Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

Cheney is from Wyoming IIRC. And I think the interview would've been, uh, different. :D

Well, not exactly. Cheney was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, and then lived in Sumner, Nebraska. He was a teenager when his family moved to Casper, Wyoming. While I view the idea of Cheney functioning/serving in this capacity as ASBish, mentioning him as a "potential" "DC" seemed both humorous and creative to me.

Now (as the host of "To Tell The Truth" would ask), will the real "DC" please stand up.

I know who it is (highlight the portion following the dots to find out)...Richard Cavett, though you may know him as Dick.

@Unknown. I thought he was Richard Cromelin. Of course I was going off the clue about him interviewing Bowie in 1974...

The clue does indeed show that Richard Cromelin interviewed Bowie in 1974. I concluded that the interrogator was Richard "Dick" Cavett based on that clue. Interesting.

Chip, when will the next update be posted?

Next update -- It will be up on Friday morning Eastern Standard Time.

I'm in the mood to write so I'll be writing tonight.

And a lot through the weekend..

(A sneak peak of a coming update)

"Sir, we're flying out?" Cadet Captain Tina asked..."Where?"

"Hastings to start with," Beechcraft Bob said. "The Doctor at the hospital has devised a syrup to help the kids through this sickness. The medical people in Hastings need this bad, and given how the roads are. We need to fly it there, and perhaps hit all the control towns,"

"Sir, I'm ready, but what of the others. Most of them are fighting this sickness right now. Who's left to to go with you?"

"Well there is you....And Jason...and Tiffany and Scott....two auxiliary cadets are coming along, too.."

"Refugee kids?" Tina moaned, "Those are kids we're going to have to train..Which ones?"

"Jill Prestridge...."

"That little girl???" Tina shrieked...

"Chip Rochelle...."

"NOOOOO! He's...He's...I have nothing in common with him.. He's...weird..."

"In the Air Force there's going to be a lot of people who are going to be weird and different."

"Is there even an Air Force left?"

"Cadet Captain," Bob said sternly. "As long as we have a United States, we will need people to defend it and people to lead it. If you are to be one of those people, Tina, that training starts here. Those two kids have lost a lot more than we have...And they volunteered to come. They'll be looking to you..and you just might learn something from them."

"Yes, sir."

Last edited:
CAP will return to service.
I wonder...how many people in CAP were left from the last time they served in a war? (There are still a number who served in WWII, and some are even still with CAP.)
And, while the USAF and CAP may be devastated, a lot of CAP units are up and running. Even OTL, CAP operates in some communities as the only connection with the USAF.

Land Of Flatwater: Leighton...Part 1

Office of the Mayor -- Kearney, Nebraska -- 3:45pm Central Standard Time -- Thursday March 8, 1984

Three hours. Three assailants. Three versions of the same story. An interrogator's probing nature piqued. A Mayor and the commanding officer of the Combined Forces detachment received the interrogators findings.

"Mayor," Richard said. "What we have here is three young men who are scared, hungry and desperate, but I don't see them being hardened criminals."

The mayor grimaced. "What did they tell you."

"They say their mission was to help figure out how to make more antibiotics and better ones. They say they had help from the inside."

"The national guard and FEMA have swept the hospital and will continue to do so," the Mayor answered.

"I would be inclined to take a closer look at everybody," Richard said.

The Mayor leaned over his desk, "Okay...What are you driving at, Dick."

The interrogator met the Mayor's questioning. "All three of these kids say that they've seen National Guard and some units of the CDU in concert with certain...shall we say 'antisocial' elements...many of those behind some of the attacks this town has dealt with."

"The CO of the combined forces assures me that is not the case, Dick."

"How does he know," the interrogator asked. "How do you know."

"I know my men, sir," the CO said. "If there is a breach in discipline, I'd know about it. I don't need some fancy, soft, New York City boy telling me how to run my outfit."

"Your outfit looks woefully out of style in this new reality," the interrogator retorted. "How many of the attacks have your men stopped? Not the local-based CDUs, but the professional forces, hmm?"

"You both have a lot of ground to cover," the interrogator continued. "Buffalo County got much larger since February 21st, gentlemen. More people, more problems, and more troublemakers. "

"I was able to get a name...the guy you couldn't catch. "

"Okay? Who do we look for?" the CO said.

"You look for a young man named Leighton. 6-foot, black...long-legged...and I hope your boys stretched real good before they try to bring him in...That's what one of the young men in custody said. He's living at Camp Antelope. If you can call it that."

Refugee Center "Camp Antelope" -- along state highway 10 North outside Kearney, Nebraska -- 4:30pm Central Standard Time.

The following is an emergency message from the Continuous Emergency Government of the State of Nebraska -- The State Weather Office in North Platte has issue a snow advisory for all control points beginning at 10pm tonight. We are receiving reports of major snowfalls in Wyoming and Colorado and these weather systems are heading in our general direction. With the increased precipitation and direction of the storm, there is a likelihood of increased radioactive particulates and fallout. Please keep your radios tuned to the Radio Nebraska frequency for further updates.

A lone Sheriff's car heads out toward Camp Antelope, a shantytown of,ready-made, cold, concrete edifices. They sprung up like corn stalks in the weeks prior to the attacks. They were built for maybe 5,000 refugees...Over twice-to-three times that number live here now.

"I can feel it getting colder," Ricky Simmons said from back seat. "C'mon Turner, turn the heat up."

"I can't," Turner Gill said from the driver's seat. "The heater's busted."

"Damn," Mike Rozier thought. "And a snowstorm coming, too? Right now, I wish I was back in Jersey."

"No you don't," Irving Fryar said bleakly. "Camden's gone. Cherry Hill's gone. You can bet the Russians hit Philly hard."

"Turner, what are we doing out here?" Ricky asked.

"The leader of those kids who stole the medicines," Turner replied. "He's in the camp. CO asked us to round him up."

"Why us?"

"Why do you think?" Irving said. "This guy is an athlete. You have to get athletes to catch an athlete...Besides, there's extra food rations for us if we nab him. I don't know about you, but I'm hungry enough to catch Carl Lewis if there's extra food in it."

The car pulled up the gate of the camp. Two national guardsmen manned the gate.

"CDU...Here on orders of Major Vacek..."

The guardsman smiled. "No problem, I know who you four are. We have backup throughout the camp for you. We are under STRICT orders. We don't move unless you say so."

The guardsmen waved them through.

Welcome to Nebraska...after the missiles flew.

Cramped. Exhausting. Almost pioneer. This was Nebraska perhaps in 1884, not 1984.

Even with the barrack buildings, campfires were prevalent. Too many people...Not enough space.

The four men left the car near the command post. They had to enter the camp behind the control on foot.

They cam from all over. Many from Omaha and Lincoln. A few from the Dakotas. Many of them from the Panhandle area. Some drove in from as far west as Denver.. Just driving until their fuel ran out. Running away from the nuclear death that was swooping down from the skies.

Each man spread out, keeping tabs on walkie-talkies...A cacophony of endless noise throughout the camp...A few radio sets piercing the late afternoon.

They'll kick you, they'll beat you and they'll tell you its fair...so beat it...

Turner pulled up the hood in his sweatshirt. Blending into the populace. His CDU armband covered up. Each of the four went around asking about a person called "Leighton".

"Units, I think I've found him. One of the refugees pointed his spot. They said it was #27."

"He had to pick my number, huh." Irving said..

"Cut the chatter, we meet quietly and quickly...out," Turner replied.

The inside building #27, one man is working. Sweeping his little corner of the world. He is known to many in the camp. Keeps to himself for the most part, but helps anybody in need.

At night he plays his music through a small CB transmitter to anybody who will listen. The rhythms are foreign to many here, soothing. His small cassette player pumping out a song about something that seems to be in short supply these days.

Let's get together to fight this Holy Armageddon (One love)
So when the Man comes there will be no, no doom (One song)
Have pity on those whose chances grow thinner
There ain't no hiding place from the Father of Creation

Sayin', "One love, one heart
Let's get together and feel all right."

Ricky was the first there. He found one of the people leaving the building. He followed him..

"Say brother,"

"What you want?" the man asked. The cadence of his voice suggested a place far away from where they were.

"No sweat here brother. I notice you got a little something. I could use that take the edge off.

At the same moment, Mike was strolling through. Being an East Coast cat, he could talk to the man. He'd feel a little more at ease.

"Say, listen man," Mike said. "Follow me. We know you got the ganga."

The man perked up. The person talking to him definitely wasn't posing the way the some of their classmate at Kearney State tried to.

"Whacha know 'bout tem ganga. Who say we have that here?"

"C'mon bruh," Mike said. "Not much you can hide here, besides. I can put something on it. You take care of me. I see tings get handled for you....like food.

"Food? We get food."

"Not the type of food we can get."

"You some pirates..We don't deal with dem piracies y'know. We don't do that. Not rightious."

"What the hell," Ricky exclaimed.

"Ricky, man...I got this...Listen friend...We don't do that. That's those crazy white people attacking the camps and the town. Do we look like them?"

"Not all dem bandits and teeves are them. Some of them are us, brudder."

Ricky and Mike where both taken aback by that.

You two look new here. Never seen you before. Where you been?

"Visiting my peoples in Omaha when it happened," Mike said. "We evacuated the day before it all went down. We drove until we couldn't drive and then we've walking and hiding, finding shelter. We got here maybe 3 days ago.

So what we can do to get the goods?

"What you got?"

Mike pulled out the special food ration coupons. Not the civilian scrip, but the special scrip. The ones the troops receive. It was "flash money". CDUs normally don't receive this accommodation.

The man spoke up, "Where you get these? Only soldierman get dem ducats."

"We have ins with the soldierman.." Mike said."You work with us. We work with you."

Across the crowded compound, Turner and Irving set up. They couldn't hear what was being said. From the looks of things, the deal wasn't closed, but was in process.

"Well den...This changes matters. Come with me..."

Turner saw the three of them move through the crowds of people, all dirty, tired, hungry..The weather was turning from just nippy to cold...Slowly the sky was getting darker...and it wasn't just the time of day..

The three headed into the barracks when Turner and Irving snuck up from behind, both of them with weapons loaded and ready..

Turner placed a finger to his lips as he drew on the man.."Sssh," he whispered. "CDU...Open the door slowly. Raise a fuss, and we have to beat you down. Understand?"

"Was this? Bumbaclatt!!! LEIGHTON!!!! SOLDIERMAN!!!!"

Mike punched the man out..Turner and Irving raced to the back.."Get in there, find what you can..

Leighton jumped out of a window and headed into compound...Legs smoothly churning as he raced in between people...Some tried to get in the way of the pursuing CDUs. Irving drew a bead on him and was trying to run him down..

Turner was crisscrossing through the camp. Over bodies, through tents, anything to find a shortcut to negate the obvious speed advantage of the man they were chasing.

Leighton turned another corner. He was a tornado at this point. Refugees scrambled to get out of his way. He turned another corner, anything to lose the tail of a determined once-wide receiver.

Irving Fryar is fast. Football fast. But he was entering a new dimension of speed here. Leighton seemed to cut through the crowds. Slowly, Leighton got smaller and smaller in the distance ahead. "DAMN!!!" irving thought, " I have never ran this fast, and I'm losing ground!"

Leighton was nearing one of his favorite exit ways. The drainage ditch...He was almost there...almost there...

THWACK!!!!!

Turner cut the sprinter in half as if Leighton was a cornerback who intercepted a pass..

Leighton tried to struggle..."I suggest you don't fight back," Turner said. "Keep quiet and you don't get hurt. You're wanted at Town Hall."

"You damn idiot," Leighton protested. "Doin' the business of dem people! Dem people attacking the camps!"

"Save it for the interrogator, man."

Leighton continued to protest, "I've done nuttin' but help these people. They dyin' mon. You don't see this....Damn vampires all of you! How many more die, eh? How many more, while you and your soldiers prey on us!"

to be continued

Last edited:
I was in Maple Heights, about 7 miles southeast of Cleveland, on The Day. Did I see the flash of Akron getting hit, I was wondering?

I was in Maple Heights, about 7 miles southeast of Cleveland, on The Day. Did I see the flash of Akron getting hit, I was wondering?
Maybe? Hopefully Jan (JN1) comes on and gives more insight. I'm thinking yes because the warhead hitting Akron would have been an airburst...

The following is an emergency message from the Continuous Emergency Government of the State of Nebraska -- The State Weather Office in North Platte has issue a snow advisory for all control points beginning at 10pm tonight. We are receiving reports of major snowfalls in Wyoming and Colorado and these weather systems are heading in our general direction.

From whom would they be getting these reports? That implies contact with someone in both states.

I would assume yes, the flash from an initiation is pretty bright. IIRC the one from the Trinity test was seen for miles around.

Aye. According to a letter from Gen. Leslie Groves to the Secretary of War on 18 July 1945:

"The light from the explosion was seen clearly at Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Silver City, El Paso and other points generally to about 180 miles away. "

http://www.atomicarchive.com/Docs/Trinity/Groves.shtml

From what I can find, a 1MT device is alleged to be able to cause flash blindness ~20km away on a clear day, and ~85km away on a clear night. It's unclear whether said blindness would be permanent - it apparently depends on whether the subject is looking directly at the flash.