Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Here's my dodgy one:

The Cardinality of Carthage

The Carthage Cardinality has the distinction of being the last Church-run state to come under secular authority...
The St Augustine Basilica was founded in 1333 by the Templars during the so-called African Crusade led by James III of Sicily and was part of Pope Celestine's attempts to depoliticise the Templar Order by providing them a state outside Christian Europe while simultaneously returning Christianity to former Roman lands...
The Templars's efforts to expand their Ordinality [ie Order-State] across North Africa were thwarted not only by the Merinids of Morocco but also by the growing divide between the Cistercian and Dominican branches of the Order itself. Things came to a head during the Papal Schism as each branch, and often chapter, began supporting opposing Popes...
The legendary Siege of St Augustine provided a rallying point for the Reformationists - and it was no doubt a wish to avoid this that led to the Cardinality's surrender 4 centuries later...
The Concilium at Rome established a parliament of Cardinals - the Papal Synod - and disbanded the military orders. Some secularised, becoming local barons or joined the Papal Guard, others joined the Church hierarchy. The Master of Sicily became the first Cardinal of Carthage and thus responsible for the Church in North Africa...
The Cardinality formed a unique governance within the former Templar Ordinality as it consolidated under the Sicilian Crown: the Church and secular princes held joint jurisdiction except that the City of Carthage came solely under the Cardinal's authority with its twin city Tunis under the King's...
The Cardinality of Carthage came to an end with the 2nd Reformation that saw the Western Catholic Church lose its remaining temporal powers.

The Flag
The flag is based on that of the former Ordinality [of The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ & of the Temple of Solomon] but with the Templar Cross replaced by crossed keys & cardinal coronet.

CardinalityOfCarthage.PNG

The Episcopal Republic of New York

In the aftermath of the failure of the United States Constitution, Samuel Provoost, Episcopal Bishop of New York, Seized Temporal power over the Republic of New York.

The Flag

The flag of the Episcopal Church, with Four Cross-Bottonies (representing the Districts of New Jersey, Erie, Albany, and Hudson,) and the Great Seal of the Republic of New York.

Episcopal Kingdom of New York.png

Last edited:
Fifth Monarchist England

Just something quick I made up for an English Commonwealth which fell under the control of English Civil War Sect thefifth monarchy men, a group that believed that Jesus was going to return to rule the world as king. In reality they were influential but nowhere near strong enough to be the dominant force in the Commonwealth and they quickly disappeared but I suppose its possible that if they managed to become a cohesive force they could have made a better attempt to resist the return of monarchy and made a bigger impact on the history of England.

Inspired by lots of English Civil War flags I've read about; it eschews any 'national' symbols of the former earthly monarchy in favour of purely religous symbols. The purple colours stand for (divine) monarchy, the roman numerals I-IV stand for the Babylonian, Persian, Greek and Roman empires, replaced by the fifth true empire of God, represented by the 'V'. The lion is the Lion of Judah while the qoute is something repeated lots in the bible, and something commonly quoted by religous-revolutionary groups during the Civil War, a prophecy relating to Judah and God's chosen people. The exact quote is from Genesis ('Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, you are gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?')

fifth monarchist puritan commonwealth millenarian theocracy.png

After the sack of Rome, for ages the center of the one true and honorable faith, the Vicar of God and heart of Christendom were slain by the bastard French and their protestant demons, those few great men of the Church, god-chosen to be saved from the pyres that consumed those who stood against heresy, fled the burning city, the once gleaming jewel of Italia, taking across the sea to the shores of Hispania, those few relics and precious symbols remaining of their once gleaming home, the heart of the true faith, saved from the northern barbarians and the whored King of the bloodied throne, believing their church to be safe under the last Habsburg king, last defender of the Faith in Europe, but alas, it was not to be.

As the dogs of hell marched across their former home, burning the once rich lands to dust and ash, before turning back and trampling over the reaming states of God, before growling and hacking at the gates into Hispania, even those great mountains of the North relenting to the devils and spawn of evil incarnate, the last princes of the church convened and asked the true God for salvation, pleading with him for salvation, that humanity was not lost to evil, that the true believers still fought on but needed his guidance to save those faithful left. For days they prayed and knelt, pouring their souls into pleas as even the last true King joined their prayers, as the demonic French and cruel Germanic tribes swarmed across what little remained of the last bastion of Christendom, begging for a savoir to repel the hordes of hell and protect the faith, until finally, he replied to their anguished souls.

Under the dawning light of a autumns dawn, beneath the falling leaves of a mighty oak, did the fated prince and savoir arise from amongst their own number, a man of pure heart and mind, burning with the light of Heaven and the voice of the creator, the great St. John de Lugo, arose and took his place amongst mortal men as Gods voice. For on that night and day he saw Gods answer to his children’s prayer, a great star in the heavens, appearing where none had being before, speaking to his soul, giving him the knowledge of Gods will. For he related to the other princes and faithful followers that God had showed him the path to save the faith from evil, to save Gods chosen people, and he related Gods will unto them, for them to go west as the ancient kings had done in the deserts of the Orient, to create a home in New Spain, a land of riches and prosperity where the faith can grow and renew away from the hellfire and sin that spread across Europe. And as he spoke to them, the princes and King became enthralled and their hearts lifted, for not only did they know of their salvation, but of seeing God once again on the earthly plane, and did make John the leader of the Faith, the new Vicar of Christ, to lead all the chosen and faithful of Europe and Man to a new home, a new Rome, a renewed Eden on Earth.

Extract from the 14th edition of the Second Roman Bible, Book 1 - Second Exodus
Published in 1854, New Rome, Greater Pontifical Union

Reconstructed flag of the Second Exodus and the City State of New Rome:

Copiadenewrome32.png

Last edited:
I would be more interested if the apocalyptic scenario could take place in the past rather than the modern day. Maybe I'm alone here, but I rather prefer a scenario like the one in Peshawar Lancer over one with the usual doom and gloom of post-apocalyptic scenarios taking place in the modern era.

Another naff one :rolleyes:

Flag of the Judgedom of Hills of Bryan

The flag is a blue field bearing the Bloody Wheel of St Wistun.
St Wistun is a legendary figure in the Judgedom and is said to be the brother of Ken the 6th Judge of the Hills of Bryan.
St Wistun took the form of a white wolf to fight Jumaine the Nasty, the Vampire Lord of the Hollow Cause, during the Cataclysm and was therefore blessed by God with the ability to spit fire.
So much blood was spilled that Wistun's coat was forever stained brown in patches.

The Judgedom is centred on the werewolf town of Winnista-upon-Tim which contains St Wistun's Abbey.

Judgedom of Hills Of Bryan.PNG

Last edited:
id also liked to know whether the reason why no-one else has bothered to try is because they think the challenge is too boring, or the fact that i posted it?

cos ive seen as open challenges before, and people have done things for them, so...what is it?

id also liked to know whether the reason why no-one else has bothered to try is because they think the challenge is too boring, or the fact that i posted it?

cos ive seen as open challenges before, and people have done things for them, so...what is it?

I said mine, others seem to have end-of-school-year preocupations.

extending it again then

ending closes the 1st of may 8 am (gmt)

dunno if thats against the rules for it to happen twice , but theres gotta be more than one otherwise its pointless

if it is, then someone else take over

extending it again then

ending closes the 1st of may 8 am (gmt)

dunno if thats against the rules for it to happen twice , but theres gotta be more than one otherwise its pointless

if it is, then someone else take over

That's not against the rules. The timeframes are rather flexible. I never made any rules for what happens if there's less than two entries, because I thought it'd never happen.

If I were you, I'd think of another challenge if the extension fails, or make it open to suggestions.

I said mine, others seem to have end-of-school-year preocupations.

That's not against the rules. The timeframes are rather flexible. I never made any rules for what happens if there's less than two entries, because I thought it'd never happen.

If I were you, I'd think of another challenge if the extension fails, or make it open to suggestions.

While winning is nice I'd rather it not be by default so I agree with extending it.

I think the main reasons for the lack of entries this time are:

1) Most entrants are students and thus have extra coursework and revision
2) Basing on a present-day apocalypse made it too restrictive

The 2nd one definitely restricted what I could think of and even then mine is stretching things a little since it could be interpreted as happening during WWII ;)

2) Basing on a present-day apocalypse made it too restrictive

The 2nd one definitely restricted what I could think of and even then mine is stretching things a little since it could be interpreted as happening during WWII ;)

its not present day...its the future...the even happens in our near future (within 10-100 years) yes, but the flags can be set at any point after said apocalypse...

But anyways, extending to the 6th of may now...think giving everyone til sunday will at least net in another couple...hopefully

but after that, if theres no others, then well scrap it, and go with a random one

“The Rockies Rebellion was the largest military engagement in the Western Commonwealths history , since its unification in 105 NCE (after the Coastal wars) until its military support in defense of the Tulsa Trade Commune (along with the Free State of New Colorado) against the New Atlantic Territories in the Siege of Tulsa (437 NCE).
The Rockies Rebellion was caused by several factors: prolonged and slow expansion into the then Eastern Rockies territories of Montaña and Wyohming, the naturalization of the 12th and 14th Ranger legions, trade restrictions and influence from the Coalition of the City-States of the Mississippi Ravine, and covert influence from the (then unknown and covert) N.A.T (largely in the form of Jerrold Capell, N.A.T agent, commander of the 12th Ranger legion, and later, First Chancellor of the Eastern Federation).
During the Clarkson Presidency, discontent rose further with the loss of back pay to the legions east of the Rockies (the aforementioned pair along with the 13th, 17th and 20th, along with the Eastern Brigade (Commonwealth civilian Auxiliary), along with rising taxation and civilian unrest at the lack of progress the Commonwealth senate was making with infrastructure and political organization amongst the various cities.
This culminated in the Billingston riots, sparked by Jerrold Capell (whose job it was to weaken the Western Commonwealths), and leading to the deaths of dozens of commonwealth officials and immigrants, throughout the eastern frontier territories. Ultimately many of the legions and native civilians joined his cause, proclaiming the breakaway of the eastern frontiers to form the Eastern Federation.
Although the Eastern Federation was backed by many of the trade communes, and had ample resources and a strong military presence, it rarely engaged in pitched battles, preferring to use skirmish tactics to weaken W.C forces and provoke uprising elsewhere. This lead to several Rocky cities to fall in quick succession and allowed the Eastern Federation to even capture more several key cities and positions west of the Rockies, but ultimately it lead to a drawn out conflict, with little headway either way, the resulting bog down leading N.A.T higher-ups to force Jerrold to act.
And act he did. Using the strained tensions between the W.C and Free State of New Colorado (who saw Clarkson and the rebellion as proof that the W.C was a weak nation) he inspired many Wyohmites to launch a offensive south as well, playing on the historic nationalism of the people in the area (who had lost land and territory fighting against the Five Families), he moved his legionnaires south and used them to bait the 10th and 4th legions to attack over the New Coloradians borders, thinking it would draw the ruling Families against the W.C. It did draw them into the war, but not on his side.
Unbeknownst to Jerrold or the commanders of the 17th, several members of their forces had being captured, including Lt. Commander Sunder, revealing that the attack had being orchestrated by the Eastern Federation. This lead to the first joint action by the W.C and F.S.NC against Jerrold’s forces, quickly turning the once stalemated and undeceive war into a complete curb stomping against the E.F. Whiting a few short months, much of the E.F had being taken back by the W.C (with the F.S.N.C gaining several new townships in the south), and had surrounded the remnants of Jerrold’s forces inside the capital of Billingston. Following days of constant bombardment and shell fire, the city’s remaining commanders surrendered after Jerrold disappeared (according to survivors he had rallied several units to push back in the south of the city, but had vanished within the night), allowing the commanding forces of the W.C to enter the city and reclaim it for the Commonwealths.
Following the defeat, and the end of the Clarkson Presidency (having lost his second term bid due to the lack of support and public perception of his mismanagement of the rebellion) former General, and leader of the 9th Ranger Legions, who retook Billingston, Braxton Hayes was elected President of the W.C and badgered the Senate into reforming their policies concerning expansion and foreign diplomacy, as well as implementing the military reformation program, to resolve several major issues within the Commonwealths army, most of which lead to the rebellion in the first place. His polices would later pave the road for the annexation of the former Eastern Federation into full commonwealths, promoting the quicker buildup of infrastructure (most largely left damaged after the war), dealing with the grievances of the populations and cracking down on the City-States further east, removing their strangle hold on the eastern side of the Rockies. These policies would also lead to greater relations with the F.S.N.C and greater Commonwealth influence along the great plains, unifying many of the smaller towns and communes into a greater alliance, something the .NA.T had tried to prevent with their interference, and would ultimately be the reason why they failed to push past the Mississippi Ravine during the their war with Tulsa.”

Flag, with caption reads:

“The Bison Flag of the Rockies Rebellion”
Captured from Billingston, Eastern Federation
16th June, 373 NCE (2992 OCE)

On permanent loan from the estate of General Commander, John S. Hill

Museum of Commonwealth History, Capital district, Klamath Falls City

billingsflag.png

Last edited: