Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

Thanks for the feedback. :)

A lot of what I wrote on Canada are based on rumors that surviving forces at Cold Lake gave the crew of the E-4....It's also a beacon..

The Protect and Survive universe is looking for a few good Canadians!

Hey Dragon, how about it...Tell Canada's postwar story! :)

There's also another rumor floating around...A very prominent group of Canadians who wear orange and blue survived the war...and are helping refugees at a camp near Kamloops.

One of those helping is considered a "Great One". :)

I might think about it, though the setting may be largely within Edmonton and Central/Northern Alberta. This is the part of Canada I grew up in and know best.

I know exactly what you mean by those in "orange and blue" :D I'm a fan of that group.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the crew of Tango Delta 561 and also the Canadian pilots!

Canadian Dragon...if you do write a Protect and Survive spinoff, don't put Colin Thatcher anywhere near the head of a surviving government (the reason: look up the JoAnn Thatcher murder on Google. If he didn't do it, he masterminded it.)?

"The Great One" surviving? Interesting.

One of the last posts in page 53 mentioned that the highway bridges in Omaha were knocked out and was wondering what hit them.

Ah, that'd be my post, then. :)

You don't suppose they'd target them separately? Maybe drop a 100kt warhead on each just to make sure?

Just for kicks, I dropped that 25MT blast on Offutt using this sim (hat-tip to Jan for bringing it up):

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?lat=41.115581834605784&lng=-95.91388067626951&zm=9&kt=25000

And it shows 4.6psi overpressure over the area where I-80 and I-480 cross the Missouri River. I guess I have no idea whether that by itself would be sufficient to destroy either of those bridges.

There's also the fact that (as I pointed out in the "When The Wind Blew" thread) the laydown on Offutt would seem likely to be a ground-burst,so as to be sure to dig out all the bunkers and utterly destroy its utility as a base.

Depends on whether the overpressure is straight down, or hits the bridge side on as a blast wave. A bridge should stand up to vertical pressure quite well, after all that is what it is designed to do. Large amount of horizontal pressure are a different matter, though bridges are designed to stand up to a lot of lateral movement.

HAPPY STATEHOOD DAY, NEBRASKA

In celebration of Statehood Day (March 1)
Tonight...There will be an update....and I'll warn you up front..it will be a long update...

The snowstorm is hitting. The news is coming. There's Floggers and Foxbats and Bears (oh, my)

That and more to come.

And Scottyboyswa..Welcome to the Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America.

Land Of Flatwater: This War Isn't Over

sorry for the delay -- due to a lot of computer formatting issues between work and home.

And now...The beginning of a snowstorm..:)

A camp outside Wayne, Nebraska -- 5:35pm Central Standard Time -- Thursday March 8, 1984

WATCHDOG -- BREAK --- EAGLE TO MOVE TOWARD NORTH BEND ALONG WITH OUR CAPTURED BROTHERS THEY SAY 2000 HOURS. -- 14 WORDS -- HOLDING FOR RESPONSE -- 10 MINUTES.

Tyler Tyles stroked his chin. Merle, his Lieutenant was with him. "What does it say?"

Tyles answered, "Randall...They are moving him from Fremont to some other location...North Bend.."

"Why does it matter," Merle asked. "We're due to run better with you than him.."

Tyles explained patiently. "There's a lot of loyalty to Randall. We're still fractured. The fact that we have eyes and ears in Fremont is something we shouldn't lose. Soon Merle, we have to be on the move. We cannot be if we are divided. And there's many here who feel we left Randall behind. The movement is not about one man. The movement is about a people. Send a response, and then Merle you head to Fremont. Oversee things. I want Randall alive. I want our brother's back...And send a message to FARRAH....I want the Mayor alive...for now."

"Why the Mayor, sir. He's no good to us."

Tyles smiled. "Lets just say I want FARRAH focused on the new mission..Not her own."

"Yes, sir!" Merle said crisply."

BEACON TO WATCHDOG -- BREAK -- RECEIVED ORGANIZE BROTHERS FOR RESCUE OPERATION -- BEACON TO DEPLOY TO INITIAL TARGET AREA TO OVERSEE OPS -- WILL CONTACT FARRAH --CHANGE IN ORDERS TO NEW OPS -- 14 WORDS.

