...but he could be getting a medal for helping hold Nebraska together.

Does anyone have any idea how CAP is doing nationwide? CAP HQ is at Maxwell AFB, which might have gotten nuked. DC wing is likely toast. My home wing's HQ (then a new building) is likely gone, if Columbia Metropolitan Airport is a target (which means Midlands Tech would be toast too). I need to find out if our squadron was based at our local GA airport or the ex-AFB.

Land Of Flatwater: Chip, Meet World Part 4: Pieces

Chemistry Building -- Kearney State College -- Kearney, Nebraska 3:00pm Central Standard Time -- Monday March 26, 1984

Chip is walking down the hall carrying a box of supplies...When he ducked into a room. He heard a radio transmission...

zzzzz. This is.......National.......International Falls.....EMERGENCY!!! We have been attacked.,....Nerve Gas.....Minneapolis......zzzz....We were attacked by....zzzzz........I say again Soviet bomber........Nerve Gas........

"Damn!" One of the students at the radio said. "we have to tell somebody..."

The other student turned to the door and saw Chip, "Hey kid, what do you want!"

"Nothing," Chip stammered.

"Then beat it!"

"We need somebody that can boost this reception.."

Chip looked at the radio set. It was a crystal set...Very makeshift...powered by what looked like two Radio Shack kits.

"Excuse me," Chip said. "I can boost your power."

"Yeah sure kid.."

"I can," Chip said.

"Yeah right, kid," the other student. "Get lost."

Chip shrugged his shoulders and left...But he knew what he heard.

Chip made his way back to the lab. One extra person had come into the room. She was a tall, angular lady in jeans and a blouse. She looked official..

Chip sat the box down next to one of the lab techs and raced up to Beechcraft Bob. Chip looked scared.

"Chip? Are you okay?" Beechcraft Bob asked.

"Sir, I was passing by the radio room upstairs when I overheard something. There's been an attack...somewhere...I heard Minneapolis.."

"An attack?"

"I heard nerve gas...Soviet bomber...Minneapolis....They didn't have a good reception. I could see why. I offered to fix it...But they told me to get lost..."

"It was probably just a road gang..." one of the chem students said.

"I don't think so...If we could pick up a transmission like that from that far away," Chip said. "It has to be something big.."

Beechcraft Bob looked at Chip. The old man raised three kids. He knew if they were lying. He could read the fear in Chip's face. He heard something.

"Excuse me," Bob said. "Where's this radio room?"

Chip led Beechcraft Bob to the radio room. The two KSC student manning the radio where still there.

"Excuse me gentlemen," Bob said stridently. "My communications cadet here says you guys got a balky radio. We want to see if we can boost it..

"Uh, yes sir..." one student said.

Bob found the microphone and plugged it in with the headphones...He motioned to Chip..

The rude student pipped up. "Uh, what is that...kid doing here."

Bob looked at the student hard. "He's knows what he's doing....Chip check that wire.."

"Better watch your wallet around that one," the rude student murmurred. He figured Bob was too old to hear him. But one thing about Bob Boye, he may be old, but his eyesight is still the same as it was when he flew U-2s...and his hearing is even better.

The big man rose up from the chair.."excuse me, son.." Bob said. "What did you just say about my com officer?"

"uh-uh-uh/.."

"I heard you, son..." Bob said calmly. "You mind repeating that?"

"Well you know," the student whispered. "You know about those kind of folks."

"You mean dark blue members of Nebraska's Civil Air Patrol?"

"Well yeah," the student smiled. "Hey kid, get away from that radio.."

Bob was livid. "NEGATIVE! COM OFFICER ROCHELLE YOU STAY ON TASK!"

Bob rose up like a cobra. His stance showing more height than he actually had. He went nose to nose with the skinny 20-year old..

"Since 21 February 1984, whatever was in your pathetic wallet doesn't mean dick, sonny! You are impeding personnel representing the Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government and that is punishable offense under the Nebraska Emergency Operations Act of 1984...In short, you keep your pasty ass out of our way, and let us do our work. There's been an attack son, and I think our Emergency officials need to know that!..And you might want to consider changing your tone about some of our fellow citizens. You know what happened to those assholes that burned a cross on Turner Gill's lawn don't ya?"

The other student was sweating. "Please just shut up, Herb," he thought..

Chip peered up from the circuit-wire boards.."We're getting much better sir....Clearer transmission in the shortwave bands. How did you guys get it to work?.."

Bob grabbed the microphone still livid..."CQ CQ...This is WK74UK transmitting from Kearney State College do you copy?"

"Kearney State....where are you??? This is KC28IF Minnesota Army National Guard depot...International Falls...you read me??"

"We have you clear..zzzz...Greetings from Nebraska..."

"Nebraska?? Hell you probably have it worst than us.."

"What going on up there. We heard a transmission saying something about Nerve Gas."

"Damn Russians hit us with VX we think....They sent Bombers to Minneapolis...We got the bastards but not before the dropped that gas on us...thousands dead, as if War Day wasn't bad enough...

"Say Again? Russians???"

"Affirmative," the Minnesota troop said. "The Canadians have been fighting them for damn near a month now. A week ago out jets got in the game. The Canucks say the Russians have set up a base in the Northwest Territories...Short on jets. Short on fuel and we're still fighting a war....Sir, are you with a military outfit?"

"Somewhat," Bob said. "Wing Commander, Civil Air Patrol...Colfax County, Nebraska.

"CAP Man, eh? You CAP people are saving our asses right now. They are rotating the survivors up here.

"Listen Minnesota I want you run down everything you just told me. We're gonna write this down and run this up the combined forces command."

"Do you have a ruling authority down there?"

"Affirmative Minnesota. We have a government, and maybe able to help."

Minnesota troop gave the full rundown for the next 20 minutes. One of the students got it on paper as Chip took down the frequencies of the Minnesota troops.

"We have a lot of casualties coming in," the troop said. "How soon can somebody contact us."

"Its going to be few hours boys," Bob said. "But I'll see to it that the higher ups here in Kearney get the word, and hopefully the Governor gets the word."

"I hope so and soon. Who knows when they'll come back...The casualties are here, we have to go...We will be transmitting on the frequency for as long as we can....You copy.

"We copy Minnesota. Our prayers are with you. Nebraska out."

Bob turned the student. "You have car close by, son."

"There's CDU with a car at the main gate," he said.

"Well we need a ride to the town hall," Bob said. "We have to get this information to Governor Kerrey and fast."

"Whats the big deal," the rude student said.

"The Russians are conducting operations...in our backyard."

to be continued.

Last edited: