Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not incredibly inaccurate. If you wanted to make a map 4E 201 all you'd need to is show Hammerfell as independent, an insurection in eastern Skyrim, Black Marsh annexed parts of southern Morrowind with the rest divided up into various statelets, Summerset Isles and Valenwood under the Dominion and Elsywer as two puppet states (north and south) of the Dominion.
Strictly speaking, the situation in Morrowind is rather... vague.
Also, it technically has an inaccuracy for late 3E not already mentioned: it lacks the regions between Tamriel and Akavir annexed by the Empire in preparation for Uriel V's campaign against Akavir. Of course, we know basically nothing about them except that and that they were island-kingdoms (monkeytruth aside).
Also, the 2005 date in the bottom left. That sort of gives it away :eek:.
Rather oddly, it has an inaccuracy for what was known in those days: why is Sutch not in Cyrodiil? Even Oblivion hap-hazardly tried to handwave its disappearance as having been ceded to Hammerfell, but on that map there just isn't a Sutch at all.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Vvardenfell was basically destroyed when Red Mountain errupted. I would expect quite a few geological changes in that area.
It's debatable exactly how bad the Red Year was. It seems pretty destructive, civillization is basically wiped out on Vvardenfell, mass Dunmer exodus, large parts of Tamriel have red skies due to the ash all year etc.
However, neither the island of Solsthein or eastern parts of Skyrim are affected. If the eruption is big enough to smash up a small island surely the ash fall would affect the neighbouring province?

I would think northern and central Morrowindl had some bad earthquakes and ash fall, but it wasn't as apocalyptic as the game makes out. The Argonian invasion's what really knocked the shit out of Dunmer.

And that's not actually what I meant, just comparing the location of the cities and towns in Skyrim to the ones in the game show they were based on a map made before the game came out, most likely this one from the Oblivion days. Compare the linked one to a map like this one based on the game, the locations of cities (especially Markarth moving west and Solitude and Winterhold moving south), the non-existance of other hold capitals (Morthal) and several towns marked that just don't exist in the Skyrim game. And when it comes to geography that has changed a bit too, look at the islands north of Morthal or the large lakes in the south.
Well for Morthal and Falkreath not being shown, I would explain that as them technically only being large towns rather then cities. Winterhold is no better to be fair, but that's due to a natural disaster rather than it just being a naturally small town.

As to the geography, personally I'll take this older map and assume that Beths tweaked the Skyrim map a little for the sake of the game.

Strictly speaking, the situation in Morrowind is rather... vague.
I'm writing a Dunmer fan fic do I've had to fill in some of the Morrowind blanks myself. Vvardenfell got blanketed in ash, northern Morrowind got rocked with earthquakes and the south got fucked by Argonians.
With the temple destroyed and the king either fled or killed along with many of his councillors, it's easy to see Morrowind splitting into various factions.

It's debatable exactly how bad the Red Year was. It seems pretty destructive, civillization is basically wiped out on Vvardenfell, mass Dunmer exodus, large parts of Tamriel have red skies due to the ash all year etc.
However, neither the island of Solsthein or eastern parts of Skyrim are affected. If the eruption is big enough to smash up a small island surely the ash fall would affect the neighbouring province?
One can note that the largest city on Vvardenfell had been thoroughly smashed very shortly before the eruption, with at least Vvardenfell-Ebonheart, and almost certainly Mainland-Ebonheart being dragged along. So even if the eruption itself was not that devastating, civilization on Vvardenfell would have taken a severe beating.
Well for Morthal and Falkreath not being shown, I would explain that as them technically only being large towns rather then cities. Winterhold is no better to be fair, but that's due to a natural disaster rather than it just being a naturally small town.
Actually, Falkreath sort-off is on the map... the map seems oddly dependent on Arena's map, even considering it was made in 2005 - look at Falkrenth, that is supposed to be Falkreath.
I'm writing a Dunmer fan fic do I've had to fill in some of the Morrowind blanks myself. Vvardenfell got blanketed in ash, northern Morrowind got rocked with earthquakes and the south got fucked by Argonians.
With the temple destroyed and the king either fled or killed along with many of his councillors, it's easy to see Morrowind splitting into various factions.
It certainly is. My note, such as it would be, is that there is suspiciously little information on how things actually are in Morrowind in 4E 201, considering Skyrim borders Morrowind and has a large Dunmer refugee population.

One can note that the largest city on Vvardenfell had been thoroughly smashed very shortly before the eruption, with at least Vvardenfell-Ebonheart, and almost certainly Mainland-Ebonheart being dragged along. So even if the eruption itself was not that devastating, civilization on Vvardenfell would have taken a severe beating.
It's probably like Pompei writ large, lots of ashen bodies and such.

It certainly is. My note, such as it would be, is that there is suspiciously little information on how things actually are in Morrowind in 4E 201, considering Skyrim borders Morrowind and has a large Dunmer refugee population.
Rather, I would say that most of the refugees have been there awhile, do they'd not really be in the loop on what's going on back home.
Not to mention that the empire won't be involved in Morrowind, they've got other elves too squish.

DaVinciCode

Banned
Except for all the shit that makes EndWar happen of course :rolleyes:

•I would lose the European Federation African areas, instead focus on some client states in north/west/east Africa.
•Russia has annexed Kazachstan and possibly some other Central Asian states.
•Whilst the Middle East will have crawled into a hole to die since the Third Gulf War, the depopulated areas would not be a perfect circle. Large parts of Saudi Arabia would have fractured into small statelets as the oil is now gone. Israel, if it survived, would have expanded into Jordan and Lebanon. Iraq would have collapsed into civil war. Russia would have annexed some northern parts of Iran, other areas would have seceded and the rest would probably be a Russian puppet state.
•Africa would largely be chaotic, as would large areas of Asia. Possibly China and/or India collapses into civil war, maybe due to the impact of Gulf III.
•The Balkans would probably be a mish-mash of European and Russian puppets rather than a large depopulated area.
Took your ideas into consideration and got this. That depopulated aea is the lawless zone referred to in a level. Considering using it for a mapgame.

Endwar2020.png

Krall

Banned
I've heard of a far easier method but I can't remember how it's done........:(

There was a method Thande described once, showing how you could draw vertical lines, select them, and then use MS Paint's "skew" thingy to make them diagonal lines. I'll see if I can find the relevant post, complete with super helpful diagrams.

Edit: Here's the thread in question - the two posts on how to make a country stripey and how to make stripes are a bit down the page.

There was a method Thande described once, showing how you could draw vertical lines, select them, and then use MS Paint's "skew" thingy to make them diagonal lines. I'll see if I can find the relevant post, complete with super helpful diagrams.

Edit: Here's the thread in question - the two posts on how to make a country stripey and how to make stripes are a bit down the page.

Thanks for the assistance. I am working on a map of the world of 'Decades of Darkness' as I would see it in 1953 so this would be quite helpful. :)

From the current map contest...

The most successfully modernizing of the independent Indian states, Vijayangara, had unfortunately come under the political control of a ferocious Hindu-nationalist party, that dreamed of unifying all Hindu India under their rule and expelling such foreign influences as Islam and the European powers which had carved out footholds throughout the North of the Subcontinent. Given an opportunity by the ravaging of Europe in the Technocracy Wars, the armies of Vijayangara surge north. Now, in 1913, after a pause for consolidation, Vijayangaran troops invade the Sultanate of Bihar. Troops enter from the north, as well: with or without the Sultan's permission, the Rajputs and the shrunken but still fairly formidable Khanate of Ind march forth to stop the floodtide from the south: although the Rajputs are fellow Hindus, they have no interest in having the Serpent Empire as a neighbor - much less an overlord.

Will the armies of Vijayangara be stopped by the brave but admittedly more backwards warriors of the north? Will the Sultan-Caliph, angered at the persecution of Muslims, join in against the invaders? What will happen when the struggles in Europe and the Americas come to some sort of conclusion? Nobody knows what their Karma will bring in the end...

Bruce

PS - the Rajah of Ranchi really doesn't like being called the Ranchi Rajah, just so you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.