The Northwest Territories -- 4:35pm Mountain Standard Time-- Thursday March 8, 1984

A group of soldiers and technicians surround a 2 ton military truck. The flatbed carries a launch assembly for surface-to-air missiles. The temperature was below freezing as the monitored a small radar screen. They have contact with a group of targets.

"Bor'ba s pozharami k kontaktu radiolokatora rukovoditelja aviaotrjada… podtverdila… 40 kilometrov na " rubriki 102…"
(""Fire control to squadron leader...radar contact confirmed...40 kilometers at heading 102...")

Miles ahead of of makeshift launcher, the message was received by the flight leader..

" Polucheno… my imeem vozdushnuju cel' v vizirovanii… podgotovljaja vkljuchit'… "
(""Received...We have aerial target in sight... preparing to engage...")

Colonel Arkady Chariev, Voenno-Vozdushnye Sily Sovetskaya Soyuza. Chelyabinsk, RFSR.

Colonel Chariev is not a likable man. He is cold, ruthless. The flyers under his command say he has a computer where a heart should be. Disliked for his disposition, and his family tree. His uncle is member of the Soviet general staff.

Some say he would be in the KGB if he didn't love flying. Its about the only thing in life he truly loves, and he's good at his job. He is entrusted with control of Mikoyan-Gurevich Product No. 84...In the imperialist west, it is known as the MiG-25 "Foxbat". Such distinctions are not freely given in Soviet Union.

He leads a convoy of 10 jets...4 foxbats, 3 MiG-23's and three junior officers in MiG-21. They are looking for "intruders", interested given that they are the intruders. Surviving Soviet forces, in the land of one of their enemies...

Chariev, to Fire Control...we have the monitored...do you have positive lock.

"Yes comrade colonel..."

"Fire on my mark," he said mechanically. "Three. Two...One....PUSK!!"

On command three surface-to-air raced into the cold gray skies...

"Radar contact....12 miles...closing...3 blips.."

"Three, Eight...go with Six...check it......"

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

"Fuck! We're being painted!" Six yelled.

Three was equally surprised. "Here? Painted?"

"All Moose..weapons hot...somebody's dropping a puck."

"We have SAMs, sir...three coming in..."

Moose 6...I also have more target...reading five....no six....possible fighters...

"Moose 4, Moose 6....Can you get a fix on them!!!"

"Affirmed Moose leader...heading in this line from the Northeast....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

"Moose 6! Come again! MOOSE 6!!!!"

Moose 6 was no more. The incoming SAM hit him nose on.

Moose 4 crackled into Moose Leader's radio. "SIR! We got bogies...A LOT OF THEM!"

Moose 4 put on his oxygen mask..He and another Canforce fighter readied. They saw the enemy. Soviets...over Canada.

Lt. Colonel Chariev locked a missile on one of the CF-5s. At the same time, Colonel McKellen jinked and engaged one of the Foxbats surrounding the leader, as he drew his bead, McKellen roared through his radio..

"Moose Leader to Canadians... IT'S HOCKEY NIGHT!"

Colonel Chariev had one word for his squadron.. "Draka!" ("Fight")

The radio was a mix of Canadian English and Russian. The MiGs tangled with the CF-5s and newer CF-20s in the group of Canadian fighters.

Moose 4 was in a CF-5 and in a mix with a faster MiG-23. The Soviet pilot had him, but Four was steady and cool, He inverted his plane and banked...the opposition was fooled by the move....Four was rolling away as the Soviet's cannon fire went wide right..

Moose Seven shook his pursuer and found the stray MiG that Moose four lost.."Merci Four...you just set me up.."

"MOOSE SEVEN...FOX TWO!"

The sidewinder raced away from Moose Seven's CF-20 Tigershark and gored the Flogger..Canada 1, Soviet Union 1.

Miles to the East... Colonel McKellen was firing at the Foxbat he engaged, at the same time, the Soviet's wingman was trying to engage him. A second Canadian, Moose Eight, in a CF-5 jumped in the fight.

"Sir, I'm picking up the tail!"

"MOOSE EIGHT....FOX ONE!!!"

The sky filled with Atolls, Sidewinders and Sparrows. The Soviets lost another one...but got Moose Nine as payback.

Colonel Chariev replaced the wingman that Moose Eight ripped from the sky, and ruthlessly chased Moose Eight in revenge.."

Cannon fire ripped through Moose Eight's cockpit..."Punchin' out...ZZZZZZZZZ"

Moose Eight did eject...with cannon round in his shoulder and center mass. He was dead before his parachute hit the cold Canadian tundra.

Colonel McKellen had the Foxbat in his gunsight...He yelled as he squeezed the trigger of his guns..The Foxbat never had a chance..It took several hits and spun downward...The spiral to death ending in fire on a cold mountain slab.

McKellen rolled away as the next MiG-25 tried to wedge in behind him. Neither knew it, but the two flight leaders of both sides were engaged...

"Moose Leader to CL Main...We have engaged Soviet fighters, 4,6 mark Delta...

"Copy Moose Leader..Do you need reinforcements."

"Can you spare any?"

McKellen sharply climbed and turned barely missing the Soviet opposition...Chariev's cold demeanor turned white hot. Most of his air-to-air experience was against overmatched Chinese before he was pulled from the border front for what was called an "emergency mission". He had knocked down 5 of the American's B-52s lumbering through the Soviet motherland. His five kills not nearly enough to stop the mushroom blooms across Russia. He volunteered for this last gasp deemed by a surviving Soviet politburo in a bunker somewhere.

Chariev was in the enemy's stronghold...and his opposition was his equal.

CFB Cold Lake, Alberta. same time..

The Canadian technicians and the staff of the NEACP E-4 hiding here listen in to the radio chatter.

"Guess all those rumors of stray Soviets in Northern Canada are true," the Canforce Major said.

"Sound like it isn't strays," Captain Harper said. "If I heard right...the initial attack was SAMs..This has to be halfway organized for them to have SAMs here.. "

"Hmmm," CINC-SAC thought. "For the Russians to have SAMs and fighters, they had to have put together something big. Something they have to protect. They have fighters, and possibly a lift capability."

"So how did they hit Medicine Hat?" one of the tech sargeants asked.

"It could have been a SCUD," the RCAF major said. "Or, air launched cruise. An Antonov could easily carry some SCUDs...and could have room for...

CINC-SAC finished the thought. "troops."

"Sirs," Captain Harper said. "Who do we know who has survived? We need to get coded transmissions out to people know...And General, we may have to consider saddling up and finding a new place to be. If they find NEACP here, you'll find cruise missiles coming here."

Good Evening Nebraska... It is 6pm Central Standard Time....And here is the new at this hour. Repeating an earlier emergency message. The Continuous Emergency Government has called a fallout warning for the state of Nebraska effective 9pm this evening. It has been confirmed that coming snowstorm has breached a number of major fallout areas. Radioactivity will reach increased level through the weekend. In response to this emergency, the CEG and the Department of Agriculture have authorize the release of emergency food stocks within the control point areas. These distributions will commence at 6:30pm. For other areas, local CAP unit will coordinate food drops in Wayne, Albion, McCook and the Lincoln Qurantine zone. The distributions will run from 6:30pm-8:30pm at 9pm the fallout emergency will be in effect and all control areas will be under strict curfew and quarantine regulations.

BASE ALPHA/Geneva, Nebraska 6:02pm Central Standard Time.

"Governor, I don't like this last-minute change in plan," Ag Secretary Newell barked.

"This is going to be a mess, Bob," Brigadier General Griswold said.

Governor Kerrey wasn't fazed. "Gentlemen, we don't have many options. The control points were going to defy the order not distribute because of the storm anyway. We have a massive storm coming, we have this nasty epidemic. Thousands of people sick and a lot of people have gone a week or two without food. We can't wait anymore. We need to release some food to help maintain order if nothing else."

"The problem is this will bite us in the ass later, sir," Newell said. "We'll have to downrate intake figures again...I'm talking maybe 1,000 calories for everybody.."

"1,000??? HOW THE HELL CAN I PROTECT THE STATE WITH TROOPS ONLY GETTING A 1,000 CALORIES A DAY?"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Newell shot back. "Your combined forces are living high on the hog as it is! You think I don't get report of how NCF units are hiding food and trading food for drugs...and other things..."

Grizz chested up to Newell in a threatening way, "What are you trying to say?"

Newell went eyeball to eyeball with the commander. "What I'm saying is the civilian leadership better watch their back around you."

The Governor snarled at both, "We cannot have this behavior among the staff. Calm down both of you. Steve, this is the action we must take. Make plans for contingency at a total limit of 1,200 calories day as an emegrency measure. Make it work."

Newell stomped away. He wasn't happy. No one was.

"His attitude is going to kill us, " the Brigadier General said.

"Actually I'm glad he's with us," the Governor answered. "Steve Newell is the executives version of Ernie Chambers. He keeps us all honest."

"Could you imagine if that sonabitch was on the emergency council?"

"I wouldn't wanna think about it." the Governor laughed. "But Grizz, seriously, I've gotten reports from two control points of national guard people roughing up citizens, trading official scrip and weapons for drugs...and girls."

"I've gotten reports of this, too," Grizz sighed. "I expected this from CDU people not national guard."

"Get this handled, Grizz...Now," the Governor said. "The last thing we need right now is people believing that there is no law."

"I can't fucking control everything, Governor. I'm here and I have troops all over the place. That is why we have leaders in the field. Some of those leader unfortunately aren't their job.....You know Bob once this storm passes, I need to get out this bubble..."

"Shit, we all do," the Governor lamented. "Once we get into spring, we have to see this state. Dr. Suhr is right about that."

"Oh, Governor...something important, about an hour ago, the forces took some Air Force people into custody. A bomber recovery team from USAF landed in Lincoln.

"Bomber recovery team?" the Governor said. "Like there's any bombers left?"

"My people there are going to brief them. With your permission, I like to get a couple more personnel involved in this."

"Who did you have in mind."

"Grizz smiled. "Agents Toussaint Clayton and Frank McGonigal."

The Governor saw right through Grizz. "This wouldn't be about your 'special branch' idea wouldn't it?"

"Governor, Clayton knows interrogations."

"Clayton knows a lot of things you don't want to know."

"Governor, he'll also know how to get as much information from these guys. Things like how we can get more fuel, ammo, food. If there is a surviving federal government we can leverage these guys to get things we need."

"Uh, Brigadier...these guys are OUR guys."

"In my eyes, they aren't ours unless they are Nebraskans, and I haven't heard anybody claim to be our national authority yet. They could be Soviets for all we know. This war isn't over, sir."

"Fine," the Governor said. "Get 'em...besides...I know they are already there."

Griswold smiled wolfishly.

"There's not a move that gets made by any of you, that I don't know about," the Governor said.

Colfax County Double Circle Co-op/FEMA-NEMA food distribution point/ Schyuler, Nebraska -- 6:35pm Central Standard Time

The official annoucement was at 6, but the Sheriff had send out instructions to the country a couple of hours before. A large line briskly moved through as people got their rations.

Ed and Rick monitor as their wives go through the line. All men were deputized for the distribution. Ed and Rick were guarding the line, with M-16s loaded.

The CDUs were greeted with smiles. They were neighbors and friends. The national guard were seen as official.

Two women talking in the line caused a small gap in the line. A national guardsman came up to them pointing his weapon. "No talking keep the line up, move it hens!"

"Excuse yourself young man," the older woman said.

The young troop stayed beligerent. "Move up the line, or lose your place in it."

"Did you mother teach you manners.."

"The troop drew his weapon, "Remove yourself from line and hand over your scrip..now.."

"I will not.."

Two other troops came over. A commotion was starting..

CDUs also made their way to the place in the line. "Hey Miss Hansen," Rick said cheerfully. "How's everything...Is there a problem here."

"Hi Rick," she said. "This rude young man is trying to take my ration cards away..."

"Miss Hansen you all just head on.."

"Excuse me, they were breaking the line.."

"Oh save it soldier boy, they were just being old ladies talking. Everything alright. They'll get their rations and go on. Just cool it."

Rick leaned closer to the young troop. "If I catch you drawing a weapon on any of my neighbors again I will shoot you. You may be the national guard, but this is Schuyler, and we take care of our own here. You and your toy soldiers remember that."

Rick glared at the younger troop hard. It was a glare of anger...and if recognition.

"I know that boy," Rick thought...

He also noticed a small, fading tattoo on the troopers wrist...it was T with a thunderbolt on it. It was something Rick hoped not to see again.

NCF Command Post/Bob Devaney Sports Center -- 7:05pm Central Standard Time

Toussaint Clayton, dressed in combat fatigues, walked through the door with a group of soldiers. His hardened face smiled the second he saw Frank McGonigal, also in fatigues.

"They called you for this too, eh JARHEAD"

"I've been waiting on you son," Frank said.

"How's your daughter?"

"She still a little skittish," Frank said. "She's been through a lot, but she's doing alright. They have a school going now there, Agent. They say that they have to set up more...Give the kids some normalcy."

"Like things are going to ever be normal," Clayton said.

"Normal's a relative term, Green Beret."

"Any idea why they called us?"

"I was going to ask you this one Frank. I was told this came from the very top. Something about interrogation."

The ranking officer ran it down to both just outside the basketball locker room. The two men walked inside.

They found haggard, tired, men in flight suits devouring food like they'd never seen food before. They were under guard, but at that moment they didn't notice. They just notice cuts of Nebraska beef. A taste they thought they'd never have again.

"Excuse me, men," Clayton said. "I'm Special Agent Clayton..He's Special Agent McGonigal -- Nebraska Combined Forces.."

The ranking officer turned to them...Major Riley Denton, United States Air Force...

Denton's accent was decidedly midwestern, "Where you from Major?"

"I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin, sir."

"Where were you stationed."

"Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota...Fifth Bomb Wing. We are a Bomber Recovery Unit."

"What brought you to Nebraska"

"A lack of fuel," Denton said. "We were scouting for abandoned areas, roadways anywhere we can land a BUFF and service it. I was amazed we could land a plane that big here."

"We don't get too many Galaxys here in Nebraska," Frank said. "Anyway, why would we need to service bombers."

"Because we are still hitting them and they are still hitting us," Major Denton said...

RCAF Emergency Forward Area..near Red Deer, Alberta -- same time..

Colonel McKellen landed his CF-20, and parked it in a flightline of an abandoned highway. He left with 10 planes...Only four came back...About the same ratio for the Russians.

McKellen's mind still raced back to battle. The furious dogfight. The Russian pilot was good. It was a rousing fight.

"We will meet again, mate," he thought. "Count on that."

A makeshift base in the Northwest Territories -- same time

Lieutenant General Vasily Igorevich Kuprin, Voenno-Vozdushnye Sily Sovetskaya Soyuza. Yekaterinberg, RFSR.

Lieutenant General Kuprin has the smarts to command that belies his age. One of the youngest staff commanders, Kuprin was sent to Soviet Far East as part of the forces against the Chinese. In the panicked run-up to the war, he was placed on the command staff of an emergency expeditionary force. That force was now placed on the steppes of Northern Canada. But even a dutiful man like Kuprin wondered why.

"Colonel," Kuprin asked. "What happened up there. Who shot at you?"

"Canadians," Cheriev answered. "We got maybe 5 or 6 of them. They took down about as many of us. We fired our sam at them because they were getting too close."

"Your orders where to engage them Colonel in the air, NOT FIRE THE SAMS!!!"

"Why waste aerial assets when we can hit them from a longer range and not risk us, General. I thought they'd run. They're Canadians and they do not wish to fight.."

Kuprin wasn't pleased with terse response. "I have six fellow Soviet pilots who didn't come back who are of a different opinion Colonel...Dismissed."

"Fucking effeminate Yekaterinberg princess," Cheriev mumbled.

"You were saying comrade colonel?" Kuprin raised an eyebrow. "Something you wish to say?"

"No sir,"

Cheriev stalked off.

"Why do you put up with that man," the staff officer said. "He's a KGB man dressed in military clothes. He's insolent and counter-revolutionary. Lacking in proper Soviet discipline."

"He's also the best pilot in this misbegotten command," Kuprin lamented. "And because of who his family is, I have to tread lightly."

"I know," the staff officer said. "His uncle is supposedly on General Staff.."

Kuprin looked at the staff officer. "His uncle IS the Soviet General Staff.."

Bob Devaney Sports Center/Lincoln, Nebraska -- 7:20pm Central Standard Time

"After the initial attacks the Bombers started coming back," Denton continued. We had a lot more come back then we thought. They told us, we hit a lot of Soviet bases and the missle sites. The sub pens, everything we could hit. But there were a lot we didn't get the first time."

"The Soviet had more reserves than we thought. When they retreated from the Persian Gulf they ran back home or towards Cam Ranh Bay. One of our B-52 had to fly to ice that. They had missile subs there. The Soviet retreated to smaller targets. They invaded Iran and China, and they never left Afghanistan. The Soviets pulled a lot of forces back after they went nuclear on Europe."

"What about here," Clayton asked. "If you've been flying around the country...what have you seen.."

Denton swallowed hard. "We aren't as bad off the Soviet Union...But this country is torn up pretty bad...It's scary out there brother...I guess I'd better begin with Cleveland...

"Cleveland?" Frank asked.

"Yeah," Major Denton said. "It's probably the largest city in the world now. It didn't get hit."

"The Soviets had to wipe out something there. Industry there...Wright-Patterson is near there isn't it?" Frank asked.

"Yes, they got Wright-Patterson, but that's Dayton. Cleveland's along the lakefront...It wasn't hit."

"Okay, so when did you guys get to Cleveland?"

Early morning 22nd February we landed there, surprised to find bombers there . We had a lot of at that airport along the lake. From what we heard there were missiles flying.

"Did you get to see the city?"

"A little..It was a crazy scene. Lots of refugees from the eastern seaboard. City police overwhelmed. State national guard was there though. From what we could tell that area wasn't hit heavily of course, we could say the same for the east..A lot of Pittsburgh people fleeing there. New York, Philadelphia...and troops.."

Clayton broke in through the story..."So is the federal government in Cleveland?"

"No," Major Denton replied. "From what we heard a FEMA continuity team came there and go information and then headed west. Somewhere towards Washington state. Walla Walla, I think."

"Why didn't you guys go?"

"Because ranking military ordered us south. Florida...we were to meet some surviving Navy vessels hand off equipment that and some government officials. Diplomats, people like that."

"Where did you land in Florida could you land in Florida."

"Yeah, even with the nukes hitting Orlando...the airstrip at Daytona Beach was functioning."

"Messy like Cleveland...but there was least a little more order. We didn't expect to see what we saw though...that around the 25th or so."

"Okay so what did you see."

"The carrier...USS Nimitz"

"WHOA," Clayton said. "You expect me to believe that a Supercarrier survived the war. The Soviets hit all the damn carriers didn't they?"

"The way they explaned it to me was the Nimitz was still in Virginia, final repairs and weapons upgrades. They were supposed so sail out early February 21st...when the balloon went up. Some of the crew said, they were given a coded order from the President. They went from combat to continuity. They went embassy to embassy getting survivors, Marine guard units, any US military personnel and get them back here. We met them to give spare parts and armaments maybe take on some people. From what I hear the Nimitz made it to dock in Washington State and a bunch of ships followed in a convoy. How they made it, God only knows, especially with all the Soviet subs around."

"So what happened Florida?"

"flying between Ohio, Minnesota and Canada. Royal Canadian Air Force had more resources left than we thought...and more action.."

"More action?" Frank asked.

"Soviets had people poaching military bases that the Canucks fled," the major continued. "Parts, fuel, food anything...A few days ago..some ice cutter in a seaplane saw transports, Soviet transports, landing on the ice and the roads in the Northwest Territories. So the rumors say. The trick is, these rumors could be real because of the all the engagement happening up there."

Clayton said slowly, "Soviet troops are here."

"Not troops," Major Denton said. "But planes and pilots. Based on what the Canadians have told us...There's some fact to this. And after what happened this earlier...well.

"Earlier?" Clayton exclaimed. "What happened..earlier..."

Major Denton was stunned. "You mean, you don't know? There's a storm coming.."

"You mean the snowstorm?" Clayton said. "We have alerts all over the place.."

"I hope your people added a fallout alert with it.."

"There is, but we expected that..."

"Did you expect new fallout?"

Agent Clayton looked at Major Denton hard.."New fallout, Major? What do you mean 'new'"

Major Denton's fear grew. "There's been two nuclear detonations in North America in the last 3 days.. The most recent was maybe 6 hours ago in Canada.."

Toussaint and Frank turned ashen. "We haven't gotten a lot of news from the outside."

Major Denton knew that ashen look of fear. It hadn't left him since February 21st. "That is most of the country right now," he said. "There's a lot that people don't know about what going on. Hell, I barely knew Nebraska existed."

"I guess we are both learning something today," Clayton answered. "I do know we've transmitted radio signals."

"We did hear something from what was said to be from here about a week ago. Supposedly it was a message from the Governor of Nebraska, but nobody believed it. We thought it was pre-recorded.."

FEMA Refugee Center/Fremont High School -- Fremont, Nebraska -- 7:45pm Central Standard Time

Sheriff deputies, CDUs guard the lines. The skies threatening. The temperature dropping...and a group of medial personnel from the local hospitals are passing out medicines and KI pills.

"Nurse Krull," the doctor said. Check on some those we may be worried about as far as this bug going around.

On cue, Jacqui left for a set of classrooms were doctors and nurses were trying to isolate those suspected of the opening phrases of the misnamed "Grand Island Flu"

"Excuse me nurse," A young man a lab coat said. "We need you here...now!"

She went inside and found a group of adults. They didn't look sick.."What is this.."

"Ma'am," Merle said. "Glad we found you."

"Merle," Jacqui said. "What are you doing here?"

"Mr. Tyles sent me," he said. "There's been a change in plan. We have a new mission here, he wants you to lead it."

Merle handed her the message from Tyles calling for the new plan. She was seething, "SO WHAT? That loony Klan Clown is alive!" She thought. "I have my own mission to consider."

"We have to move now...and move quickly," Merle said. "Some of the brothers are planning a diversion."

"What kind of diversion?" Jacqui questioned.

"We have deputies," Merle said. "We don't have time for this...We have to meet a van that leaves in 15 minutes, ma'am!"

"What the hell is this about?" Jacqui said.

"It's about our orders. We have to move now...Mr. Tyles wants this done, period."

Jacqui wonders, "What is going through that man's head?"

Jacqui led the small squad out toward an empty van.

"Nurse were are you taking..."

Jacqui cut the FEMA man off quick, "We caught the GI Bug early with them. We can treat them...We need to move them into the hospital now.."

She bolted past with with the men feigning illness..

Merle send a small 'hang loose' sign to one of the CDUs holding sentry. The man nodded his head to Merle...

Merle whispered to Jacqui. "We have thirty minutes to the operation. They'll create a diversion here. We make the hit outside of town."

The piled into a spare hospital van. Jacqui get into the driver seat. "Head toward US-30...I'll let you know when we get the ambush point," Merle said.

FEMA Food Distribution Center -- North Platte, Nebraska 6:55 pm Mountain Standard Time

The snow is starting to fall. A non-descript man looking road weary gets to the front of the line. "Hungry albeit,"

"Yes, very," the man said as he handed the food ration cards.

"How many in your place, sir"

"Three. Me. My brothers. Trying to find a camp."

"Well, if you head to that building over there. They can help you with accomodations. Do you have ID"

"ID?" The man said confusedly.

"Some way to identify who you are, sir." The clerk said.

"Oh...yes..." The man said haltingly.

"But first things first," the clerk smiled. "Emergency food...and if can get a blanket...It will be cold tonight, and they have to ration power."

"The weary man smiled..."Spasi.....Uh...Thank you."

The man walked away. "I must be more careful even through hunger," he thought.

A van heading west on US-30 -- 8:13pm
"This is no way to treat fellow Christian White Men you know," one of the men said to the driver."

The other deputy in the passenger seat couldn't resist a retort. "If I had my way, you would be dropped right in the middle of Omaha right now. My brother and my best friend got shot up at Snyder Lake over you assholes. "

At the back of the van, a bearded man smirks.

FEMA Refugee Center/Fremont High School -- 8:14pm

A BRUISED woman frantically calls for one of the deputies. "OFFICER THAT MAN STOLE MY FOOD COUPONS... "

She pointed at a stunned black man in the line.

A couple of CDUs swooped down on the man. "Give back the fucking scrip.."

"What the hell are you talking about?" The man said. "Are you jivin'. I've been in this long-ass line the whole time.

One of the CDU planted the crumpled scrip coupons as he argued.. Other deputies came over. People in the line, shouted their objection...

The situation deteriorated....Defending himself ..the man struck the CDU hard as the man tried to pin his arm and cuff him..The line broke into chaos...The real sheriff deputies stepped in....but the situation was too far gone...

US-30 8:15pm...

RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT

Tires shot out.

Jacqui hits the passenger. One shot behind the ear.

A sharpshooter took out the driver...The van careens into a ditch..

Merle pries open the door. Inside are 10 battered men, but they are alive. Merle peers in with a flashlight.

Randall laughs. "I knew you'd stay alive, boy...Just like I taught you..."

Merle smiles slightly. "Mr. Tyles sent us," he said.

Randall keep laughing.."Mr. Tyles...What would I do without him..."

"He's useful to the movement," Merle said.

"That he is...even if he's not totally sold on it," Randall said. "But we'll bring him around...."

Randall climbs out of the wrecked van with the others. By they time they are all out. Jacqui and the sharpshooter come to the van.

"Good to see you Ms. Jacqui," Randall said. "Hot damn you know how to shot don't you."

"All for our people," Jacqui said blandly.

"We need get you back to Wayne," Merle said.

Randall looked up at the skies. "I know, this snow's going to get bad. It already is out west...And they say we got damn more fallout."

A van full of men streaked back to Wayne....as the skies threatened and a cold rain started to fall.

Jacqui came into hospital..looking like she was dazed...She played a hunch...She was right...It was chaos...

"Oh geezus," She moaned..

"Nurse Krull are you alright?"

"I don't know...One minute i was tranferring some people here...The next minute..We we stopped on the road trying to get back...It was chaos around the camp.."

She saw a lot of deputies and refugees.

"It'll be okay, Nurse," the doctor said."

"Wha...Wha happened..."

"There was a riot at the High School...Fire, fights...and then...shooting....One of the damn CDUs starting shooting, and some of the refugees shot back. They said some black guy beat up a white woman and stole her food coupons."

"IT WAS ALL THE DAMN CRACKER'S FAULT!!! One of the refugees yelled...THAT MAN DIDN'T STEAL ANYTHING FROM NOBODY!!!"

The arguing got louder and louder. Jacqui grinned slightly. As much as she was not sold on Randall or his cause...She could see the method to the madness..

"Divide and conquer," Jacqui thought. "Tyler got his aim. Randall got his aim. Now I must achieve mine...for my mother."

to be continued.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what systems exist or existed to detect nuclear detonations?Is it visual,seimic readings?And what would be left of such a system following a full scale nuclear war.

Survival military instillations have the means to record the hard data of a nuclear blast...but mostly...somebody sees a mushroom cloud and they are getting to a radio or tapping up some morse code..

The BRU boys have been in radio contact with surviving installations since it started.

John Farson

Banned
There's still some command structure's left in the USSR.

Keep it up, Chip!:)

It stands to reason that the USSR would have its own Continuity of government protocol.

Though there doesn't seem to be much left of the Soviet government, considering that Cheriev's uncle is described as being the whole Soviet General Staff.

That Colonel mentioned might be the only one in communication. The Volga Command Post at Zhiguli might have survived-unless it took a B-53 gravity bomb or two from B-52s.....The military command may very well have dispersed, though the two main HQs: the Strategic Rocket Forces and the DA (Long-Range Aviation) are no doubt glowing holes in the ground.

CF-20s, wow, where did that come from? If the CF-5 was officially designated the CF-116 would the CF-20 be the CF-117?

I'm wondering exactly the same thing! First off, there was such a thing in the RCAF as the CF-5, also officially designated the CF-116 and licence-built by Canadair. This was the Canadian Forces' designation for the Northrop F-5A/B Freedom Fighter (or Tiger II for the F-5E/F), a light strike and recon fighter. This is the same fighter which was used as enemy MiGs in the movie Top Gun.

But as for the CF-20, I have never, ever heard of such a fighter in the RCAF in OTL at all. Given the name Tigershark, I'm assuming this is the Canadian designation of the early 1980s-era Northrop F-20, which was basically a more advanced version of the F-5. ITTL, it could well be designated the CF-117, but I know in OTL, there is a Canadian military plane with the -117 affixed to it, the CC-117, but that is actually a Canadian military version of the Dassault Falcon 20 bizjet, probably used to carry top brass and other military VIPs.

But in OTL, the F-20 was an utter failure in terms of sales - no military force, even the US military, were interested in buying that fighter. The F-16 was being heavily favoured by the US military and also other foreign military forces. After six years without any buyers, the F-20 was cancelled.

Last edited: