Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternate Balkan wars result in different great war. Alliance of Austria-Hungary, Germany, Spain and Greece beat Serbia, France, Great Britain and Russia. POD 1908 map is after peace in 1924.
Why have the Germans annexed large swaths of Africa but not the Congo which was pretty much their aim in Africa?

Hi everyone.

I am have been lurking around here for some time but I haven't really posted anything and I was wondering if I could get your advice with something I am working on.

Let us imagine that at some point in the near future, 2035 for instance, that aliens invade Earth and they succeed fairly easily. Now after twenty or some years of enslavement, they leave us alone. Whether some more powerful alien race liberates us or if they just willingly give us independence is not important, the important thing is that now that they are gone, what happens on Earth?

Now, I am working on a map myself, and I have made a lot of research regarding ethnic, linguistic and racial divisions between us humans here on Earth, but predicting how these cultures and peoples would unite in completely new countries is quite a puzzle so I am asking you guys for help.

This should go in ASB.

Bruce

Ok: this was a map request done for thefirstfleet on Deviantart http://thefirstfleet.deviantart.com/ . He has an AH Star Trek TL http://thefirstfleet.deviantart.com/art/Timeline-of-the-Polarisverse-266551249 and it's his Star Trek World of the Future: there's a united Earth government, but it's apparently a fixup sort of thing, with different states and groupings joining at different times and under different conditions, rather than a standardized arrangement like the OTL USA. The map shows the various states, federations, etc. under the Aegis of the world government.

A few notes: the US won in Vietnam in this world, Gorbachev successfully reformed the USSR (to go along with the original Star Trek's apparent belief Chekov was from the Soviet Union), WWIII was a limited nuclear war (so Europe was able to revive afterwards) in the aftermath of which a relatively untouched Hungary arose to create an Eastern European Block. The Eugenics wars also took place openly rather than secretly, and Germany while under the control of genetically modified ubermensch took over a strip of nothern Poland (and failed to give it back later). Israel got nuked in the wars, and fell to the Arabs. I suspect the Earth government is a bit HRE-ish, but Starfleet and fear of those scary aliens provide a fair degree of unity. Africa and south America are largely my fault.

Bruce

And here is the map.

Bruce

PolarisStarTrek.png

Okay so this next map to go with my wee series took me a little while. I haven't conveyed as much information as I would have liked, but if I had it would be too big or too cluttered.

--

The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland and the Faroes (tagged to the end after annexation following the German annexation of Denmark).

UK history didn't diverge that much from OTL. Aside from meddling a little bit more in the Americas (a bigger Guyana, annexing all of the Lesser Antilles, allying itself with California) Britain has pretty much followed the same route as OTL - get bigger, and bigger! AND BIGGER!

This British Empire is actually smaller than OTL's, in saying it got bigger, as it lucked out a lot when it came to certain areas. After the 1860s Britain took a little while to recover from its economic crisis, shrugging off a few colonies in the process, but they still managed to make some substantial gains in Africa. The Suez Canal is undoubtedly the most important, and East Africa is looking to be the next South Africa as far as white settlement is going.

India is a little different ITTL as well. The British did better in the west, but Siam, stronger and more capable at playing Britain and Germany off than it was between France and Britain OTL, stifled a lot of expansion in the east. Britain was, however, able to absorb Tibet into the Raj's fold, giving China a headache big enough to cause near civil war.

Britain also beat the Netherlands to Borneo, and pretty much forced the Dutch out of whatever scraps they had left. It worked out well for the British, who now have two valuable colonies in the Far East.

Western Australia, unlike the east, opted out of dominionship; they are not populous, the mines aren't as valuable as they once were, and the two sides are growing more culturally different every year.

On the bright side, Australia is a lot more conservationally-minded ITTL, and the dwindling numbers of nail-tail wallabies and thylacines are steadily on the rise. Similarly, the emu was reintroduced to Tasmania after being virtually wiped out in the 1880s.

United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland and the Faroes.png

More of my absolutely pointless exercises in paint.net.

...Yeah. The Dutch end up with Somalia and a few other bits someway. I apologize for the size.
afrikaneerlande.png

The World of the Glorious Kaiserreich, Year is 1920, 2 years after the end of the Great War.

and yes before you ask, those are Communist rebels in France.

and with the German China, yeah, I know that's stupid, I just didn't know what to replace it with.

Untitled7.png

This will have pretty major consequences on Islam. Paleoclimatological evidence suggests that warmer periods with no polar ice coincide with a wetter Sahara...
Nice map btw
Yeah, it definitely will, though Islam isn't the only thing that would experience major consequences. A rise in temperatures that result in a 60 meter rise of sea levels would probably move the desert north, or at least make the northern Mediterranean coasts even drier. At the same time it will also drown much of the North European Plain. Combine the two and you have a Europe that's very different. And I haven't even talked about what happens in the east...

Exceedingly nice, very good-looking map. With the warmer climate, seems that Scandinavia would have more agriculturally useable land, bigger populations, and be in a better position to colonize N. America: it seems too from the language on the map that we have a unified Norden, as well. Othert maps from this world would be most appreciated.
It's a bit of a case of 'you win some you lose some'. Much of Denmark is under water, reduced to islands off the coast of Scandinavia, but on the other hand the higher temperatures would result in better farming in what's left + the rest of Scandinavia. It's also a question of the immediate neighbors losing even more.

PS - over ten times the population of OTL Greenland: one wonders how many Icelanders there are.
My idea was that many of the Greenlanders are actually Icelanders that decided to continue west, whenever a volcano made life unsustainable. Iceland is more of a giant Faroe Islands, just another jump on the way to Greenland.

It'd be fantastic if someone were willing to get this on a Polar Projected map of the world.
That's what I was planning to do next. I don't know why, but I like maps that show the region more as it is, instead of just spread out across the top of a world map. :)

Ps. Thank you to everyone that liked my map.

I've been working on this dratted thing for a week now. Hope you guys like it. It was another idea for the "Blink and You'll Miss It" contest a while ago. I finally came around to putting it in map form.

Here's the story:

"In 1900, the Finnish province of Uusimaa, Estonia and Livonia become tired of Russian rule and decide to start off the new century independent. And so, the three declare their independence from the Russian Empire as the Finnic Federation, of Finnia.

Even though they are quickly reannexed by Russia, their declaration of independence helps bring the Russian Empire to an end much faster. The three regain independence after 1918, but in their OTL forms: Uusimaa within Finland, Estonia by itself and Livonia within Latvia."

finnic_federation__finnia__by_intrepidtee-d4y16ei.png

I've been working on this dratted thing for a week now. Hope you guys like it. It was another idea for the "Blink and You'll Miss It" contest a while ago. I finally came around to putting it in map form.
That's a lovely map, and I have to ask- what font is that? It's so perfect!

Alternate Balkan wars result in different great war. Alliance of Austria-Hungary, Germany, Spain and Greece beat Serbia, France, Great Britain and Russia. POD 1908 map is after peace in 1924.

Why does Belgium not exist but still has colonies?

More of my absolutely pointless exercises in paint.net.

...Yeah. The Dutch end up with Somalia and a few other bits someway. I apologize for the size.

Why do you make it so gigantic? If it's the size of the basemap, there is a resize tool that's apt for getting it down to a manageable size. You'll find it under "Image", or press Ctrl+R.

Status
Not open for further replies.